[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ck/ approved canned clam chowder

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 798525160209.gif (10KB, 164x164px) Image search: [Google]
798525160209.gif
10KB, 164x164px
What is the best canned clam chowder?
I'm about to make a can of Snows/Bumblebee ready to serve, and was looking for insight with what may be better.
>inb4 make your own
Of course that's better, but I need canned as a convenient go to option
Also, I just moved away from Progresso Traditional
I make the following modifications:
>add 1 can of clams for one can of chowder
>add half and half
>add butter
>add thyme
>add pepper
It comes out surprisingly good after making the adjustments. The question is, is there a better canned option out there that I'm not aware of?
>>
>>7338861
>tfw living in Jewland
>tfw clam chowder will never EVER become a thing due to religious dietary rules
>>
>>7338861
The modifications sound good. Do you add salt? What's the DV% on the sodium?
>>
>>7338977
A 150g can of clams has about 800mg. I don't know if draining it removes any salt. The chowder itself already has 2300mg.

I don't know if OP eats the whole thing in one meal.

But I don't recommend adding salt to it.
>>
>>7338861
by the time you're done with your modifications, it wouldn't really be any less convenient or more time consuming to just make it
>>
>>7338991
>>7338977
I don't add additional salt because the canned chowder has around 26% DV and the canned clams add another 15%. Besides the health reasons, it doesn't really need it from a flavor perspective. I also eat it with saltene crackers, and I'm sure that kicks it up a few percent as well.
1 can (after modifications) usually yields dinner for the night, plus a small lunch that I can microwave at work for the next day.
>>
>>7338997
If you keep cream and butter on hand, the rest is shelf stable and can be prepared whenever.

With homemade clam chowder, you need to have all the ingredients. Then you need to prepare the vegetables.

Then, according to this http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/new-england-clam-chowder-104185

10 minutes + 8 minutes + 2 minutes + 5 minutes. That's like half an hour, when you could probably boil a can of soup in five, dump the clams in, and add your seasoning.
>>
>>7339005
>I'll have something mediocre in five minutes because thirty minutes is too long
do you even /ck/?
>>
>>7339009
You assume it's mediocre.
>>
>>7339012
>implying canned soup is ever anything other than mediocre at best
>>
>>7339009
A lot of times, I get home from work late (after midnight) and just want to drink myself into oblivion, then end up hungry while wanting an easy to make meal before I go to bed.
With using canned clam chowder, it takes a lot of the legwork out of what would normally be done, and like I said, you would be surprised at how much better it is by just adding all the mods to the pot
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.