[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Legumes general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: butter-beans.jpg (60KB, 445x210px) Image search: [Google]
butter-beans.jpg
60KB, 445x210px
ITT we discuss beans
>cheap
>filling
>incredibly nutritious
>incredibly delicious
>convenient (can be eaten out the can with a spoon)
>versatile

Why do I never see much love for butter beans? They're my favourite bean. I love to mash them up with salt and tonnes of pepper. Chickpeas come second, and all the rest are drawn for third place
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (237KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
237KB, 800x600px
These are in fucking everything, even chilli. Want to know why? It's because they're fucking GOAT
>>
Navy beans are underrated. Cook them up with a ham hock and fire roasted tomatoes, niggers.
>>
>>7327354

>convenient (can be eaten out the can with a spoon)

If you can wait that long. Just poke the top layer in, give em a quick rinse, and eat. Black beans and red kidney beans are king.
>>
I love beans and lentils and all kinds of other legumes!

My staple are split, red lentils. Tasty, cheap (if bought at the indian supermarket, the normal ones here have only tiny sized packets of organic stuff for 4 times the price) and fast to cook.

Beans require too much planning (like, I have to decide what I cook at least 24h in advance? Not going to happen everyday), if you want something better and more "exotic" than the stuff sold in cans.

And I love chick peas, but those fuckers take forever to soak and cook. 24h is not enough for them.

Recently, I just started to do some pseudo-indian daals every few weeks. Just cook up some lentils with all kinds of spices for an hour. Add in some chopped onions and garlic sauteed with spices. Add a heaping tablespoon of salt. Get delicious mush with lots of protein, and probably not too many bad health effects.
>>
>>7327628
What do you mean by 'exotic' beans? They're all very common can can be easily found canned
>>
>>7327354
Don't forget the fact they literally make chili into the food we know and love!
Thanks Staggs :)
>>
>>7327655
>They're all very common
Nope. the common ones are common canned, but the uncommon ones are not really common to find canned.

for example faba beans are hard to find canned here, or a very local speciality, the 'Käferbohne' and quite a few others.

And then there is the whole indian stuff, most of which is simply not sold canned.
>>
>>7327677
I've never struggled to find faba beans. Maybe you can't find them because most people call them broad beans. Arab/paki shops have them canned as 'ful medames'

I've never heard of the other ones, but googling it points me to runner beans, which are incredibly common
>>
Cannelini beans are pretty pro-tier, especially if you make it into a white bean dip.
>>
>>7327845
Agreed. They're pretty boring though.
Cannelini, haricot and kidney beans are like the most generic beans
>>
i can my own

cheap as fuck - lightweight - more varieties - i don't over saturate the salt

it's basically all win
>>
is there any way to speed up cooking beans other than buying them canned? even after soaking overnight they still take an hour to soften (on lowest heat).

also peanuts are pretty great. 200g is a thousand calories 40g protein and so cheap nobody can complain. i like frying them a bit with onions, some garlic, and celery. then i take whatever greens i have and make a salad. cook a couple runny eggs and brown rice and you've got a pretty decent breakfast.
>>
>>7327983
are there actually people on this earth who don't know what the quick soak method is, or a pressure cooker?

please note, although these do speed up the cooking time, overnight soak and cooking at atmospheric pressure produces a superior result
>>
>>7327983
pressure cooker. mine are soaked at room temp for 12 hours, then cooked for only 8 min.
>>
>>7327983
>peanuts
I know they're technically legumes but you know they don't count here. Are cucumbers your favourite fruit?
>>
>>7327999
i thought quick soaks weren't as good as overnight ones. and they still take an hour to soak and then some more for cooking

>>7328000
no monies for pressure cooker.
>>
File: nuts.jpg (91KB, 514x805px) Image search: [Google]
nuts.jpg
91KB, 514x805px
>>7328076
but i like peanuts.
>>
>>7328087
What website is this?
>>
>>7328106
calorieking
>>
>>7328111
>checked
thanx!
>>
File: IDShot_540x540.jpg (45KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
IDShot_540x540.jpg
45KB, 540x540px
>>7328087
Everyone who isn't allergic to peanuts loves them
I like them roasted and unsalted firstly, then these fuckers second. I'm also a huge fan of cracker peanuts but it's junk food at that point
>>
>>7328087
>>7328151
Another thing. I've found that to make the best peanut butter of all time you roast some redskin peanuts for a little longer than usual then immediately blend them with the skins on
>>
Chickpeas are my favorite because of how versatile they are. They can be used in curries, ground to make falafel/hummus. Split chickpeas (chana dal) are also good to make curry and masala vada. Chickpea flour is also really good for making high protein vegan pancakes.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.