[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ultimate Avengers Volume 1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 237

Just recently bought the omnibus so I thought I might share a part of it. Can't do a full thread but I can do six issues. Starting with the first issue of Ultimate Avengers which takes place after Ultimatum.
>>
File: Ultimate Comics Avengers 001-002.jpg (825KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Ultimate Comics Avengers 001-002.jpg
825KB, 1988x3056px
>>
>>
>>94940927
>first panel
>millar shits on Loeb
Based.

Shame that he couldn't keep up the quality through the whole run.
>>
>>
>>
File: Ultimate Comics Avengers 001-006.jpg (788KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Ultimate Comics Avengers 001-006.jpg
788KB, 1988x3056px
>>
In one page Millar describes exactly what kind of Captain America this is.
>>
I might be in the minority but I fucking love the widescreen approach to comics. Generally it uses the 2x4 grid and hovers around 4-5 panels per page. I'm tried working with those limitations and while I argue it led to some of my better work, I just use the 2x4 and try to use as minimal panels as possible.
>>
So Cap is murdering these people right?
>>
I'm more of a gin man myself.
>>
If I remember correctly Iron Man had his armor hijacked and he personally murdered Wolverine.
>>
>>
>>
>>94941162
Except he forgot the issue where he wrote that Cap never wears a chute
>>
Oh fuck...
>>
>>
>>
It doesn't seem to like it when I post text.
>>
>>
Experiencing the same fucking problem from last night. Fucking unreal.
>>
>>
>>94941162
What's Ultimate Cap's backstory? Was he also meek and skinny as his 616 counterpart? Because he often comes off as someone whose lived the macho way all his life.
>>
>>
Glad to see Hawkeye isn't moping anymore.
>>
>>94941909
Pretty sure he started out meek. I think it was just his continued successes and new abilities let loose something that was in him for a while.
>>
>>94941909
I dont know the backstory, but he misht just be compensating for the years of abuse. A former dweeb getting superbody would likely to go on a long powertrip.
>>
And this is why I love the Ultimate universe
>>
>dad was most famous for punching Nazis
>tattooes a nazi iron cross on the forehead
so edgy
>>
>>
>>
>>94940927
>>94941023
kek this meta commentary
>>
>>
I enjoyed this run. Millar even touched upon some no go zones when it comes to The Punisher. His Frank revels in the violence, unlike his stoic counterparts, and also thinks saying," it was an accident," makes up for collateral damage.
>>
>>
>Leave it on.
Proceeds to take it off.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
The more I think about it and the more I reread it, the more I realise that Ultimate Avengers might actually be one of my favorite comics.
>>
>>
>You're all perfectly safe at this altitude.
God dammit Steve.
>>
>>
>>
I've waited for so long for Danvers to turm into a Ms Marvel and she never did.
>>
>>94941199
It's not murder if the government says it's ok.
>>
>>
>>
>>
Weird thinking that this kid could have potentially been an even more effective Captain America than we had seen. Shame
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94942442
>>94942453
>>94942479
So he's an evil Doc Savage. You'd think all that male influence would keep his neurosis in check.
>>
>>
>>94942479
Pacheco sure loves his black blood splatters.
>>
>>
Man I'm almost ashamed about how much I love this borderline edgy stuff.
It just feels so much like a complete and united universe than standard canon
>>
>>
>>
And now we get our first sight of Gregory Stark, Tony's older brother.
>>
>>
>>
>>94942592
Oh man, this guy is the worst. Ultimate made some missteps and this guy is definitely one of them
>>
>>
Is it he one that intorudces a on of Charles Xavier and Peter Parker, who is also asian for some reason?
>>
>>
>>
Racist Hulk when?
Supermanito when?
Your mom's sex tape when?
>>
>>94942858
Wew, I thought you were gone there. Thanks for continuing.

Also
>It's SkipslegsdayMan
>>
>>94942530
Right there with ya. The early Ultimate Universe was something special that felt like so much more than standard comic history. The use of consistent writers helped a lot. Millar is write at home writing the Ultimates and while I like what Ewing is doing, Millar is still the reigning champ in my eyes.
>>
>>
>>94942892
Wew now that's edgy
>>
>>
>>94942637
Bingo. Also I'm pretty sure he was fucking with Danvers when he gave the origin.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>Lamotrigine.
Prozac made it so I couldn't jerk off. When you're depressed and can't masturbate, you fucking hate yourself.
>>
>>
>>94942960
>making fun of Hillary
Times have changed for Marvel
>>
To say this didn't catch me off guard first time reading would be a lie. Gotta love the Ultimate Universe.
>>
I am so glad I bought Millar's tenure on the Ultimates in hardback. Probably my favorite Avengers run period. Then again, maybe I should give the Busiek run a try.
>>
>>94943022
You think with how pompous Gregory is, he'd insist on a better code name than "Nerd Hulk"
>>
>>94943012
I certainly miss them.
>>
>>94943057
I think he likes the thought of having a Hulk have a shitty codename. A way of mentally keeping him down. Like it's purposely patronizing.
>>
>>94943046
Man this guy turned out to be such a disappointment in the end, didn't he
>>
>>
>>94943088
I genuinely believe Millar had a plan but editorial fucked his shit up. Like Perun, although that got a laugh outta me.
>>
>>94943085
>Captain America disguised as a Canadian when overseas
Typical

Also
>Cap HATES the French
Ultimate Cap really was a bastard
>>
Looks like Cap gave Wasp the ol' Hank Pym special.
>>
>>94943125
I prefer the term complicated. But yeah, he could be a real douche sometimes. Some may not like it, I really did. 1940's patriotism dialed up to the absolute maximum would probably look insane.
>>
I really see the Terrence Howard influence here. Still prefer Don Cheadle.
>>
>>
So how's everyone liking this so far? By this point I would have expected tons of people to bash me for posting Millar but so far so good.
>>
>>94943200
It's fun.
The Ultimate Universe was a hell of a ride, for better or for worse
>>
>>
>>94943046
I hate this subplot because I used to love it until the awful resolution came along.
>>
>>94943148
Except that most American troops from back then would tell you the French fought as hard as anyone else back when they were side by side.
>>
>>94943214
My man. I know people lambast me for loving Millar but the dude has the ability to write for multiple different genres. His Marvel Knights Spider-Man run is my favorite of all time and Starlight/Superior were some of the more heartwarming tales I've read.
>>
>>94943260
Maybe being on constantly on the front lines kicking ass and then seeing people get rolled over probably didn't instill a lot of confidence in this grade A meathead. Just trying to make sense of it. Not disputing that Cap is looking like an asshole.
>>
Should have been "Pink" and "The Brain"
>>
>>
>>
>>94943339
Everyone in the Ultimate universe is so mean-spirited
>>
>>
I know this is absolutely terrible, but still a smart tactic. It could have gone south real quick though.
>>
>>
>>
I loved the Ultimate Cap mini by Jason Aaron and Ron Garney. It was pure pulp. The Ultimate line had great action scenes.
>>
>Talk to the hand.
HA

>>94943354
I think the job would fundamentally change you. The crap you'd have to deal with on a near daily basis would desensitize you to basically everything and warp your views on right and wrong. The only way to deal would with pitch black humor and being a douche to everyone.
>>
>>94943354
Yeah, Millar even managed to make The Punisher of all people nastier and meaner.
>>
>>
If this thread is still alive when I get home in about an hour I'll do the rest
>>
>>94943416
Yeah, good thing this is a fantasy comic book where real world rules don't apply.
>>
>>
>>94943435
>Cap's been watching daytime TV
That actually explains a lot
>>
Thanks anon

This run is really fun.

Even if the OCs are a bit over the top
>>
>>
>>94943469
>you took away his EDGE
How oddly appropiate for a Millar comic.
>>
>>
>>94943354

It's a dark universe in which superhuman arms race produced some fucked up things
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94943516
>Vive la France!
>next to a floating "corpse" of Captain America
Got to love that early 2000s politics
>>
>>94943451

Actually, most of ultimate was pretty grounded in science until pretty late in the series
>>
>>
>>94943516
>Vive la France
lol
>>
>Vietnam was less traumatic.
Wow
>>
>>
>>94942312
If it wasn't for the weird vampire arc and the terrible rushed ending, Avengers would've been legit on par with the Millar/Hitch Ultimates run.
>>
>>
>>
>>94942637
>>94942927

Yeah that's definitely not meant to be canon. Either way, he really fucked up the reveal of that character
>>
>>
File: Ultimate Comics Avengers 005-000.jpg (861KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Ultimate Comics Avengers 005-000.jpg
861KB, 1988x3056px
>>
>>
Also, as far as Cap hating the French, that's just what people who've never read the Ultimates think. The "A doesn't stand for France" line was something that Cap walked back in the very next issue. It was only later (a little in this run and more in Aaron's Ultimate Cap mini) that it became a thing.
>>
>>
>>
This page was edited to remove the cigarrette from Red Skulls fingers. Just shows how fucking retarded editorial is. Baby murder is A-Okay but smoking is out of the question. Fuckers.
>>
>>94943668
Blame Quesada.
>>
>>
>>
>>
This page is tragic.
>>
>>
Red Wasp >>> every other version of Wasp except for maybe Hank Pym
>>
>>94943668
>>94943679
The idea is that kids who see smoking might try smoking because it looks cool. But no one's about to try baby murder.

I'm not saying it's GOOD logic, by any means, but I understand it to an extent.
>>
>>
Shit
>>
>>
Awwww
>>
>>94943658
I think this Red Skull guy might be a bad egg
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
El Capitán America es un gringo maricón.
>>
>>
>>
I love this Captain America. Can't imagine it'd be Evans though. I this this would be closer to Jensen Ackles interpretation (If I remember he also tried out for the role).
>>
>>
>>
>>
This issue reminds me a lot of that Authority issue where The Doctor gave up his powers for an hour.
>>
That's pretty creative.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Hawkeye didn't deserve this.
>>
File: Ultimate Comics Avengers 006-013.jpg (866KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Ultimate Comics Avengers 006-013.jpg
866KB, 1988x3056px
>>
>>
>>
Gotta hand it to Cap. I wouldn't have thought of that.
>>
>>
>>
>>94944148
no, that's hawkeye
>>
>>
>>
>>
If this is really want you wanted, it would have been the first thing you would have done. Your sadism got the better of you.
>>
>>
>>94944137
So... How does this hurt him and nothing else?
>>
Why am I not the least bit surprised? Also this is the end for the first arc. I need to go back to prepping a lecture for tomorrow. It's just syllabus day so nothing critical but I gotta endure a 30 minute walk to get to campus. I ain't gonna spend over 100 bucks on a parking pass. And I could definitely use the workout.
>>
>>94943559
I kinda miss this Nick Fury. He's more blunt than the current black one, but still felt different from the original.
>>
>>94944271
The problem with Fury Jr. is that he's... not really a Nick Fury. He's a hyper-competent SHIELD agent that can get smarmy when things go his way, but he doesn't have the edge of Ultimate Fury or Fury, Sr. He's just too much of a lapdog, which makes sense given his backstory. He's career military that was given a high ranking SHIELD position through nepotism and to keep an eye on him. Following orders is the only thing he knows.

He's a soldier. Not a spy. He doesn't have the propensity for backstabbing and grand secret plans that UltFury and Sr. have.
>>
>>94943921
>>94944011
>>94944052
>>94944098

So Cap jumps from Paris, to Berlin, to Prague, to Alaska? How the fuck does that work?
>>
>>94944336
I feel like he's gotten better in recent years, but yeah I agree. H just doesn't have the edge that Fury is supposed to. Fury is someone that gets shit done and isn't afraid in the slightest of getting his hands dirty as long as the world is safe. This current one seems like SHIELD's whipping boy.

Also, I wasn't planning on continuing but if I can finish before midnight I'll call that a win.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
I can't tell who's edgier. Ennis' Punisher or Millar's Punisher. Any thoughts?
>>
>>
I might not be in the majority on this one but I prefer Burger King to McDonalds.
>>
>>
Frank sums up the situation nicely.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94944827
My dude.
>>
>>
I'm glad to see this costume made a comeback.
>>
>>94942960
I remember liking this Wasp, at least more than I liked Ultimate Janet.
>>
And things just got significantly more interesting.
>>
>>
>>94944923
I like that Millar didn't just completely discard the Liberators. She had more going on than Janet's warped relationship with Hank.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Neat
>>
>>94944795
Millar by a mile. The internal monologue in that page shows this Frank to be cheeky, and later he's shown to actually relish all this. He does however get some solid characterization here >>94944884, but it's ultimately thrown out the window in my opinion. A lot of the im we get from Frank in the first few pages seem to show us that Frank is also in love with how cool he is.
>>
>>
>>
>>
I like this guy is simple. No plans to take over the world. No super nefarious scheme. Just some Hulked up gangster living it up.
>>
>>
Fucking hell
>>
Probably should have led with that.
>>
>>
>>
>>
Awww shit! Ultimate Ghostrider!
>>
>>
>>
I'm on board with this premise.
>>
>>
>>
>>
You really should have known better, Frank.
>>
>>
>>
>>
I thought the penance stare just rendered you comatose. This guy looks deep fried.
>>
>>
>>
>>
It's interesting to see the Punisher/Hawkeye similarities.
>>
>>
>>
Holy shit! I did not see that one coming.
>>
>>
>>
>>
How the hell do you fire a rocket to stop the Ghost Rider without injuring the guy he's carrying?
>>
>>94944660
Yeah, the modern SHIELD equivalents to the classics would be something more like:
>Mariah Hill = Fury, Sr.
>Fury, Jr. = Dum-Dum Dugan
>Coulson = Jasper Sitwell
Which works fine and all, but the fact that his name is Nick Fury just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If he was just called "Marcus Johnson" or, hell, "Marcus Fury" (that way people can still call him Fury) then I'd probably like him. He makes for a good named SHIELD grunt, but he's just a grunt. No "Nick Fury" should ever be just a grunt.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Just what are these Stark Suits capable of?
>>
>>
This is going surprisingly well for Frank
>>
Nvm. Spoke too soon.
>>
>>94944795
Different kinds of edgy. Ennis' is probably edgier, but there's a reason behind his edginess. It's to show how broken he is from Vietnam and what happened with his family. You see his edginess and you're supposed to go "wow, this is fucked up" and feel bad for the guy that he's ended up in such a broken state.

Millar's Punisher is very much edgy for edginess' sake. There's no deeper meaning here. You're supposed to see Ultimate Punisher and go "holy shit, this dude is HARDCORE."

It's like, Ennis' Punisher is edgy because you're supposed to think he's a bit of a monster and that plays into the story Ennis is telling. Millar's Punisher is edgy because you're supposed to think he's a hardcore badass (or rather, think that 13 year old edgelords would think he's a hardcore badass.) In this case, it does feed into the story Millar is trying to tell but it's because Ultimate Avengers is just Millar showing what would happen were you to try and out-Millar Millar. It's a "crank it up to 11" black comedy.

Ennis' Punisher is edgy because it's sad. Millar's Punisher is edgy because it's hilarious.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>94945644
I think you're right on the money. Ennis' Punisher is a far more developed character but I prefer the outlandishness and absolute insanity of Millar Punisher.
>>
>>
>>94945681
That is racist thing to say frank.
>>
>That Avengers Spider-Man origin.
Ha
>>
I still prefer Ultimate Tony.
>>
What is he eating? Raw meat?
>>
Is her referring to Silence of the Lambs? If so, why the fuck are they letting him watch that?
>>
>>94945644
10/10 post.
>>
And this is what separates Ultimate Fury from 616 Fury. Ultimate Fury is a straight up bastard.
>>
What I do get is how does Avenger Spidey know this?
>>
>>
I feel like this Ghost Rider would straight up wreck 616 Ghost Rider.
>>
>>
>>94945790
What is this spider-man? I thought he was peter parker.
>>
>>
>>94945862
I'm not even sure Millar knows, but the concept of a psychic Hannibal Lecter-ish Spider-Man is pretty neat.
>>
And this is where I'm going to end for tonight. I hope everyone enjoyed. I'll hopefully be able to start a followup thread tomorrow around noon-ish and finish volume 3 and maybe start Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates.
>>
>>94941249
Well both him and cyclops blasted him into scorched meat but Magneto finished him off
>>
>>94945913
Oh yeah, I forgot that Wolverine's nearly obliterated corpse sprung back to life to stab Magneto.
>>
Also, really happy I got an audience for this thread. I think the anon that referred to this as a black comedy was right on the money. This book was built to entertain.
>>
>>94945877
I've heard a lot of theorizing about what Millar had originally intended. The final reveal of "oh, he's just some Korean guy" doesn't make much sense because then why was he dressed as fucking Spider-man. It'd be interesting if it was the one thing editors wouldn't let Millar do.

I always thought he was going for an Earth-X Spider vibe and was going to do something with that but who knows. I don't think he's ever said. Maybe he honestly just didn't care about making an origin.
>>
>>94945983
Considering Gregory's endgoal, I can actually understand why he was Korean Spider-Man. He was one of Gregory's experiments and he was just playing the long game.
>>
>>94945825
I've come to a realisation upon yet another reading of what The Spider is. He's a living plot device. That's his power. He can dispense important exposition in exchange for an interesting story. Then when the story is in its climax he suddenly becomes the single linchpin in Fury's plan by just turning into this random asian guy to explain how they influenced the war.
>>
>>94945891
If you start a thread I can do them right now
>>
>>94946062
I'm completely on board with this.
>>
>>94946133
oh shit it's you ... where you been buddy?

you know who this is
>>
>>94946133
I can do that.
>>94946173
>>
>>94945891
Ultimate Comics: Ultimate Death of Spider-man: Ultimate Avengers vs. New Ultimates is basically Millar doing this Ultimate Event. Everyone's favorite character gets killed because someone has to die, it's heroes vs. heroes, everyone is acting even worse than usual, there's a big third act villain fight against a big bad that the heroes have to team up to fight.

It even nails the event being more disappointing than the lead-up. I genuinely believe that Ultimate Avengers is Millar's Magnum Opus for Marvel in the same way that Multiversity was Morrison's for DC.
>>
>>94943571
>He doesn't like vampire Biden
>>
>>94946163
I've been slowly getting my shit together
>>94946180
Cool
>>
>>94942514
That's getting infected in the morning
>>
>>94946257
Man, I should work on that. Instead I'm on /co/ and waiting for a mega of GoT.
>>
>>94946257
>slowly getting my shit together
....but you don't do that! THAT'S NOT WHO YOU ARE
>>
>>94946206
I'll take "giving the author too much credit" for $500, Alex
>>
>>94943668
Looks like someone skipped leg day
>>
>>94946317
I genuinely think that Millar gave this his all. It was his last Marvel comic series. I think he wanted to put a capstone to his time at Marvel by doing a self-aware riff on his own works and cranking them up to the absurd endpoint. Millar has written plenty of bad comics, sure. But he's a good writer as proven by the great comics he's done.

It's Millar's drum-beat that's all folks for Marvel.
>>
>>94946299
>Man, I should work on that. Instead I'm on /co/ and waiting for a mega of GoT.
Multitasking is key
>>94946302
>....but you don't do that! THAT'S NOT WHO YOU ARE
I'm drinking a beer, smoking a joint, and posting Mark Millar comics on a Djiboutian image board, I'm not THAT in order
>>
>>94946483
>Millar has written plenty of bad comics, sure. But he's a good writer as proven by the great comics he's done.
That's the dumbest shit I've ever heard. "Sure, sometimes he's bad, but really he's good!"

This was a clear case of something got in the way with his original plans and he didn't have a good backup plan.
>>
>>94946541
I'm proud of you, friend.
>>
>>94942637
>Is it he one that intorudces a on of Charles Xavier and Peter Parker, who is also asian for some reason?
What? A son of Xavier/Parker?
>>
>>94945156

He's gangsta she hulk weirdly enough
>>
>>94946772

Really stupid
>>
>>94946595
Thanks man, how you be?
>>
>>94946547
I like to look at what the best a writer has written instead of his worst. Millar swings hard one way or the other. Starlight is fantastic. Ultimates 1 & 2 were great. Even stuff like Superior, Authority, Huck, Red Son, Superman Adventures and a handful of others are worth reading.

Judging everyone by their worst is reductive because it discounts the good, and the good is always more important when you can pick and choose what you read.
>>
>>94943989
>This issue reminds me a lot of that Authority issue where The Doctor gave up his powers for an hour.
>>94944036
This is straight out of that issue.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 237

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.