[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Ask a Product Development Chef
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Cute Chibatta.jpg (263 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Cute Chibatta.jpg
263 KB, 1080x1080
Hey fu/ck/ers. Product Development Chef here. I develop refrigerated and shelf stable products for grocery stores and random food brands. Bored so ask me questions and give meaning to my life.
>>
>>7275838
your life has little meaning
>>
Is there a preservative tastier than sodium diacetate?
>>
How badly has the "clean label" fad messed up your business? How much of the stuff you develop would you eat yourself?
>>
How much do you make, and can I get a job like that if the only thing close to a food science class I've taken was intro nutrition in culinary school, and otherwise just have line-cook experience and am not an idiot?
>>
>>7275854
It's not for flavor.

>>7275866
It hasn't, it's simply opened up new business for me. I wouldn't eat any of it, as I only eat fresh foods that I cook up myself.

>>7275868
If you can talk up your experience, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting into the field by starting out as an assistant.
>>
>>7275880
Who are you and why are you hijacking my thread? Also, nice to meet you. Always cool to meet someone in the same business.
>>
What's the worst thing you developed?
>>
>>7275868
About $40,000/year, I'm not sure what the norm is but I have a culinary degree, a food science degree, and about 2 years of experience.
>>
>>7275866
Actually, we boast "natural" and "clean" food product development. We use natural preservatives and pay attention to physical properties like water activity for preservation.
>>
Would you eat diarrhea for $2000
>>
>>7275853
Thanks, I know.
>>
>>7275893
Tough one. I'm not sure, I like everything I've developed. It's sort of a necessity of the job.
>>
What do you think about gums and stabilizers? What's your favorite?
>>
I'm guessing you must do a shitload of product testing to see if general consumers will enjoy the processed crap you produce. Is there any results from that testing that surprised you?

The only frozen shit I buy anymore is Lean Cusine or stuff from Trader Joe's. Other processed food just is way too big in portions and I end up throwing most of the crap away.
>>
>>7275916

I don't think I have a favorite, it really depends on the specific application. I'll use them if the client isn't opposed and they serve a function.
>>
>>7275917

Funny you would mention that. We only really do organoleptic studies with our staff and don't do a lot of consumer testing. We're a smaller firm. Generally, the clients will conduct consumer testing if they feel the need to, but smaller food brands dont have the money for that.
>>
>>7275854

It's a little salty. Personally, I prefer using acids but it really depends on the product.
>>
>>7275838
You realize that nobody can track you in the thread because you didn't bother to use a trip, right? That's literally what they're for.
>>
>>7275947

I'm a 4chan newb. How do?
>>
>>7275948
YourDisplayName#yourInsecureTripCode
Or
YourDisplayName##YourSecureTripCodehunter2
>>
>>7275947
Did I do it right?
>>
>>7275966
Yeah, but because you didn't use it when you posted the thread there's no way of determining if you're the OP.
>>
>>7275961

Got it. Will remember for future use. Thanks anon.
>>
>>7275968

I suppose you'll just have to trust me. Or not. Nothing I can do now.
>>
>>7275838
okay
where u from
where do you export?
is your food cumbloated with water before freeznng to make it not look cuck like?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
Thread DB ID: 457862

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.