[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people act like a sandwich without a condiment is dry?.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

Why do people act like a sandwich without a condiment is dry?.
>mfw lettuce and tomato are 98-99% water.
>>
>>7337596
fat gives a different kind of moisture compared to water
>>
Who acts like that?
A real sandwich only needs meat and cheese
>>
Most people on /ck/ these days seem to be afraid of tomatoes, and mayo is the complete opposite of wet regardless.
>>
>>7337601

People that can't eat their food without some kind of condiments on it. I can't understand it at all.
>>
File: tmp_8965-1314376107428885620006.jpg (14KB, 310x349px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_8965-1314376107428885620006.jpg
14KB, 310x349px
>>7337600
>fat
>moisture
>>
>>7337623
I'm ok with condiments, just saying they are unnecessary.
Ill usually do some horseradish sauce if i buy roast beef, maybe some grainy mustard with turkey but usually nothing
>>
>>7337630
>you
>pedantic
>>
I always make some kind of spicy mayonnaise. I add a lot of paprika, red pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, ground celery seed, dash of soy or worcester, ground mustard or spicy brown (or if I'm using ham then horseradish) It can all be mixed while my bread is toasting.

Cheese always helps with dryness too. I like pepper jack or smokey provolone
>>
>>7337596
People equate "dry" with "not savory".

Tomato has a decent umami profile, but needs to be a hearty specimen in order to trigger the same flavor profile as cured meats, shellfish, etc.

Most tomatoes and lettuce do not fulfill that umami profile, because they're sad specimens.

Hence why condiments are such a big deal: They're needed to counter bland base ingredients.

If your sandwich is dry with lettuce and tomatoes, you picked shite lettuce and tomatoes.
>>
>>7337630

>Moisture refers to the presence of a liquid, especially water, often in trace amounts.
>>
>>7337692
your sandwich should never need tomato or lettuce, let alone a condiment, just buy quality meat and cheese (and bread)
>>
>>7337694
I don't oily would be considered moist, I think moisture typically is used to refer specifically to liquid water
>>
>>7337695
try putting thin sliced tomatoes on a hot pan for 20-30 sec a side and try it
>>
File: AAAAAHHHH.jpg (14KB, 300x277px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAHHHH.jpg
14KB, 300x277px
>>7337596
WHERE'S THE MUSTARD, YOU RAGING FAGGOT?
>>
>>7337665
my nigga

/thread
>>
>>7337619
>mayo is the complete opposite of wet regardless.
>>
>>7337753
Mayo has eggs, eggs has water, is wet
>>
>>7337708
but I eat my sandwiches at work,
>>
>>7337772

>is wet

Mayo is 95% oil, and any moisture in it has been emulsified with the oil.
>>
>>7337797
i think the word he is looking for is 'lubricate' rather than moisten'
>>
>>7337600
>fat
>mustard
>>
>>7337810

Obviously if you're going to start adding condiments the first one is going to be mayo...
>>
>>7337804
>lubricate
How fat are you? explaining food like its a damn sex act.
>>
Some sandwiches can be dry without a sauce. It just depends on the sandwich. Personally, I feel like the sauce/condiment on some sandwiches are like salt in a soup. You notice if it isn't there. But I don't like it to be in large amounts. There's nothing worse than biting into a sandwich someone else made and finding it sloppy and dripping with mustard, mayonnaise, oil+vinegar, or whatever. You need just enough to tie the flavors of the sandwich together and add that little bit of moistness. No more.
>>
>>7337596

my father used to give me dry ass turkey and white american cheese sandwiches for lunch

i used to hate it now it's all i eat when i make sandwiches

if it's good bread this is never a problem with just meat and cheese
>>
>>7337695
>Confusing need and want

Good meat and cheese will only be enhanced by lightly-fried heart tomato slices in EVOO, with a light home-made mayo, on a toasted ciabatta bun.
>>
>>7337885
tomato has a terrible texture for sandwiches
>>
>>7337831
Not fat at all. I'm a mechanic, so I think in those terms. Things other than dildos require lubrication, you know.
>>
>>7337895
>Hates BLTs

Depends on whether you're making a sandwich for immediate consumption or for eating later in the day.

If it's for immediate consumption, they're fine.

If you're packing a lunch, you pack that shit in a separate container and then put it on fresh from the tupperware, just like you would any wet ingredient for a mostly-dry meal.
>>
>>7337909
Hate is a little strong, but its not a particularly good form of sandwich
Raw tomatoes just have shit tier texture in general, not just for sandwiches
>>
>>7337895

Most people will disagree with you, and there are multiple picky eater threads for you to spout off your inane opinions in.
>>
>>7337917
You might have a point if I hadn't mentioned lightly frying them.

As it stands, you don't.

Nigga, I never said shit about raw tomatoes.
>>
>>7337700

it's about viscosity isn't it. if it flows over your tongue it's going to feel wet or moist or fluid or whatever you wanna call it, semantics aside there's a distinction between the sensation of liquid water and of liquid fat in your mouth and you pretty much want both in a sandwich.
>>
>>7337692
>umami
>>
>>7337895
>tomato has a terrible texture for sandwiches
Terrible tomatoes have a terrible texture for sandwiches. Excellent tomatoes have an excellent texture for sandwiches. Protip: you aren't going to get an excellent tomato from a national grocery store chain. They're reasonably common from gardens, farmstands, and farmers markets.
>>
>>7337937
needing to fry stuff kind of defeats the purpose of having a sandwich
>>
>>7338086
pretty much everyone has had tomatoes that were at least grown in a friend/neighbors garden at some point. People are always pawning off stuff they grow in their gardens. Sure they are a little better, but hardly good enough to merit a spot on a sandwich
>>
>>7338113
No it doesn't.

That's retard logic.

That's like saying "needing to fry bacon defeats the point of a BLT".

What the fuck are you doing on this board in the first place if going three or four minutes out of your way for an objectively better meal is too cumbersome for you?

Should this board go from /ck/ to /chefboyardee/?
>>
>>7338117
It's a sandwich not the fucking hunger games
>>
>>7338217
I make a sandwich because I am gonna bring it to work, or because I don't want to create any dishes. I don't want to do something requiring prep work and dirtying a pan
>>
this just in: anyone who disses on raw tomatoes is a huuuuuuge fucking pleb. that is a vestigial relic of childhood and not a real fucking opinion for a man to have. raw tomatoes are fucking delicious and i could not iimagine having to go without them on sandwiches for the rest of my life, it would be hell on earth.
>>
>>7338232
>he doesn't have cast iron pans
Your pleb is showing
>>
>>7338232

>i'm lazy therefore anybody who wants to go the extra mile is an idiot

literally die in a hole, senpai
>>
>>7338232
>Willing to dirty his cutting board but not a non-stick pan that'll take ten seconds to clean

Bitch, this is /ck/, not /lazyfuck/.

Go grab some pre-sliced bologna and american cheese, slap it on some Wonderbread with Miracle Whip, and get the fuck out of this thread if that's the standard you're setting for yourself.
>>
>>7338266
>Willing to dirty his cutting board but not a non-stick pan
No, I don't want to dirty a cutting board eeither
I am just putting meat and cheese on my sanwiches because I buy good meat and cheese any anything else just distracts from the best part of the sandwich while making a mess
But if you are buying shitty $8/lb meat I guess you might want to load it up with fillers
>>
File: tomato sandwich.jpg (824KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
tomato sandwich.jpg
824KB, 2048x1536px
>tfw eating tomato and mayo sandwiches with nothing other added aside from a little fresh cracked pepper
>>
>>7338279

try adding a little garlic salt to it, mang.. literal 10/10 perfection in the most simplistic form.
>>
>>7338275
The best part of a sandwich is whatever you make it to be.

Again, get the fuck off /ck/ if you think your prep work begins and ends at picking the right meat and cheese from the deli which you overpay for everything at.

Do you even own your own food slicer? Have you ever actually made your own roast beef, or do you think the deli gods at your local conjure it from the ether and the circular blade is a portal between dimensions?

...have... ...have you never made your own bacon?
>>
>>7338294
why would I do any of those things?
>>
>>7337695
>your sandwich should never need cheese, let alone tomato and lettuce, just buy quality meat(and bread)
>your sandwich should never need meat, let alone cheese, just buy quality bread

Your opinion is dumb, a sandwich is all about the combinations of a variety of flavor profiles into one delicious bit. Condiments and vegetables add to that complexity and do nothing but enhance the sandwich
>>
>>7338317
raw tomato and lettuce do not fucking enhance your sandwich, they are filler. Its like adding beans to chili
>>
>>7338329
I love my sandwich's with just meat, lettuce, and tomato. Sometimes a slice of provolone or swiss. Fuck condiments of any kind. Lettuce adds texture, and tomatos are just good as fuck.
>>
>>7338329
They make the sandwich taste even better. I'm sorry you have a shitty tongue that can't handle more than a few flavors.
>>
>>7337619
Tomatoes suck unless they're in season where you are and if they aren't, they're usually mushy watery bullshit
>>
>>7337630
Isn't fat hydrophobic.
>>
>>7337810
mustard and ketchup are usually added to fatty food that doesn't have any other wet ingredients
>>
>>7338803
>wet
>>
File: 1450207328253.jpg (247KB, 1274x791px) Image search: [Google]
1450207328253.jpg
247KB, 1274x791px
>>7337596
my dad eats sandwiches with a ton of mayo on it.
gross as FUCK
>>
>putting disgusting wet shit on your sandwich making it into a soaky disgusting mess
>>
>>7339206
w-what happened here it's making me sad
>>
>>7339244

bulk/cut
>>
>>7339244
shit diet + roids + cancer
>>
>>7339244
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3169401/Tragedy-ex-bodybuilder-39-loses-battle-liver-cancer-blamed-10-000-calorie-day-pizza-energy-drink-diet.html
>>
>>7337692
>Umami
>Hearty
Jesus tittyfucking christ...
>>
>>7337596
Turned into a /fit/ thread, uhh
>>
>>7337932
He's not entirely wrong, though. If you slice tomatoes poorly, or have a shitty knife, tomatoes may have a shitty texture for your sandwich.

Depending on the sandwich, tomatoes should be either thickly or thinly sliced. e.g. thin slices on a Dagwood where you have multiple layers you want to be relatively thin, and thick slices on a caprese where you want as much tomato as mozzarella. In either case, if you're using a shitty knife, you're going to squish the tomato more than slice, and it'll leak out everywhere. I think shitty knives and shitty technique is one reason why a lot of people think tomatoes make sandwiches too soggy.

It also kind of depends on what sort of tomato you're using, as per >>7338086
>>
>mfw not using a bread knife to slice 'tos.
>>
Because my pastrami isn't the same without a tiny bit of mustard. It can't just be lettuce.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.