[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wifi reaching a detached basement unit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (151KB, 1078x1239px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
151KB, 1078x1239px
Has anyone ever had to do something like this?

I'm moving to a new apartment, and in my new building, each apartment has its own corresponding "basement" which is basically a single room w/ door found in the underground hallway, accessible by the stairwell. Most people use these for storage but I've noticed mine is fully equipped with electrical outlets and heaters. It's big enough to set up some sort of office or vidya center (inb4 cuckshed) but I'm not sure how I'll get my wifi down there.

I've seen these wifi repeaters but they seem to be designed for mcMansions and I question if they can penetrate all the metal and concrete between my front door and my basement which is all the way at the end of the hall (pic related). And since repeaters are typically placed at the halfway point between the router and the intended receiver, I doubt I'd be able to set one up in the stairwell or the basement hallway where anyone could steal it.

My budget is about $150 to get a wifi signal down there that's good enough for some console/pc gaming and youtube, but I'd be willing to increase my budget to about $300 if it means getting wifi down there that's damn near as strong as it is in my apartment. I'm just worried about buying a repeater only to find out it can't do the job.

Suggestions? Sorry but I don't know the dimensions of the building since I'm not there yet.
>>
File: Ethernet_Cable3.jpg (31KB, 272x174px) Image search: [Google]
Ethernet_Cable3.jpg
31KB, 272x174px
>>920361
Wi-Fi
What are you casul?
>>
>>920365
Just like property management won't let me set up a repeater in the common areas, they certainly won't let me run cable from my front door, down the stairwell, through the basement hallway and into my basement unit.
>>
>>920361
dude, just run a cable down there through some shaft, along water pipes or something like that.

even if somebody found out, and it would have been against the houserules, its not like theyd kick you out...
>>
>>920366
Out the window bell end.
>>
>>920367
You're making a lot of assumptions about the layout of the building. There's no hidden chute/hole for me to feed cord down there, it would be very obvious to all the tenants
>>
>>920369
Even worse
>>
>>920366
So your asking how you can teleport ones and zeros from point A to point B through concrete with a 150 American peso budget, but not have it piss of your land lord?
Simple, put your 150 in an offshore oil rigging investment, or preferred drug or human trafficking ring.
Give it a few years and if inflation stops being a thing in a millennium you'll have enough money to invest in a photon coupling two way communicator.
Ring one side of the communicator to your Ethernet port with the supplied adapter and the other side to your gaymung laptop.
And enjoy your neighbours weeps of joy.

The other way is having an antenna that has enough power to fry your future children right in their purse, and getting approval to keep in in your apartment.
>>
File: ITNERNET.jpg (85KB, 439x337px) Image search: [Google]
ITNERNET.jpg
85KB, 439x337px
>>920361
laser beams.

get two devices to convert your internet into lasers. then, all you have to do is mount tiny mirrors in the corners and bounce it down to your dungeon.
>>
>>920371
ofc there is, there must be something in thekitchen or bathroom
>>
Couldnt you just politely ask somebody to swicth the basement units with you? If you offered to move all their shit to yours?
>>
>>920361
>give $150 to your landlord
>run a cable wherever you need
>ez pz
>>
See NETGEAR PowerLine 1200 kit. Sends networking over Electrical power lines
>>
File: 1422782437487.jpg (1MB, 2496x1664px) Image search: [Google]
1422782437487.jpg
1MB, 2496x1664px
>>920367
>dude, just run a cable down there through some shaft,
>along water pipes

there's no good reason you couldn't run a length of outdoor rated CAT5 inside a water pipe. at each end, splice in a fitting to get the wire out (rubbery compression fittings or something). feed a mouse in at the upstream fitting, open a faucet downstream and it'll fish itself.
>>
>>920377
He's on a 150$ budget, he needs an at least 5kW laser to cut through the peski neighbours on the stairs so as to have an uninterrupted signal, maybe he could find one second hand?
>>
>>920382
The basement outlets aren't on the same circuit as the apartment
And they only work with 110v outlets, whereas I'm using European outlets
>>
>>920384
that would be fucking awesome, but good luck feeding the cable where you need
also have fun drinking the phtalates that will dilute in the water
>>
If there is an electrical circuit breaker in your apartment for your basement outlets the power line adapters should work very well. Ideally if you can find a outlet in your apartment that is on the same circuit as your basement it should work perfect.
>>
>>920377
you could just put one tiny mirror on the other side of the street and youll be set
>>
Do this OP, its much easier and cheaper than you think >>920392 just befriend somebody from the other building to have your mirror safe.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Laser-Transceiver/
>>
You can buy euro electrical versions of the power line adapters and at $60 you can try it and return it if it doesn't work.
>>
>>920361
Ignore these guys.

Directional wifi is absolutely up to what you're trying to do. Use a directional link between your flat and the cellar, then a conventional AP or wired ethernet for the cellar's actual network.

Ubiquiti, I've heard, do good point-to-point wifi products.
>>
>>920367
Yes, the OP needs to put the Ethernet cable through the old dumbwaiter shaft then through the disused prohibition tunnel into the trash incinerator room. Pass the Alchemy Department door, you don't' need to run the cable through there.
>>
>>920361
You can use normal wifi for this. Make 2 "Wokfi" and point them both at the same building. Even through the walls, if need be, though better of both locations have windows to do this through, it isn't brick friendly.

Anyway, the signal will bounce of the other building to reach. I do this to give wifi to someone I know. We bounce the signal around an entire building by reflecting it off another building.
>>
>>920384
>run a length of outdoor rated CAT5 inside a water pipe

That won't last long at all. 1st of all, the pipes will most likely be corroaded inside if they are metal and have wicked build up if they are any good age at all. Also, the water will move the wire and easily wear a hole in the plastic, by rubbing it against the pipe wall (even a plastic pipe) until it shorts out.

Not only that, but you don't just shove something like that down a pipe. You take the pipe apart and push it through in sections then put the pipe together again.

If anyone here has ever pushed wire through a conduit pipe, you know what I mean.
>>
Load a WiFi mapping program on your phone or computer and find out if any of your neighbors WiFi will get to your underground bunker. ...
>>
>>920388
>The basement outlets aren't on the same circuit as the apartment

most likely the entire building is on the same circuit. ultimately, this building, and several more beside it, tie back to the same street transformer, which may carry enough signal to be useful. you just have to try these things, and if it doesnt work with one plug, try another and another before you give up.
>>
>>921248
Only good suggestion.

My building has storage units too but with no outlets or heat and they're not very big.

I got a light socket to 110 outlet adapter and I cracked one of my neighbor's wifi. I use their connection to torrent on because I'm a dick. I schedule it to run from 1-6am because I'm not a total dick and don't want them to look into it.

Been doing it for 2+ years.

Before that I live in an apartment building and I never bothered to even get internet because I had three neighbors who I could leech off.

Learn to aircrack.
>>
>Learn to aircrack.

yeah, this was an option back in the WEP days, but it takes forever with WPA.

one trick that i've been somewhat successful with is using WPS. when you hear your neighbor has guests, try to connect with WPS as the neighbor may activate it to let the guests check their facebook.
>>
File: barbie_and_friends.jpg (139KB, 600x630px) Image search: [Google]
barbie_and_friends.jpg
139KB, 600x630px
>>920361
Get two yagi and holder for them. Get two WiFi sets with decent output like an alfa awush036xxx. Get 2 wr703n set them up as a full duplex WiFi bridge.
>WiFi-wifiwr703n-usb703n-wifialfa-wifialfa2-usbwr703n2-wifiwr703n-wifi sounds complicated but isn't total setup time 2h total cost 200$ 40 yagi 25 alfa 20 wr703n x2
Ugot a 2w + yagi (18dbm) full duplex WiFi connection.
>>
>>921850
>WiFi-wifiwr703n-usb703n-wifialfa-wifialfa2-usbwr703n2-wifiwr703n-wifi sounds complicated but isn't
So explain it then
>>
>>922170
Explain what?
>>
>>922288
WiFi-wifiwr703n-usb703n-wifialfa-wifialfa2-usbwr703n2-wifiwr703n is a bigass string of mumbo jumbo to me but you said it's not complicated. Telling me it's not complicated doesn't help much so please explain what you mean by WiFi-wifiwr703n-usb703n-wifialfa-wifialfa2-usbwr703n2-wifiwr703n
>>
>>922298
Get 2x wr703n micro router, flash with open wrt.
Get 2x alfa awush036xxx (for example h) , connect to wr703n with usb.
Get 2x yagi antenna with holder (you can try without) and connect to the alfa WiFi card.
The yagis are richtantenne? So make sure to let them face each other.
Configure the first wr703n to receive your home WiFi and to send with the alfa awush036xxx.
Configure the second alfa awush036xxx to connect to the first alfa awush036xxx.
Setup the second wr703n to receive with the alfa awush036xxx over usb and work as an ap over its own WiFi.

Got a working setup with 6km over the air, should get you 75-100m under the earth with at least 12mbit/s = +1MB/s and an additional ping of 20ms. Any router with usb host function and open wrt compatibility should work. Alfa is a decent brand of versatile hacker friendly WiFi cards beware of fakes! You can try the setup with 2x 9dbm antennas first ans see how it works.

>hope it's simple enough for op.
>>
>>920381
That's not a bad idea
>>920361
I'm assuming you're in the states, I'm in the uk so don't know if it would work the same but I have lan electric socket extender plugs. One plugged into the mains electric downstairs behind the router, another in the spare bedroom upstairs where the WiFi is terrible, then lan straight to xbox.
Can pick them up for £30 or so, and most places will let you return them if they don't work just check first.
Fyi I found they had to be straight into the wall, not on an extension splitter etc
>>
File: TL-PA511_KIT-US-02.jpg (309KB, 1280x775px) Image search: [Google]
TL-PA511_KIT-US-02.jpg
309KB, 1280x775px
What are you guys doing, this should be the only post in this thread.

Powerline ethernet
>>
>>922502
Wow, I just read some post's here and feel like technology is full of autistic retards, op should go to a normi forum and ask this.
>>922508
Well like he said(and others) , dlan could do the trick, just get them and test it, if not working return it.
>>
>>922508
I'm an American but living in Germany actually.
If I find a lenient return policy on these things I'll try them but since it's US government-funded housing (military) I have some strong doubts that the one in my apt will link with the one in the basement. If it does, hopefully the entire building's electricity usage won't interfere with them much.
>>922515
I posted this same thing in /g/ and got nothing but shitposts and assclowns, and so far I've gotten more reasonable advice in /diy/. But maybe I'll find a normie forum too. Any recommendations?
>>
>>922511
Only works if both outlets are on the same circuit.
>>
>>922511
the only post because op installs them and then has wasted so much money on such a piece of shit product and has such terrible connection that he promptly kills himself out of embarrassment.

we have been over this, wired is the only choice of the non retard

wifi is suitable for portable devices without ethernet port

powerline is aids gimmick meme tech tier
>>
> "but I've noticed mine is fully equipped with electrical outlets and heaters.."

I'd be slightly dubious about that for a start, unless your non-metred (standard usage charge) electricity anyway - in my experience of communal German cellar rooms (wot are indeed common), you'll be lucky to get a lightbulb on a 30-second timer. And if there was indeed 'one cellar room with free leccy, heating and fully-stocked beer fridge', somebody would have stolen it already, sure as sh!t.

2nd running cable, just act like your entitled, no-one argue. And to the nut previous, claiming Cat5 disintegrates after 20 seconds exposure to UV, I dunno - you buying the wrong cable, I've ran it over roofs, in snow, in sun, through birds nests, etc. - never had one break yet, ideally, should not be used as clothes drying line extension as well or whatever tho.
>>
>>922820
Hold the fuck up ya cunt, i've been using powerlines for the last 4 years and i'm currently getting 14meg, this house is an old barn though, I was getting 19 in the bungalow.
>>
>>922827
My situation is quite unique since this is an apartment complex paid for by the US Army in Germany. The regular apartment has mostly European outlets with a few US outlets, but I think the basement has only European outlets. As far as I can tell, I do not pay utilities, it's included in rent. In fact, I don't technically pay rent either, they just forgo paying me a housing allowance while I live in their housing.
And perhaps most important, this also means I don't have a typical "landlord" that I can negotiate with. The building is under the Army's housing office's jurisdiction, so any special agreements would go through them, and they're an office staffed exclusively by grumpy Indian women who follow Army policy to the letter. To give you an idea of how strict they are, I'm not allowed to use my own A/C unit in the summer to compensate for the building's lack of A/C. "It will leak condensation and warp the floor" they say... "Just use fans" they say...
>>
>>921275
I hear that's prison time if you get caught.
>>
>>922834
Check your ping and packet loss pleb. Unacceptable for anything other than checking your Facebook. Maybe not actually a problem outside of Australia though our pleb tier providers give us data quotas. Downloading torrents or gaming over WiFi means I'd use about double the traffic due to lost packets.
>>
>>922861
I have no idea what that means but utorrent gets me a 4gig film in 4, 5 minutes and no lag while online gaming, fuck you only need 3meg for gaming, it's more about your upload speed, which is 5meg using powerlines.
>>
>>920361
lasers
>>
bamp
>>
>>921449
>yeah, this was an option back in the WEP days, but it takes forever with WPA.

OP has more than enough time. Also WEP is still extremely common.

>>922844
You heard wrong.
>>
>>920382
>>921261
>>922511
The problem with being on the 'same circuit' isn't about the two adapters being electrically isolated from each other. If they're in the same building, chances are that they aren't electrically isolated unless the power flips or the building uses 3 stage power (which I have nearly no understanding of). The issue is as soon as you have to go through a breaker box, the distance between the two adapters effectively doubles. If they're on the same breaker, the only distance between them is the wire length between them. If they're on different breakers, the signal then has to travel to the breaker and then back to the other adapter. The distance just within one house between two breakers makes the packet loss so bad that the two adapters can't see that they're on the same network.

>>920390
This is correct.
>>
The distance to the beaker panel can be an issue. Typical residential power in the USA is 240 VAC single phase over 2 large hot wires with a common and ground. When you connect to one hot and common you get 120 VAC. So the problem is if the Plowerline adapters are on circuits that are on separate hots, the digital signal has to go to the step down transformer ( probably much farther way) and pass through the transformer and then you loose the digital signal trying to pass through the transformer. The thing is, the best way to find out is by buying the Power adapter and testing it.
>>
>>924375
>you heard wrong
I remember reading, not too long ago, about such a case in the news. The case also involved the neighbor using their Netflix account, which is what got him jail time. Couldn't find the article but while searching I came across this extremely kek-worthy story:

http://www.wired.com/2011/07/hacking-neighbor-from-hell/
>>
>>922502
>richtantenne?

we say "directional antennae"
>>
OP here.
Come to think of it, with the building layout, although the basement has no windows, my balcony hangs off the same side of the building as my basement, so do you think if I had a yagi setup on the balcony pointing at the basement, it might work? The signal still has to pass through a concrete wall and the earth surrounding it but that would be way less walls than if I pointed the signal through the buildings interior.

Also I think the basement unit next to mine has a window and is not in use... might see how discreetly I can run a cord from it to mine if I can get an antenna near the window
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.