[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

London food suggestions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: 1453859550377.jpg (209KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1453859550377.jpg
209KB, 1000x750px
Dear reader,
in the following week or so i'll be spending just about 24 hours in London. I've been wondering if anyone could point me towards some solid food options, preferably on a rather 'street' budget, I'm not looking for restaurants per se, more something into the direction of street food.
Bonus points if its rather close to the 'waiting room', 175 Stoke Newington High St as that's where I'm generally headed.
>>
>>7325601
It's an enormous city. Where, exactly will you be? There isn't much 'street food' like NYC or whatever, but plenty of pizzerias, donar kebab places and pubs which serve cheap food. Literally fucking everywhere, it's all the same.
>>
>>7325635
He said pretty much exactly where he'd be in the OP. I looked it up and it looks like it's not really 'London' London and that very street has quite a few restaurants, cafés, and chippies around (but I didn't see any markets closeby).
>>
The Blue Legume just around the corner does a fair eggs benedict, though you'll probably have to wait a bit on a weekend and they do that fucking thing with the two chives crossed on top.

Testi down the road is a Turkish grill place where you can indeed get testi.

If you walk an hour South or go a few stops on the Overground, you'll end up in Shoreditch. There are a lot more lunch places for office workers there, including B.L.T. Deli ("Big Loaded and Tasty"), which does burritos the size of your head for a fiver. My favourite is the Sunday Roast, which has roast pork, crackling, roast potatoes, vegetables in cheese sauce, and apple sauce.

There are a bunch of food truck places along Shoreditch high street, but they're mostly closed until the weather warms up, and their prices are ridiculous anyway. Unless you're really into the idea of huddling around burning barrels for £5 beers, you'd be better off finding a small restaurant closer by.
>>
I wont exactly be there, that's just the targeted area for the night, before that I'm rather free to go wherever I want or feel like going to
>>
File: ukranian wrap.jpg (96KB, 590x590px) Image search: [Google]
ukranian wrap.jpg
96KB, 590x590px
Hey, I found a picture of a BLT wrap. It's not as big as I remember, but still. This one I think has a chicken kiev in it.

I can't really think of anywhere with actual cheap street food in London, anything like that has been co-opted by hipsters and jacked up in price accordingly.
>>
>>7325737
>>7325714

thanks for the recommendations, going to Shoreditch sounds really solid as it seems like I'll be able to catch a train back to the airport from there for relatively cheap moneys
>>
Get a salt beef bagel at Beigel Bake in Brick Lane. £4.50, I think. Other fillimgs are cheaper tho.

Also, one of the best doner kebaps I had in London was at a Turkish place on Stoke Newington High Street, so if you're into Turkish food you're definitely in a good spot.

Borough Market, under London Bridge, is worth a visit. Also cruise around Brixton if you want to try some good Jamaican food. And drink a ting.
>>
>>7325601
is... is this a painting of that shitty anchovy pizza meme?
>>
>>7326020
Thanks, ill be sure to check it out
>>
Dishoom is a pretty cool place. Irani-Indian food.
>>
>>7327433
If you're going to Brick Lane just get a curry.
Borough Market is a good place to wander around and steal the free samples but everything there is hideously overpriced.
>>
>>7327556
I think the food prices are all right there actually but maybe that's because I live in central London so I'm used to it. But you can get a decent meal for £7. There's also an Egyptian stall there that do a medium sized koshari for maybe £4.50. Their small is enough to fill me up at £3.50 but that's if you have a small appetite.

>>7326078
Wow, did not notice that.
>>
>>7327556
I'd caution against Brick Lane these days unless you can get a specific recommendation. Most of the places are pumping out naff curry and getting people in by hassling them in the street with offers that mysteriously get forgotten when the bill arrives.
>>
umut 2000
>>
BRICK

LANE

BAGEL

then while you're at it climb on the parking meter to get over the railway bridge and sit by the side of the tracks listening to the hum of the power lines
>>
Whatever you do, avoid chains like Pizza Hut or Angus Steakhouse.

Supermarkets have a decent variety of sandwiches and the Asian hold in the wall joints were great.
>>
>>7331551

> avoid chains like Pizza Hut or Angus Steakhouse.
>Supermarkets have a decent variety of sandwiches
>>
The Turkish across the road from the Waiting Room / 3 Crowns (Bos Cirrik 2) is one of the best in the area. Their meat is awesome and so are the free salads. Go hungry. Testi is pretty good too, as above.

Go get a Guinness or three at the Auld Shillelagh. Great little box car of an Irish pub up Church Street about 2 minutes from where you are.

Avoid the Indian food around Stokey - it's shit. So is Brick Lane. If you want a curry around Shoreditch go to Tayyabs on Fieldgate Street behind Brick Lane. Get the lamb chops for sure.

Delhi Grill on Chapel Market in Angel is boss too if you want a curry alternative to E1 and has a number of more street foody type options. Dishoom is also good.

Oh, there's a place called Chick n Sours down in Dalston that does amazing fried chicken and cheapish not bad cocktails.
>>
How much does a pizza cost in London from a place like dominos or pizza hut?
>>
>>7331552
You got a problem with that?

Chain restaurants in London suck balls but the supermarkets have nice sandwiches.

The English seem to like their sandwiches, it's almost like they invented the damn thing.
>>
>>7331858

i'm genuinely shocked by how culturally impoverished you must be to think that 'don't go to pizza hut but try the hoisin duck wrap from tesco if you want to experience london's food scene' is useful advice
>>
>>7331867
Sorry, my mistake, i didn't consider OP is only there for 24 hours.

When i was there, we ate some delicious sandwiches during the day and went to some nice restaurants for dinner.
It was a gastronomically and economicaly sound decision.
>>
>>7331880

so why didn't you mention the fucking restaurants instead of your salmon and prawn sainsburys sarnie? of course if he literally can't find anything else he might consider buying a sandwich from a supermarket, that is their function.
>>
Greggs.

Allow the pride of the North save your wallet and stomach.
>>
>>7331900

Because OP said he was on a tight budget and didn't want restaurants. Did you not even read the thread?
>>
>>7331920

yes because when i'm asked for 'local street food recommendations' i think a triple blt from the reduced section and a twix
>>
>>7331927

"Solid food recommendation on a street budget" sounds like supermarket food to me.
>>
>>7331931

well sure if you ignore the 'local street food' part and generalise the 'london' part to 'the whole of england and actually most of the developed world'
>>
>>7331949

1) the "local street food part" was an example, not the actual question asked. the question asked was "solid food recommendation on a budget".

2) Given that he specifically said no restaurants, why would anon's restaurant experience be relevant at all? You asked why anon didn't describe his restaurant experience. Answer? Because OP said no restaurants. Anon's restaurant experience was clearly irrelevant to the thread. The supermarket food was at least somewhat relevant.

That's why.
>>
>>7331957

he didn't explicitly say no restaurants, he said 'per se', do you know what that means? he wants affordable local food. he doesn't want tesco finest egg and cress.
>>
>>7331607
About £15 for a medium.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.