[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are collard greens?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: Screenshot_2016-02-14-22-15-31.jpg (355KB, 1107x1969px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-02-14-22-15-31.jpg
355KB, 1107x1969px
What are collard greens?
>>
>>7377052
A cabbage of a variety that does not develop a heart.
>>
>>7377057
So is collard greens different than the group collard greens?
>>
>>7377057
damn anon... did a collard green dump you on valentines day or something?
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 800x450px
>>
File: Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-04.png (74KB, 412x351px) Image search: [Google]
Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-04.png
74KB, 412x351px
>>7377063
>>
something black people in the south eat.
Thats about all I know about them
>>
>>7377052
Collard greens (collards) are various loose-leafed cultivars of Brassica oleracea, the species which also contains vegetables including cabbage (Capitata Group) and broccoli (Botrytis Group). Collard greens are part of the Acephala Group of the species, which includes kale and spring greens.
>>
>>7377082
But no anon, they also list collard greens as a separate entity inside the category of collard greens.
>>
>>7377052

Brassica olerace alboglabra.

t. food scientist
>>
>>7377078
that's all you need to know really. whites in the south usually eat a mixture of turnip and mustard greens. collards are good but most black people use the whole leaf and the bigger parts of the vein just ruin the texture
>>
>>7377095
Fuck brassica, fuck you
>>
nigger sprouts
>>
>>7377052
Not very good
>>
>>7377052
Slop that black people eat because apparently they haven't realized nothing is keeping them from eating the palatable parts of the vegetables anymore.
>>
File: 51cnyrNGmoL._SL500_AA280_.jpg (21KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
51cnyrNGmoL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
21KB, 280x280px
i aint no brassica bitch

i aint no cabbage patch snitch

im talking real

no mustard oil appeal

u niggas straight up gay

for eating greens that aint in asteraceae
>>
>>7377052
Greens you can cook like most others similar to it. Can be used in the place of kale in Caldo Verde. I prefer to cook it in some kind of animal fat like bacon with a little bourbon and some vinegar.
>>
>itt limp-wristed pampered urbanites

Collards are whatever you make them to be, and they've been eaten by people all over the world for thousands of years.

You can saute them to eat them quickly, or stew them for hours, and they can be used as a simple side dish, or as the basis of a soup, or the main component of a meal with any given protein.

They were popular in the south because they were easy to grow in the southern climate, and available practically year round, which meant they were plentiful and inexpensive. They were / are eaten by EVERYONE, not just blacks, and the only people that think they are a "black" food are ignorant sheltered urbanites that haven't ventured out of their urban shitholes into the real world.
>>
>>7377308
But what are they? Are they thier own plant or are they a collective term for big leafy shits?
>>
>>7377186
>slop
They are a part of one of the most healthiest families of vegetables
But yeah okay, it's probably shitty because it was fed to slaves and/or criminals
Like lobsters were
>>
>>7377308
>appropriating black culture
Its just not white people food,

Also, I wouldn't say not living with rural white southerners makes one sheltered. Bumfuck Alabama is just not a destination many people put high on their list of places to experience
>>
>>7377313
They are their own plant within the Brassica oleracea species.
>>
It's kale that actually tastes good. Cooked in pig fat of course.
>>
>>7377336
>I am clueless about how people actually live outside of urban shitholes and suburbs
>>
>>7377364
I am from a civilized part of the country, people here do not eat collard greens regardless of whether they are urban or rural.
Also, I grew up at the edge of the suburbs, a lot of people in my town were rural farmers
>>
>>7377360
To be fair, just about anything tastes good when cooked in pig fat.
>>
>>7377370
>thinks consuming one of the healthiest green leafy plants on the planet is "uncivilized"

I bet you all eat the hell out of some "Chinese" take out though, don't you.
>>
>>7377407
No, I don't think consuming it makes you uncultured, just that the few people in america who do consume it are uncultured. I obviously don't think the consumption is what makes them uncultured
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.