[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ask a Product Development Chef

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: Cute Chibatta.jpg (263KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Cute Chibatta.jpg
263KB, 1080x1080px
Hey fu/ck/ers. Product Development Chef here. I develop refrigerated and shelf stable products for grocery stores and random food brands. Bored so ask me questions and give meaning to my life.
>>
>>7275838
your life has little meaning
>>
Is there a preservative tastier than sodium diacetate?
>>
How badly has the "clean label" fad messed up your business? How much of the stuff you develop would you eat yourself?
>>
How much do you make, and can I get a job like that if the only thing close to a food science class I've taken was intro nutrition in culinary school, and otherwise just have line-cook experience and am not an idiot?
>>
>>7275854
It's not for flavor.

>>7275866
It hasn't, it's simply opened up new business for me. I wouldn't eat any of it, as I only eat fresh foods that I cook up myself.

>>7275868
If you can talk up your experience, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting into the field by starting out as an assistant.
>>
>>7275880
Who are you and why are you hijacking my thread? Also, nice to meet you. Always cool to meet someone in the same business.
>>
What's the worst thing you developed?
>>
>>7275868
About $40,000/year, I'm not sure what the norm is but I have a culinary degree, a food science degree, and about 2 years of experience.
>>
>>7275866
Actually, we boast "natural" and "clean" food product development. We use natural preservatives and pay attention to physical properties like water activity for preservation.
>>
Would you eat diarrhea for $2000
>>
>>7275853
Thanks, I know.
>>
>>7275893
Tough one. I'm not sure, I like everything I've developed. It's sort of a necessity of the job.
>>
What do you think about gums and stabilizers? What's your favorite?
>>
I'm guessing you must do a shitload of product testing to see if general consumers will enjoy the processed crap you produce. Is there any results from that testing that surprised you?

The only frozen shit I buy anymore is Lean Cusine or stuff from Trader Joe's. Other processed food just is way too big in portions and I end up throwing most of the crap away.
>>
>>7275916

I don't think I have a favorite, it really depends on the specific application. I'll use them if the client isn't opposed and they serve a function.
>>
>>7275917

Funny you would mention that. We only really do organoleptic studies with our staff and don't do a lot of consumer testing. We're a smaller firm. Generally, the clients will conduct consumer testing if they feel the need to, but smaller food brands dont have the money for that.
>>
>>7275854

It's a little salty. Personally, I prefer using acids but it really depends on the product.
>>
>>7275838
You realize that nobody can track you in the thread because you didn't bother to use a trip, right? That's literally what they're for.
>>
>>7275947

I'm a 4chan newb. How do?
>>
>>7275948
YourDisplayName#yourInsecureTripCode
Or
YourDisplayName##YourSecureTripCodehunter2
>>
>>7275947
Did I do it right?
>>
>>7275966
Yeah, but because you didn't use it when you posted the thread there's no way of determining if you're the OP.
>>
>>7275961

Got it. Will remember for future use. Thanks anon.
>>
>>7275968

I suppose you'll just have to trust me. Or not. Nothing I can do now.
>>
>>7275838
okay
where u from
where do you export?
is your food cumbloated with water before freeznng to make it not look cuck like?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.