[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Someone holds a gun to your head and hands...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 21
Someone holds a gun to your head and hands you an olive garden menu. You must order something to eat or be killed.

>"Welcome to olive garden what would you like to eat today?"

Hard mode:
>"Oh sorry anon! We're all out of soup, salad, and breadsticks!"
>>
I'll take the blow to the head, thanks.
>>
>>7331746
I'll have a beer please, make it something fancy like a Bud Light.
>>
>>7331746
>go to olive garden
>order tendies and fries
>melted plastic in the food
>>
>>7331749
This desu
>>
>>7331746
Can I get a dessert? Those tiny pudding cup things?
>>
>>7331746
>no breadsticks

I take the fucker's gun, shoot him and leave
>>
>>7331746
Is there a kids menu for my wife's kids?

I always take them out when my wife goes out with her boyfriend
>>
3 bottles of moscato it is
>>
Fuck you I take the fried lasagna bites
>>
File: 1451286357287.jpg (8 KB, 373x332) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1451286357287.jpg
8 KB, 373x332
>>
>>7331791
I suppose you're not getting anything for yourself because you need to save room for all the spunk you have to eat out of her later on amirite?
>>
>>7331746
>>"Oh sorry anon! We're all out of soup, salad, and breadsticks!"
I'll eat a bullet, thanks.
>>
>>7331887
>taking the b8

Hi newfriend
>>
probably some dessert

the breadsticks are too salty to me
>>
>>7331746

The first dish I saw that wasn't soup or salad or breadsticks
>>
Fettuccine chicken Alfredo please. Throw a whole mess of fresh grated Romano cheese on top too.
>>
>>7331750

You think you're better than everyone else because you drink bud light?


Coors lite master race
>>
>>7331746
Taste of italy platter, please.
>>
>>7331746
I've eaten at places worse than the Olive Garden. I'm sure I could choke down a plate of the braised beef and tortelloni with a glass of shitty red wine. I wouldn't take any pleasure in it, but would hardly consider it worse than death.
>>
steak medallions over spinach fettuccine alfredo.

It's perfectly edible, if nothing spectacular.
>>
Chicken Marsala stuffed or not and Chicken+Shrimp Carbonara are the GOAT OG dishes. Go twice a month.
>>
>>7332146
Casual here:

Their tortellini is is the worst. Only time I ever walked out of a restaurant was due to that shit. It is so basic yet they fucked it up.

I'd go with >>7331916
>>
File: 1327870676704.jpg (92 KB, 217x223) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1327870676704.jpg
92 KB, 217x223
>>7331746

>OP: You have the to eat some thing from a "High End" restaurant chain OR YOU DIE!
>/ck/ poster: Well I eat the fucking bullet because I'm too hardcore to let mediocre food pace through these lips.
>Repeat this response a few times
>Thread dies

Why did you create this thread op?

I mean fuck just get the pizza if you really hate their pasta so much. I guarantee you most of the fucks on this board have had worse pizza by choice. Im Im not even saying their pizza is great either.
>>
had to go look at their menu as I haven't been there since probably elementary school

I guess shrimp scampi would be pretty hard to fuck up, right? everything looks like it either has heavy cream or is deep-fried...
>>
>>7331746
>Someone holds a gun to your head and hands you an olive garden menu. You must order something to eat or be killed.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.
>>
>>7331746
Was he right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXDBXm1w0UM
>>
>>7332167
I would expect everything on their menu is fucked up. (I've only eaten there once and it was as bad as I'd expected). But like I said, I've eaten at worse places: TGIFridays, Ruby Tuesdays. It's not that this kind of food is totally inedible. It's just bad and very expensive given how bad is it.
>>
>>7331746
Depends on who's paying. If it's me I'll take the cheapest item on the menu, if it's the guy with the gun I'll take the most expensive thing.
>>
>>7332220
>dude puts a gun to your head and offers to pay your meal OR DIE
>>
>>7332177
Idk man, I ordered lasagna there once thinking it would be okay because even frozen lasagna is half way decent. It was somehow worse than frozen lasagna, hardly any flavor.
>>
File: image.jpg (85 KB, 590x365) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
85 KB, 590x365
Not ordering the chicken fingers & pasta from the kid's menu like a normal person. What a bunch of faggots.
>>
>>7332396 (You)
Forgot your meme arrow
>
>>
>>7331746
Steak Gorgonzola Alfredo please. Medium rare on the steak medallions.

Fucking Olive Garden haters. Get over yourselves.
>>
>>7332463
Do they just have a button for each steak temp on their microwaves? How are they cooking steak there?
>>
olive garden isnt that bad. My girlfriend likes to eat there. I dont think the food is horrible it just costs a lot more than it should. Usually when she says she wants to go to olive garden i can convince her to let me take her somewhere else. However to her family, Olive Garden is a "fancy" place to eat on special occasions

unrelated food pleb story
>Taking girlfriend out to breakfast
>going to french bakery/breakfast/lunch restaurant that we like
>invite her mom to come with us
>"are you guys going to ihop?"
>no we're going to A Delight of France
>"oh... we should go to ihop instead, it'll be cheaper"
>its not cheaper, and we really like the food there
>"What if i don't like it, ive never had that kind of food before"
>tell her that they basically just sell pastries, crepes, and omelets and that she'll like it
>"no thats okay, ill just go with anon to denny's. Its her favorite breakfast restaurant and it'll be a lot cheaper"

i had already offered to pay for her, only reason she kept saying that is because she knows i dont like to spend money and wanted me to take her to ihop.

Some people are really hypocritical about trying new things. They're mexican, and when i first met them they wanted me to try all these mexican dishes (which i did happily of course because mostly they are great). But they wont even come to a restaurant with me even if im paying.
>>
>>7332516
A lot of people like consistency and restaurants they can rely on. Those restaurants will consistently put out mediocre food and people who don't know any better keep going. They are afraid of having a horrible meal or trying something new and they don't know how to find decent restaurants. It's pretty annoying and common among the flyover tourists that visit where I live.
>>
>>7332463
I have a deep hate for the Olive Garden simply over the price of the food. For just a little more I could go someplace where the food is actually good. But paying their prices for food that's on the level of a frozen microwavable dinner galls the fuck out of me. I don't eat that kind of trash at home, so there's no way I'm paying a premium to eat it when I go out.
>>
I've only ever been to Olive Garden twice. The first time I got Veal Manicotti and it was clearly a frozen product that had been microwaved. It was still cold in the center.

Both times we specifically ordered whatever all-you-can-eat breadsticks thing they have cuz we all like breadsticks. Both times, after ordering it and receiving a single basket of breadsticks we were told that they were all out of breadsticks. No discounts given.

Not sure how that place stays in business.
>>
>>7332516
My MiL lives in Wisconsin, and she's even worse. There are all kinds of foods she doesn't even want to try - basically anything she considers "different". Even familiar foods will put her off if they have a hint of spice or acid.

She was very upset when the Baker's Square restaurant near her closed because that meant there was "nowhere left" where she could co out to eat. All of the remaining hundred or so restaurants in her town were too unfamiliar for her to risk.

From what I can tell the woman lives entirely on whole wheat bread, peanut butter, apples, microwave mac and cheese and frozen fudge bars.
>>
>>7331746

I could totally go for a stuffed chicken marsala right now. Been wanting it for a while. The smoked cheese fonduta is real nice too. Barring that, I could always dig into some tiramasu.

>B-but you can't eat at Olive Garden, this is /ck/

Go fuck yourselves.
>>
Probably just something from their appetizers, like fried mushrooms or something.
>>
>>7332445
> (you)
gud 1
>>
>>7332562
Not sure why you replied to me
>>
>>7332494
They grill the steak. Source: I worked there
>>
>>7332776
You suggested that Olive Garden haters should get over themselves. I was saying I feel completely justified in hating them purely because they charge almost the prices of a good restaurant for food on the level of reheated convenience food. To me that is some hateful shit.
>>
>>7331746
If anyone here works legitimately rather kill themselves than eat mediocre Italian, you probably are better of dead
>>
>>7332516
>>7332627
Dated a girl like this once. Picking a place to eat at was always pure torture.

Chinese?
>Nah, too much flavor
That new Greek place?
>Uh...do you think they have hamburgers?
Sushi?
>I can't eat raw fish!

It was either we go to a hamburger place or she'd order grilled cheese off the kids menu. Dating a picky eater, never again.
>>
>>7332516
>>7332532
>>7332627
Some people just really love mediocre food. I take my parents out to dinner from time to time, usually to celebrate a b-day or some other event in life. My parents eat almost everything, I take them to try food from all over the world, I've taken them to some pretty expensive restaurants and I've taken them to "greasy spoon" type places that do a really good job with breakfast.

When I ask my mom where they went to dinner when I phone them on a weekend she almost always says a chain restaurant of some sort that does very mediocre food. When they were going to Hawaii I told them about trying things like Poke or Lau Lau. They both like sushi and my dad loves any sort of roasted/bbq meat. For the week they were there they ate 4 times at the Cheesecake Factory and a few times at IHOP. When they went to Vegas I was telling them about which places I really liked there but they only ended up eating at buffets and Subway.

I stopped bothering with suggestions, I genuinely believe they just like mediocre food.
>>
i've never been there

is it terrible or just basic?

what if i just got spagetti and tomato sauce.. al dente? how bad could it be?
>>
>>7332956
For the longest time, they didn't even put salt their pasta water, to save money. I think they just started doing that recently because of complaints.
>>
>>7332948
>Some people just really love mediocre food.
I can believe this. My parents are similar. They've eaten plenty of really good food during their lives, and mom cooks well enough. But she grew up poor, so she's always looking at the prices on the menu. Basically she's happy to eat a meal out that's substantially below the standards of her own cooking as long as it's not "too expensive". And pretty much any place likely to serve something better than what she could cook herself would be too expensive by her standards.

So to my parents going out to eat means eating mediocre food. Not because they don't appreciate good food, but because they're unwilling to pay more for it.

It could be a getting older and not giving a fuck thing. Because my dad who traveled around the world eating at great places on a pretty lavish corporate expense account and even hung out with Bocuse back in the day is now quite happy to take mom to the Olive Garden.
>>
>>7331818

Seconded, their lasagna fritta is good if you don't give a shit about calories.

They're also pretty easy to make at home.
>>
>>7332776
Not even him, but you were whining about
>Olive Garden haters
When a lot [anybody with decent taste/reason] hate that pigfuck disgusting place.

It's dog shit, dude. It's cool if you like it, but you gotta understand other people, like us fucking loathe its existence. I don't shop at Walmart and I don't feed myself fucking Olive Garden...

>not sure why you responded to me
K thx bye
>>
>>7333489

Hey, at least it's not as bad as Hometown Buffet or Golden Corral.
>>
My first time visiting America and the first place I eat at someone is holding a fucking gun to my head?
Should've listened to mum and went to Japan instead.
>>
>>7333501
Or Denny's or Waffle House. But we're splitting hairs between bad and truly awful.
>>
Cant be fucked converting this to normal portions but here goes

Alfredo (2gal)
2.5Lbs butter
2.5 tbsp minced garlic
10 oz white sauce base (powdered not liquid)
1.25 tsp salt
1 tbsp + 1/4 tsp pepper
5 qts heavy cream
20 fl oz milk
2 lbs parmesan

Melt butter salt pepper and garlic together, add base stir to thicken. Add heavy cream and milk and heat until 185° and add parmesan.

Source: working at that shithole for 5 years
>>
>>7333489
I guess I was just taken aback by the idea of people not only having so much hate for a place that they're not being forced to eat at, but going out of their way to actively express that hate when they know my mind or anybody's mind in this thread will change after reading their opinion.

So again, get over yourselves.
>>
>>7334039
This Anon said it very well >>7332948

Some folks consider mediocre food OK. Others see it as hateful. There's room for both opinions.
>>
Lasagna

I actually like it
>>
>>7334108
I'm not sure why you replied to me
>>
>>7331746
We don't have maniacs with guns or terrible restaurants here because I am not an ignorant American
>>
chicken tendies off the kids menu..
and breadsticks
>>
Why do people hate on Olive Garden? It's not authentic Italian, but there are worse chains out there. Hell, Olive Garden is kinda the nicest restaurant in my town. Always booked up and crowded.
>>
>>7334306
Just because there are worse chains out there doesn't make it taste any better. The food is still shit
>>
>>7334306
>Olive Garden is kinda the nicest restaurant in my town
Then your opinion about restaurants is terrible, through no fault of your own.
>>
>tfw server at Olive Garden
>>
>>7331746
steak gorgonzola alfredo
or the tour of italy

idk why this place gets so much shit. they are decent for the price
>>
>>7334176
Where are you from then?
>>
>>7334306
It's one of those things where you enjoy something because you don't realize there's something better out there. I live in a city with few Mexican options, and the options we have here while decent are nothing compared to what I ate when I went to Mexico. I traveled around the country for a few weeks and now dream of eating the amazing food I had there because nothing here is even remotely as good.

It's kinda like that with Olive Garden, if you haven't had anything better you'll enjoy it. I'm sure there are restaurants I go to that serve mediocre food compared to what's great out there but I don't know any better. I think a lot of hate here is due to it just being a chain. If a one off restaurant served the exact same food and said their chef was born in Sicily they could not only charge twice as much but also say it was "autentico italiano" or some bullshit and people would believe it.

Ultimately most food out there even from mediocre places is pretty damn tasty. If a food is disgusting it's likely a type of regional or cultural preference that we don't understand and is likely not served in restaurants to the general public.
>>
Lasagna Fritas

only thing i'll eat there, but i never go anymore after my ex stopped working there.
>>
>>7335378
people like to be snobs without reason, its how they validate themselves without actually having to do anything of merit.

why be accomplished when you can simply look down on the actions and choices of others?
>>
Shrimp Alfredo.
>>
>>7335614
>you enjoy something because you don't realize there's something better out there.
This I can believe. People tend to line up to eat at chain restaurants in places where there are few other options. And Olive Garden tends to be popular in places where little if any of the population is of Italian American heritage.

If you don't know Italian or Italian American food, pretty much only eat at chain restaurants and get your groceries from Walmart Olive Garden probably tastes pretty good to you. Because you can't really be critical of something if you have no reference points for it.

There's also a cultural aspect to it. In places where there are few reference points for better food being concerned about the quality of the food you're eating is seen as pretentious, fussy or being a killjoy. People actually get defensive about their favorite chain restaurants because that's all they know, and the suggestion that it might not be as good as they think it is implies they have shit taste. And saying anything with that kind of implication would be considered rude.
>>
File: 1245366902324.jpg (9 KB, 254x321) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1245366902324.jpg
9 KB, 254x321
The first time my parents came to visit me in Denver, I had always expressed how much variety of good food is available. They voluntarily drove us around, so I said I'd pay for lunch. I suggest a couple of international foods, like Shawarma, maybe Yak&Yeti (Nepalese), Ethiopian, also a Brazilian place with amazing mixed ungulate stew (haven't confirmed, but might be tapir and pork? definitely not a venison-type).

So what do they say? "Taco Bell sound okay?" After I say I won't eat anything there, I suggest a local favorite burger joint, much more detailed and have exotic meats compared to any place they've visited in Texas/hometown. We end up at KFC because it's close by. No shit.

The next evening, we're looking to eat out again because I didn't feel like cooking another sweet dinner after the previous night (rosemary & lemongrass lamb chops yo). They suggested the Popeye's across the street from my neighborhood entrance. I took them to a local pizza hangout instead. They really loved the food, and I was so glad they got to at least eat one good local thing that wasn't home-cooked by me. But pizza? Come on guys...
>>
>>7334039
Lern too rite & get over Yourself. Having an objection/opinion about something [anything] is a fundamental human right. Companies like McDonald's; Walmart; Olive Garden... suck dick. I don't need to get over myself, I just need to not visit your shitty restaurants of choice if I don't want shit food...

>& you judge me because I think I'm 2 good 4 olive gardn

>& I judge you because you eat dog shit
>>
>>7331746
>Hard mode:
I'll have the portabello ravioli
>>
>>7335695
Why be accomplished when you can be an actual piece of shit and eat at Olive Garden?
>>
>>7335872
I'm not sure why you replied to me
>>
>>7335769

maybe next time don't pussyfoot around. they're at your home in your city; why are you asking them what they want when you know they're going to choose safe/shitty places?

> "anon, what do you want to do for dinner"
> "i'm going to take you to a brazilian place I really like that has hipster stew"
> "ooooh I don't know anon that seems a little out of my comfort zone"
> "well, we can do that, or we can stay home and you can gargle these nuts while I blaze up on this sweet legal hasheesh"
> "oh good heavens anon Brazilian it is!"
>>
>>7331746
uh ok you're paying bro?

everything on the menu desu
>>
>>7331750
>>7331947
It's actually funny at how behind in the times they are. The last time I went there all they had was cheap shitty beer and cheap shitty wine. I don't need to mention the food for obvious reasons, but living in the midwest means all the boomers and trash flock to OG. I don't get it. There are cheaper, better options springing up literally next door to the place, but it's still packed every night
>>
>>7336305
This is the most teenage thing I've read in a long time
>>
>>7331746
I'll have a bowl of olives, then.
>>
Easy, chicken parm.
>>
>>7332176
Og is not a high end chain.
Ruth's Chris steakhouse, or Fleming's are high end chains

Olive garden is prole
>>
>>7331746
>Someone holds a gun to your head and hands you an olive garden menu. You must order something to eat or be killed.
Appetizer menu is the only good menu. The rest of the entrees are warmed over frozen food, or the equivalent of jarred sauces.

The fussiness of the fried, breaded or otherwise never-make-at-home appetizers could be a fun time with some alcohol.
>>
File: minigunpepe.jpg (109 KB, 901x883) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
minigunpepe.jpg
109 KB, 901x883
>>
Lasagna, I guess.
>>
File: 1442369408363.jpg (59 KB, 453x439) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1442369408363.jpg
59 KB, 453x439
>>7336662
>posts a rant about how his parents "just don't get it!!!"
>gets called out on being a pretentious hipster
>"y-you're a teenager!"
>>
>>7338533
I'm not the guy who wrote the original post but that's cute that you feel the need to defend your immaturity. When you get a little bit older you'll understand.
>>
I live in Canada and I just realized there's a location in a nearby suburb town. I'm not tempted to eat at Olive Garden just to see if it really is bad or if everyone is exaggerating.
>>
>>7331746
Caesar Salad Probs
>>
>>7339582
Oh their not exaggerating, pretty much fast food masqueraded as "fancy"
>>
File: 139717787540.jpg (26 KB, 400x562) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
139717787540.jpg
26 KB, 400x562
>>7331893
>responding to counter-b8
>>
>implying there isn't a red lobster within walking distance of every olive garden
>>
>>7339582
Exaggerating. It's just anons pretending that butter doesn't taste good
>anons auto corrects to snobs
Accurate
>>
>>7332188
The fact he cannot name one thing he ate there and says Olive Garden is so expensive completely ruins anything he has to say. Sorry bud they don't have nuggers and fried or Kraft blue box. I can't even find the humor in the video because he is so disgusting and you know when he hits puberty it's going to be even worse by a lot.
>>
File: ogmenu.jpg (35 KB, 348x348) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ogmenu.jpg
35 KB, 348x348
>Someone holds a gun to your head and hands
>you an olive garden menu.

oh god, what have i become!
>>
>>7339640
>implying red lobster isn't trash
>>
>>7339199
And I'm not the guy who wrote the second post, but it's cute that you got triggered enough to make a second condescending reply to defend your bruised ego.
>>
>>7331791
Holy shit are you an actual cuck?

AHAHAHAHA
>>
>>7339582
>if it really is bad or if everyone is exaggerating.
That's a function of your own baseline expectations. If you think it's fine to go out for the kind of food people who don't really cook buy at the supermarket - heat and eat frozen entrees, pasta with sauce from a jar, canned soup and salad with bottled dressing - then you will see nothing wring with the OG.

If you expect a restaurant to cook your food to order from fresh ingredients the Olive Garden will look like a sick joke.
>>
>>7335718
>People tend to line up to eat at chain restaurants in places where there are few other options

People love to hate on chains out of hand, but love chain hotel brands at the same time. When an establishment is a chain they have to decorate, serve and provide an experience per the parent brand specifications. Soooo, the bathrooms will be handi-friendly, marble, beepers for the lines, comfortable booths, some freebie you can count on whether chips or bread, or refills, servers who trained, managers with customer-is-right training, and certified workers in the kitchen cleaning the glassware in expensive standards. If you have a problem with your immune system you don't care as much if it isn't homemade, just that it was heated up to a safe temperature, and your plate and glassware was sanitized with bleach or high heat. It's what people know. It might even feel special occasion-y and a treat to dine out on food that is sub par but served to you in the atmosphere. There might be hugely delicious takeout in town, but it's not across from the day's activity of the interstate drive or the mall or other tourist area, and it'll be hit or miss on quality for even that visit.

Stop hating. Yes, I don't like an bagged iceberg salad unless it's a wedge and covered in stilton and bacon. Or too much dressing, yuck. But, I don't mind fried ravioli. A smart person can find something decent at most any chain that isn't worse than homemade. They thought that out in their menu for you. Rarely is it 100% garbage.
>>
>>7335769
Your tastes and your parents tastes differ by generation. Find better restaurants for both of you to be happy. Have menus handy and give a choice if you must. My own parents still wont touch sushi, but the lebanese food owns them. Doubt they'd go to the afghani, even though it's crazy similar and I know my mom would adore the eggplant if she gave it a chance...it's just too ethnic.

Ethiopian food is shit. Let's be real. Anyone would prefer good indian choices, good paki, good american soul food greens, good thai, good malaysian, good anything that uses a spice or herb correctly, or sweetens with fruits rather than sugar. Totally not cravable, you're kidding yourself because it's exotic, the flavor profiles are utterly wrong. Also injera? They have the crappiest bread of all flatbread eating cultures. Might as well be eating uncooked flour paste or rubber. I'll take a kulcha, chapati, pita, crepe, za'atar bread, an Aunt Jemima pancake, anything other than that. Fact.

Here's what your parents hear: want some Hep A? What about some e.coli? Want people who don't wash their hands after wiping their ass to cook for you? What about people with beards and no hair nets? Let's also enjoy some farm animals that are guaranteed not to be fresh and safe, something wrapped and old, transported, frozen for a while, and maybe unsafely slaughtered, or enhanced with some halal curses? No wonder they wanted Taco Bell/Popeyes. They would have enjoyed the best diner in town for a homey meal some hipster enhanced instead.
>>
>>7339696
Try to catch up, newfriend.
>>
Uhh I'll have chicken alfredo I guess.
>>
>>7339703
>It might even feel special occasion-y and a treat to dine out on food that is sub par but served to you in the atmosphere
I think you hit the nail on the head here. These restaurants are not about the food, they're for people for whom the experience of "going out to eat" is a treat. The decor, service and price are calibrated to line up with the expectations of the target market - middle class white suburban families and retirees.

But not all of us are middle class suburbanites or retirees. Many people do not see the romance of going out to eat food that is at best mediocre. There are people who go out to eat at places where the food is the star of the show. And you're not going to find that at a chain that has something for everyone when "everyone" means white middle class suburban people. Because corporate is well aware the people who go out to eat at restaurants that have actual chefs in the kitchen won't be eating there. That kind of food is too fancy and challenging for their crowd.

And that's OK. You can like things I don't, and I can dislike things you do. To me there is no redemption in chain restaurants (or hotels for that matter). What they do ignores the things I consider important because they're focused on something else.
>>
Chicken parm breadstick sandwich. Then look for people ordering carbonara so I can teabag their soup and twirl their pasta with my engorged penis.
>>
>>7339799
Lower middle class, and not exactly white is the actual norm at chains. It's also families, which might include retirees (like mostly like early bird specials), but when you cross generations, and kids are treated or mom is treated not to cooking, it's all about the effort.

Middle class, as its specifically defined pretty much does what it wants and lives abundantly enough to eat out frequently enough to actually be annoyed by an Olive Garden menu. It's the people who eat rice n beans 24/7 who find it exotic and tasty and a treat to get everyone together and do that. Single parents like the shut-the-kids up nature of "we're going out to eat!" but without too much need to please them with an ethnic menu. Lower income loves chains, but I'm not talking about myself. I'm overgeneralizing.

I find a lot of redemption in a restaurant that can and will pile together 5 tables, so you can dine happy hour with a bunch of coworkers, or celebrate grandma's birthday with a song and dance. It's how chains excel with families. I can't name many amazing chef restaurants that can handle parties greater than 5 most of the time, unless in a hotel and actually have a banquet business.
>>
I don't think it's the best place to eat, but the food isn't as bad as you autists make it out to be. For Christ sake, there are about 2 dozen fast-food rate threads on this board at any given time, yet when Olive Garden comes up, there's no shortage of shit on it.
>Give my the grilled chicken alfredo
See? Was that fucking hard? Are you going to get shot in the head because you refuse to eat from Olive Garden?
>>
>>7339828
I get all that. But I don't go out to eat to give mom a break. I go out for the food. And the kind of food designed to give mom a break while not offending fussy kids is not the kind of food I eat if I can avoid it. Because I cook, and I'd rather not pay to go out to eat something that's nowhere nearly as good as what I make at home. If I'm not going to drop the kind of dough required to eat at a place with a proper chef I'm going to be looking for the ethnic place where I can get something tasty and interesting that does not resemble supermarket convenience food.

I don't give a fuck about family restaurants. My family are all decent cooks. Most of the time we get together at each other's houses, and spend a fair bit of time in the kitchen. On really big deals (80th birthdays, 50th anniversaries, weddings) we'll rent a place and suffer through whatever catering they serve. Because in that situation food isn't really the point.

Back when I had young people to take out every now and then (kids are out of the house now) I usually took them out to Chinatown, where we could eat like kings for about Olive Garden prices. But I live in a city. The only time I ever eat at chains is when visiting in-lawn in the suburban Midwest. And I do not find the experience enjoyable. The food ruins it for me.
>>
>>7339842
>chicken alfredo
GREAT example. I'd say this dish is exactly the dividing line between love or hate for the Olive Garden. If you think, "Chicken Alfredo, yummers!" it's the place for you. If you think, "Why the fuck are they putting chicken in Alfredo pasta?" the Olive Garden will be a horror show to you.
>>
File: 1454346510567.jpg (108 KB, 960x720) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1454346510567.jpg
108 KB, 960x720
>>7331916
honestly their fettuccine alfredo is pretty good. I mean, it's still Olive Garden, but it's definitely one of their best dishes and very enjoyable.
>>
File: 1406489714079.jpg (28 KB, 350x371) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1406489714079.jpg
28 KB, 350x371
>>7331746


Bruschetta please.
>>
I've never eaten there except maybe when I was a small child but looking at the menu the fried shrimp scampi thing looks decent.
>>
>>7339892
What's wrong with it? Serious question, I just picked that because it's impossible to fuck up under any circumstances
>>
>>7340179
It's wrong on a number of levels.

First off, chicken and cheese don't go together. You never see it outside of stuff like Buffalo wings in blue cheese sauce or BBQ chicken pizza. Even chicken Cordon Bleu is a novelty dish of recent origin. It's just silly.

Then there's the bigger point that Alfredo pasta does not require the addition of a protein. It has enough if the meal is going to be a plate of pasta, and if it's just going to be the pasta course a protein will come with the next course. The only reason chicken (or god forbid shrimp) would be added to an Alfredo pasta would be to ease the anxiety of a diner who is ordering the pasta as an entree and couldn't conceive of a main dish without visible chunks of animal flesh in it. The protein adds nothing to the dish in terms of flavor, and if anything fucks up the texture of the dish. It's only added because a certain kind of diner expects it. It's fucking with a pretty good dish not to improve it, but to make it less threatening to an unsophisticated customer.

Then there's the matter of ordering chicken breast at all when going out to eat. It's not like ordering roast chicken where some care has gone into cooking the meat. This is chunks of commodity grade chicken breast - about as interesting as tofu - offered an a menu option. Bad enough people buy chicken breast in their supermarkets because they think it's healthy, but is there anyfuckingreason to ever order it when going out to eat? I can't think of one.

That said, chicken Alfredo pasta is not even the worst offender on this front. That title goes to the chicken Caesar salad.
>>
One water. To go.
>>
One Carbonara, extra peas, hold the bacon please.
>>
>>7332948
Try the buffet in the Bellagio.

Thank me later.
>>
>>7331746
spagbol
>>
>>7333891
The fuck is "white sauce base"?
>>
>>7340312
>chicken Caesar salad
Delicious. Jesus, you're pretentious. Get over yourself.
>>
>>7340395
Some sort of shit that shoddy restaurants use as a shortcut.
>>
>>7340312
>chicken and cheese don't go together
You're a fucking pretentious moron, you know that? Chicken and cheese go together very well, provided you use the right kind of cheese. Like parmesean. Ever hear of chicken parmesean? Yeah.

Incidentally, parmesean is the cheese used for caesar salad, and thus, chicken caesar salad is great. You just have shit tastes.
>>
File: 1432916995182.jpg (17 KB, 242x242) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1432916995182.jpg
17 KB, 242x242
>>7340312
>chicken and cheese don't go together

Are you a fucking dumbass?
>>
>>7340442
>Ever hear of chicken parmesean?
Same thing. It's a compromise dish created for Americans who were too squeamish to eat eggplant. Compromise dishes for fussy eaters are rarely the good ones.
>>7340407
I love Caesar salad. I just don't see the reason to add chicken breast to it. Since the 1970's a trend in shit tier American cuisine has been to make dishes "better" by putting more cheese into them. Over the last couple decades the idea of putting chicken breast into everything has become another equally tiresome trend. Especially on things like pizza, pasta and Caesar salads, where it's sitting next to cheese and doing nothing to improve the dish - it's only there to make it seem like more of a meal for those nervous about consuming meals without visible chunks of animal protein.
>>
>>7331746
Lasagna
>>
directions to the nearest Fazoli's
>>
>>7340482
Think about it. Aside from the low end of American cuisine where do you see chicken and cheese together? You don't. Which is why Cordon Bleu stands out. It's pretty much the only example of a chicken and cheese dish that isn't bottom of the barrel American.
>>
File: 486836855.jpg (18 KB, 220x206) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
486836855.jpg
18 KB, 220x206
>>7340518
>>7340312
>ease the anxiety of a diner that couldn't conceive...
>not even the worst offender on this front
>Americans too squeamish to eat eggplant
>has become another equally tiresome trend
>nervous about consuming meals without animal protein

This is the biggest fedora I could find on such short notice, by god you've earned it.
>>
>>7340543
Well fuck, i guess you're actually right. Sorry I had a knee-jerk reaction and called you a dumbass (if your are the same anon). My bad
>>
>>7331746
baked ziti pasta, easy
it's so good desu.
but I want the salad to go with it.
>>
>>7331746
>Someone holds a gun to your head
Impossible. I don't live in the US.
>>
File: 1446513325518.jpg (21 KB, 500x500) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1446513325518.jpg
21 KB, 500x500
>>7340312
>>
>>7333891
Good god that's repulsive.

'Italian-American' food is an abomination.
>>
>>7340312
>a literal Alfredo purist

you can't make this shit up
>>
>>7340594
>fedora
Fair enough, but you are kind of proving my point. The menus at places like OG are worked out by corporate to appeal to a specific demographic, and I don't fall within it. So to me many of the items seem odd and kinda gross - real "why would you do that?' level stuff.
>>7340679
No hard, no foul. I've been called worse. Thanks for at least acknowledging my point.
>>
>>7340731

Boy the real world must be pretty hard for you I imagine.
>>
>>7340737
I'm very happy to stay in my world. I know for a fact I don't like the restaurants in yours.
>>
File: 1313222480015.jpg (117 KB, 800x400) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1313222480015.jpg
117 KB, 800x400
>>7340731
Well you're only point seemed to be "If it doesn't fall in line with classical cuisine then it's objectively bad.". Just letting you know the reason you're catching so much flak is that in every post you sound like a strawman Euro hipster foodie. So much so that I'm starting to think I've been rused.
>>
Chicken Alfredo. I like their noodles.
>>
File: 1438699320573.png (433 KB, 360x408) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1438699320573.png
433 KB, 360x408
>>7331746
>We're all out of soup, salad,
>and breadsticks!

Welp
>>
>>7340790
>Well you're only point seemed to be "If it doesn't fall in line with classical cuisine then it's objectively bad.". Just letting you know the reason you're catching so much flak is that in every post you sound like a strawman Euro hipster foodie. So much so that I'm starting to think I've been rused.
This. It's strange that every item would be weird to a normal person. Poor rendition of some classics, maybe some unnecessarily kicked up notches (in a bad way), or general ingredient substitution that offends someone. but this guy really just sounds silly.
>>
>>7340312
Fair enough explanation.

I just made an avocado-oil grilled spinach wrap with teriyaki marinated chicken, salad mix, Mexican shredded cheese and jalapenos. I thought everything went together well, I'll try moving things around next time to see if I can go without cheese and see how it tastes.
>>
>>7340790
>If it doesn't fall in line with classical cuisine then it's objectively bad
Bullshit. The Caesar salad, Alfredo sauce and the pizza in its modern American form were all created in the 20th Century. They have no classical forms. They're modern, but they're good. Why has adding chicken breast to these dishes become a thing? I didn't come from fine dining. It didn't bubble up from home cooking. It came from corporate research determining menus to cater to middlebrow taste. And to me that's the most hateful food in America. It's food that's dumbed down just because corporate thinks you're that dumb.
>>
shared a pizza with a friend there once

pretty not bad
>>
File: 1442213012750.gif (1 MB, 280x210) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1442213012750.gif
1 MB, 280x210
>>7341019
Man you're all over the place. Go drum up support for your slacktivist crusade against middle-class dining somewhere else, I don't think you'll find it here.
>>
>>7331746
tendies and fries
Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 21
Thread DB ID: 486009



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.