[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Armor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (9KB, 187x270px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 187x270px
Hello /DIY/
I was wondering the best way to make armor for cosplay like my pic.
I was thinking about having a papercraft base with paper-mache to give it the hardness and thickness.
Any other idea, suggestions?
>>
All the best armour I've seen has been foam floor tiles sculpted into shape with a heat gun and some precision cuts.
Fine details can be carved in or glued on with thinner foams and plastics.

Tonnes of resources for this sort of thing online, I'd look up Punished Props on youtube as a starting point

/cgl/ might be a better place to ask if they aren't busy talking about crusty vaginal discharge building up in their costumes.
>>
>>1095955
I didn't go to /cgl/ because of that, plus I need more of the materials and building aspect.
Google wasnt that help ful, but I willvheck out the channel. Thanks
>>
>>1095988
Here's how you go about it, it will definitely need a base of some type that will be the bulk of material, foam is excellent for this because it is easy to carve with a $20 harbor freight hot knife but you can go with wood or something else just cut the rough shapes as close as possible to the final shape, then grab some bondo and gloves and give it a healthy coating of bondo bigger than the final shape. You don't need to make it perfect because the next step is sanding, use 36 then 80 then 120 then 200 grit sand paper to form it into the exact shape

Bondo is hard and pretty resilient so it should make it pretty resilient in the long run as well and give you a great surface to paint.

After painting just fasten it together with paracord

For the thin plating i suggest some thin acrylic (Lowe's carries it in the custom cut windows area under the name optylex), shape it with a hot gun (it will get soft when hot and you can bend it to its final shape, hold it that way until it hardens)

After forming it, again use bondo the prep the surface for painting.

You can use an acrylic window with some stick on window tinter for the visor and mouth area

Use a couple pieces of pvc pipe as the base for the gun and then use foam and bondo again

Add some shit colored pants and your costume will be complete

I also suggest using a shirt that is well fitting with thick cloth as the base so you can take it all off easily

I warn you though, that costume won't be complete before Thursday unless you don't have a job
>>
>>1095999
Thanks, foam sounds good sense i have a nice hot knife.
This was exactly what i was looking for
>>
>>1095999
This is pretty much exactly what I was going to suggest, except better. Listen to this guy OP.
Also, checked.
>>
>>1095999
Foam board insolation stuff or the rolls of foam?
>>
>>1095885
Get in touch with some of the 501st guys and see if they've got any templates which might help out
>>
>>1096038
Stiff is what you want

No rolls

At any big box retailer they have insulation foam boards in 4x8 that are around 2" thick, it will be the cheapest option
>>
>>1095999
Bondo is merely a brand of filler. From my dad's experience with using it, it's a pretty crappy one at that. It seems Bondo has an issue (in the long run) where it shrinks over time.
For a professional auto body job that would be terrible.
For a cosplay, probably not such a big deal.
>>
>>1096142
Yeah i use a boat filler for everything myself but you can pick up bondo at harbor freight/Lowe's/home depot so op won't need to run to a specialty shop

Bondo is the 3m filler btw and you only get the shrinking issues if you use too much of the hardener like everyone does, there's a big difference between pea size like they recommend and bean size like everyone does
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.