[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Camping Cooking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hello /ck/. I need your help.

I fully admit I did not know that this board even existed until I looked specifically for one dedicated to cooking/food, etc. Every spring and summer, my friends and I go out camping in the Rocky Mountains and every time for the last 3 years, we have consistently proven we know nothing about food or how to cook it. Keep in mind, we tend to do a lot of bush camping a.k.a. shitting in bushes and drinking really heavily. Most times, someone will bring hotdogs or hamburgers, maybe make some guacamole or stuff like that. Last time we went, all we had was bologna and eggs and I got so sick on the way home that I had to throw away my shirt, socks and my boots.

Can you guys recommend me some good recipes that can be prepared with minimal experience on a basic camping stove with basic kitchen supplies? I know it would be nice to be able to wake up and have a good pot of soup or stew or chilli to help start the day after a night of heavy drinking. Since it's still winter here in Alberta, I have plenty of time to pick up spices and other foodstuffs before we leave, but I desperately need some help so I don't have to suffer through another 3 days in the wilderness with only cold slices of bologna. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pic semi-related.
>>
>>7335855

Thanks for rotating my photo, 4chan.
>>
It'd probably be better to ask /out/, honestly, /ck/ just talks about fast food.

For camping, I do all the prep work at home and just do the final cooking on site. Also, coolers are sketchy. Don't bring foods that spoil easily, I'm betting this is why you got sick. If you need to bring meat, eat it on the first day or freeze it before putting it in the cooler.

If you want homemade soup or chili, just freeze it in ziploc bags/tupperware and reheat in a pot of hot water when you want to eat it. There's powdered soup mixes you can get for camping, but they tend to be really salty.
>>
>>7335855
Get an MSR dragonfly, or maybe a butane stove if your a stupid person. Get some decent camping pots and a nice pan. Get an plastic egg holder.

Bring potatoes, onions, cheese, cans of chilli, mac and cheese, butter, some millk, bread

>hashbrowns in the morning with egg
>grilled cheese for lunch
>sausages and corn for dinner
>>
>>7335855
Just beer. Estimate the amount you would usually drink and double this amount. You do not need a camping stove.
>>
>>7335855
Search Alton Brown steak on coals,

Also just roast potatoes,carrots, etc with butter/salt&seasonings.
>>
Acquire trangia, enjoy cheap bush cooking.

Bring unpeeled root vegetables in a dry, sealable sack. Potaters, carrots, onions, turnips, parsnips, celeriac, fennel, rutabaga mostly. These will be your staples, since they keep at room temp or cooler. Other good raw produce in this regard are garlic, apples, pears, bananas, oranges, and... well, a bundle of others I can't quite remember.

Second, bring plenty of oatmeal. This will be your breakfast staple. All you need with it is salt and water, and furthermore, it combines very well with bananas, apple and any berries you can find in the bush. A little sugar, a little cinnamon, a little honey won't hurt either.

Then coffee and tea. These don't take much space, but bring much joy.

Dry bread like knackebröd or biscuits or whatnot work well at every meal. Dip them in soup or coffee, or slap bacon or tuna on them.

Bacon. Bacon is good, and keeps in cool well. Along with it a great pal is salami, the proper dry kind. Spanish-style dry chorizo is good, and hard enough to club bears with. Heck, take any dry summer sausages you want. Also, dried peas. Bring a few bags of these. They weigh next to nothing, but once soaked overnight and boiled for 3 hours together with bacon, other meats and dried majoram, you'll have a great soup, which then should be seasoned with mustard and salt and served with minced raw onion.

Also, stock cubes. Here's a proper recipe: wash, peel and dice your root vegetables from above, and a length of bacon and any other dry meats you have. Cover with water, dunk in a few stock cubes, boil - from 30 minutes to 3 hours, the longer the better. And voila - soup. Improves with salt, pepper, dry majoram, black peppers, allspice and bay leaves, all dry and lightweight.
>>
>>7336010
Also, one of the easiest things to do in the wild is surprisingly enough, spaghetti sauce. Just needs two kettles, a water source, and the previously mentioned vegetables and meats, and a few cans of tomatoes - which wonderfully keep in room temp. Sautee vegetables and meat, add tomatoes and spices, stew for half an hour, season, cover and set aside, then cook pasta, and finally combine everything on plates with some parmigiano - the stuff from the stone-hard blocks, not the kraft baggy stuff. Original parmigiano keeps on the trail. Heck, roman legionaries carried pecorino for eatin', and that's closely similar.
>>
Sweet potatoes, OP. Grilled eggplant, too. Don't forget your aluminum foil.

To add what that other anon said about oats, I make it as some sort of porridge. When i want a quick soupy porridge, I use it since it's quicker and easier than waiting for my rice to break down.
>>
>>7335855
Top beer OP, good work
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.