[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good way of making coffee for occasional coffee drinker who normally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 14

File: bialetti.jpg (72KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bialetti.jpg
72KB, 1000x1000px
Good way of making coffee for occasional coffee drinker who normally drinks instant? Should I get one of these?
>>
French press makes better coffee and is easier to use/clean.
>>
>>7319961
>>7319977

French Press is best. Smooth, easy, and you don't loose the oils from that hipster cold brewing thing that everyone raves about on here.
>>
>>7319977
Second, even a cheap ass one is great, spent fifteen bucks on one and it treats me well, lets you control the entire process
>>
i'm also in the french press club but i drink coffee everyday and go snaky without it.. moka pot is great for occasional drinkers.. just don't let it go dry
>>
>>7319961
moka pot is too finicky
it has a lot of variables with lots of things that will go wrong the first few times and takes practice

french press is piss easy in comparison
add grounds, pour water, wait 3 minutes, press down

couldn't be easier, and it allows you to experiment, but there's no way to fuck it up.
>>
>>7320104

>3 minutes

4 minutes is the way to do it, anon.
>>
>>7320108
literally one minute or less is best you fucking plebs
it's not tea
>>
I stir it for one whole minute, then let it sit for four more before pressing.
>>
Just buy a used espresso machine, a used grinder and an air popper. Once you've roasted and ground your own beans you'll never go back.
>>
File: cafetiere-chambord.jpg (16KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
cafetiere-chambord.jpg
16KB, 400x400px
COFFEE.
>>
File: minipresso.jpg (56KB, 1200x628px) Image search: [Google]
minipresso.jpg
56KB, 1200x628px
I was a moka guy before being offered pic related.

It does one cup at a time but it's such a great coffee I'm now satisfied with one or two cups a day.
>>
>>7320741
this seem silly and unnecessary
>>
>>7319961
Contrary to what everyone else seems to be saying, I think moka pots are easier to clean than French presses, and not very difficult to use.

>pre-boil water in kettle
>fill bottom chamber with hot water up to pressure valve
>fill filter basket with coarse grind, don't tamp
>put filter basket into bottom chamber
>screw on top chamber
>put on stove on low
>pour yaself a cuppa

Cleaning is just unscrew halves, dump grounds, rinse pieces. I'd recommend a stainless one, the aluminum ones can get pitting and corrosion releasing god knows what into the water.
>>
Keurig
>>
>>7321265

>keurig
Keurig
>>
Just boil some watter with coffee grounds in it then wait for them to sink to the bottom.
>>
>>7319961
I have two of the damn things despite being an occasional coffee drinker myself. in my experience he 3 cup versions are moody if you're new to using one like I was and require trial and error. bigger versions are a lot more forgiving, again in my experience. after that, it's really up to you to use good coffee to suit your taste.

on a side note, it's strong and may or may not require extra water to thin it out to taste after brewing for a kind of janky ghetto ass moka pot americano
>>
I just got a french press for my birthday. How do I use it to get excellent tasty coffee? I don't have a grinder yet :-(
>>
>>7319961
These things are perfect for a cheeky cup of tea
>>
>>7319977
French press is totally different than from a moka pot
To say it's better is just wrong
>>
>>7321217
A finer grind is definitally better than coarse for a moka pot
Somewhere between espresso and drip
>>
Buy an aeropress. It looks like infomercial garbage, but it's one of the best pieces of coffee kit I've ever owned. All the convenience and ease of a one-cup french press, but a hundred times easier and quicker to clean.
>>
>>7321399

1) Buy some decent beans and get a burr grinder (manual or otherwise)

2) Grind beans

3) Put beans in french press

4) Put hot water in french press

5) Wait several minutes

6) Press down

7) Pour
>>
File: Cafe di Ragheadi.jpg (98KB, 2000x2317px) Image search: [Google]
Cafe di Ragheadi.jpg
98KB, 2000x2317px
>>7319961

The moka pot makes a strong ass cup of coffee that most people won't enjoy if they grew up on drip brewed coffee.

The end product is as strong, or stronger, than an espresso, but with a thinner body, and that combination doesn't sit well with most "normal" coffee drinkers.

You're probably better off with a french press, or a simple normal drip brewed machine.

Another option you can try is going with the Arab approach to brewing coffee. Simple process that gives you an end product with more body than drip or a moka brew, but without all the sharp flavor of the moka or a proper espresso.
>>
>>7321627

It sounds like you're trying to say that a moka pot is more manly and refined.

I've had the same coffees brewed in both a moka pot and a French press plenty of times and the French press almost always brings out more complex flavors.
>>
File: ,.,.jpg (3KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
,.,.jpg
3KB, 125x125px
>>7321648
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 329x474px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 329x474px
>>7319977
>Flavourless mass-produced water
>Better than rich God-tier coffee

Come on now Anon.
>>
>>7319961
I'd go french press first. It's easier to make good coffee with it. Moka pot is great too but it's finicky and the coffee it makes might be too dense for you. You should ideally get both. If you do get a moka pot look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpyBYuu-wJI

>>7319977
I use both trinkets often. If I had to pick one over the other I'd pick the french press, but one really isn't better than the other--just different.

I'd say the moka pot is harder to use because of how easy it is to over-extract/burn your coffee, but it's wayyyy easier to clean than a french press. You have to undo the plunger and clean each part every time you brew.
>>
>>7322211

>you have to undo the plunger and clean each part every time you brew

You can easily get away with just rinsing off/out the plunger and container if you don't let it sit.
>>
>>7322211
>I'd say the moka pot is harder to use because of how easy it is to over-extract/burn your coffee
This is a very easy problem to avoid. Just preboil your water.
>>
>Good way of making coffee for occasional coffee drinker who normally drinks instant?

Are you looking to quit the instant? If not, I'd recommend just buying from a local café for the occasional quality cup.
>>
>>7320261
>steeping your tea for longer than 15s
>not a pleb
>>
SOMEONE RECOMMEND ME A GOOD HAND GRINDER PLEASE. ELECTRONIC IS UNNECESSARY AND PRONE TO BREAKING
>>
>>7322665
i bought a walmart blade grinder for $12, it works great
it even has a removable grind chamber so i can wash it, which more expensive models don't even have
>>
>>7322665

I ALREADY KNOW WHAT'S BEST AND WHY IT'S BEST BUT HAVE NEVER ACTUALLY OWNED ONE OR DONE MY OWN RESEARCH IF I TYPE IN ALL CAPS YOU HAVE TO ANSWER ME

>polite sage
>>
>>7322677
<3 I don't know it's best but I'm not willing to spend too much; cheap electronics have that brilliant tendency of utterly awful build quality

>>7322669
Thanks, I'll check it out
>>
>>7319961
>occasional coffee drinker
>>7320378
>hunt around for a bunch of used appliances that are finicky to use and a pain to clean and have a massive amount of room for error if you don't know what you're doing
Do you actually want OP to hate coffee? Please don't ever give coffee advice again. Or any advice for that matter. In fact just kill yourself.
>>
>>7320780
That's what I thought, I tried to make good impression to the gifter but I was in no hurry to try it.

Turned out if properly done, the result is incredibly close to far more sophisticated machines.

The foam, the taste, man. I don't use my moka anymore for just me.
>>
>>7320104
>it has a lot of variables with lots of things that will go wrong the first few times and takes practic
What? Like what can go wrong?
>>
File: P1080481res.jpg (111KB, 1000x668px) Image search: [Google]
P1080481res.jpg
111KB, 1000x668px
>>7324272
>What? Like what can go wrong?

You might accidentally grind it too fine, plugging it up, causing the coffee to not rise up out of the column and instead seep out of the middle section.

You set your stove burner/flame too hot and it gushes out of the column instead of smoothly flowing out (common noob mistake).

You get too scared of fucking it up, end the brewing process to early, end up with lots of water in the reservoir.
>>
>>7324310
Never had any of these problems since I started using one. And all I knew beforehand was "don't grind it too fine", "medium heat" and "water up until the valve" .
>>
>>7321627
>Another option you can try is going with the Arab approach to brewing coffee. Simple process that gives you an end product with more body than drip or a moka brew, but without all the sharp flavor of the moka or a proper espresso.
I recommend the Turkish way. I enjoy my cuppa a lot more by using this method. The crema I get is a great added bonus with regular vac packed pre-ground coffee bought at your local store. I assume the coffee would be better if I used a proper Turkish powder grind.
>>
>>7321627
>I M P L Y I N G
>M
>P
>L
>Y
>I
>N
>G

what are you trying to say, anon?
>>
>>7319961
Moka pots are really only good if you are into drinking really strong thick coffee that isn't quite espresso. If you like turkish coffee then you would like moka pot. However, if you don't use it absolutely every day you have to brew coffee and throw it out and then brew the batch you're going to drink otherwise it will taste bitter and metallic. But as long as it's used daily you can skip that step.
>>
>>7324310
That has never happened to me. Just grind it slightly finer than drip. Use your eyes, feel the grinds with your fingers. It isn't rocket science.
>>
>>7324787
English not your native language?

There's no ambiguity in that post, anon.
>>
>>7319961
Yep, get one.
I drink tea on the weekdays, but I use a moka pot to make cafe au lait on weekend mornings. It make a delicious cup of coffee. There is a slight technique to it, though. Your coffee can come out bitter if you don't get it right, but it's not hard.
>>
>>7319961
Bodum makes a nice little single-serving French press if you want to go that route.
>>
Once i got an espresso machine, there was no going back, but i suppose thats more of a daily coffee drinker thing to have
>>
>>7322554
Won't the water be overcooked and gritty?
>>
>>7325142
Won't be an issue since you're making coffee, not water
>>
>>7322679
Don't do it. Blade grinders are trash. Get a decent burr mill instead
>>
>>7319961
Moka pot makes the best strong coffee. It's not finicky to use or hard to clean at all, just rinse it ,done.

Been drinking moka since I was 11 years old. Fuck all other coffees.
>>
>>7322648
>15 seconds

Pussy.
>>
Americans might not like moka pot has it makes a strong coffee, espresso cultures like italy are fans of them.

A french press is completely different, moka is basically a strong smaller drink. Both are good.
>>
>>7325181
>strong tea means you are tough
gaping, infected pussy.
>>
>>7324310
I've been using a moka pot every day for years, these have never been a problem. moka over french press every time
>>
File: 51FEOIMEtBL._SL1000_.jpg (48KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
51FEOIMEtBL._SL1000_.jpg
48KB, 1000x1000px
>>
>>7319977
I have a french press and bialetti stainless moca pot.

French press is more idiot proof, since I had the aluminum one and I forgot to put water in once so it ruined the maker and entire house smelled like shit for a day.

I'll just say that my findings are: Moka pot is more sensitive to the coffee you use and lends itself better for stronger brews, which turn out more "hearty".
But you have to stand by the stove until it's done and have to boil water separately unless you like espresso.

French press makes good coffee out of anything, and other than having to stir it 30 seconds in and pushing down the plunger slowly after 4 minutes, there's no science.
I've compared it to chemex and they're literally about the same for the casual drinker who's not a coffee snob.
>>
I just made my very first cup of french press

Holy shit this is good. Like where the fuck has this been my whole life
>>
>>7319961
>>
>>7319977
>>7320007
>>7320013
>>7321399
>>7321508
>>7321611
>>7321648
>>7322211
>>7325116
>>7327637

>tfw plebians call a cafetiere a french press
>>
File: SNL-bestofMike Myers-phillip.webm (1MB, 624x480px) Image search: [Google]
SNL-bestofMike Myers-phillip.webm
1MB, 624x480px
>>7330013
>he thinks using French terms is patrician
>>
File: java-press-instructions.jpg (42KB, 470x576px) Image search: [Google]
java-press-instructions.jpg
42KB, 470x576px
Not OP, but new to french press. What's your preferred coffee grounds?
>>
So whats the deal with percolator coffee? I have a gold miner buddy that makes it when we go up in the mountains and it's the best tasting coffee I've had so I was wondering if there's any good pots that I should buy?
Also a good coffee bean to grind up when in the mountains?
>>
>>7330315
The Italian word would make more sense here.
>>
>>7330548
Use very coarse grounds

And one more tip: stir the grounds for 4 mins.

Much different flavor, much better too
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.