[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fermentation Failure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMAG0293.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0293.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
Looking for some help making both Sauerkraut and Kimchi. I've tried making them both before but every time the fermentation process does not go well. I can't explain to you what I might be doing that's wrong but maybe you could give me some tips and pointers.
>>
>>7363857
probably got an infection or you temps are off

I would start with the sanitation, go buy some starsan and sanitize everything you use in the process.
>>
You can get a starter culture from culturesforlife.com. Other than that you need to keep everything clean, and keep it cool (60-65F).
>>
>>7363876
>>7364309
It is possible as far as temperature since I did last make it in summer and it was fairly hot. Thanks for the insight. Do you guys prepare any pickled/fermented items? What are they and what's you're recipe s
>>
>>7363857

I've got some kraut fermenting as we speak.

How much salt did you use, anon? Should be like 2.5 to 3% by weight. Too much inhibits fermentation, too little enhances bacterial funk growing in your kraut.

Hotter temps speed fermentation, and cooler temps slow that shit the fuck down.

Most of the fermentation process takes place within the first 4 days or so, anon, the rest is just waiting until you get the flavor you like.
>>
>>7364427
I've got some pickles going; cucumber, carrot, radish and cauliflower.
>>
>>7363857
I like to take a steaming dump in each of my jars before I cap them off. I find that the additional bacteria introduced really enhance the grace of the process.
>>
i made a miso fermantation of karrots from sander katz book and i think it kind of made my stomach hurt? does this sound real
>>
>>7363857
I do sauerkraut ocasionaly, I just cut the cabbage into strips, add peppercorns and caraway seeds, pack it is a jar real tight and pour in the marinade enough to cover the cabbage. The marinade is 1l boiling water, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablesppon of salt, cool it to room temperatire before pouring it into the cabbage jar. You may need more than 1 liter to cover the cabbage, but proportions are the same. You leave the cabbage at room temperature for 3 days and taste it, if it is sour enough that you just move it to the fridge and close with a lid, it will stop the fermentation. Note, while fermenting it at room temperature poke it with a long knife or smth like that to let out the fermantation gases, make sure to poke through right to the bottom. This method never failed me so far.
>>
What ingredients/steps did you use for your kimchi? I can help you out.
>>
>>7365689
I've made kimchi twice before using two different recipes on the mangchi.com site I think that's what it's called I'm currently at work so sorry about the lack of information.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.