[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

want to try something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

So, ive read a lot about the perks of kicking sugar out of your diet and thought id give it a try.
Has anyone of you done that?
Maybe tipps? Storys? Or whats your opinion on the topic?
>>
File: nutrition-facts.jpg (48KB, 301x509px) Image search: [Google]
nutrition-facts.jpg
48KB, 301x509px
Sounds like a waste of time. I just follow nutritional guidelines and count my calories.

Cancer seems to be killing all the cool people lately anyway so might as well enjoy life while you can.
>>
I've done something similar to this before (limited my diet to 20g of carbs a day) I did it for about 3 months and you lose a lot of weight. It's pretty difficult to do at first but it gets easier once it begins to feel normal. I felt sick for the first few days but once I got over that I felt pretty energetic and great (even hiked a mountain and felt awesome). The only downside to that diet was not being able to eat many different kinds of foods or try a wide range of recipes.
>>
>>7277357
What did you eat? How hungry were you?
>>
>>7277357
>you lose a lot of weight
>I felt sick for the first few days but once I got over that I felt pretty energetic and great (even hiked a mountain and felt awesome).
>The only downside to that diet was not being able to eat many different kinds of foods or try a wide range of recipes.
that sounds pretty good to me. and im sure the internet provides enough recipes...
>>
i literally get withdrawals if I don't eat something sugary for a whole day

I underweight btw
>>
I gave up sugar once and experienced complete metabolic dysfunction and nearly died. 0/10 would not recommend
>>
>>7277456
>>7277457
After getting used to it I felt as hungry as I would otherwise. Nothing really different there. I ate a bunch of different things found a ton of recipes on reddit (i know i know, but just relax with the leddit circlejerk for a bit) on the ketorecipes subreddit
>>
You're brain and all the cells in your body run on sugar. It's retarded to get sugar out of your diet. I mean yeah, get the processed sugary foods and refined white sugar out, but cutting sugar completely is not wise.
>>
>>7277501
Thanks.
>>
>>7277349
I go without simple carbohydrates for three from time to time. The first time I got really angry and started craving all kinds of sweets after two days.
I tried it because someone told my I would start to despise foods high in sugar after this kind of fasting, but I still love them. However, I started to find some bitter foods tasty I couldn't bring myself to enjoy before.
>>
>>7277504
>cutting sugar completely is not wise.
I don't think that's even possible.
>>
File: 1339716626171.jpg (14KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
1339716626171.jpg
14KB, 240x320px
>kicking sugar
>quitting soda
>made with real milk
>made with real juice
I find phrases like this disturbing

Just buy stuff that doesn't have 20,000 ingredients on the package and you should be good. The produce section is your friend, op. So are bulk dried beans and whole grains. So are farmer's markets. Nothing wrong with meat but buy it from a reputable source. A live chicken place that caters to immigrants. An independent farmer. Not a place that sprays the birds with a gallon of ammonia and then injects them with soy protein to make up for shit-tier quality and safety standards.
>>
Heavily reducing your consumption of processed sugar is completely sensible.

Cutting anything sweet because "CARBS ARE EVIL" is asinine.
>>
>>7277742
Why did you capitalise "carbs are evil"? Do you have some feelings you want to let out? Perhaps there is a person close to you on facebook that you don't feel confident about confronting directly? Post your response here instead, that will show him.
>>
>>7277357
>>7277349
I'm in my sixth month of a low carb diet, I typically have between 0 and 15 grams per day. I've lost 60 pounds and have gone down two sizes on my waist.
>>
>>7277751
Like I saw a few others in this thread say, it wasn't easy at first, and you end up being surprised a lot at how much carbs are really in things. The first month you end up going over you allowed 20 grams a few different times just because you don't realize how much is in what your eating. BUT after a few months its very easy since you know the value of all the foods you eat on a regular basis.

I'm only 15 pounds away from my target weight now. Once I reach that, I'm going to increase my daily carbs to about 50 grams, and start working out more seriously. I hit the gym three days a week now, but I only do light workouts because I don't have the energy with no carbs.
>>
>>7277492
>Literal addiction
I am the same. I go through phases of low carb intake and it always leaves me clear minded and happier after a few days to the point where I think I can break it for one pancake then everything collapses. If you can do it no sugar is well worth it, you find new understanding of savoury flavours.
>>
>>7277801
>new understanding of savoury flavours
this, cooking without any sugar has caused me to explore a ton of new flavors I wouldn't have tried otherwise.
>>
>>7277349
you don't have to completely give up sugar just because some people consume way too much of it

i don't drink soda and make my own desserts, that pretty much took care of any overconsumption
>>
Most stuff like this differs greatly depending on the person. It's best to experiment and see how your body reacts. Some people it is life changing and some people don't even notice a difference.
>>
I've quit soda and cut sugar out of my coffee.
Best choice I've ever made.
I still like having some OJ once in a while tho
>>
>>7277926
>stop consuming sugar
>still consume caffeine
>>
>>7277967
nothing wrong with that
>>
>>7277349
I follow a diet that calls for no added sweetener in anything, except maybe some dark chocolate once in a while since chocolate's benefits outweigh the sugar. I check pasta sauce, canned beans, anything processed. I've given up dessert, juice, applesauce, jams, syrup, coffee flavors, all of it.

What it results in is me eating much more healthy because I basically have to cook everything from scratch. I run and do martial arts, I do eat whole fruit.

The oddest two experiences are being able to eat 86% dark chocolate and have it be sweet enough. The other one was eating corn chips, a few weeks after cutting all the sugar, and they tasted sweet.

Benefits: I don't get headaches or brain fog any more. I lost a few pounds, but I'm fit to begin with so it worked like a cut and just dropped my body fat percentage. But I also noticed that my cravings disappeared, as well as the need to constantly graze on crap. Supposedly it fixes your insulin cycles.
>>
haven't read trough the thread, but i usually loose all desire to eat sugar after day 3. feel good
>>
>>7277349
I did not kick sugar out of my diet for the sake of it, but I am chubby and need to get my shit together so I recently stopped eating things with added sugar since I am cooking all my own meals now and not eating cake and candy anymore.

the only real difference I feel physiologically aside from weight loss is my energy levels feel more stable, I'm not having spikes of FUCK YEAAHHHH IM GONNA FEEL LIKE THIS FOREVER!!!! followed by a crashing into miserable angry headaches, I just cruise along. feels pretty comfy actually
>>
I dont get hungry when i cut sugar out, i eat green vetables and plenty of meat and fats. Energy levels stabalise, no desire for junk food, basically its super easy to get back in tune with your body, youll only feel then need to eat just enough and it will keep you going for half a day at least. Youll lose weight quick. It feels like low carb high protein and fat is how it should have always been, your body feels like its functioning how it should. Also after a couple of weeks if you eat junk you will realise how shit it makes you feel and ull never want to again. Eating junk after not eating it for a while you feel poisoned, heavy feeling, sluggish, tired. Its the opposite on keto, you feel light, energetic, calm, fluid.
>>
The thing I found very surprising when I cut carbs down to under 20g a day is that I never felt hungry.
By that I mean I would never get the stomach pains or lack of energy I used to get all the time when I was hungry. No matter how much I felt I needed to eat something, there would be no stomach pain or craving even. It was very odd having no cravings either.
Even though I felt better and lost weight faster on a HFLC diet I can't do it right now. Maybe when the weather is warmer, right now it's cold and I want to eat bread and shit. It's 100% an addiction (carbs), I knew this now. But fuck me are carbs just so tasty. Like seriously just bread and butter, could eat that shit all day.
>>
>>7277504
The body can utilise ketones the same if not better than sugar. Refined sugar has been around a far shorter amount of time than the 200,000 years modern humans spent eating, plants and meat. The body can work with both but for me no sugar is peak performance for my body.
>>
>>7277349
I never explicitly thought about giving up sugar, but I eat very little of the stuff. I don't do sweet drinks, desserts or convenience/fast/junk food. And while I eat lots of vegetables I don't do much fruit.

Because of this I often go days at a time without consuming any sugar. But I'm not scared of white carbs in moderation, so I eat things that my body quickly turns into sugar anyways.
>>
>>7277349

It's great. Your gums start looking better. When you go outside mosquitos aren't attracted. Lose weight without exercise along your waistline. Soon you lose cravings and find yourself eating too little possibly.

Tips:

- Best to avoid artifical sweeteners (they might give you cravings) but if you must:

- Stevia and xylitol are good sweeteners

- Eat savory/spicy food when you want something with flavor

- Dark chocolate has very little sugar in it

- Berries like raspberries have very little sugar too

- Salsa and marinara sauce can be okay too, check the label

- Eating white bread is practically the same thing as eating sugar.

- Replace pasta with "zoodles" and/or tofu shirataki noodles

- You can make low-carb, sugar-free muffins and biscuits using artificial sweeteners and low carb flour such as coconut flour, flax, almond flour, etc.
>>
>>7277349

Also mashed cauliflower is a delicious substitute for potatoes.
>>
>>7277504

Your body basically converts protein to sugar.

Also, often your body converts sugar to fat. It's not as simple as fat -> puts fat in your body, sugar-> puts sugar in your body.
>>
>>7278411
>no sugar is peak performance for my body.
until you are on dialysis by the time you are 50

ketones are bad things
ketosis is to ketoacidosis as HIV is to AIDS

it's still a dangerous situation that compromises your health
>>
>>7278473

Yah, ketones are the bad things that kept the human race alive for best part of 200,000 years. and the HFCS and refined sugar is the holy grail for health and fitness.

p.s

there are studies that show extended periods of ketosis e.g. 1 year + have no detrimental health effects whatsoever. the only reason they don't condone longer than that is because they have not carried out a study for longer than that but it is most likely fine since it's used by people who suffer from seizures and a host of other medical issues to keep them under control. and im betting they are as fit as anyone who over consumes sugar.
>>
>>7278473
also

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

"CONCLUSIONS:

The present study shows the beneficial effects of a long-term ketogenic diet. It significantly reduced the body weight and body mass index of the patients. Furthermore, it decreased the level of triglycerides, LDL cholesterol and blood glucose, and increased the level of HDL cholesterol. Administering a ketogenic diet for a relatively longer period of time did not produce any significant side effects in the patients. Therefore, the present study confirms that it is safe to use a ketogenic diet for a longer period of time than previously demonstrated."
>>
>>7278473
There's literally nothing wrong with ketosis.
Ketoacidosis is ccompletely different and something only a diabetic sugar eater needs to worry about.
>>
>>7278473
and another study carried out over 5 years

http://www.nutritionjrnl.com/article/S0899-9007%2814%2900044-6/abstract

"Conclusions
Our data suggest that maintaining a KD for more than 5 y does not pose any major negative effects on body composition, bone mineral content, and bone mineral density in adults with GLUT-1 DS, a finding that is at variance with previous reports focusing on children with intractable epilepsy. Further studies with larger sizes are needed to confirm and expand our findings."
>>
>>7278528
>Ketoacidosis is ccompletely different
no it isn't, like I said with my HIV example. AIDS is the result of advanced HIV infection, ketoacidosis is the result of advanced ketosis. It's the same condition that gets a new name when it becomes severe enough.
>>7278515
>>7278523
same goes for you

you want to tank your kidneys? fine by my, I don't give shit. Just remember this conversation 20 years from now when your doctor walks in the room with a clip board and says he has some bad news
>>
>>7278532
not suggesting anything about body composition, I'm talking about suppressed kidney function in which case the organs will function just fine...until they don't
>>
>>7278543
don't you think in 5 years if their liver started functioning abnormally it would be present in the tests they carry out which show good health is maintained while in ketosis.

btw you have provided no evidence, no studies that show ketosis has a negative impact on the body, so therefore up to this point anything you say must be regarded as unfounded nonsense spewed up by someone who thinks they know something they evidently do not.
>>
>>7278550
>anything you say must be regarded as unfounded nonsense spewed up by someone who thinks they know something they evidently do not
what is your education and profession? and please be honest, because I'm quite sure my scope of knowledge far exceeds yours I'm sure both from a professional and legal stand points

at best I would wager you are a nutritional hobbyist with no formal education on the topic, because at the moment all formal education you could get on the topic and the medical consensus would tell you that long term keto is very dangerous and damaging to the kidneys.
You need to specifically show a kidney study that says otherwise
>>
>>7278535

ketoacidosis not the result of advanced ketosis.

ketoacidosis is a side effect of diabetes, I can't even find anyone who wasn't diabetic suffering from ketoacidosis.
>>
>>7278473

You are dumb. Stop spreading blatant disinformation.
>>
>>7278562
>ketoacidosis is a side effect of diabetes
ketosis is a side effect of insulin deficiency
ketoacidosis is when the ketosis causes your blood to become dangerously acidic.
and again, that acid is the problem, it damages your kidneys as they try to filter it
>>7278566
>this fad diet people just started doing 2 years ago is correct and diagnostic medicine is wrong
>>
>>7278568

provide a study which shows damage has been caused to the kidneys in healthy people who opt for a ketogenic lifestyle.

oh wait you can't because there is non.
>>
File: SqUmnKH.png (98KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
SqUmnKH.png
98KB, 625x626px
>>7278561
>what is your education and profession? and please be honest, because I'm quite sure my scope of knowledge far exceeds yours I'm sure both from a professional and legal stand points
>>
>>7278580
do you want me to provide a study about how water is good for you too?
or that drinking alcohol will make you drunk?

its a medical fact that with a ketogenic diet you risk kidney damage. this isn't a debate, it isn't a discussion, its you denying a medical fact.
>>
File: 132754497469.png (73KB, 755x1255px) Image search: [Google]
132754497469.png
73KB, 755x1255px
>>7278601

>can't provide evidence because non exists
>tries to backup baseless claims with a clearly nonfactual, factual claim

baiting this hard, must be sad being wrong, then realizing you're wrong, but still trying to prove you're right when everyone can see how foolish you are making yourself look.
>>
>>7277801
God this is me. I got down to 10 fucking pounds away from my goal weight after about 6 months of low carb and then just went crazy and gained another 10 back.

I am literally a carb addict, I become more happy eating carbs than sex. I hate myself so much for it because I know I am 3 months of strict keto away from being 115 pounds but I just can't get my discipline back and always cheat.

As soon as I get home from vacation I am DONE with them until I hit my goal goddamn I am sick of feeling fat.
>>
Avoid processed food.

Once you stop eating out of packages or at (most, 99% of) fast food restaurants, you will find your sugar consumption drops enormously.
>>
>>7278446
>When you go outside mosquitos aren't attracted.
i stopped eating sugar and there were no more alien invasions
>>
>>7278601
>MUH MEDICAL FACT
>DON'T STOP EATING SUGAR YOU FUCKING GOYS!
>FAT IS BAD IT MAKES YOU FAT
>EAT SUGAR
>KETOSIS CAUSES KIDNEY DAMAGE
>EAT SUGAR YOU FUCKING GOYS
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.