[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Misunderstood genius or overrated hack?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 11

File: 1447218218831.jpg (89KB, 610x778px) Image search: [Google]
1447218218831.jpg
89KB, 610x778px
Misunderstood genius or overrated hack?
>>
>>79173749
take a wild guess
>>
>>79173749
He's an intolerable asshole who's really good at what he does. You know like Robert Crumb.
>>
File: flynn_rider_icon_3.jpg (429KB, 1617x1585px) Image search: [Google]
flynn_rider_icon_3.jpg
429KB, 1617x1585px
>>79173779
>really good at what he does
>>
>>79173749
oh him?

that's just John "gas the furfags" K.
>>
>>79173775
Jesus.
I think the only things remotely bearable to look at on this page are he-hog and curly fleece poodle.
>>
>>79173775
He really is the only saving grace of western animation
>>
>>79173749

Very talented but hard to work with, the latter can get you in trouble in the world of Television.
>>
>>79173749
>that time Katie Rice got to meet her hero
>got an intro from him
>John K shows off what a creepy douchebag he is for 10 solid minutes
God, you can just see the poor girl's heart shattering after finding out what a complete dick her idol is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UojpZ_Ec-q8
>>
>>79173749
I don't think he's either of those things to be honest.
>>
>>79173887
Yea, thank God for all those John k shows that a currently keeping the western animation industry afloat.
>>
A genius, but not better than the guys he was working to emulate.
>>
>>79174016
He's saving western animation one 7-11 SlurpeeĀ® machine at a time.
>>
He is a hack and he basically screwed himself out of a career by being a massive douche bag.
>>
I don't have enough information to consider him a genius. If he was a genius he wouldn't even need other people, they never do, specially when their personalities makes working with other hard.
Instead he'll suck everything from others around him, get fired and blame everyone for it.
>>
>>79174016
He may not do shit now but his work is super influential. I don't know if we'd have the current movement of boarder-driven cartoons on CN if Ren & Stimpy had never existed. Plus no SpongeBob or anything inspired by it.
>>
he made a cartoon
>>
>>79174105
That's a good point. I just feel like he's wasted a lot of potential by being a dick who's hard to work with.
>>
File: 1447640592410.png (190KB, 361x379px) Image search: [Google]
1447640592410.png
190KB, 361x379px
>>79173749
He made a good cartoon and in the process almost sunk it due to his power trips which he and his fans write off as perfectionism and tried to get Billy West to tank his career. When he got another shot at Ren and Stimpy all those years later it was complete garbage.
>>
>>79173749

more like highly influential artist who hasn't done anything of note in 10+ years.

it's kind of amazing when you look at the roster for the new adventures of mighty mouse, which he ran for a season, bruce tim started out there, andrew stanton, a lot of people who are big driving forces in animation worked for him, and had good things to say about his influence,

but yeah he's reportedly shit to work with on the other end, he's marveled at how bakshi managed to keep execs out of his hair when he worked for him for years, he's just not a guy who can deal with corporate stuff, which is what you have to deal with to get funds to make a show. but he's also to full of himself to work under anyone else.
>>
>>79173749
Doesn't he hate cartoons? Is a Dobson before Dobson became a thing?
>>
Most of the John K. hate on /co/ is just mindless bandwagoning.
>>
>>79173749
Both
>>
>>79174109
4 cartoons actually

Beany and Cecil reboot (that Bruce Timm worked on)
Ren and Stimpy
The Ripping Friends
Adult Party Cartoon

and if you want to count his webtoons, The George Liquor Program and Weekend Pussyhunt (which is actually pretty good)

He influenced the industry a lot but now his art looks weird and lazy
>>
>>79174577
>being this much a newfag
>>
>>79174650
And yet still completely justifiable cause even if most don't know the full reasons to hate him, if they did they'd still hate him, only more.
So really it makes no difference.
>>
>>79174786
True but those last four are complete and total garbage and he almost sank the original Ren and Stimpy due to his "perfectionism" and tried to get Billy West to put his entire career on the line just to help him out despite him being a huge asshole to him while he worked on the show. Also that shit about the George Liguor Program being incredibly early flash doesn't excuse it's insanely terrible writing. He made some shorts and shit for different companies but I honestly only saw the Boo Boo Goes Wild and can't say anything else about the others although if I had to guess they aren't great. There's no denying how important his influence was but he's honestly IMO by-and-large a hack with literally one good original cartoon and who keeps trying to push George Liquor after all these damn years.
>>
>>79174650
Pretty much. I've asked on several occasions why he's hated so much and I never got a coherent answer.
>>
File: Doug Tennapel.jpg (55KB, 560x376px) Image search: [Google]
Doug Tennapel.jpg
55KB, 560x376px
You wanna see what a real genius looks like?
>>
>>79175041
for some reason /co/ is butthurt over his personality, as if being abrasive and stubborn means you can't be right about stuff.
>>
overrated douchebag

he only made a good cartoon in his entire life and he thinks is god
>>
>>79175041
>I've asked on several occasions why he's hated so much and I never got a coherent answer.
And you never will, in nothing, because people love and hate stuff in different ways.

As kid I didn't liked Ren and Stimpy, they looked ugly as hell, the same goes with Cow and Chicken and Ed, Edd and Eddie.
>>
>>79175041
All these threads are packed with source about his antics.
>>
>>79175041
He's an obnoxious asshole who's only right half the time. So half the time he's insufferably smug and the other half is he's just a twat who doesn't know what he;s talking about.

Is it any wonder nobody likes John K?
>>
>>79175138
>he thinks he is god
No he doesn't
>>
>>79173749
>overrated hack

This one by far.
>>
>>79175100
You can be abrasive and stubborn, but you should probably have the skill to back it up. John K hasn't had that in a long time, as his obsession with his "principles" have caused his actual animation work to deteriorate into a complete mess.
>>
>>79175166
At the very least his cult of personality thinks he's god, and the shit he posts on his own blog certainly lends credence to the idea that he has an over-inflated ego.
>>
>>79173749
Why not well understood genius or misunderstood hack?
>>
>>79175186
>his obsession with his "principles" have caused his actual animation work to deteriorate into a complete mess.

You mean to tell me that you don't think cartoonists should be the ones writing cartoons? I am shocked, sir.
>>
>>79175161
So you're all mad because you perceive a now-irrelevant cartoonist to be a big arrogant meanie?

Wow..
>>
He's a good animator I guess, but he has no good taste. Even as a kid I found his cartoons sickening.
>>
>>79175251
Shouldn't you be finishing Cans Without Label, John?
>>
File: 1384739359152.jpg (31KB, 442x298px) Image search: [Google]
1384739359152.jpg
31KB, 442x298px
>>>79172518

>Animation features and some live action directors use the cheapest methods to make you cry. Sad music, gloomy staging, a certain cutting technique and contrived story points. ET for Christs's sake.

>Disney had the best method: shoot or torture your Mom. What kid won't cry if they see the main character's Mother get gunned down? What a dirty trick to play on kids!

>Using cheap tricks like these gets you critical acclaim: "Wow that cartoon made me cry! It must be brilliant! Much better than those shitty little funny cartoons that make you feel good."
>>
>>79175289
Very original retort. Really blew me away.
>>
File: john k.png (193KB, 504x475px) Image search: [Google]
john k.png
193KB, 504x475px
>>
>>79173749
Hack, ren and stimpy was only good because there was other people than john hacK working on it.
>>
first for "misunderstood hack"
>>
>>79175343
Interesting how that commentary has nothing to do with that image (hint: that style is heavily inspired by UPA and Milt Gross, not rubber-hose)
>>
>>79177247
It's using words from his website that were originally with another picture, broski.
>>
>>79177417
I know, I was calling that guy a retard.
>>
>>79177481
The only important part is the last three sentences, tho.
>>
>>79173749
If you like them, then Misunderstood Genius.
If you don't like them, overrated hack.
Pretty simple
>>
>>79173749
Why not both?
>>
>>79173749
Irrelevant, especially now that we got a ton of hack animators on YouTube with shitty animation and humor.

Seriously John, George Liquor isn't funny. Stop pushing him.
>>
>>79173775
Still better than Steven Universe.
>>
>>79178226
:^^^)
>>
His art and animation is very unique. His cartoons have a good sense of humor and his use of music and settings are fantastic. The guy is truly an artist. If someone would just throw him a bone, I guarantee he'd turn it into gold

plus he made Ren and Stimpy. He deserves much more than a few nerds that know nothing about the craft calling him a hack.

although Billy West was a better Ren than him
>>
>>79173749
Misunderstood hack.
>>
File: 1378357007133.jpg (28KB, 264x292px) Image search: [Google]
1378357007133.jpg
28KB, 264x292px
>>79177538
>the deeper meaning of this meme image can be summarized in the final three sentences...
>>
>>79178451
Ain't no one said it was deep
>>
>>79173846
I like the Poodle too, his Roxy & The Heartaches designs were cute, I think it would have made a fun series.
Everything else is shit tho
>>
File: baseless.jpg (102KB, 640x284px) Image search: [Google]
baseless.jpg
102KB, 640x284px
>>79173887
>the only saving grace of western animation
>>
He's responsible for one of my favorite music videos of all time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib3ERyJFZvM
I know a bunch of ex-Spumco people. They all vouch for the fact that he has a lot of good ideas, but his ego gets in the way. No one worth their salt in the industry wants to work for him anymore so he goes after kids fresh out of LCAD (he had a bunch of students doing the Miley Cyrus stuff)
If he got his shit together he could probably do fun things but he's too obsessed with his victim complex.
Also apparently he creeped on Katie Rice but that's all second hand info. Is she even working right now?
>>
File: cringe.gif (2MB, 500x319px) Image search: [Google]
cringe.gif
2MB, 500x319px
>>79173917
CUH-RIIIIIIINGE
>>
File: 1446057442163.jpg (104KB, 686x457px) Image search: [Google]
1446057442163.jpg
104KB, 686x457px
>>79173775
>that sendup of Wally Man he kept trying to do for years

>his desperation to make roxy take off from that shoe commercial

I don't think he's overrated but it's hard to feel bad for him considering how many hot opinions he's got. And that's ironic considering his personal designs are shit too, your pic related. He was trying so hard to go back to something that it hardly made sense to go back to.
>>
>>79173917
all I've learnt from this is that americans are degenerates who find cartoons sexy
>>
>>79178957
Projecting pretty hard there.
>>
>>79175218
That's not even the principal that's destroying him. It's his bizarre obsession with not keeping to a model and making absolutely everything "funny" that's driving him to draw 24 wacky faces a second as the ultimate extension of his goals, which ends up looking like an ungodly jarbled mess of unwatchable shit.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.