[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No survivalist crap!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: RV.jpg (48KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
RV.jpg
48KB, 500x333px
Hey diynos! I know some will say this is an /o/ question, but I just can't deal with those retards. I just got an inheritance from an aunt. It's enough to take a year off and just drive. I want an RV, but not the flimsy crap that they try to foist off as basically a rolling hotel room. I want something I can take way north on the north american continent without worrying as much about snow, rough roads and crap like that. Would I be better off buying a pic-related, or buying a surplus military vehicle and converting it myself? Basically decent off-roading to get somewhere, but not just to be off-roading. I've looked at a few websites, and honestly, I don't think I need something bulletproof. I just want something that seems more durable than the crap at my local camping world.
>>
>>927683
If funds, time and skill permit, I would be going ex military custom job all day every day. Milspec will always be more beefcake than civvy (unless you're paying stupid amounts of money, in which case again, should be spent on a custom solution that does everything you need if you have that kind of dosh) and you won't feel so bad about punching holes through the thing to run your own gear as you would a brand new vehicle.

Whats your budget?
>>
I'm looking at about 120-150k. that would stlll leave me 200k to enjoy the year.
>>
>>927683
Don't go ex-military. That's way more Toughness than you need and its going to get godawful mileage, which will cost a money when gas goes back up in a couple years. Just buy a van and convert it, unless you are going to do serious off-roading.
>>
Dude, if it's just you, go with something like this:
http://www.sportsmobile.com/sportsmobile-4x4/

Similar conversions exist, and run around 40-60k, saving you a fuckton of cash.
>>
>>927717
>http://www.sportsmobile.com/sportsmobile-4x4/
I second this. Buddy has an old 4WD Dodge camper van they we take on trips and it is a beast. Those look way more comfortable though.
>>
File: unimog-camper.jpg (77KB, 520x346px) Image search: [Google]
unimog-camper.jpg
77KB, 520x346px
Get yourself a Unimog. Those fuckers can be modded to do any job you can think of, and there's a strong community of mog owners who can tell you what to do if you need guidance.
>>
Can I be the asshole that recommends you spend as little as humanly possible on this quest, and intelligently invest the majority of it? $350k is no joke and could make your life much easier in the future. The power of compound interest is amazing. Fuck around with the numbers here for a minute.

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/investing-calculator#/entry_form
>>
>>927728
The other 3.5 mil is invested already. This is half of what was liquid. She owned a chain of craft stores that did quite well until she sold them 4 years ago.
>>
>>927720
I REALLY like the looks of that sprinter version. Just sent them an email. Thanks Anon! goodnight guys!
>>
File: desert3.jpg (29KB, 288x217px) Image search: [Google]
desert3.jpg
29KB, 288x217px
>>927683
your trade off is mass.
if you want an ubertrek9001 then the whole thing needs to have been strengthened to go offroad. in australia the vehicle of choice for serious offroading and camping is the troop carrier.

the unimog is a stupid lumbering beast. great as an all terrain vehicle, but as that guy last year was asking about buying a 60 ton soviet tank for offroading, the weight would have made it unable to drive near a city due to bridge, road loading restrictions and its 1mpg fuel consumption.

you can get canopies for extra living space if you need.
>>
>>927767
I jelly
>>
Buy a military transport truck. Cheap, tough and all terrain. Some have less than 40k miles on them. Add some metal siding and windows and an inner wall to the back. Already has a wood floor so sub floor it. Really easy to work on. surplus auctions all the time, you can get them under 2k if your lucky. Farmers use them all the time.
>>
Id get a 4x4 truck with a camper that sits up on top of the truck.

Towing sucks.
>>
File: Tatra8X8.jpg (49KB, 450x279px) Image search: [Google]
Tatra8X8.jpg
49KB, 450x279px
>>927721
for the price of a unimog he could get a 8x8 tatra
>>
get a big rv and tow a jeep behind it
its what most people do
>>
Pic related op.

Bigfoot rv campers are the best for cold climate.
My neighbor has one and uses it up in willow, ak
>>
File: FordSportsmobile.jpg (75KB, 600x331px) Image search: [Google]
FordSportsmobile.jpg
75KB, 600x331px
>>927683
Just came here to mention SportsMobile.
>>
>>927767
>Inherited almost 4mil
>Enough to take a year off

Bro, if you're not just doing this as some circlejerk what-if exercise, that is easily enough to love off for the rest of your life comfortably.

That being said. If you want to /diy/, build it out of a military vehicle. If you just want to hit the road, buy something purpose built.
>>
>>928289
this, but with a Ford

;)
>>
File: ZIL 131.jpg (2MB, 2028x1359px) Image search: [Google]
ZIL 131.jpg
2MB, 2028x1359px
I introduce you to the ZIL 131. Less than 10mpg, Soviet V8 heart, six-wheel drive, room for a custom camper in the ex-radio compartment. Go anywhere, go everywhere. These things were built not just for the Soviet army, they were built to survive the USSR.

Hell, they were built to survive the Cold War and keep on going. Want something rugged, non flimsy and reliable? Buy a ZIL 131, comrade.
>>
>>928612
No, it's not a what-if. The liquid I'm also using to fix up my house. New roof, geothermal, and a new bathroom. The rest is already invested, and I don't have to do a thing with it. My mom and dad are both gone, and I'm an only child. Hell, my aunt Patty had been my only family for the last 6 years. I just want to bury myself in something for a while. I kinda just hid after my mom passed away, and my dad has been gone since I was 19. I just want the fuck out of my life for a little while.
>>
>>927683
If you wanna go semi-minimalistic, get a pinzgauer. The newer ones arn't that small now
>>
>>927721

overpriced as fuck chinese steel
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.