[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fridge After Losing Power

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 2

How many hours after a power outage would you think perishables in a fridge would need to be tossed?

All unopened, I had shredded cheese, cartons of egg whites, packaged sausage, Greek yogurt, and milk in the fridge for about 9 hours before I tossed it outside where it's 20 degrees.

The government (foodsafety.org) says toss that shit after 4 hours but growing up in my house we never tossed food from 12-24 hour outages and never got sick.
>>
>>7348611
foodsaftey is more for the elder or infirm. Just apply the same smell/feel/taste test you would to anything else.
>>
Even at 30 degrees celcius room temperature, I feel safe keeping my fridge turned off for 24 hours as long as I don't open it. Above 30 celsius I leave it turned on at all times. Never gotten food poisoning from anything I prepared at home, but I'm a reasonably young person in adequate health.
>>
Unless you're a dirty Australian, just throw your shit outside. It's cold enough in most of the Northern Hemisphere.
>>
>>7348611
>he government (foodsafety.org) says toss that shit after 4 hours
It should say 4 hours after reaching the "danger zone" which is ~40F - ~140F (they change it sometimes).
The cheese is fine, the eggs whites were probably pasteurized, the sausage...meh, yogurt is fine, milk is probably pasteurized.
40F is where bacteria {COULD} start reproducing and get you sick. It's not a finite temperature that {WILL} get you sick.
If the power goes out, keep the door closed. There should be enough cold stored in the fridge to last a long time.
>>
>>7348611
I've never seen a more obviously staged pic. You don't sneak a lock of a girl's hair while being ready to snap a photo of her reaction.
>>
>>7348643
>Australian pretending to be American
>>
>>7348649
>we never tossed food from 12-24 hour outages and never got sick
Also should note that the things that make you sick don't live inherently in all foods. You could eat raw chicken and not contract E.Coli simply because it doesn't infect ALL chicken.
>>
That is to say, the food in question has to be contaminated in the first place, AND THEN stored improperly or cooked improperly to make you sick. See?
>>
>>7348653
Eh. Reminds me of being in highschool. I'd have had a crush on someone like her, so staged or not it makes me feel cozy.
>>
Don't eat anything from your fridge for two days.
If anything had substantial bacteria growth, you won't be able to smell it yet.
Two days from now you can start using the smell test.
>>
>>7348687

>don't eat anything until it all goes bad

Solid advice anon, thanks.
>>
I wouldn't worry about any of those. Honestly, traditionally a lot of those items have been left out anyway, with no problem. And if they're unopened? I wouldn't worry at all. Give 'em the sniff test and carry on.

The sorts of things I would be worried about would be raw meats you had in the fridge, cooked rice, and anything that was already a little old to begin with.
>>
>>7348649
>>7348667
>>7348672
please read, /ck/
educate yourselves
KNOW instead of GUESS
>>
>>7348692
The food is potentially already bad. Hence give it a waiting period before you can accurately test if it's bad.
If it's going to smell bad within two days, but wouldn't have were the power not cut, then the food is bad now but the smell test would be ineffective.

If I leave chicken on my bench top for four hours it is no longer safe. But it won't develop a smell after a mere four hours.
>>
File: 200_s.gif (39KB, 304x200px) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
39KB, 304x200px
>>7348768
Read >>7348751
The bacteria that cause that smell aren't the same bacteria that cause the sickness.
>>
>>7348768

>4 hours in the tdz and your food will kill you

9 hours in an unopened fridge, and then moved to a ice chest outside, for shit that hasn't even been opened shouldn't be a problem.

The real question is why OP has nothing but unopened shit in his fridge in the first place. Did he just move into a new apartment, go shopping, and have the thing die during his first night there?
>>
>>7348611
When it starts smelling bad. Duh.
>>
>>7348796
It sounds like most of the food you own is bought in containers. Why are you on /ck/?
>>
>>7349206
Says "Food & Cooking" in the board topic, not "Food Snobbery".
>>
>>7349212
>"Food & Cooking"
Yeah, not "plastic and cooking."
>>
>>7349206

>bought in containers

Most food is sold in containers, aside from produce, which any idiot should be able to tell is spoiled or not.

Everything in the OP is in a "container".
>>
>>7349214
I'm pretty sure plastic comes up here often. It's used in cooking.
>>
>>>7348611 (OP)
Paranoidanon here, and I'd still keep all that stuff. If it had been opened, I'd be cautious about it. But unopened, the only thing I'd wonder about is the yogurt, as it's probably the only item that intentionally has live cultures in a sealed container, and even then I don't think it would sicken you after that duration, it just might have changed consistency and flavor.
>>
>>7348619
The "smell test" is dumb. You cannot smell most pathogenic bacteria. Can you smell that raw meat will make you sick? I sure can't.
The taste test is on a whole nother level of silly, since you are now eating something that might be hazardous to your health to "test" it.

>>7349243
All foods that have to be refrigerated have live cultures in them, that's why you have to refrigerate them. These products are pasteurized, they're not sterile.
>>
>>7349287
You can smell that harmful chemicals which can't be cooked away have already been produced by bacteria.
>>
>>7349287

Anyone who's dealt with food even just a bit can tell if something is off just using sight, smell, and touch.

Yes, you can even tell if raw meat has gone bad by the smell alone.
>>
ITT: the blind lead the autistic
>>
>>7349361

>tfw props for autism
>>
>>7349300
>Yes, you can even tell if raw meat has gone bad by the smell alone.
That's not what I said though. I said you can't smell that raw meat will make you sick when you eat it, which is true. The premise was that you can "smell" that something is hazardous to your health. This is false. Smelling does nothing. And just because something smells "off" does not mean it is unsafe to eat, it could be perfectly safe.

>>7349291
This is false.
>>
>>7349470

Yes, there are no absolutes, and something that's in your fridge might make you sick, even while your fridge is still working.

All else being equal, you should be able to tell if something has gone bad after not being refrigerated for however many hours, in almost every case, simply by looking at it, smelling it, and touching it.

Restaurants would be shut down on health violations much more often if this weren't the case.
>>
>>7348611
eggs shouldn't even go in the fridge
milk goes bad in less than 12 hours in room temperature
yogurt might last a bit longer
cheese lasts longer
sausage i would keep as long as milk
>>
>>7349481
A proper restaurant simply follows the legally mandated regulations, which state that any potentially unsafe food that has been in the temperature danger zone for longer than 2, 3 or 4 hours total has to be tossed/used immediately, depending on the country.
>>
>>7349287

Biomedical Scientist here,

Actually smelling things once they've been cultured and incubated on a plate is one of the quickest ways to identify what it is.

Psuedomonas smells sweet, kinda like pear drops. Candida and other yeasts smell like beer. Most anaerobes smells disgusting, because they metabolise Sulphar and produce hydrogen sulphate. Eikenellas smell like bleach. Etc.
>>
>>7349526
>Biomedical Scientist here,
Hi, Billy Mays here with another fantastic product.
>>
>>7348611

If you are not a a baby or an elderly person things don't need to be thrown away. I leave meat, cheese out over night regularly and have never been sick. I wouldn't fuck about with raw chicken that goes bad quickly.

Also eggs do not need to be in the fridge.
>>
>>7349483
Why don't you put eggs in the fridge?
>>
>>7349557
Because they don't go bad? Why don't grocery stores keep them fridgerated?
>>
My power was out for 3 days and nights in Dec. Nothing went bad.
>>
>>7349557

In the UK eggs aren't sold refrigerated - On the shelf next to bread and olive oil.
>>
File: 227.jpg (1MB, 2304x2304px) Image search: [Google]
227.jpg
1MB, 2304x2304px
OP here. Back after a nice sleep in a 55 degree house. Thanks for the replies.

The only thing that was opened was one of my jugs of milk and shredded cheese. One carton of egg whites was also opened so I finished that off last night cooking in candle light with the opened cheese.

The milk and eggs are pasteurized and the sausage was all sealed and likely has some preservatives.

Most of my stuff was unopened by luck desu. I just finished a container of yogurt that morning and polished off the mentioned items that day.

I'll probably just toss the opened milk even though it's likely fine. Not much left anyways.
>>
>>7349563
Because they do.
I've never see a grocery store not keeping eggs cold sitting on a shelf like a loaf of bread.
>>
>>7349575
Wow. That just blew my mind senpai.
>>
>>7349584
>loaf of bread in the cold

Where the fuck do you live? I hope this is a joke.
>>
>>7349575
This - but then, our chickens are vaccinated (lion mark) against salmonella, largely thanks to Edwina Currie who was forced to resign due to the backlash (but was in fact absolutely 100% correct). Don't try it if you live in a country which doesn't do that.

It makes a few recipes easier and doesn't affect shelf life at all.
>>
Unless your fridge has the world's worst seals, you should be fine. Nine hours is nothing as long as you were smart enough to keep the door fucking shut.
>>
>>7349483
>eggs shouldn't even go in the fridge
depends on where you live. in america eggs are washed, which removes a protective coating from the eggs. they need to be refrigerated.

>>7349588
>reading comprehension
>>
>>7349611
>eggs are washed, which removes a protective coating from the eggs

What in the fuck are you talking about? What protective coating? Do you wear a tinfoil hat?
>>
>>7349617
>What protective coating

put your finger in your anus . . . is it damp in there?
a chickens anus is similar in that way.
>>
>>7348611
Depends on how much food is in it, and how cold you had it set
The more food you have and the colder the setting the longer it'll last.
>>
>>7349617
http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/09/11/336330502/why-the-u-s-chills-its-eggs-and-most-of-the-world-doesnt

hurr
>>
>>7349470
>I said you can't smell that raw meat will make you sick when you eat it, which is true.
This is true.

>The premise was that you can "smell" that something is hazardous to your health. This is false. Smelling does nothing.
This is false. The only instances where smelling isn't sufficient is with dangerous things like raw meat that you're supposed to cook anyway, or damaged cans that you're supposed to stay away from.

Smelling can tell you an enormous amount of things and you should never underestimate it.

>And just because something smells "off" does not mean it is unsafe to eat, it could be perfectly safe.
Just because you're incompetent doesn't mean you have to stay that way.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.