[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How not to caramelize your onions.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3671.jpg (197KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3671.jpg
197KB, 640x480px
Looking for advice. In a new apartment with an electric stove (I grew up on gas). Using a stainless pan to cook. Regardless of the temperature I set the stove to I continue to get something like pic related. What's happening here, is my oil burning? And how can I avoid this? Counting down the months until I move out of here.
>>
>>7373641
use butter. low heat, takes a while
>>
You can use oil or butter, electric or gas.

You can't just set it on high and walk away without ever stirring it,
>>
Keep the heat WAY low. There really is no shortcut to carmelized onions. You want to keep the heat low and it's going to take you hours. Move it once in a while, keep an eye that it doesn't burn, and if you have to, deglaze the pan with a small amount of liquid and scrape it off, and keep going.

The top 3 mistakes people make when caramelizing onions are:
1. It's too hot.
2. The heat's too high.
3. TURN DOWN THE FUCKING HEAT
>>
I had it set to about halfway up the heat scale. Better to just leave it on low and wait a long time to heat up?
>>
>Watching Good Eats episode on onions
>Alton promises that you CAN'T FUCK UP AND BURN these onions no matter what
>>
salt them
>>
>>7373679
That's too high. You want to keep it on the lowest end of medium, usually. Particularly if you're using electric.

Also, if you use butter, use a butter and oil mixture. Butter browns and burns really easily.
>>
>>7373641
>>7373660
>>7373671
>>7373678
>>7373679
>>7373687
>>7373689
My grandma just uses backing soda, it caramelizes much faster that way. Also uses it to make collards more tender.

It works for me anons
>>
you can caramelize on high heat if you are using a well seasoned skillet. in this case the fault isnt your technique, but your pan, as stainless steel pans are nigh useless for anything that isnt boiling water
>>
>>7373750
not caramelize, but brown
>>
>>7373750
>stainless steel pans are nigh useless for anything that isnt boiling water

yeah who wants fond

ALERT -- PERSON WHO CAN'T COOK AT ALL ALERT --
>>
File: weenies.jpg (935KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
weenies.jpg
935KB, 2048x1536px
>>7373704

ATK uses baking soda to quickly break down broccoli for broccoli cheese soup, which I've made a number of times (they really only add a pinch of cheese).

Never tried it in caramelized onions, but will next time.

Pic marginally related; it was dinner.

Leftover ingredients from when it turned out I didn't have to host super bowl.

Little wienies in crescent rolls (pretty gross). Some had cream cheese and jalapeno, some had garlic butter with parmesan on top, some had sauerkraut, 1000 island, and Swiss, and some had caramelized onions with whole grain mustard.

It was all both overly salty and sweet, but my caramelized onions turned out perfect, just like always.
>>
>>7373771
implying that isnt boiling water LOL. literally prove my statement ty
>>
I've found on electric and induction it's much easier to use thicker cookware, especially if the burner is cheap.

The reason is that those two methods don't really increase or decrease the temperature, because they really only have two temperatures, on and off (1 and 0). They operate by turning the heat and off to sort of hit the temperature you're aiming for.

This can be a problem if your cookware is very thin because it will heat up way too much during the hot cycle and cool down too much during the off cycle because it wont retain heat.

I had a cheap aluminum pan and an induction cooker and I was constantly burning stuff in a circle in the middle of the pan while stuff even a few inches away from that zone went almost uncooked. Then I bought a cast iron pan and it immediately improved my situation, because the heat had time to get through the entire bottom of the pan and it cooked much more evenly.

However, I moved to a new apartment and that one had a gas stove which worked with my aluminum pan just fine because the fire was even and the heat can go up and down properly.
>>
I use this guy's method and it works very well for me. I'm using a stainless steel pan with a halogen stove top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt_0e72fs9M
>>
>>7373880
You don't understand the principles of induction dude.
>>
>>7373660
>>7373678
The fuck, guys? You basically just burn them. They work out a bit better if you do them a bit more slowly, granted, but it's difficult to totally mess up no matter how quickly you do it.

OP's pic is impossible, because you can't have onion remain that white while the oil chars beneath it. Maybe he used butter and let it sit too long before adding the onions, but it's got nothing to do with cooking onions at too high a heat.
>>
>memeing your onions for hours for an incredibly marginal improvement

yup. we've got foodNEETs.
>>
>>7373641
stir your fucking onions retard. don't even move. just stand there and fucking stir until it's done
>>
>>7374166
Nah, he's right. My induction has two states, on and off, the heat settings are 1-9, the larger the number the smaller the gap between the on and off state. Great for boiling water, shit for just about everything else.
>>
i use corn oil and a little bit of sugary glaze (teriyaki works well) and while they're not grade a carmelized onions like you'd get in a great restaurant, they do just fine. medium heat for like 5 minutes and they taste just fine
>>
>>7374227
Not my experience at all, I got a 2200 watt single hob from japan. It has either temperature setting or wattage, both work flawlessly.

Also aluminum is not the best tool for the job here.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.