[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question 1: What did /co/ think of Paranorman? It's the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 12

File: para.jpg (217KB, 800x593px) Image search: [Google]
para.jpg
217KB, 800x593px
Question 1: What did /co/ think of Paranorman? It's the weakest of Laika's films IMO but still enjoyable.

Question 2: Is Hotel Transylvania good or just waifu shit?
>>
>>79672925
>What did /co/ think of Paranorman?
basically the same as frozen. i couldn't even finish it because it was hitting me over the head so hard with its soapboxing, pretending it was only hinting
>>
>>79672925
oh and as for hotel transylvania... surprisingly good! ugly art, but ugly in a different, much less irritating way than other cg and stopmotion stuff. Occasionally dumb and hip and trendy in much the way Shrek felt like even back in the day (and moreso now), but generally nice. Characters that should annoy you, didn't.
>>
File: The-Boxtrolls1.jpg (530KB, 1126x633px) Image search: [Google]
The-Boxtrolls1.jpg
530KB, 1126x633px
>>79672925
>It's the weakest of Laika's films
What?
>>
Fucking love Paranorman, like the animation in Hotel Transylvania.
>>
>>79673002

I've noticed that Hotel Transylvania suffered the same fate that Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs did.
Both were solid films with their own merits, followed by mediocre sequels that tried to capture what made their predecessors great and blatantly failed.
>>
>>79672968
>soapboxing

What soapboxing? Also, I skipped Frozen entirely.

>>79673023
I really liked the Boxtrolls, is it an unpopular opinion here?
>>
Hotel Transylvania was alright, mostly brought down by trying WAY too hard to have a "modern" main character who came off as an idiot and by not developing Mavis at all.

I haven't seen Paranorman, so I'm not allowed to have a real opinion about it. I do find the character designs hideous, though.
>>
>>79672968
>soapboxing
Soapboxing what? Undead rights?
>>
File: IMG8001151.jpg (172KB, 476x636px) Image search: [Google]
IMG8001151.jpg
172KB, 476x636px
Paranorman was meh for me... as was Frankenweenie. I'm not a big fan of Laika's stop-motion style, however I do admire the amount of work that goes into making their movies. I really like Hotel Transylvania and watch both movies regularly.
>>
>>79672925
>It's the weakest of Laika's films IMO
Your opinion is odd. I thought most people agreed it was the strongest. I found Boxtrolls weak, but enjoyable. I haven't seen Coraline since it was in theaters, but I remember it being okay. If it gets a lot of credit here, I assume it's because of the mother's waifu factor.
>>
>>79673600
I'm really trying to resist watching that, I don't need a new waifu.
>>
paranorman is not better than coraline but is not weak at all, hotel transilvania is just pretty colors and sandler bullshit.
>>
Paranorman was really, really good. Its funny, dark, well animated and looks fucking amazing.
>>
>>79673222
I just, personally, didn't find it interesting at all, and thought Paranorman was great.
>>
>>79673658
Don't. The fact that she's cute is literally the only redeeming quality of the movie. Adam Sandler ruins it like he does everything by forcing his shitty group of friends (Kevin James, David Spade etc.) into it.
>>
>>79673852
Yep, I just read who is in the cast, DROPPED.
>>
>>79673325
it wasnt specific, it was just a really annoying air of 'being able to talk to dead people makes you different and hurr hurr different is okay and anyone who has a problem with it is such an angry bigot'
it's not okay to talk to dead people.
>>
File: Aggie.jpg (327KB, 1242x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Aggie.jpg
327KB, 1242x1920px
>>79672925
I thought Paranorman in general wasn't as strong as Coraline, as it seemed to step away from the dark atmosphere and surreal visuals for a more comedic story.

But man did I love that ending. I thought the whole final confrontation was great, from the twist, to the animation, to the voice-work. It was a really strong payoff.
>>
>>79672925
Paranorman's their best movie. Coraline's fun and all, but it turned into a Nintendo 64 Collect-a-Thon at the end.
>>
>>79674560
It was more of a "Revenge is wrong. People can be asshats, especially when driven by fear, but you shouldn't go all school shooter on their stupid asses because that solves nothing."
>>
File: cute.png (235KB, 500x563px) Image search: [Google]
cute.png
235KB, 500x563px
>Agatha's voice actress was the girl from the Silent Hill movies
Well played Laika.
>>
>>79673134
the first movie was really good for me i really like tartakovsky style this thing would work in a 2d animated series and the sequel was okay not bad but meh, but all my normie friend like it
>>
>>79674560
anon, do you like stories in first place? do you listen to them before having an opinion?
>>
>>79673222
Boxtrolls was fine, but I'd probably place it third for Laika.

Original idea and lovely animation-wise, but I preferred the tone of the first two films.
>>
>>79673852
sandler push he and his group of friends to be the protagonist just because his giant ego really everyone agrees that the movie really need more of the other characters
>>
Paranorman was good, but I can't help wishing that it was more like the first five minutes were with the ghosts of people from various history instead of just a couple of zombies.
>>
>>79675235
The other ghosts kind of bugger off after the intro didn't they?

Guess they didn't want to hang around for Armageddon either.
>>
>>79675299
>>79675235
Yeah, there was a deleted scene where Norman finds some of the ghosts hiding as they're just as scared shitless by Aggie's storm as the living are.

>"Fear doesn't die Norman! Fear doesn't die!"
>>
>>79675299
i suppose but i really liked that all ghosts look so well designed in Laika style it was simply one of the better parts of the movie seen all this ghost talking to norman like it was the most normal thing
>>
I don't understand the hate for Paranorman. I liked it more than Coraline
>>
>>79675401
>Fear doesn't die.
Ah man, they should have kept that in. That's actually really clever.
>>
>>79675438
I love all of Laika's stuff honestly. The creativity's a breath of fresh air in an industry desperately clamoring for mainstream appeal.
>>
>>79675438
seriously
it's the best movie they made
>>
>>79674603
>But man did I love that ending. I thought the whole final confrontation was great, from the twist, to the animation, to the voice-work. It was a really strong payoff.

The animation in that sequence was one of my favorite parts.
>>
File: NotListening.gif (1013KB, 495x207px) Image search: [Google]
NotListening.gif
1013KB, 495x207px
>>79675732
Might be one of my favorite animated sequences period honestly.
>>
>>79672925
>? It's the weakest of Laika's films
I'll fight you
>>
>>79672925
Hotel Transylvania was better than I expected. Had some good moments. Nothing to really cement it as a great animated film, but enough that I was pleasantly surprised and didn't mind watching it.
>>
>>79672925
>>79676009
Did anyone watch Hotel Transylvania 2?
>>
>>79672925
I thought Paranorman was exquisite. One of the best family movies I'd seen for years.

Hotel Transylvania didn't entertain me at all. The narrative was all over the place and the humor was too clichéd, Genndy couldn't save it.
>>
>>79676046
it's good but the first one was better, if i have to blame somebody is that sandler force genndy to put some of his jokes in the movie and give more time to he and his friends because his massive ego so not really bad just watch it you are gonna have fun
>>
>>79674603
>that music during the confrontation

glorious
>>
>>79675141
like I said, man, I couldn't get through it. his fucking dad.. worst harland williams character ever. i miss harlem willions. however you spell it.
>>
>>79672925

Paranorman was one of the best animated anythings I have seen in the last 10 years. It should have won the oscar and was robbed of it because it wasn't disney.

Hotel Transylvania is okay. I do not like the lesson of "the first person you meet is the one you should marry. Also you only zing once, then your 4ever alone!"
>>
File: Clipboard01qtqtqt.jpg (83KB, 989x984px) Image search: [Google]
Clipboard01qtqtqt.jpg
83KB, 989x984px
>>79673658
>>
>>79676440
Best to accept that the Oscars are generally cringeworthy in the animation department.
>>
File: heatstrid'.jpg (58KB, 589x534px) Image search: [Google]
heatstrid'.jpg
58KB, 589x534px
>>79676605
The oscars animation award usually goes to whichever animated film their kids forced them to go see.
>>
File: shattered.png (658KB, 500x666px) Image search: [Google]
shattered.png
658KB, 500x666px
>>79674847
>Paranorman reemphasizes that all Cheryl truly needed was a hug
>>
File: 068.gif (2MB, 500x323px) Image search: [Google]
068.gif
2MB, 500x323px
>>79676271
>That Clint Mansell buildup
The hype was real.
>>
>>79676739
>a hug
Or a not-dead Dad
>>
GH-OST BLOWJOB! WOO WOO!
>>
>>79672968
>Soapboxing
DO you know what that word means? The message of Paranorman is to not be a dick, even if people are dicks to you, and that humans make mistakes and do terrible things sometimes, but they're still human.
>>
>>79676921
One begot the other.
>>
>>79673222
I don't think anyone dislikes Boxtrolls, but general consensus is that its a distant third compared to Coraline and Paranorman, which are both nigh-unilaterally regarded as fantastic films, both on /co/ and off of it.

>>79676605
Oscars are cringeworthy in EVERY department, but animation is especially bad.

>>79672968
Assuming you're talking about the ending? Paranorman builds up to it and establishes it as a valid thing really well, and its presented in a way that doesn't seem out of place or preachy. Stop being so sensitive just because a movie has the gall to call people out on their shit in a fairly tame and uncontroversial manner.
>>
>>79674603
They made smear puppets.

I mean god damn.

And Hotel Transylvania is a fantastic team of artists and animators being contracted to produce an unfunny Adam Sandler vehicle. It's frustrating how good it could be and how bad it is in all but visuals.
>>
File: buttons.jpg (34KB, 666x386px) Image search: [Google]
buttons.jpg
34KB, 666x386px
>>79674658
The ending sequence was a bit video-gamey moving from one obstacle to the next to resolve the conflict, but I think they had enough fun with the design and atmosphere of things to make up for it.
>>
>>79672925
>Question 2: Is Hotel Transylvania good or just waifu shit?
about a good 9 people including me were the only ones in the theater room when my spastic little brother and cunt step sister and the times we genuinely smiled at anything could be counted on one hand.

I had never experienced the feeling of wanted an animated film to just end already, ever. I just could tell he wanted it to be done with it already so he could ride on the fucking carousel.

It's... bland. Just plain bland.
>>
>>79672925
It could have been good, but it never rises above mediocre. A lot of this is that the movie is unable to hold a mood, even throughout a scene. So you'll have a serious moment about her mom dying and then it's like "oh no, we went too long without a fart joke, better fix that!"
>>
>>79672925
The scene with Norman and his mom in the car after the botched school play was aces.
>>
>>79672925
>Question 1: What did /co/ think of Paranorman? It's the weakest of Laika's films IMO but still enjoyable.
It's bretty goo.
Somewhat average. 6/10
>>
>>79672925
Paranorman is the weakest?
I've seen nothing but praise for it.

Personally never saw Hotel Transylvania, so I can't give a reasonable opinion on it.
Though I never had any interest in it.
>>
File: tumblr_mmawee5Hec1rtn2elo1_500.png (346KB, 500x551px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mmawee5Hec1rtn2elo1_500.png
346KB, 500x551px
>>79676943
>>
>>79672925
>Paranorman is the weakest of Laika's films
That's the Boxtrolls
>>
>>79672925
Objective ratings for the Laika films: Coraline > Paranorman > Boxtrolls

I have a good feeling that Kubo will end up being equal, if not surpassing Coraline in terms of overall quality.
>>
>>79683255
I feel bad that I've never seen a Laika film in theaters, gotta try to make up for it now.
>>
>>79683255
I'm still a sucker for creepier psychological atmospheres, so I'll probably be bias, but I still think Kubo looks really good.
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.