[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

yo what the fuck IS yeast? like i know how to use it in recipes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: spoonful-of-yeast.jpg (49KB, 1000x518px) Image search: [Google]
spoonful-of-yeast.jpg
49KB, 1000x518px
yo what the fuck IS yeast? like i know how to use it in recipes and what it does, but how is it made? how did people use it in recipes thousands of years ago? cuz i don't think they went down to tesco and bought some instant yeast.
>>
No obviously not. Thousands of years ago they used self-rising flour as their main source of leavening in breads and pastries.
>>
It's a fungus, you idiot. It occurs naturally, not just in yeast packets. Thousands of years ago the yeast would've been there just due to exposure to the environment.
>>
>>7261796
It all started when this one bitch got a yeast infection, she got some starter dough from that. All yeast as we know it stems from that.
>>
In the time it took to make this thread you could have googled it.
>>
Yeasts are group of unicellular fungi, there are over a thousand different species. They mainly eat sugars and excrete carbon dioxide and ethanol, depending on how much oxygen they can get.

Like most similar organisms, they're basically everywhere, but obviously they grow best where food is available for them - on fruits, seeds and grains. If you mash that stuff up, chances are you'll get some yeast mixed in. Leave it for long enough, and you'll see carbon dioxide being produced.
>>
Bread makers used to buy the frothy yeasty stuff that brewers didnt use and make bread with it
>>
if you mix flour and water together, and leave it out for a couple days, it will develop into a yeast culture, and can be used to leaven bread. That's what I use. It sits in the fridge.
>>
Naturally occurring fungi but given the vast amount different kinds, that's how you can have two breads with exactly the same ingredients taste different.
Obviously they didn't have the technology to isolate specific types of yeast several hundreds of years ago, which is why starters were so important. If you had a good starter, ideally, as long as you kept it alive you could make good bread. Armies couldn't just carry around entire loaves of bread but with a few starters, flour, salt and water, they could help feed a vast amount of people on the go.
>>
Yeast is bacteria. We literally eat bacteria
>>
>>7261935
Fungus =/= bacteria
>>
>>7261796
It's a fungus and is present everywhere - in the air, on the skins of fruits, tree bark etc.
>>
File: sourdough-open1.jpg (80KB, 490x615px) Image search: [Google]
sourdough-open1.jpg
80KB, 490x615px
This article should answer most of your questions.

https://stavvers.wordpress.com/2015/11/23/im-making-sourdough-with-my-vaginal-yeast/
>>
>>7261945
this is why you never eat sourdough made by a woman
rather just don't trust females
>>
>>7261821
aye nigga one time i fucked some anon's mum and she had a yeast infection but i didnt smell it cause i was sick. now i have to fap with antifungal cream
>>
>>7261961

good goyim.. stay away from women.. never reproduce
>>
>>7261945
What the fuck is wrong with women?
>>
>>7261796
Yeast spores occur naturally in the air almost everywhere and also in flour. So when some neolithic gatherer decided to mix his grains with water he would have noticed it puffed up. And when he threw his ruined picking in the fire he would be amazed that it was actually delicious.

Ever heard of sourdough? Exactly the same idea. Pre-packaged yeast is just used for ease and reliability.
>>
>>7261945
Looks pretty decent. She must be harbouring seriously hyperactive microorganisms
>>
>>7261796
It's a fungus, it eats proteins and produces CO2.
>>
File: 1364742397570.jpg (42KB, 720x439px) Image search: [Google]
1364742397570.jpg
42KB, 720x439px
>>7261945
>>
File: PC100003.jpg (1MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
PC100003.jpg
1MB, 3456x4608px
>>7261796
>yeast
You can do wonderful things with it!
>>
>>7262221
>it eats proteins
You sure?
>>
It is a living organism that makes alcohol. It can be our best friend or our worst enemy.
>>
>>7261796
I mix in brewer's yeast with my cat's cat food so that they eat it more.
>>
>>7261945
She should have made beer with it instead. I bet she could have got a nice sour lambic out of it.
>>
>>7261796
People have already explained some of it, but yeast has been sold as it's own product for thousands of years. Brewers were typically the people who sold yeast, which they made by mixing the foam scraped from the top of their fermentation vats with water and flour. This would either be sold as a liquid, or dried in salt and sold as a solid dry mass which would be crushed or shaved with a grater and mixed into bread dough.
>>
yo what the fuck IS meat? like i know how to use it in recipes and what it does, but how is it made? how did people use it in recipes thousands of years ago? cuz i don't think they went down to tesco and bought a pack of sausages.
>>
>>7264702
They harvested it from meat trees of course.
>>
>>7261796
>>7261905
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06vn7sj
>>
File: genocide.jpg (277KB, 1024x1365px) Image search: [Google]
genocide.jpg
277KB, 1024x1365px
Yeast are eukaryotes and we use them as slaves to bake bread and make alcohol. Then we kill and dispose of them without so much as a "thank you" or even some kind of deferential ritual of respect that some hunters carry out when killing an animal. When I homebrew wine I always say thank you to the yeast I murder when I dump a teaspoon of sodium metabisulphite into my fermenter.

To put things another way, even PETA doesn't give a shit about eukaryotes.
>>
>>7264716
Animals are eukaryotes too you dip.
>>
>>7264659
I mean he's not technically wrong. They do consume protein. It's just not their primary energy source.
>>
>>7264728
All living things except bacteria and archae are eukaryotes(b/a are prokaryotes=no membrane bound organelles). Yeast are under fungi making them eukaryotes(has membrane bound organelles).
>>7264716

PETA is retarded but the last line seems to imply animals are not eukaryotes when they are.
>>
>>7261935
Yeast is fungi but we do literally eat bacteria since bacteria is on everything, but we eat large amounts in certain fermented foods like yogurt, kefir, etc. Not really weird. A lot of food is made with bacteria as well like vinegar etc. but those things usually have the bacteria cooked.
>>
>>7264712
>meat trees

Mexican Army patrol was attacked when they approached what they thought was a meat tree. When they came crawling back they were asked if they made it to the meat tree. They replied, "eet was not a meat tree, eet was a ham bush."
>>
>>7261935
>We literally eat bacteria

"The bacteria cells in our body outnumber human cells 10 to 1... they account only about 1 to 2 percent of our body mass"

eh
>>
>>7261935
Your stomach is literally filled with bacteria. Or else you'd be dead.
>>
Speaking of all this yeast, I have been making lacto-fermented pickles. But it seems I'm often low on lacto-bacteria.

I have been wondering if I had a pussy to stick my hand in, it that would get my pickles going a little better.
>>
>>7261945
>literally a page called "Please give me money"
>"I'm a cunt and burned all the bridges from previous jobs and now I have a hard time getting work in the field oh my god life is hard!"

Imagine if she wasn't just a cunt and could rely on previous workplaces to give her work when she needs it?
>>
>>7266520
Pussy and beer make everything better.
>>
>>7261945
NOOOOOOOOO
>>
File: yeast.jpg (60KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
yeast.jpg
60KB, 400x300px
You really need to watch Good Eats
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.