[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The *very first* episode has a stereotypical misogynist male

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 13

File: ppgreboot.png (190KB, 499x340px) Image search: [Google]
ppgreboot.png
190KB, 499x340px
>The *very first* episode has a stereotypical misogynist male strawman as the villain]
>90% of articles are about gender and/or money, including the initial announcement [which was about both]
>Cartoon Network stated this would allow "moms of daughters" to share their love of the show, erasing the fact it had as many male fans as female ones
>A writer referred to the concept of female superheroes as "giving girls superheroes" [superheroes are owned by genders and you can't like a superhero who isn't the same gender as you]
>>
>The Powerpuff girls beat the shit out of a Strawman

So nothing has changed?
>>
I admit I didn't watch the first episode.

I do remember loving the show when it was first airing.

Will the reboot make me cry?
>>
Anon you could just not watch the show.

>>79802640
Yes but now it's against "me" and therefore I hate it.
Just like what happens with South Park.
>>
>>79802649
>I admit I didn't watch the first episode.
The post was referring to the first episode of the reboot, not the original
>>
File: Manboy.png (213KB, 777x435px) Image search: [Google]
Manboy.png
213KB, 777x435px
Hope you like soulless flat character design and terrible animation.
Just kidding, I know you do.
>>
>>79802604

Look OP, let's be real here. The best PPG episodes were the first three seasons. The last three, after Genndy left and stopped screening storyboards, were often very hit-or-miss. Then there was the anniversary special which was paced like a Wander Over Yonder episode, but with INTERNET MEMES!

Nobody should have had any hope for this "reboot." Without Genndy there for quality control, PPG sucks.
>>
File: 195635.jpg (67KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
195635.jpg
67KB, 400x225px
Get ready for a thread full of people complaining who never watched the original show.

Why is /co/ so full of people who love being idiots these days?
>>
>>79802676
So was I.

Has the first episode of the reboot even aired yet?
>>
remember when you were young and people were talking about a characters gender and refused to watch a show if it didnt represent them?
>>
File: Man_gets_hot_dog.jpg (27KB, 621x476px) Image search: [Google]
Man_gets_hot_dog.jpg
27KB, 621x476px
>>79802689
Yes I do
>>
File: 1280x720-SFV.jpg (68KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1280x720-SFV.jpg
68KB, 1280x720px
>>79802604
>LITTLE GIRLS?! SHOULDN'T YOU BE AT HOME LEARNING HOW TO BE MOMMIES?!

Has anyone here ever seen an actual episode of the original?
>>
>>79802700
I don't give a fuck what people say, that episode was god-tier.

>only pussy will shrink that manhood
>>
>>79802706
what do you think?
>>
>>79802737
Hey, you got that from my post in the other thread.
>>
>>79802720
Nope!
But that's what creators and activities *think* kids do
>>
>>79802770
Why are there multiple threads about this?
>>
>>79802737
Difference is, back then it was an exaggeration played for fun.
Now the people behind the reboots genuinely think that is what all men are like and that masculinity should be destroyed.
>>
>>79802737
Are you implying people on /co/ aren't wearing their rose-tinted glasses.
>>
>>79802700
This meme needs to fucking die

The old PPG was not about "MUH GIRL POWER". It made fun of both sides equally. The new PPG is going to be peppered with muh soggy knees and constant pro feminism messages.
>>
>>79802737
>>79802700
>that episode
>Buttercup's favorite hero is Mandingo
>>
>>79802737
>One episode of the whole series
>Wasn't the first episode or any kind of special episode
>Actually had the girls handle the situation sanely and not get over-triggered by petty verbal cues
>>
>>79802722
> noodle arms
> that nose and anatomy

T- tumblr shit!
>>
>>79802793
source?
>>
>>79802720
Nope, never really got the executives saying "Boy or Girls won't watch a show because the characters have a different genitalia."
>>
>>79802737

That was from the shitty later three seasons.

*I* didn't like that episode, myself. It was dumb and bloated compared to the episodes in the first three seasons.
>>
>>79802722
What is this tumblr shit? Did Pen Ward draw this?
>>
>>79802737
The Powerpuff Girls correctively raped the villain, not exactly something I'd call SJW
>>
Why is this board so awful...
>>
Wait I'm not defending the people you're afraid of right now, but doesn't this all boil down to "it was played for laughs before but now it's totally 100% serious I swear!" ?
>>
>>79802781
*activists
>>
>>79802793
lol you're getting salty about a kid's cartoon
>>
>>79802813
>>79802837
>>79802722

Stop trying so hard
>>
>>79802849
Because it's tumblr 2.0 and mods even try to remove them.
>>
>>79802869
Basically. Use your head, dude.
>>
>>79802801
^ THIS
>>
>>79802808
but he's a fucking nigger

MUH DIVERSITY

fucking tumblr REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>79802700
The episode had the superheroes of opposite genders look up to each other, which is the opposite of what Haley Mancini would want.
>>
>>79802801
>Power puff girls were not about girl power
Dude. It definitely had plenty of "Girl Power". It's just back then no one really gave a shit. Everyone's too triggered now to take it with a grain of salt. The climate has changed so it brings it to the forefront. It's like the difference between making jokes about blowing up an airplane before and after 9/11.
>>
>>79802869
No because there's the entire other argument that both sides were made fun of and not just one side gets straw manned because of the writers political leanings.

and they were played for laughs the few times they ever did something like that in the old show anyway
>>
>>79802883
hey i just answered anon's question
>>
>>79802827
Times have changed, executives are obsessed with the characters being self-inserts now
>>
>>79802809
Do you think Buttercup wouldn't kick someone's butt for calling her princess? That's very in character for her.
>>
File: tumblr_nhtybbmkdz1sgixyoo6_500.gif (246KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nhtybbmkdz1sgixyoo6_500.gif
246KB, 500x300px
>>79802737
>is from "Super Friends" in Season 4

>Meanwhile, this is from Equal Fights in based Season 3

Not hard to see the quality drop-off when it comes to writing.
>>
>>79802661
>Yes but now it's against "me"

>Now

Do you forget how they derailed the Justice friends into sexists and said the PPG couldn't join them cause they were girls (ignoring their were females in their ranks before that) just to have the PPG beat them at everything
>>
>>79802931
No it didn't. There are only a couple of episodes you can actually cite that had any sort of gender message. And both sides had them. Unless you arbitrarily consider well written and funny characters "muh girl power" simply because they're female.
>>
>>79802931
>It definitely had plenty of "Girl Power"
Actually, they lampshaded the use of the phrase "girl power" in the episode Knock IT off
>>
>>79802964
this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEp_SHmsiQc
>>
>>79802737
>>79802700
And I hated that episode even then.
>>
>>79802964
If she did, she would be scolded for it
>>
>>79802700
Is that Alberto Barbosa in the middle there?
>>
>>79802983
It may not have been the focus of all the episodes. But there were plenty of throwaway lines that come off "Girl Power". The over all tone of the series was "Girl Power" because that was kind of the gimmick. Miss Bellum tells the girls that they have to fight more like girls than boys in order to beat the rowdy ruffs, which leads to kissplosions.
>>
>>79802974
you're comparing this to ONE episode from season 4
>>
The voice actresses are fucking cringe worthy
>>
>>79802974
Even if you fully acknowledge Members Only, it's still much milder than the reboot episode
It had the girls handle the situation properly instead of transforming into violent thugs at the slight provocation
Heck, when the girls get refused membership, they just leave in disappointment, so if anything you could argue that it's not progressive *enough*
>>
Isn't it sad how women need this imaginary force called "girl power" to match the power of a regular man?

Why advertise your weakness like that?
>>
>>79803015
No you didn't, because you probably weren't even born.
>>
People sure are upset over a cartoon that got a reboot to profit off nostalgia and merchandise.
I know this is already said, but there was a whole episode in the earlier version dedicated to how guys downplayed the girls.
>>
>>79803064
>transforming into violent thugs at the slight provocation

Umm anon....the PPG have always been violent thugs it's kinda their thing,
>>
>>79803045
I don't agree with you but I've been in half a dozen of these threads by now so I don't care enough to argue. Maybe someone else will engage you senpai.
>>
>>79803014
>I get to use my fists a lot
>Any villains you especially love using them on?
...le-lewd.
>>
>>79803045
This has already been said millions of times before, but I'll say it again:
"Cooties" were a common trope in cartoons at the time, not some feminist or "girl power" initiative. They were a joke that wasn't meant to be taken seriously. PPG is literally the only example I've seen try to spin into a serious message.
>>
>>79802793

hahaha no they don't fuck you
>>
>>79803026
how?
>>
I don't think doc raised them to kick the shit out of people just because they don't agree with them.
But then this is 2015+1 and I suppose that is how SJW's deal with everyone and everything that triggers them.
>>
>>79803109
If it's any consolation, I still think this reboot doesn't look very good. Mostly because of the art. Why does everyone do thin lines now? Line weight adds depth, especially to a minimalist/cubist style like this.
>>
>>79803092
Read the responses that have already been posted
>>
>>79803092
People are upset that another beloved classic is being desecrated by shitty tumblr artstyles and forced agendas. Maybe if every cartoon now wasn't garbage like this then people wouldn't be so sick of it.
>>
>BECAUSE
>LOVE LOVE LOVE
>aiga
>Sekai wo ugokasuno
>LOVE LOVE LOVE
>aiga
>Sekai wo ugokasuno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbK0c21dC_E
>>
I liked the original show because it was well written and funny, if it doesn't at least have that, no feminist agenda is enough to keep people watching.
I just hope they keep that in mind. Jokes first, then you can shoehorn in whatever else you want.
>>
>>79803152
What do "cooties" have to do with that episode? I'm not understanding your point.
>>
>>79803152
I'm not arguing that. I'm saying Powerpuff girls had a definite "Girls can be strong too" message. Which is what I think of when people say "Girl Power". There's a difference between "Girl Power" and "All guys are shits" though. If I start to see more of the latter after watching season 1 I will start to bitch about it. But I've only seen one clip so I'm not gonna flip out about it yet.
>>
>>79803064
If that episode was made today, the girls would have brutally hospitalized all the AWSM members and then be hailed as heroes for it
>>
>>79803205
k-kawaii...
>>
File: 3226222-untitled-1.jpg (149KB, 551x344px) Image search: [Google]
3226222-untitled-1.jpg
149KB, 551x344px
>this is what Americans think British people are like
>>
File: tumblr_lqyoemt4On1r0dpz8o1_500.png (198KB, 473x343px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lqyoemt4On1r0dpz8o1_500.png
198KB, 473x343px
>>79803179
only buttercup would do that, and you make it sound like these are real life characters. This is a fictional cartoon. Also, you didn't co-write the original show.

Also the professor didn't raise them to try to beat the shit out of each other just because they didn't agree with each other, but they did in this episode.
>>
File: Major_Glory_&_Justice_Friends.png (631KB, 1065x794px) Image search: [Google]
Major_Glory_&_Justice_Friends.png
631KB, 1065x794px
>>79802793
>Difference is, back then it was an exaggeration played for fun.

No it wasn't. 'Members Only' was just a crappy episode that made the JF into stereotyped buffoons.

It's like the writer forgot everything in the other PPG seasons and never watched any of the Justice Friends stuff that came out in the 8 years prior to that episode.
>>
>>79803221
The Powerpuff Girls defeated the Rowdyruff Boys by giving them cooties... that was the entire point

>>79803235
Nowadays, "Girl Power" is used to mean female superiority
>>
>>79803272
Buff as fuck?
You mean to say they aren't?
>>
File: 284574_1313421940935_500_361.jpg (173KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
284574_1313421940935_500_361.jpg
173KB, 500x361px
>>79803064
>It had the girls handle the situation properly instead of transforming into violent thugs at the slight provocation

If this is true, then the writers were very inconsistent because there were too many times when they beat up people for no reason.
>>
>>79803479
>If this is true, then the writers were very inconsistent because there were too many times when they beat up people for no reason.
They didn't beat the clown because of "the slight provocation", it was because of all the things he did when he couldn't control himself. It was written very poorly, but it's not "becoming violent thugs at the slight provocation".
>>
File: 241035_original.jpg (12KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
241035_original.jpg
12KB, 400x225px
>>79803384
>cooties

How do you know it was specifically cooties thought?. In fact there was an entire episode that addressed "cooties." They didn't even know what cooties were until this episode.
>>
>>79803479
No anon. That doesn't count. Because even though clown was taken over by an unseen force and was basically committed those crimes against his will, The girls are justified in beating the shit out of him once he's been cured. Because at least it wasn't about gender. It's totally in character.
>>
>>79803552
It's not like Buttercup beat up a random citizen. Buttercup was going to beat up the Lumber jack guy anyway. Because he had a giant fucking wooden robot and said "HEY. WHO'S MAN ENOUGH TO FUCKING STOP ME FROM KILLING YOU GUYS." Buttercup went into that situation about to kick his ass. He said something that made her mad. She kicked his ass.
What are you talking about?
>>
>>79803598
>>79803552
>>79803479
1. They beat him up despite not being in control of his own actions, because it was fun. It was a fun scene. Clown is cured, goes back to being happy, gets his shit pushed in.

2. He's a clown. Clowns universally needs to be beaten and locked up.
>>
>>79803064
>It had the girls handle the situation properly instead of transforming into violent thugs at the slight provocation

You mean the villain threatening to trash the city with a giant mech isn't provocation?
>>
>>79802808
>>Buttercup's favorite hero is Mandingo

Hot.
>>
>>79802809
Not to mention that the villain (and the other characters) actually looked interesting, rather than looking like some side character that was copied from clarence.
>>
>OP is a nerd who takes any opportunity to whine about little girls cartoon shows
>>
>>79803199
>forced agendas

The original show had an extreme feminist antagonist that was the main focus of the episode. From the looks of it, this only had a one off villain that downplayed her for her gender (Something typical in action cartoons. It's cliché, yeah, but it's typical). If the writer nows anything about restraint, then that's not likely to show up again. If he were to show up, then I doubt gender will be mentioned again.

>shitty tumblr artstyles

Unfortunately, that art style is prominent in cartoons because it is easy to design and animate. Getting a show to improve on both aspects would be to increase the budget of in-house production, which is not likely to happen, or outsource it to a different studio, in a case that's similar to Studio Mir and Korra (Which is also expensive).
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.