[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the secret to making perfectly creamy cheese sauce

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: Mac-1-PSD.jpg (147KB, 600x397px) Image search: [Google]
Mac-1-PSD.jpg
147KB, 600x397px
What's the secret to making perfectly creamy cheese sauce for mac and cheese?

I usually start with a roux then add cream and seasonings and thicken it. Then I add all my cheese slowly to let it melt. The sauce tastes pretty good but it always comes out kind of chunky and greasy.

What's the secret to perfect sauce??
>>
>>7308956
'cha
>>
>>7308956
>chunky and greasy

Take your roux off the heat for a while, and stir while it cools. Then add cheese, then mix your pasta. Shouldn't separate then.
>>
>>7308975
When do I add the cream?
>>
>>7308988
I guess by roux I meant bechamel, I mix those words up a lot. Just make the sauce (without the cheese) like you normally would. Then add the cheese after it's cooled a bit.

tldr: don't overheat the cheese
>>
look up Mornay sauce and do that. flour:fat are 1:1
>>
File: 1446461835134.jpg (37KB, 670x496px) Image search: [Google]
1446461835134.jpg
37KB, 670x496px
the secret is you buy it at costco
>>
>>7308956
the secret is to use evaporated milk, not a roux, as the base for your sauce
>>
>>7309020

>flour:fat is 1:1

how is this going to matter in a cheese sauce...
>>
>>7309708
what this guy says

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/the-food-lab-fifteen-minute-stovetop-macaroni-and-cheese-recipe-food-lab-book-excerpt.html

that said, this mac and cheese hits the stomach like a ton of bricks so be prepared to pay for the deliciousness.

also cleanup is annoying
>>
just get some sodium citrate, it's all you need
breaks down the proteins in the cheese and can make a block of cheddar melt like velveeta
>>
>>7309723

First you make a Bechamel which is a mother sauce. Then you make it into a Mornay sauce which is a secondary sauce.
>>
>>7309776
>>
>>7309776

yes i'm quite aware

my point is how does the ratio of fat to flour matter when you add nothing but more fat to finish the sauce
>>
>>7308956
what exact cheese are you using?
>>
>>7309016
>don't overheat the cheese
this this this

and then you add a shit ton of oregano cause it's delicious
>>
I can never get the cheese flavor to taste like I want. if you use too much cheddar you end up with too much of that sour fermented taste, but without a lot of cheese it just tastes like milk. I think it's necessary to use more than one kind of cheese, but buying a bunch of different cheeses to test is too expensive.
>>
>>7309851
I might get botched at but I like to use a mild cheddar and brie.
>>
You nee to use a mixture of cheeses. Personally, I use Parmesan, a medium cheddar and a small amount of Gruyere to get the right taste/consistency.
>>
>>7309851
Make sure you're using a strong cheddar, no mild. A bit of parmesan or asiago rounds it out nicely. For super ezpz flavouring, consider dried onion flakes and/or garlic powder.
>>
File: gyeojagaru.jpg (2MB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
gyeojagaru.jpg
2MB, 2000x1333px
>>7309851
m u s t a r d

p o w d e r
>>
>>7308956
creamy mac and cheese is disgusting. Just make kraft blue box but use 10% of the butter, and 3x the milk suggested and add black pepper. You will be more than satisfied.
>>
>>7308956
ok, ok so is mac&cheese just macaroni with cheese (or cheesesauce)? cause that sounds god awful
>>
>>7309968
Do you live in one of those poor countries?
>>
>>7309974
no, don't know what that has to do with my question though
>>
>>7309987
It's fairly popular around the world, you should have at least heard about it before today.
>>
>>7309995
obviously i've heard of mac&cheese but it sounds awful so i've never looked into it.
how about you just answer the question ?
>>
>>7309968

Yeah. I like to add ketchup & dried italian herbs to mine, makes it much tastier.
>>
>>7308956
You need to grate your cheese very finely and GENTLY stir it into the cream over a very low heat.
>>
>>7310015
why are foreigns so bumharmed about American cultural supremacy?

it's a bit sad, really
>>
The secret is heavy cream. Lots of it, and reduce it first.
>>
>>7309784
>cheese
>"nothing but fat"

Retard.
>>
>>7308956

Maybe you need to improve your skills making bechamel? Mine comes out plenty smooth.

If you're adding cheese into it, I find that it melts best if you cover it to trap the steam and let it sit on very low heat for a while. In the same manner, cheese melts better over a burger in a frying pan if you put a pot lid on top of it.
>>
mornay sauce with a little processed cheese thrown in for emuslifiers.
>>
>>7308967
Fag

>>7308956
A little protein powder
>>
>>7308956
Good mac and cheese is gooey, never creamy. If there is a cheese sauce involved you already fucked up
>>
>>7309723
you're adding a lot of starch with the flour, which also has protein, and you need the fat to balance it out and keep it creamy.

>>7309784
cheese is not "just fat". butter is fat. you're not adding butter to your sauce instead of cheese, are you?

are you just trying to subtly make fun of people for eating fat?
>>
I don't make a bechamel for my max and cheese, I just make a simple sauce from reduced cream and add my cheese and seasoning to that. Like others said, the key to making sure you don't get a greasy separated mess is to not overheat your cheese. When you're saying cheese your heart should be off, you're done cooking it. And make sure you don't add it too fast, to avoid clumping.
>>
>>7312582
Autocorrect made me sound like a shitty YouTube cooking channel. What is max and cheese?
>>
>>7308956
Sodium citrate.
>>
>>7308956
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4zw99VsoMA
>>
I always make mine by cooking pasta, making bechamel sauce, and then dump that with cheese in the oven.
>>
Thinking about making mac and cheese for the first time tomorrow.
Any tips for someone who has never eaten it before?
>>
Your cheese should be shredded and at room temp before adding it to the sauce. Only add a bit at a time. Add your milk or cream really slowly to your roux.
>>
>>7309925
this guy knows
>>
>>7312582
>>7312585
Don't forget to turn your heart off
>>
>>7308956
I bring some half and half to a boil then let it simmer. then put in a ton of cheese ( i mix 2 3 kinds) then when the cheese melted i add the cooked pasta and mix it then let it simmer a bit and shit is gr8

when i wanna be fancy i add chunks of italian sausage and pesto in the mix.
>>
>>7315424
Make sure you do a baked recipe and not one that involves a cheese sauce
>>
>>7309968
Mac and cheese is exactly what the title suggests. Macaroni and cheese. Google is a thing that could have given you an answer ages ago.

Also, don't knock it until you try it. Unless you absolutely dislike cheese, that is.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.