[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would like to build a diy TV stand for a 50" tv. A lot of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

Would like to build a diy TV stand for a 50" tv. A lot of the plans I find online want me to have 3 power saws and shit. I have a power drill and a power driver. No saws at all so Lowe's will have to cut the lumber for me. I like chunky stuff like pic related but I just need a normal thing with 4 legs. Any good plans out there?
>>
Do you have a sander? Clamps?

If so, simply clamp and glue a bunch of 2x3's together to make a chunky top, sand them smooth, and use black iron pipe for legs.

The poor bastard at the hardware store can cut and thread the pipe for you too.
>>
File: i-5K2D7WG-L.jpg (70KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-5K2D7WG-L.jpg
70KB, 799x450px
>>1216210
Spend the money on some tools.
Cheap shit will work for a few projects. Figure out what you want, what tools you use the most. Then upgrade to something better.

My jigsaw and palm sander are both harbor-freight specials. Cheap as fuck. They've worked for a couple projects now.
Had a HFT circ saw. It got me through a few projects. Upgraded to a cordless system.

Tools pay for themselves pretty quick.

Any reason you can't wall-mount the TV?
>>
>>1216217
iron pipe legs look like garbage for guys with beards and black plastic glasses

>>1216221
I live in apartments, woodcutting tools are not something i'm going to own
>>
>>1216221
Buying power tools at Harbor freight is like throwing money away. Buy a $30 drill that barely works and will break after x uses and have to buy another, or think of that $30 as half of a proper drill that will go through lumber like butter and last 10 years. The cheap prices are only worth it on wrenches sockets hammers etc. Shit with no moving parts where the terrible Chinese quality doesn't matter much.
>>
>>1216355
Meh, I've found that HF is more shitty quality control than it is shitty quality.
To get something of better quality, either haunt estate sales or be prepared to drop $200-300 on a good drill, $60 will get you the same chinesium shit.
You've got to read the reviews online before buying. And occasionally they're actually more expensive than HD or Amazon.
How high do you want the tv to be?
Because shitpost me says by 2x12, cut to 60", Put on floor with tv on top, done.
>>
>>1216354
So put wooden legs on it. Fuck, they come premade with hanger bolts attached already. Do you really need plans for something this simple?
>>
File: saw.jpg (40KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
saw.jpg
40KB, 1000x1000px
OP, there is such a thing as a hand saw. Manual style. Minimal noise. Cuts real good. Just takes a little more elbow grease.
>>
>>1216210
>No saws at all so Lowe's will have to cut the lumber for me

enjoy your 80-110deg angles and +/-3/4" cuts
>>
>>1216437
If you go during the morning the dept manager is usually working and is usually white.
>>
>>1216437
uh bro i dunno about your lowes but mine puts it in a machine and they punch in the size of the wood and it gets cut using a laser and shit.
>>
>>1216221
wall mounted tvs look like shit, very rarely does it look decent and usually only with a recess
>>
File: IMG_1693.jpg (738KB, 740x987px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1693.jpg
738KB, 740x987px
>>1216210
>>
>>1217270
>MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!
Its not just good, Its *good enough!*
>>
>>1217282
sometimes I even put a towel under the TV.. really classes the joint up you know next level like...
>>
>>1216210
You could always use a hand saw.

And if your goal is something chunky like that just throw some wood together with screws. You can't fuck it up, it's impossible.
>>
>>1216210
If you want to mimic your picture that should be easy as fuck depending on how good you want the finish to look
>Buy four bits of wood, get shop to cut them for you
>Decide how you want to join it all
>Butt join - drill countersunk holes in the top and bottom and fasten side pieces with big long wood screws, plus wood glue
>Finger join - snap together with wood glue
>Biscuit join - get the edges all cut 45° off and slots cut for the biscuits, glue together
>Get some wooden feet pucks and screw them to the bottom
>Sand it down all nice like
>Wood stain/varnish to taste
>>
>>1216210
You aren't going to build anything like pic related without some serious shop tools. Even if Lowes cuts to length. Pick a style with a rougher finish.
>>
>>1218832
>You aren't going to build anything like pic related

You can buy already glued-up shelf stock at most big box lumber stores, maybe just pine and spruce at HD or Lowe's, but still. If you're willing to skip the fancy side shit at the right end, and substitute some other thing for separator/legs -- chunks of big fat dowel stock, iron pipe, whaterver -- you can knock this out in less than an afternoon... other than final sanding/finishing.
>>
>>1216354
>iron pipe legs look like garbage for guys with beards and black plastic glasses
Then use aluminum extrusions? Clean and industrial looking
>>
>>1216210
I'd like to see anyone join all those 2x4s without a planer and joiner or a table saw.
>>
>>1220021
First, I think you mean joint. Second, you buy good, straight 2x4's, glue them up, bring them over and I'll gladly show you how it's not nearly as difficult or time consuming as you're thinking it is. I get to keep it all when I'm done...
>>
>>1216460
It doesn't always help. In a lot of stores, the equipment just sucks. I watched a guy set up their panel saw, measure everything 2-3 times, get it all lined up, and still end up with a cut that looked like it had been done with an ax by a palsied chimpanzee.
>>
>>1216210
Lowes employee here.

Fuck you. Ill make sure every cut is wrong just enough to fuck you and charge you for each one.

Pro tip we only guarantee 1/2" accuracy
>>
>>1220990
1/2" accuracy? Oh come on now, I seriously doubt you can get that close.
>>
>>1220990
You come off as a bitter faggot that can't get a better job than retail in this post. Do your job or kys.
>>
>>1220990
Boo hoo you actually have to do your job instead of hiding away in a corner jacking off and avoiding social interaction.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.