[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Smoked brisket

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (305KB, 1024x599px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
305KB, 1024x599px
Anyone here smoke brisket? I'm using an electric smoker with hickory chips, planning on doing 225 uncovered until it gets to about 160 internal then wrapping it in foil until 205 or so

>brine, marinade or neither
>inject? If so with what
>what should I put in the rub

Thanks
>>
>>7262992
>brine if you have 24 hours to spare
>apple juice
>if you are creating your own, brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, cayenne, cumin...
>>
File: unnamed.png (92KB, 368x399px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
92KB, 368x399px
>>7262992
How hard is it to smoke a brisket in one of these? I've always wanted to try.
>>
>>7263008
>apple juice

As a side note, we also injected melted butter last time before wrapping it in foil. It was amazing.
>>
What do I need to smoke brisket? Do I have to buy special woodchips?
>>
>>7263010
Takes a lot of practice to keep an even temperature in my experience with a grill. I would practice smoking with cheap pork butts before doing brisket because brisket is expensive and easy to dry out if you fuck up temp
>>
>>7263008
Thanks, that almost identical to what I do with pork except I add some sugar and Worcester to the apple injection.
>>
>>7262992
Brining will help prevent it from drying out which is the biggest issue with brisket. You can inject too if you have less time.
>>
>>7262992

Dry rub: sea salt, black pepper, cayenne, tumeric, onion powder, garlic powder (sweet is for pork and chicken, not beef imo, so NO sugar)

Injection: 1 tbs of rub mixed with 1 cup of beef broth. Make enough injection to inject about once per 3 square inches of the brisket.

Step 1: prep the brisket by removing excess fat and coat with rub, use olive oil to get the rub to stick well. Stick it in the fridge over night.
Step 2: pull the brisket and apply another coat of rub, no need for oil this time.
Step 3: Start your fire and get your temp between 250-270, toss your brisket in your oven and use the warm setting to bring it up to room temp.
step 4: toss brisket in smoker and smoke that bitch until you get the bark color you want. Some like em' darker than others, it's up to you.
step 5: Once it's smoked to your liking, spritz with injection mix, and wrap that bitch in foil. You can continue to use your smoker, or just bring it inside and finish it in your oven, just make sure you pre-heat your oven and you've got a thermometer to monitor.
step 6: once you hit 190 degrees, pull from smoker / oven and rest for at least an hour.

That should get you a decent brisket, anon. Enjoy.
>>
This guy is awesome at Barbecue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Q3qaCVsdY
>>
File: IMG_1585.jpg (401KB, 1143x857px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1585.jpg
401KB, 1143x857px
>>7263010
it's not hard at all
>>
File: IMG_1321.jpg (374KB, 1197x835px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1321.jpg
374KB, 1197x835px
>>7263406
>>7263010
took like 14hrs
>>
>>7263406
>>7263410
Snake method? Got any good tips?
>>
You don't fucking brine or inject a brisket you morons. It's not a turkey. Standard recipe is buy the fattiest one you can find, cover it with yellow mustard and your seasoning and it sits in the fridge overnight. Put it in your smoker fat side up and cook (adjust the time depending on weight). When done wrap it in foil and put in an empty ice chest to rest until it's warm but not cool. Enjoy.
>>
Have helped build a few pit smokers and owned two personally. Did the competition circuit in Texas and won some awards here and there, although I do think my brisket is only okay. You have your temp range about right, just make sure you let it rest properly before you cut. If your smoker runs hot at all avoid putting any large amounts of sugar in your rub and add them in as a finishing sweet sauce toward the end. You can use a hand torch to re-caramalize a sauce and build up a bark again. If you brine do not forget to wash off your meat properly or else the heavy amounts of salt messes up the flavors. Remember there is no two ways and some people like sweet brisket, some like savory, and you can even try more exotic flavors. Good BBQ is like golf, if you aren't enjoying the sport just don't do it.
>>
>>7263430

Beef brisket benefits from injection more than any other piece of meat, imo, anon.
>>
>>7264397

Then why do none of the experts do it?
>>
>>7263071
Not over-trimming the fat cap (or trimming it at all) and not smoking at too high of a temperature are what prevents a brisket from drying out, brining is a completely unnecessary step unless you're making corned beef or pastrami.
>>
No brine, don't inject, rub with coarse ground pepper and kosher salt only. Skip the tinfoil, if you have to wrap it in something use brown butcher paper.
>>
>>7264589

Yeah, Franklin knows what he is doing.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.