[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /co/ What did more damage to the comics scene, the Comics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

File: hachachacha.jpg (60KB, 729x400px) Image search: [Google]
hachachacha.jpg
60KB, 729x400px
hey /co/

What did more damage to the comics scene, the Comics Code Authority or Diamond?
>>
Both caused a great deal of damage to their respective scenes, but in the overall course of comics history it would have to be Diamond due to the CCA's strict policies forcing writers to adapt to the limitations while still being able to create engaging stories, thus resulting in the Silver Age of Comics.

Diamond hasn't done shit for comics.
>>
>>79789526
CCA since it destroyed every genre but superheros and Archie for 40 years until Diamond and direct market made them economically viable again.
>>
>>79789607
>in murrica*
>>
>>79789673
well the CCA was an America problem
>>
>>79789673
Welcome to /co/, where only America creates comics, and the only comics worth acknowledging are Marvel and DC (and anything that's had a movie or tv show).
>>
>>79789607
calling what diamond did to comics "making them economically viable" is like calling an anvil around a bird's neck "aerodynamic"
>>
Censorship doesn't spur creativity, it supresses it.
And any monopoly will eventually destroy any healthy marketplace.
If there's never any anti-trust action it will be Diamond that does more damage, after all inherent in a monopoly's optional power over a marketplace is the supression and thus censorship of some materials. It's a two-fer.
>>
File: 1804147-ronaldreagan.png (353KB, 458x355px) Image search: [Google]
1804147-ronaldreagan.png
353KB, 458x355px
>>79789789
If the internet is to believed, the antitrust hearings on Diamond failed because a monpoly on comic books is fine as long as it's not a monopoly on all books

So

Better hope digital grows and grows fast!
>>
>>79789856
But there's no way to effectively sell digital.
Is there? I have some qualms about the patreon model.
>>
>>79789673
>>79789772
Yes, the therad about the effects of American comic book policies is primarily focused on the effects they had on the comic book industry in America. Shocking isn't it?
>>
>>79791818
Comixology and the apps of the various publishers. You can even download comics on Kindle. It's hard to tell how successful digital sales are, though, because nobody releases the numbers.
>>
>>79789856
If only they would stop trying to sell digital copies at practically the same price as real physical copies that you can read during blackouts and resell to reclaim some of your money when you tire of them.
>>
>>79789776
It works for Diamond and Marvel/DC. Making comics good or popular isn't relevant to the economic model Diamond offered Marvel/DC in the first place, which is something the two of them very much like about it.
>>
Frederic Wertham should've been fucking castrated.
>>
Diamond what now?
>>
>>79789526
We live in the age of pro censorship so the CCA would be welcomed now.
>>
>>79793153
Sickeningly true.

But they won't call it that.

They'll call it "good editing" or "keeping things in mind."

But it's never, ever censorship for them. Fucking vermin, these people. Holy shit.
>>
>>79789526

Diamond. By far, Diamond.
>>
What exactly did Diamond do? I'm mostly here for the cartoons but I'd love a history lesson.
>>
>>79793307
diamond are the only distributors of funny books not only in America but most of the English speaking world, they force comic stores to order a certain amount and put strict rules on who can order what.
>>
>>79793387
>put strict rules on who can order what.
If that's true that's beyond retarded.
>>
>>79793153
Someone in a previous censorship thread posted all the rules the CCA had and unsurprisingly a lot of them lined up perfectly with the same shit SJWs want to censor today.
>>
>>79793404
you have to have a store front. if a item or comic gets licensed out side the US you cant order it if you live in another country
>>
>>79792990
>resell to reclaim some of your money when you tire of them.

Which is precisely what they want to kill. It's like the video game industry. Suddenly corporations have it in their head that the second hand market is akin to theft and lost sales.
Well, technically it's been an idea they've all held for decades and decades, but not they have a nice and clean way of pushing that agenda, and the push back just isn't strong enough.
>>
>>79789526
The Comics Code Authority, because it handled the censorship so badly that the backlash allowed the modern age's bloodthirsty anti-censorship fanatics to exist, and use "free speech" as an excuse to protect their insane agendas from any criticism while using the same excuse to bully critics they disagree with in hopes of censoring them.

That probably wasn't the only factor in the creation of the current "objective reality is evil censoring oppression" dogma, but it was definitely a strong contributing factor.
>>
File: 5-1.jpg (392KB, 986x1174px) Image search: [Google]
5-1.jpg
392KB, 986x1174px
>>79793153
CCA's specific policies would be pretty hated. Remember, this was a bunch that got that Sci-Fi comic shitcanned for writing a story because it featured a black astronaut.
>>
>>79793201
>They'll call it "good editing" or "keeping things in mind."
Because that's literally what it is. What certain extremists describe as "censorship", common language refers to as "thinking", but the anti-censorship crusade has such a nonsensically broad definition of "censorship" that you can earn their ire for as little as having an opinion on an artistic work.

I suppose theyre opposed to "keeping things in mind" because they'd prefer that people keep things OUT of mind, to stop criminal thoughts from occurring, or "crimestop" for short. One would think that this would defeat the entire purpose of free speech, but the anti-censorship crusade has such a nonsensically narrow definition of "censorship" that it explicitly doesn't include bullying and harassing people who say or think certain things with the stated goal of making them STOP saying or thinking those things.
>>
>>79792990
>If only they would stop trying to sell digital copies at practically the same price as real physical copies
They can't as long as Diamond is around. Diamond has told publishers that if they sell day and date digital cheaper than physical, then it would be undercutting the LCS/DM sales. If you want to have your comics in a LCS, then you can't sell digital cheaper than physical and frankly, I doubt cheaper digital comics would be able to offset the loss of revenue that no longer being part of the direct market would cause.
>>
>>79793423
>the SJWs of today are just the conservatives of yesteryear with a rainbow haired coat of paint
Disgusting, to be quite honest family.
>>
>>79795271
Maybe within the comics fandom, but that mentality you're talking about is pretty pervasive with many hobbies these days. Hell, it's a much bigger problem with video games from what I've seen. The CCA just gives them an excuse when talking about comics, but even if the CCA never existed, they'd just find some other excuse to justify their warped definition of censorship for the sake of pushing an agenda.

It's hardly the CCA of the 50s' fault that idiots of the 10s warp the english language to fit their needs.
>>
Different mechanisms with the same effect. They both ghettoized comics readership, which inculcated the tribalist bro culture that feminism is currently dismantling.

I preferred the ghetto.
>>
>>79793387
Is there no way to get around them and dismantle the system?
>>
>>79798362
Diamond has a legal monopoly on the industry. They were taken to court and the official ruling as that they are indeed a monopoly, but since it's a monopoly only on comics distribution and not all books, it's OK. Basically, Diamond is allowed to get away with it because "lolcomics."

You either play ball or don't play at all. If Diamond goes down, they'll be sure to drag everyone else down with them.
>>
>>79793433

So say, if I live in Canada(for the sake of the scenario) and item x gets licensed in japan or whatever I'm fucked for orders? Am I getting this right?
>>
>>79795271
>triggered
>>
>>79789526
Diamond. Not even close.
>>
>>79798479
>everyone

Marvel and DC belong to big players. At worst Diamond will drag down the all the dumb comic shops that have been paying their idiot's fee for years now and Image+Dark Horse.
>>
File: frederic is the spectre.jpg (1MB, 800x7096px) Image search: [Google]
frederic is the spectre.jpg
1MB, 800x7096px
>>79793143
>>
>>79789526
Diamond, because its damage hasn't been reverted or ended. It's still got a monopoly and is still squeezing comics for every penny they've got.
>>
>>79793476
Comic books don't give a shit about resale value for physical books. Most of them lose their value almost immediately.
>>
>>79789607
Gtfo Diamond shill before diamond had the stranglehold other genres sold fine in the direct market
>>
>>79802115
Image would probably be fine. Dark Horse is barely hanging on as is.
>>
>>79791818
No, diamond just kills digital with the forced price parity 1 dolar digital comics with ads wpuld sell much better tha 4 dar no ad ones
>>
>>79793150
Lol welcome to being redpilled on why american comics are fucked
>>
>>79795271
What the fuck are you on about?
>>
File: JimShooter.jpg (155KB, 751x946px) Image search: [Google]
JimShooter.jpg
155KB, 751x946px
As much as I hate to say it, it was probably Jim Shooter. He's the one that introduced the concept of the direct market to publishers. He intended for the direct market to have a joint relationship with newstands as a way to introduce a reader to the other, but the corporate executives got greedy and got rid of newstand publishing entirely
>>
>>79798479
Marvel and DC could pull out and self distribute through Disney and Warner's publication companies. Hell they then could offer to distribute their competitors shit as well
>>
>>79804179
I think Disney could swing it. Warner is another bag since only during the yearly reviews do they get reminded "Oh Batman is still a comic?"
>>
File: 1442354731263.jpg (80KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
1442354731263.jpg
80KB, 403x403px
>>79796042
>nonsensically broad definition
>nonsensically narrow definition
Which is it tumblr?
>>
>>79793201
Just because the comic companies choose to focus on pandering to SJWs and pissing off neckbeards doesn't mean there's censorship going on.
>>
>>79796042
"Bullying" and "harassment" are loaded bullshit terms when it comes to politics and it isn't the same as censorship you fucking kike.
>>
>>79796042
Can someone get me the screenshot of the tyler tweet?
You know the one.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.