[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /ck/ i just picked up a pound of carne asada. how should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: carne-asada-recipe.jpg (79KB, 620x415px) Image search: [Google]
carne-asada-recipe.jpg
79KB, 620x415px
hey /ck/ i just picked up a pound of carne asada. how should i season/cook it?
>>
>>7314827
>carne asada
literally means "grilled meat" so at that point it's already cooked.... drown it in ketchup a pleb like you will not feel the difference
>>
>>7314977
>getting this upset about minor technicalities
i bought it from a mexican market in southern california and it was labeled carne asada. go be a smartass somewhere else
>>
>>7315001
wait but what is it then? I've never seen "carne asada" sold at a supermarket - just at restaurants as grilled beef.

is it ground? is it precut steak? ???
>>
>>7315001
cooked vs uncooked is hardly a minor technicality. go be an idiot who doesn't know how to use google somewhere else.
>>
>>7314827
I've never done up my own carne asada, the mexican market one town over pulls it off so damn well that I just go buy it from them. From what the spanish-speaking staff and chinese-speaking cashier tell me (and by that I mean that they jibber at me in broken english and maybe i pick out a few words), in addition to the visibly obvious sliced onion and cilantro, it also has cumin, paprika, garlic, and dried peppers. As far as cooking goes, don't throw out the onions, pile them on top of the meat while it cooks and chop them up along with it when it comes off the grill. Adds good flavor
>>
Well what kind of animal is it senpai
>>
>>7315003
>>7315006

it's just language. we call fried potato sticks french fries despite the fact that they're not french. just don't take everything so literally. it's called carne asada because it's steak in a mexican context. also probably because it is meant to be grilled. either way, interpretation of the names that we call food is definitely a minor technicality. it's not a matter of whether or not it's grilled. obviously it's not grilled because i'm asking how to cook it

>>7315011
>cumin, paprika, garlic, and dried peppers
awesome thanks anon. i'll be sure to give that a shot. especially since it was straight from the mouth of pros
>>
>>7315013
beef
>>
>>7315006
>being this autistic
>>
>>7315001
>being a nigger

You get what you deserve.
>>
>all this shitposting

Fuck op if it's labeled carne asada it probably already has spices on it. If it's nice out grill it for about 3 minutes per side. If not just pan fry it for about 5 minutes on medium, flip it then cook for 4, flip it again and cook for 3 minutes. Let rest then slice thin and throw it on some fries with sour cream, guacamole and pico de gallo.
>>
>>7315001
>and it was labeled carne asada

Bullshit.

Even if you go to a Mexican supermarket meat counter and order "carne asada" the label says "marinated chuck steak" or whatever.

Anyway, you don't need to marinate or add spices since that's already been done.
>>
>>7315230
>>
>>7315244
That bag looks kind of shady. Don't think I'd buy that.
>>
>>7315409
it didn't come in the bag. it was from a butcher. he wrapped it up in that for me to take home. what's shady about it?
>>
>>7315244
Fair enough, looks legit.

>Asada

Strange that they don't specify what cut of beef.
>>
this is how i like it, may sound strange but its based on how a mexican restaurant i worked at does it. it was real good

marinate for about an hour in soy sauce, Worcestershire, garlic powder and lime juice. about 5 parts soy 1 part worcestershire.

slice meat thinly, put on oiled grill
sautee onions/peppers in frying pan
add minced garlic, some white wine and teryiaki glaze to onions/peppers
add nearly rare meat to pan until everythings done
serve with tortillas, cheese, sour cream, whatever you want

asada is usually close to skirt steak btw
>>
>>7315766
>soy sauce
>teryiaki glaze
damn son i would've never thought of that. sounds pretty good though desu. i don't have enough time anymore to marinate it, but maybe i'll try seasoning it with some
>>
After 3 seconds of googling, I found out "asada" can also just mean "roast," like the noun. What does the meat look like, OP? If you're looking to make carne asada, you're probably best off with skirt, flank, or flat iron/butler's steak. That price seems low for any of those, could it be a roast?
>>
>>7315824
i'll take a pic and post in a little bit. it just looks like really thinly sliced steak. but honestly i don't know much about different cuts of meat because i don't eat it very often
>>
>>7315849
is it de-fatted already? on the asada i used to cut we had to cut off the layers of fat first
>>
>>7315857
yeah i don't see much fat. it's mostly red
>>
>>7315044
>fried potato sticks
>french fries

Those are called dutchies
>>
>>7315624

I bet it's top ground, sliced thin. Hence, Carne Asada is just Mexican London Broil.
>>
>>7315864
lol you guys are so difficult
>>
>>7315866
*round
>>
>>7315866
Most Mexican supermarkets will sell you marinated chuck, like I mentioned earlier. Flank would be more proper.

Top round with that all that seasoning and marinade would be amazing though.
>>
My beaner parents only ever put salt and peppuh.
They made sauce and grilled green onion and chorizo and that was it. Best shit.
They sell marinated meat at hispanic markets that tastes good too.
>>
>>7314827
OP's pick is idiotic, cutting it with the grain is the wrong way to go here.
>>
It really depends on what cut that beef actually is. IMHO the best carne asada is made with flank steak . . . . but who knows what yours is?

Take a picture of it out of the bag and I'll tell you how I would cook it?
>>
>>7314827
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, lawrys seasoned salt, msg, lemon, onion,cumin, dried peppers, cilantro.

Holy shit do you all live in bum fuck flyover land? The cut is flank steak, in the store they call it ranchera.
>>
>>7316284
Forgot to add beer.
>>
>>7316251
agreed. makes the meat chewy and tough sometimes
>>
File: 1453434675944.jpg (355KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1453434675944.jpg
355KB, 1000x750px
sorry guys. i got impatient and decided to just cook it so i can't post a pic anymore but it turned out pretty tough and bland desu. i promise i'll listen to you all next time. i've learned my lesson
>>
For me carne asada is thinly sliced (or pounded flat) beef that you marinate and then sear over high heat. Then you slice thinly against the grain and serve either alone or on tortillas with onions and peppers. Or as tacos. Or on a salad. Endless possibilities.

My marinade recipe for the roughly 1lb of meat you have would be:

1/4cup lemon juice
1/4cup lime juice
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Teaspoon each of:
Chili powder
Cumin
Oregano
Paprika
Black pepper
Mexican hot sauce

Combine all those ingredients with some cilantro (maybe a quarter cup chopped). In fact put it all in a blender! Then add about 1/2 cup of canola oil slowly as it blends.

Put aside a half cup of that. Put the rest with the meat in a big ziplock bag and marinate 12-24 hours.
>>
>>7316371
You have failed me for the last time! (Just kidding)

Next time marinate it like I said. Then pull it out and pat it dry. Either grill it, sear in a hot pan, or put it under the broiler for a few minutes on either side.

When it's done put it aside for 5-10 minutes to rest loosely covered with some tin foil. Then slice into thin strip against the grain and pour over that bit of marinade you saved.

It will be amazing!
>>
I would just do some salt pepper, a red pepper of your choosing and maybe a little bit of cumin.
>>
>>7316386
>>7316398
thank you this sounds fantastic. i screencapped and i will be sure to try it next time.

also as a general question, why does it matter if i slice it with or against the grain?
>>
The idea of carne asada is similar to BBQ. You start with a cheap and lean and very tough cut of meat and make it into something delicious.

The acidic nature of the citrus juice in the marinade helps to break down and tenderize the meat. The spices boost the flavor.

The typical cuts used for carne asada are long strands of muscle. If you sliced it with the grain you would have a long strand of one muscle. It would be very chewy and difficult to eat.

By cutting thinly against the grain you get small portions of that tough muscle that are tender and delicious and easy to eat!
>>
File: EmHkV1V.png (270KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
EmHkV1V.png
270KB, 2048x2048px
>>
>>7316554
what
>>
>>7316463
oh ok that makes sense. thanks!
>>
>>7316696
No problem! Next time try marinating and cooking it like I described, I guarantee you it will be amazing!
>>
>>7315624
Carne asada is fajita meat ehich is usually skirt steak like op picture
>>
File: 1398925346260s.jpg (3KB, 125x106px) Image search: [Google]
1398925346260s.jpg
3KB, 125x106px
>>7316700
will do mate
>>
>>7314827
Make your own mojio marinade.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.