[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/co/ doesn't like this book, does it? The recent issues

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (1MB, 1296x2000px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1296x2000px
/co/ doesn't like this book, does it? The recent issues story time barely got any responses; so why don't you like this book?
>>
Read the 1st issue, didn't like it. Is he supposed to be a womaniser?
Also there was a giant teddy with a really obvious texture taken straight from an irl photo of a teddy. Overall, it was a poor 1st issue that didn't do its job of sucking in new readers.
>>
>>78746252
Same.
>>
Wasn't fond of how Strange was characterized in the first issue. It was like he was just being written as Magic Tony Stark.
>>
>>78746155
Wait until the movie and people will like it.
>>
>>78746252
Yeah gave the first issue a shot because I like the artist. Have no desire to read more
>>
>>78746313
>Wait until the movie and Reddit will like it
ftfy
>>
>>78746313
The movie seems to have a little promise- so far showing a psychedelic aesthetic, nice costuming, and apparent focus on Strange's dimensional travel, as well as some respect for the source material. The clincher will be whether they fuck up the characterization with the new strange's almost stark-like attitude.
>>
>>78746155

Doctor Strange is written like Tony Stark

Also, that thing where he sicked soul eating demons on a ward of prisoners was kinda fucked up
>>
>>78746313
Isn't that the opposite? That /co/ isn't interested because most think it will be like the movie?
>>
until last issue, the book was only characterization and it was pretty bland characterization at that. Then, last issue, Aaron re-does the opening of his Thor run with Dr Strange.
>>
>>78746904
>Then, last issue, Aaron re-does the opening of his Thor run with Dr Strange

What is someone trying to kill all magic? I'm pretty sure Mark Waid just used that plot in his SHIELD run where he killed off some D list magic users
>>
>>78746755
>thinking this movie won't be a quipfest

Anon, it's Marvel.
>>
>>78746963

I meant he's facing a serial killer whose going after people of his own kind. Aaron's first Thor arc was that with someone going after all the Gods. Doc Strange has it where someone is hunting the sorcerer supremes.
>>
>>78746155
Well, there's a theory right now that Dr Strange got De-Aged after Secret Wars. Hence the personality change.
>>
Science vs. Magic in issue 1 put me off, so overdone.
>>
How good is Aaron's Ghost Rider? I've enjoyed pretty much all of his stuff so far
>>
>>78746252
Pretty sure that Strange has a history of being a ladies' man, just not as blatant as Tony Stark. Overall it was an underwhelming issue.
>>
File: da ba dee da ba die.jpg (687KB, 672x1024px) Image search: [Google]
da ba dee da ba die.jpg
687KB, 672x1024px
>>78747198
If that's true that's really disappointing.

I guess it's in line with Marvel trying every so often to force Strange to be more like their other characters
>>
>>78747351
>has a history of being a ladies' man
Well he was in Fractions Defenders when he banged some grad student
>>
>>78746299
This so hard. Its my first Dr. Strange book but not my first exposure to the character. Ive never seen him act... basically like a 20 year old idiot before. He seems like a rather serious guy to me.
>>
>>78746155
>The recent issues story time barely got any responses
That's usually a sign that /co/ liked the book. The more we dislike a book, the more replies it gets. See: anything by Bendis or Unbeatable Squirrel Girl.
>>
>>78748047
the books /co/ likes tend to have a dozen replies to every page where there's a joke or the MC does something badass
>>
>>78748047
Actually for cape comics /co/ works a little differently. Hated shit gets 500+ replies and autosages. Stuff that people like get ~50-100 replies or so. And stuff no one gives a shit about gets ignored.
>>
I was prepared to like this. I generally like Aaron, but the way he wrote Strange here wasn't my cup of tea. I'm no Strange expert, the only Strange I've read was him in Hickman's New Avengers, and I really enjoyed him there.

Oh well other books out there.
>>
this is my favorite marvel book right now.
Aaron can do no wrong. sorry guys.
>>
>>78748215
lel
>>
>>78747862
You figure he was in his 30's in his origin story. He was already a successful surgeon and basically spent his fortune traveling the world looking for something to repair his hands. Sliding timescale may be bullshit, but if Kitty can go from 13 to mid 20's then Strange should be in his mid 50's at least
>>
I'm an Aaron fan, Bachalo is my favorite marvel artist, and I love Dr. Strange. Visually, I'm loving it, but this characterization for Strange just isn't my cup of tea. Neither is the new magic rules they're setting up. Marvel's been nerfing a lot of their most powerful characters, (Black Bolt, Strange, Magneto, etc.) and I'm not a fan of seeing the characters that should be doing fantastical incredible shit be doing mundane things.
>>
It reads just like Aaron's Thor, of which I am not a very big fan of so I stopped reading at issue two.
>>
>>78746155

It doesn't feel like Dr. Strange, it feels like some hipster asshole pretending to be Dr. Strange
>>
>>78749710
The Scarlet Witch solo is more like Doctor Strange than Doctor Strange tonally.
>>
Why they gave this book to Aaron is beyond me. I think someone like Gillen good at fantasy worldbuilding would have been a better fit,
>>
I like it. Would be bumping the thread right now but I like to read my physical copy first and comics are a day late over here in Britbongistan this week so I'm avoiding the thread until I get it.
>>
>>78747276
>Science vs unexplained science
>>
File: Nigthmare1-09.jpg (40KB, 290x258px) Image search: [Google]
Nigthmare1-09.jpg
40KB, 290x258px
>>78749650
>>
>>78750873
I thought Gillen quit? He was talking about SW: Siege like it was the swan song for his Marvel work.
>>
>>78750991
He said he looked into burrowing in to a new book with the relaunches but his schedule was too full with creator owned books and side-projects.
He's making serious bank off Wic + Div, so I don't think he cares for the big 2 paycheck anymore.
>>
>>78751617

Except for Darth Vader.
>>
I liked it. And I think it shows Strange slowly being overwhelmed by the weirdness of the occult that he can no longer control. With the current storyline (and eventual Next Writing Team) I'm sure that they'll get back to Strange having a commanding presence again. We just have to sit back and enjoy the sugar, and wait until they get around to serving the steak.
>>
>>78747862
Marvel's plan seems to make everyone act like 15-20 year old snarky morons, because it's cool and easy to relate too!

Or something.

They don't seem to want me as a customer anymore, so I won't be.

I'd like the last issue or two of main line Secret Wars book to see how it wraps and I think I'll be all done with Marvel.
>>
>>78753473
>I think I'll be all done with Marvel
Don't do that. You should be reading Vision.
>>
>>78753496
I'm not big on Vision or robots in general, so wasn't expecting it to be for me. If I can find the first few issues I'll give it a look though since you recommended it though.
>>
>>78747351
>>78747467
>history of being a ladies' man
I've seen this in a Deadpool issue or something, but I never got this sense in any of the old Doctor Strange comics. I can't help but wonder if somewhere along the line, someone got him confused with Tony Stark.
>>
There was a point Doctor Strange would just act as a wise and cryptic mentor and float between minor and major issues.

As a Sorcerer Supreme he should be a brilliant, mystic middle aged man. If they want to write about "quirky young wizard Strange" that should be a different comic clearly set in the past. Even then though, he'd probably be around 40.
>>
I tried to like it, because I like Dr. Strange.

It's pretty lame, though, and as others have said, the poorly done art is off putting.
>>
>>78753645
Happened once or twice in the Professor Hulk run during the 90's, right?
>>
>>78746155
It has the same problem I have with most Marvel titles. It has a same-y tone. Also, magick should be more subtle and less cape-y.
>>
After you get past her powers, which is what they were when Robinson was reading her.

Scarlet Witch has better atmosphere than Strange.
>>
as the guy that as storytimed strange since it got back i can say that
the #1 got the most attention, it was fine on the second one, then the #3 happened and made strange feel like a totally different character, so guess a lot of people dropped the book there
#4 seems to be getting the book back on "good" track but people dont trust it
>>
File: image.jpg (943KB, 1073x1650px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
943KB, 1073x1650px
>>78746963
Magic is broken across the board.

Witchcraft is sick in SW, Hercules mentions it too I think.
>>
File: image.jpg (995KB, 1073x1650px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
995KB, 1073x1650px
>>78756746
>>
File: image.jpg (847KB, 1073x1650px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
847KB, 1073x1650px
>>78756755
>>
File: image.jpg (892KB, 1073x1650px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
892KB, 1073x1650px
>>78756765
>>
I love Dr Strange (the character) and I really wanted to like this but, no.

1) I hate the drawing style
2) The mysticism/occultism is poorly done.
3) Dr Strange isn't written as Dr Strange.

1 is a matter of taste but 2 and 3 are the real reasons why it's simply bad.

The Scarlet Witch does mysticism right and I'm really enjoying that comic. Which is ironic since I have grown to despise the Scarlet Witch over the years. But this comic is redeeming her in my eyes.
Or at least making me forget about the bad times.
>>
File: 1450561159820.jpg (125KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1450561159820.jpg
125KB, 1920x1080px
>>78756746
>>78756755
>>78756765
>>78756775
>this dialogue
>>
>>78746155
Think about this:

People who pick up Dr. Strange probably want to see him slinging spells like bullets and fighting crazy mystic creatures from universes with no names.

This book, deletes all of that issue 1 and says this story will be a more physical Strange with no spells and all magical enemies are replaced by fucking robots.

This is a bad way to start a Strange solo since you are going against the core tenants of what people expect from the character and are replacing it with things that people can go to other books for.

This would have been a great second arc but I think Marvel is gearing toward a magic event since the mystery in Dr. Strange seems to be present in Scarlet Witch too.

I still want to know why Steven hand fixed hands and no gray stripes. I still believe this is an impostor or snatched body from a Battleworld Strange.
>>
>>78756746
Right, this is where they convert Marvel magic to science we call magic to align it with the movies,
>>
File: image.jpg (180KB, 620x921px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
180KB, 620x921px
Not like they haven't called it that before.
>>
Read (and bought) first issue, liked female snake demon, liked the art somewhat.

Villains are crap. Magic hunters are boring, and now they spent several issues hyping them, doesn't help.

Never bought second issue.
>>
read the first issue and felt the magic side of Marvel is slowly diying
also, Strange with no gloves triggers my autism
>>
>>78746155
I've never really cared for Strange as main character and Aaron just rehashing his God Butcherer arc with uneven art doesn't sound appealing.
>>
Are there any good trades that cover strange being taught magic in depth?
>>
>>78757115
"Lol Wanda no worries you silly girl...except of course when Vizh, Agatha, and me all fuck up people will all think this magic babies thing was all you're idea so for us unlike you there are no worries hoho!"

And people call Wanda the crazy one.
>>
>>78746155
>Book that exists solely to promote an upcoming movie

Dr Strange deserved an ongoing years ago. This book will have no soul or reason to be other than what i stated above.
>>
>>78757953
....Motherfucker, the magic side of Marvel died 20 years ago.
This is the closest thing to a REVIVAL we've seen since then.
>>
I actually don't mind this series. This is my first time reading Doctor Strange so I can't say if hes coming across like Tony Stark or not. I like the art, and the first two issues were a nice read. After that I've felt a little meh about it.
>>
>>78750924
Magic by definition is not science.
>>
>>78756988
Gee, I read the comic and all of that works for me.
Rather than starting at square one and doing a origin et cetera, I see it as a continuation of all the Strange comics, not just "here's Dr Strange." It doesn't go against the core tenants, it continues them. After all that's gone on, the man is just a shell. He knows tons, and can still do tons. But what happens when he runs out of magic, or when his magic starts to get the same treatments that his shattered hands gave his medical career? As for the robots- that's a good villain, it's something that he knows nothing useful about. People? he's a doctor. Magic? he's the ex- sorcerer supreme. Robots? ...take the batteries out or hit it with a hammer a lot of times.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.