[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>kill off pretty much everyone because "muh new toys."

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 33

>kill off pretty much everyone because "muh new toys."

Did it have the desired effect? Did the season 3 toys even sell that well? Did kids even like any of the new Transformers (generally speaking)?

No other 80's toy commercial cartoon felt the need to do that. Why couldn't they have just let all the characters continue to co-exist?
Season 2 seemed to do an ok job of getting new toys screentime while not doing away with core cast members.

Was the movie a mistake?
>>
>>78645766
Traumatize your younger fanbase who would have continued to buy the toys while catering to the edgelord teens who were already too old for the toys. It was a huge mistake and killed off the original show. How it happened is pretty funny. The guys writing the Transformers movie hear that the guys writing the GI Joe movie are going to kill off Duke, so they decide to one up them and kill off everyone. Their movie goes out first and bombs. The GI Joe movie is changed to where Duke just ends up in a coma and pulls through in the end.
>>
>>78645766
better than what most other cartoons do, making endless re-releases of the same characters in slight pointless variations while major characters have still never had a figure of their own for dumbass reasons
something alas transformers eventually started doing. now there's 6 different sizes of each character, and only the biggest ones are worth a damn.. except when they fuck those up and the second biggest ones are.
>>
>>78645766
it's a war, someone had to die
>>
>>78646882
Its a kids cartoon, not a real war.
>>
>>78647037
it's a kid cartoon with a war in it
kids have to see bad stuff too not only nice and clean things
>>
>>78647096
No, they don't
>>
Come out Autobot, we must all die sometime
>>
>>78645766
>>kill off pretty much everyone because "muh new toys."

I was 4 or 5 when I first saw this movie and the year was 1995 and my experience with Transformers was watching old re-runs.

I fucking loved it.
>>
>Did kids even like any of the new Transformers (generally speaking)?

They still get new toys, so someone must like them.

Not so much Rodimus, though. He's never gonna escape Optimus' shadow.
>>
>>78645766
I saw the Movie when it premiered on my oldest brother's 12th birthday. My brothers and I mostly cut down on buying new ones after the movie, because the post-movie transformers didn't really look like anything.

I had the Scourge and Cyclonus that came with little robots that turned into guns. My brothers had a couple of the Headmasters and some Terrorcons and that was it.

>>78647364
The ones that get new toys are Cyclonus, Rodimus, Scourge in that order. I think there's been two Kups, one Springer, one Micro-machine Man robot and a Legends Wheelie. Galvatron shows up but mostly as a Megatron repaint.
>>
>>78647890

Two Springers.

And two Blurrs, two Pipes, two Swerves, two Tailgates...
>>
>>78645766
>kill off fan favorite Wheel Jack off screen

Still pissed about that!
>>
>>78647890
>>78647996
>Forgetting Ultra Magnus

Poor form.
>>
File: tftm0089.jpg (15KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
tftm0089.jpg
15KB, 320x240px
>>78648344
Would killing him ON screen have been preferable?
>>
>>78645766
I put my little 5 year old brother through G1 and when it was time to watch this movie he cried because his favorites died and then hated Rodimus, Arcee and the new guys.

I am guessing that a lot of kids probably didn't take it well in the 80's.
>>
>tfw Prowl was my favorite

jesus christ they ain't have to do like that >>78648429
>>
>>78648429
>>78648608

Such heroic nonsense...
>>
Jazz and Cliffjumper lived, so it wasn't all bad, right?
>>
File: mlavvuXaWt1qz4rgp.gif (855KB, 322x180px) Image search: [Google]
mlavvuXaWt1qz4rgp.gif
855KB, 322x180px
>its a "decepticons actually hit their targets" episode
>holy shit thats what happens?
>>
>>78645766
>No other 80's toy commercial cartoon felt the need to do that.
GI Joe did.
The second series dropped the previous characters altogether
>>
File: megatron-killing-ironhide-o.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
megatron-killing-ironhide-o.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>78648640
>>
>>78648559
Rodimus was shit and I'm glad Optimus came by. Nearly chance he got he doubted himself as the new Prime, did something to feel good about himself, then in the next episode it would happen again.
>>
File: Dead2.jpg (400KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Dead2.jpg
400KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: Brawn dead.jpg (425KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Brawn dead.jpg
425KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>78648831
>Hot Rod a confident, take-action young firecracker
>Could have been an amazing replacement
>"abloobloobloo, y m i nawt Optimus?"

How in the fuck did they expect kids to take to him he the character himself constantly thought he was a shit?

On that note, I wonder how things would have played out if Ultra Magnus had kept the Matrix as Optimus intended?
>>
>>78647196
I didn't know Tipper Gore posted on /co/

>tfw no one will remember who Tipper Gore was
>>
>>78648429
>Like Ironhide, and Brawn.
>Both die in the same scene.

But hey, at least they didn't vanish like Sideswipe, and Sunstreaker.
>>
>>78648999

>I wonder how things would have played out if Ultra Magnus had kept the Matrix as Optimus intended?

Things wouldn't have gone to shit, I tell you what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq1_6D9QS9Y&feature=youtu.be&t=218
>>
File: whywouldyoudothat.jpg (34KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
whywouldyoudothat.jpg
34KB, 400x225px
I made my parents rent this movie for me every weekend as a kid and I cried like a bitch through the whole opening.

I don't know what that says about child me.
>>
>>78648559
I showed it to my 5yo nephew after not seeing the movie for a long time. When Optimus dies he cried like a little girl.
>>
>>78645766
>No other 80's toy commercial cartoon felt the need to do that.

Most of those toy franchises were dead in two years, bar a few shelfwarming outlets who'd over-ordered.

Transformers ran until what late 1991 on that one 1984-originated idea? It sold wave after wave after wave. Yes, the movie worked, no, it wasn't a mistake.

The question you should be asking is not "were sales increased year on year" because you're not talking about a necessary commodity like oil or whatever, you're talking about fad toys. They pretty much can't increase sales year on year; they get one good season for the most part. It's how they work.

So when you're asking "did those toys even sell that well" you're asking a very loaded question: it's not possible to say without the movie they would continue to have sold the previous year's toys over and over. You've got nothing to back that up with.

What you have got - and you're ignoring - is that right from the start the tv show was edging out characters to give new toys screen time. A lot of them never really came back. Is that any different?
>>
>>78648831
Speak for yourself. I thought it was nice to have a different, more flawed leader. Many people also forget that Rodimus did grow into being a legit leader. But then they sacked him because they wanted to bring back Mary Sue Optimus Prime.
>>
File: 1441840032324.jpg (144KB, 500x483px) Image search: [Google]
1441840032324.jpg
144KB, 500x483px
>>78649306
It's okay, anon, my brother, my cousins and i were just the same but with bambi, dumbo and pinoccio
>>
>>78649861
It's really weird being an adult who grew up in the '80s and wishing that cartoons would return to nothing more than half hour commercials for toys because those shows were more fun to watch than the crap that's on now.
>>
>>78645766
The VHS copy I rented as a kid was unwatchable static. I was so angry. Still haven't seen it.
>>
>>78649161

and Snarl.. or Slag.

The Stegosaurus
>>
>>78645766
>Was the movie a mistake?

No, it was the best part of G1

The only mistake the movie made was killing Optimus becaus Magnus and Rodimus are both shitty characters and introducing Wheelie, other than that everyone who died was fine dead and the other newcomers were as cool as them
>>
>>78645766
I can't tell, is OP 30 years retroactively buttmad?
>>
File: Unicron.webm (3MB, 1290x720px) Image search: [Google]
Unicron.webm
3MB, 1290x720px
>>78647354
My 4 year old self had a very similar experience in 1997.
This movie is magic.
>>
Was Transformers: The Movie a mistake?

No.

What is wrong with you.
>>
File: Autobot city transformation.webm (3MB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
Autobot city transformation.webm
3MB, 720x400px
>>
File: Battle of Autobot City.webm (3MB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
Battle of Autobot City.webm
3MB, 720x400px
>>
>>78650519
>Mary Sue Optimus Prime.

Leave Optimus alone
>>
What I liked was the way that no one gave a shit about anyone but Prime dying.

Also putting Ultra Magnus back together made no sense.
>>
>>78645766
I respect this movie more than every other film adaptation of a kid franchise. Not only is it a wonderful animated sci-fi adventure but it really drove home the concept of war. Wheeljack, my favorite character, dies fucking off-screen. No big heroic, slow-motion passing. Made me understand as a kid that it doesn't matter who you are or how special you are, you can go at any moment and the universe doesn't discriminate.
>>
>>78645766
They couldn't blow up a whole wave of characters in the cartoon show due to censors
In the Shout factory making of/history stuff in the dvd collection the toy producers of the time say as much and thought the movie was a great way to raise the states and permanently phase out the toys they were no longer selling.
Keep in mind until sunbow and the like showed up kids never had a big reason to be heavily invested in their heroes it was just a flavor of the month thing. This was not the first time a series wipe out the cast in a violent way. This was the first time they got to see the magic Optimus Prime had on a generation of kids.
>>
Gen 2 is shit and I won't hear any differently
>>
>>78653264
That's got nothing to do with the movie.

Unless you're one of those people who think that everything after the movie was G2.
>>
File: optimus-prime-vs-jesus-christ.jpg (76KB, 540x784px) Image search: [Google]
optimus-prime-vs-jesus-christ.jpg
76KB, 540x784px
>>78652191
>>78652245
>>78652271

watched it so many times I can hear the music in my head
>>
File: 1429366080267.webm (3MB, 484x270px) Image search: [Google]
1429366080267.webm
3MB, 484x270px
>>78653954
I'm only 22 so it was before my time, but didn't G2 not start until '92?
>>
>>78654445
Pretty much. But some people use the label for anything that isn't "G1" enough for them.

So Pretenders, Headmasters, etc.
>>
>>78649087

Isn't she the one that came out with a labeling system to show which albums are cool?
>>
>>78645766
It's okay, they're just robots. Their "lives" shouldn't matter that much to anybody unless they're weeaboos.
>>
>there was an episode that was all about Cyclonus trying to get a therapist for Galvatron, but he's too batshit insane and he destroys a whole planet instead

Season three was ahead of its time.
>>
>>78646685
>>78645766

This kind of stuff happened every week in the hugely popular Marvel Transformers UK comic, which was astonishingly violent.
>>
>>78647196
UK comic made the animated movie look like Care Bears, anon.
>>
File: Sandstorm.jpg (49KB, 400x467px) Image search: [Google]
Sandstorm.jpg
49KB, 400x467px
>>78647890
Brainstorm, Sandstorm (best triple changer IMHO), Metroplex, and a few others were great, though.
>>
File: brainstorm_1201844252.jpg (281KB, 750x850px) Image search: [Google]
brainstorm_1201844252.jpg
281KB, 750x850px
>>78655343
Dat box art.

We will not see its like again. :-(
>>
File: inferno.jpg (335KB, 1194x1280px) Image search: [Google]
inferno.jpg
335KB, 1194x1280px
>>78655378
Disco Inferno.
>>
>>78645766

>What is a war?

Also, the movie OPENED with a scene in which an entire populated planet was literally eaten and everybody on it died gruesomely. By comparison, the rest of it was tame.
>>
>>78654445

"For a time, I considered sparing your wretched little planet Cybertron..."
>>
File: Rodimus_Prime_by_nakoshinobi.jpg (122KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
Rodimus_Prime_by_nakoshinobi.jpg
122KB, 600x750px
>>78645766
I liked Rodimus.
>>
>>78655378
It's weird to see him and Chromedome get so much attention in the IDW comics. I'm used to them being 0 personality guys in Headmasters.

What were they like in the G1 US version?
>>
> You got the touch. You got the powerrrr!
>>
>>78655452
>I'm used to them being 0 personality guys in Headmasters.

Pretty much the same.
>>
File: Prime arrives.webm (3MB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
Prime arrives.webm
3MB, 720x400px
>>
>>78652271
"I've got better things to do tonight than die!"
>>
File: Devastator vs Dinobots.webm (3MB, 720x400px) Image search: [Google]
Devastator vs Dinobots.webm
3MB, 720x400px
>>
I still can't believe that Dirge, of all characters, was meant to be a major Decepticon character in the film, to the point that he's almost treated like Megatron's right hand man.
>>
I've never watched this movie, but these webms are making me want to. Seriously, watching both sides get wrecked is hilarious.
>>
The movie's biggest mistake, IMO, was casting Orson Welles as Unicron. He certainly seemed quite disdainful of the movie and we probably could've gotten Tony Jay or someone similar to do the same voice for a fraction the cost.
>>
File: chromedome.jpg (305KB, 733x863px) Image search: [Google]
chromedome.jpg
305KB, 733x863px
>>78655452
They didn't get much development in the G1 UK and US comics.
>>
>>78655663
The movie lives up to the trailer's description of a "Rock and Roll adventure across the galaxy." The beginning and opening credits could be showcased in a museum. Hell, the opening sequence before the theme song could win an award as a sci-fi animated short at a film festival.

The comics and this movie both ran off the motif that "They're robots so you can fuck 'em up pretty heinously and get away with it", which is something I actually really support.
>>
>>78655740
>"Rock and Roll adventure across the galaxy."

I once watched a version where someone had painstakingly replaced the score with that of Star Wars.

It was goddamned awesome.
>>
>>78655740
I loved the animated movie precisely because it had, in that first act especially, the tone of the UK comics which I read avidly.
>>
>>78655808

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRK4rZ-7Cjc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-DjAe9SV1s
>>
File: laughing crying.png (1MB, 900x581px) Image search: [Google]
laughing crying.png
1MB, 900x581px
it's pretty well accepted the 80s is the dark ages of animation right?

what good things came out during the era?
>>
>>78655943
gr8 b8
>>
>>78655969
that's not an answer

I mean compared to the bounty in the early 90s I can't really think of any essentials that came out during the 80s
>>
>>78655994
>what is Wikipedia
Go educate yourself.
>>
As a poor, military brat whose mother didn't approve of non-educational media, I'd have to rely on my grandmother to record cartoons and send us the tapes. Didn't catch the movie right away, so when I got back stateside the new seasons were glaringly different.

Classmates gave me a vague synopsis about most of the old guard getting bumped off, so when I'd see some of the old combiner team members I'd think that a couple of them were movie casualties and they couldn't gestalt anymore.
>>
>>78655452
Out of the non-leader headmasters only Nightbeat had much character development that I can remember.
>>
Didn't Headmasters anime change like, five fucking Autobot leaders during it's run? First Optimus (died in order to stabilize Vector Sigma or something), then Rodimus (fucked off to space when Cybertron was destroyed), then Ultra Magnus (died in battle), then Chromedome and in the end Fortress Maximus.
>>
>>78659021

Also Arcee was pretty much benched and served as nothing more than the leader's secretary. Smooth fucking move there, Japan.
>>
>>78657707
Nightbeat is one of the coolest Autobots. You could do a whole movie where he's doing his detective work.
>>
>>78655452
>>78655562
>>78655725
>>78657707
Chromedome had the designation of main character in the Japanese Headmasters. So he is memorable for that.

And Rebirth gave Hardhead and Brainstorm the rough general character of toughguy and smart nerdy guy.

>>78659021
No.
Optimus -> Rodimus -> Fortress

UM was City Commander
And Chromedome was one of Fortress's warriors.
>>
>>78655693
>The movie's biggest mistake, IMO, was casting Orson Welles as Unicron.
Are you from Bizzaro Earth?
>>
File: pensive.jpg (5KB, 230x191px) Image search: [Google]
pensive.jpg
5KB, 230x191px
>>78648429

>Watching the light fade from Prowl's eyes as he belched smoke

4 year old me was never the same. Actual trauma.
>>
>>78648714

God it still hurts.
>>
File: vf-1sjetfire.jpg (81KB, 972x576px) Image search: [Google]
vf-1sjetfire.jpg
81KB, 972x576px
>>78646882
>it's a war, someone had to die
>>78647096
>kids have to see bad stuff too not only nice and clean things
not OP, but I wasn't completely oblivious as a kid. I read the newspaper (for the comics) and watched the news with my grandma. When Transformers and Gobots came out, I was one of those kids that wished they'd get their arms and legs blown off because fucking ROBOTS. I very much wanted to see them get their shit fucked because I knew they'd NEVER show that happen in G.I. Joe because people bleed real blood. (I didn't like G.I. Joe. Specially trained super-soldier army guys - the best in the world! - ALL of them have SHIT AIM... whaaaaa???)

But after 2 seasons, I grew to like and enjoy Transformers for what it was. Giant robots slapfighting each other every episode.

Then the movie happened.
Suddenly, and without warning, EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER I LIKED was dead.
That's fucking bullshit.
Had the series began in this way and set the precedent for what could possibly happen later on in the story, then sure, okay. shit happens. robot people die when they are killed in ROBOT WAR. Okay.

But TF:The Movie? absolute bullshit.
As far as I was concerned, G1 ended there.
To further add salt to the wound, they didn't pull that shit again with the post movie cast, either.

As a kid, you could FEEL some invisible douchebag smashing all your fav toys and shoving new merch in your face from the other side of the screen. It was repulsive.

I put up with it anyway, tho. Not like there were better options at the time. Macross and Gundam wasn't as accessible back then as Hasbro's cashcow.
>>
>>78651155

Not even remotely close to true. The original transformers, as much nostalgia I have for it, is fucking unwatchable nonsense.
>>
>>78655118
The American transformers comic killed off lots of characters, too.

Since they were all robots, they could get away with it.
>>
>>78660027
I've seen it recently with absolutely zero nostalgia for it (it was a few years after my time) but it has its moments I think.

It's just sandwiched in between a bunch of lasers and characters who appear once and never again, especially towards the end of the series. Incidentally, with no nostalgia I enjoyed the movie a lot more. I was entertained at the fact that the Decepticons suddenly became competent with lasers, like holy fucking shit it comes out of nowhere. Any series that has the balls to kill off fan favorite characters has at least some of my respect. You actually feel something at their deaths, rather than just some random autobot redshirt. Not to mention fucking Prime.

Rodimus a shit though, and fuck Goldberg, Bumble Bee is way better.
>>
>>78663269
*before my time

I need to go to bed
>>
>Optimus dies from a hole in his side
>Magnus survives being torn apart

bullshit
>>
File: Rung survives.jpg (72KB, 500x242px) Image search: [Google]
Rung survives.jpg
72KB, 500x242px
>>78666061
It's funny because Transformers STILL does this kind of shit

How many times has a headshot been fatal in the comics? But not this guy. He's super special.
>>
>>78666357
Named characters don't die from getting shot.
>>
File: Decepticon_markers.gif (55KB, 431x406px) Image search: [Google]
Decepticon_markers.gif
55KB, 431x406px
>>78666061
Megatron didn't survive, he was dying. Starscream wasn't being self-serving (well, wasn't just) the guys they were chucking off Astrotrain were dying. Most of them were dead by the time they met Unicron.

In the original script, this is made more obvious, with the fighting over leadership happening while he's still around. Also, they didn't jettison Megatron and the others, the Decepticons had a ritual where they put the "Life Sparks" of great leaders in their statues. (That's what you see flickering beneath them in the movie)
They're too busy fighting for leadership to perform this rite for Megs, and keep knocking over the statues, freeing their life sparks, so Megs and the other ancient con heroes sparks are freed, and end up in space.
Unicron offers Megs his deal at that point, after his death.
>>
>>78655088

That and the Cobra Commander episode made that Season 3 and 4 set worth the price alone. Loved those episodes as a kid.
>>
>>78666431
I remember hearing that originally Starscream was shown hiding in a corner during the battle, then shooting the victor in the back.

No idea as to whether or not that's true.
>>
File: ReflectorFlight1.jpg (68KB, 957x725px) Image search: [Google]
ReflectorFlight1.jpg
68KB, 957x725px
>>78667121
>then shooting the victor in the back.

This scene would have been truly golden if the victor had been someone completely out of left field.

Like this guy

"Holy shit, I haven't had a speaking role since, like, episode 5 or 6, and now I'm the fucking Decepticon leader? This is the best day ever!"

And then he died
>>
>>78667121
>Starscream, the most honorable Decepticon
>Shooting someone in the back
LIBEL.
>>
>>78666357
He survived because his brain module itself wasn't destroyed, they do say they had to completely rebuild his head and that that and recovery took months.
>>
>>78667121
Not in the version of the script I've been looking at. Which is the crazy ass version with the anibots, Unicron (or rather Ingestor) attacking Earth, the stone based Lithonians, and this fella.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?0inh2batalrb6gt It's really kind of neat.
>>
>>78672254
>this constitutes a Transformers toy
>in 2016
Good lord.
>>
File: TitansReturn-Rewind.jpg (97KB, 900x397px) Image search: [Google]
TitansReturn-Rewind.jpg
97KB, 900x397px
>>78672294
Yeah, it's kind of weird how crappy it is, considering the Rewind toy looks neat.

And pisses off so many people by referencing the IDW version with the camera.
>>
>>78672294

There's been worse at higher prices than the legends casette though.

See: Prime Airachnid.
>>
>>78655602
I never get tired of seeing him wreck shop
>>
>>78645766
Sometimes I like to imagine the reaction of people if other cartoons made to sell toys did the same thing...Killing off most of the cast from the first seasons of a show just to make room for the new characters.
>>
>>78655663
you should
>>
>>78655602

I find it funny how the movie keeps alternating between good animation and horrible animation. It's like they had two different studios doing it.
>>
>>78648757
Some of them came back. Just with really bad designs.
>>
This is a great flick. I'm an oldfag though, and bought the soundtrack on CD at Border's Books and Music
>>
>>78672511
I wish that's what Marvel did. Then we wouldn't need this sliding timeline bullshit
>>
>>78672441
Good.
>>
>>78672717
>Border's Books and Music
Blast from the past, anon.
>>
>>78672539
No kidding man.

>>78652191 Is animated beautifully for a movie this old, it even approaches Akira in terms of detail and shading.

Then you have mixes of great and mediocre animation like here:
>>78652245
>>78652271
I will definitely commend the lighting either way. It always just looks so rad when explosions go off.
>>
>>78672441
>And pisses off so many people by referencing the IDW version with the camera.

What an innocuous thing to get pissed about

It's almost unnoticeable

Why do toy fans have such a hate boner for IDW? The comics aren't perfect, but at least they TRY to do something different and give obscure guys a bit of character and storytime
>>
>>78676620
Because you're not allowed to call a story G1 unless it is in continuity with all the 80s shit. Reboots are forbidden.
>>
>>78676721
But the ones in the 80s were not in continuity with themselves. Even beyond the typical errors, there was the the fact the show, the comic, the packaging information with the toys, and secondary things like children books set up different worlds.
>>
>>78676952
And don't forget the comics were split between the US and two UK continuities.
>>
File: wolfjack.jpg (45KB, 600x426px) Image search: [Google]
wolfjack.jpg
45KB, 600x426px
>browsing for new hetero-transformer doujins
>no luck
>found pic
>book is 1200++ yen

found my first import this year.
>>
>>78648929
>>78648851
I wish they'd release a HD version with the original 4:3 screens, instead of the widescreen "let's cut off half the screen" versions.
>>
>>78650833
this goddamn image man.
It hits so close to home.
>>
>>78655451
Me too anon, me too!!!
>>
>>78672254
I do wonder if Simon Furman got some of his ideas from that early draft because Unicron got trapped in an asteroid while shifting out of the astral plane (I think) seems to draw from that concept a little.
>>
>>78652319
>Also putting Ultra Magnus back together made no sense.

Because they edited the scene halfway while making it. He was meant to have his limbs torn off. You can see parts of it still in the movie, the Sweeps use solid beams, they were meant to be laser lassos grabbing the limbs of Ultramagnus.

They then realized that it was a too graphic death scene, so after the sweeps do their laser beams, the scene cuts to Magnus having pew pew lasers bouncing off his body and then spontaneously exploding.

Junkions resurrecting him would have worked in that context since they literally would have just put the torn off limbs together.
>>
>>78680088
Didn't the Marvel comic adaptation of the film use an early draft?
>>
File: issue75_page05.jpg (306KB, 885x1265px) Image search: [Google]
issue75_page05.jpg
306KB, 885x1265px
>>78655452
>>78655725
Chromedome was hilarious during the Unicron fight though.

*Unicron shows up, starts eating Cybertron*
- shit Chromedome, you are the smart guy, what do we do?
- I, uh... NO NO NO NO NO NO NO (blasting nonstop)

Then Unicron impales him on a fingernail and eats him like a piece of popcorn.
>>
>>78666357
>How many times has a headshot been fatal in the comics? But not this guy. He's super special.

They explained that in the comics, when Sunstreaker wanted to commit suicide. They can be rebuilt so easily, that it is nearly impossible for them to kill themselves. Then he went off and fought a thousand savage insecticons, then nuking the bridge they were all on.

And he fucking survived.
>>
>>78672254
Geez, that thing transforms from a tiger, to a jet, to a... a USB stick?

That's probably the craziest amount of mass shifting present in the toyline. Even more ridiculous than combiners turning Godzilla sized, or Broadside turning from aircraft to aircraft carrier.
>>
>>78680244
Yeah, but one pretty close to the actual film.

I wouldn't mind seeing the old draft done as a comic. Tom Scioli'd probably be perfect for it.
>>
>>78676620
>Why do toy fans have such a hate boner for IDW?

Too many gay robots.
>>
>>78680520
>I wouldn't mind seeing the old draft done as a comic. Tom Scioli'd probably be perfect for it.

If they turned it into something similar to what they do with TF vs GI Joe, then it could be incredibly great.

It's only fault would be not coming with a rocking 80s soundtrack.

Seriously, one of the best things of the TF movie was the soundtrack.
>>
>>78680312
Is it true that US readers hated Geoff Senior's art?
Us Brits revered him as a Living God and the young Bryan Hitch immitated him (seriously look at Hitch's early art).
>>
>>78680561
Theres only a mere handful, does that trigger their speshul snowflakeness?
>>
>>78676620

>Why do toy fans have such a hate boner for IDW?

Hey, don't lump us all together like that.

I love the comics and the toys (hurry up and come out, Voyager Sky Lynx!)
>>
>>78681872
>Theres only a mere handful, does that trigger their speshul snowflakeness?

It feels like there has been one in every other comic now, and MTMTE in particular has turned into a stupid fucking sitcom where the robots are fighting concepts.
>>
>>78647364
>Rodimus

Literally the Yamcha of Transformers. Even his name sounds gay
>>
>>78649087
>tfw Frank Zappa fan
>tfw know EXACTLY who Tipper Gore is

She still brings my Piss to a boil desu senpai
>>
>>78682241
>one in every other comic now
>lit'ruly thousands of other "straight" robots that have been the main focus for the last 31 years
yeah ok
>>
>>78680610
Hmm yeah, having the rocking soundtrack expressed in comic book format would be difficult.

Still, given Transformers vs GI Joe, I wouldn't put it past them.
>>
The 1985 TF movie is one of the best animated, casted, and well written movies I've ever seen produced for a franchise. I still watch it every few months.
>>
>>78648780
Looks like /m/egatron stopped /co/ and their heroic nonsense.
>>
File: ArblusKranix.jpg (12KB, 250x170px) Image search: [Google]
ArblusKranix.jpg
12KB, 250x170px
>>78652191
>Arblus look, Its Unicron!
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>78684680
>Autobots
>Being heros in any way
Those mean autobrats were just hindering progress, besides, the autobots shot first.
>>
>>78680312
That's Brainstorm though.
>>
>>78682418
>lit'ruly
Back to /toy/ with you.
>>
>>78687562
No.
>>
>>78687600
All right then. Keep up the good work.
>>
File: Raksha.jpg (43KB, 285x401px) Image search: [Google]
Raksha.jpg
43KB, 285x401px
>>78685562
>>78684680

raksha pls go
>>
>>78672294
That's a Legends class triple changer. It's about 1.5"x2" in it's phone mode. It's pretty impressive how they were even able to do that, considering Triple Changers always have a ton of problems.

I have Buzzsaw and he's kind of neat.

>>78672441
>camera
It took me a while to notice that. He does look really good, though. Hopefully the inevitable Rumble/Frenzy remold gets a retool so he can get two guns.

>two guns
>on a Transformer
>in 2016
Oh well, I can dream.

>>78676620
It's only a few people, but they're incredibly vocal about it. It's mostly that the new comics in particular go for a more "Star Trek" vibe and questions the core of the brand, like why there are two factions just looking to kill each other.

It doesn't help that there's "gay robots," since a lot of the people who hate IDW are die-hard Furman style "Transformers are alien robots! They have no genders!" shitters, but that's not the only reason.

Then there's also the fact that /tfg/ and the /toy/ Transformers generals have a longstanding feud that led both to hate each other.
>>
>>78646685
"Catering to edgelords" didn't have much to do with it. By most accounts, the writers were more baffled than anything by the negative response the movie got. As far as they were concerned, killing off Prowl had about as much weight as killing off that one fat X-wing pilot; they seemed baffled at the idea that kids had grown so fond to these one-dimensional cartoon robots based on repackaged Japanese toys.
>>
>>78645766
It was fucking amazing.

Old dude here. I saw those when they debuted. It was fucking mindblowing. Singlehandedly responsible for that show being as revered as it is.
>>
>>78688112
>Singlehandedly responsible for that show being as revered as it is.

I wouldn't go that far, TMNT was a shitty cartoon and it has just as many fans without a cartoon movie that was superior to it.

Even if G1 was pretty standard 80s shlock show, it was more than just a show, before video games became the main focus of a childs life it was action figures
>>
File: TF vs GIJoe.jpg (149KB, 600x911px) Image search: [Google]
TF vs GIJoe.jpg
149KB, 600x911px
So we're apparently going to get another text story in the next TFvsGIJoe issue. Should be fun, I really liked the Soundwave one, and this'll be about Galen, the Headmaster.
Thread posts: 157
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.