[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Veganism
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /ck/ - Food & Cooking

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 6
File: vegan-icon.jpg (90 KB, 334x334) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
vegan-icon.jpg
90 KB, 334x334
Why is it good/bad?
>>
>good
It's like atheism. It's a great way to get people to start thinking for themselves. Questioning my faith only made it stronger, and for that I'm thankful. Thank you, atheism!

Try meatless Mondays. Falafel is good, hummus is good. But never, ever stop eating delicious barbecue, burgers, and fried chicken.

>bad
Like atheism, some people never come back. They take it to its extreme.
>>
You didn't need to start this thread again.

Check the catalog next time.
>>
>>7260747
>but never, ever stop eating delicious barbecue, burgers, and fried chicken

What the fuck is this lardass propaganda?

It is food - a means to fuel and nourish your body, Putting plants at the base of your diet is almost always good for you. And eating an excess of anything is usually bad.

Assuming an ideal human diet is based on vegetables with supplemented with moderate protein and fat and plenty of carbs when needed, vegan and omnivore diets should hardly vary. Either you eat meat and eggs and yogurt or you eat grains and legumes etc. Eating shittons of meat will shorten your life anyway.
>>
>>7260747

>it's like atheism

But atheism is the norm.

Vegans are more like religious fanatics who blindly follow something that they for whatever reason believe will make their lives better, and often feel the need to shout it at everyone they come in contact with.
>>
>>7260818

Holy shit the irony.

Veganism is good because it's cheap and difficult to badly fuck up whatever you're cooking. It's bad because some flavours are only possible with animal products.
>>
Better for the environment. Uses a lot less water to produce plants vs raise livestock.
>>
>>7260818
>But atheism is the norm.
no it isn't
>>
>>7260969

It is in first world countries.
>>
>>7260980
it's not
>>
File: countries1.jpg (162 KB, 1484x1164) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
countries1.jpg
162 KB, 1484x1164
>>7260991
other than usa it is
>>
>>7261094
"not religious" and "atheist" isn't the same thing
>>
>>7261178

Of course it is...
>>
>>7261094

If you cut out the South, which is kind of it's own thing anyways, America would be in the red.
>>
>>7261190
atheism is the belief that there is no god, not religious means you don't follow a specific religion. they're not the same thing. you can believe in god without following a religion.
>>
File: athiest.png (10 KB, 519x187) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
athiest.png
10 KB, 519x187
>>7261195
>>
>>7261195
>>7261178
"Claiming to be not religious or ATHEIST"
>>
>>7261195
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism#Europe

Here you go, knock yourself out.
>>
>>7261195

"Not religious" just means secular, as in I go about my business without even thinking about religion, but if asked would probably say I'm atheist, because god/religion plays no part in my life.

The amount of people who don't follow a specific religion but "consider themselves spiritual" is insignificant.
>>
>>7261211
>>7261215
yeah, it's not the same thing
>>7261216
> 20% that "they do not believe there is a spirit, God, nor life force"
>20% is the norm
>>7261219
>The amount of people who don't follow a specific religion but "consider themselves spiritual" is insignificant.
>26% answered that "they believe there is some sort of spirit or life force"
if you consider this as not following a religion but considering themselves spiritual, it's still 6% more than people who completely deny it all
>>
>>7261195
either way, neither ascribe to a particular religious group or system of faith, which is the point of the pic
>>
>>7261234
>20% is the norm

20% is the average across all of the EU & EEC, which includes Eastern Europe. In most of the Western European countries, the number of people who do not believe there is larger than the number of people who believe in God. In some countries it's almost twice as many.
>>
>>7260704
Its inane because it limits your choices. Go ahead and eat vegan foods. Hell, primarily eat vegan friendly foods if you want, but you're a dumbass to turn down free pizza because it has pepperoni
>>
>>7261259
>In most of the Western European countries, the number of people who do not believe there is larger than the number of people who believe in God.
france has the highest number of atheists but there are still more people who believe in god or believe in something
>>
File: shift-em2.jpg (439 KB, 1600x1064) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
shift-em2.jpg
439 KB, 1600x1064
>>7261270
>or believe in something
>>
i'm a vegetarian by choice for moral reasons such as greenhouse gas emissions and animal cruelty

i don't eat eggs/dairy milk nor i do cook with them but i don't mind buying/eating foods that contain them

i think i have a good balance of eating morally but not making my lifestyle inconvenient or unenjoyable
>>
>>7261261
>not just picking the pepperoni off and blotting away the grease

Eh picky vegetarians are the problem mostly

I'm a vegetarian in the Army. When we go to the field in May I'm going to try to stay veggie, because we're just a hospital unit. But if I'm actually out doing shit I need calories I'll just suspend it for that two weeks.
>>
>>7261273
the goalposts were shifted when starting to claim "atheist" is the same as "not religious"

the original argument was atheism is the norm, and it's not. believing in something means you're not an atheist.
>>
>>7261299
>believing in something means you're not an atheist.

"Something" could be Scientology or Mystic Animal Spirits.

As you say, "atheist" is not the same as "not religious", so "belief" is not the same as "abrahamic monotheism"
>>
I'd say the strongest argument is the enviromental one but I'm not an enviromental person. I was a vegetarian for about a year but I felt pretty bad without meat
>>
There are plenty of atheistic religions.
>>
>>7261312
A growing percentage of jews are atheist. I've heard of atheists in vatican city too.
>>
File: js.jpg (384 KB, 600x450) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
js.jpg
384 KB, 600x450
>Exposure, plain and simple. Scientists tell us that aversions fade away when we eat moderate doses of the hated foods at moderate intervals, especially if the food is complex and new to us. (Don't try this with allergies, but don't cheat either: few of us have genuine food allergies.) Exposure works by overcoming our innate neophobia, the omnivore's fear of new foods that balances the biological urge to explore for them. Did you know that babies who are breast-fed will later have less trouble with novel foods than those who are given formula? The variety of flavors that make their way into breast milk from the mother's diet prepares the infant for the culinary surprises that lie ahead. Most parents give up trying novel foods on their weanlings after two or three attempts and then complain to the pediatrician; this may be the most common cause of fussy eaters and finicky adults--of omnivores manqués. Most babies will accept nearly anything after eight or ten tries.
>>
>>7261318
http://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/features/can-you-be-an-atheist-priest
>>
>>7261324
>Don't try this with allergies,

New research shows you should try this with allergies. A mild reaction will often go away after 10 exposures, whereas if children are not continually introduced, they can develop deadly reactions.
>>
>>7261331

That was written in the 80's but is still apt as fuck.
>>
>>7261289
Thank you for not being the cancer. I mostly keep vegetarian myself, but if I'm at a restaurant with a bad meatless menu, or eating over at a friend's place, I'm having their steak and fries. Its fucking rude to refuse the meal they slaved over, and I don't want them to change their main course just because I'm there.
>>
>The more I contemplated food phobias, the more I became convinced that people who habitually avoid certifiably delicious foods are at least as troubled as people who avoid sex, or take no pleasure from it, except that the latter will probably seek psychiatric help, while food phobics rationalize their problem in the name of genetic inheritance, allergy, vegetarianism, matters of taste, nutrition, food safety, obesity, or a sensitive nature.
>>
>>7261346
Why don't I like olives? I eat pretty much everything. The only dish I don't eat is pizza
>>
File: 1449179263080.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1536) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1449179263080.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1536
>>7261379

>why don't I like olives
>the only dish I don't eat is pizza

I'd recommend trying them with anchovies.
>>
it's fine, just don't act like your better than everyone else
>>
>>7261346
I don't cook with meat because its expensive, and I avoid meat as much as possible, because i know i like it and will want it more. Are my choices of poverty in fact a phobic condition?
>>
>>7261458
Same. I end up eating more vegetarian dishes just because lack of meat and it being expensive. Don't really mind it at all tbqh
>>
>>7261344
>Its fucking rude to refuse the meal they slaved over

Probably more rude to cook food you know someone does not eat
>>
>>7261346
No anon, people who literally cant live without their comfort food are more troubled. And I'm not even a vegetarian.

Get your sensory pleasure on a leash you big baby.
>>
>>7261495
>Cooking for a group of 6 people
>One is a special snowflake
>It's rude not to tailor the menu for all six people to suit the special snowflake, or to cook an extra meal just for the special snowflake

Yeah, nah.
>>
>>7261346

You're the one who's hiding from reality. Calling veganism a phobia ignores what it really is- an ideology And if not eating meat is an ideology, then choosing to do so is one as well. Carnism is easy to do when you don't think about it, which you normally never have to in modern society, but it is the belief that it's perfectly OK to rape, torture and murder billions of animals for the sake of convenience and pleasure.

Anyways, on the topic of the thread, one of the downsides of veganism is that you become a stuck up cunt, apparently.
>>
>>7261344

> Is this meat kosher?
> Oh my god, Doron, can you not be Jewish for one night?

> are there any peanuts in this dish?
> oh, I need to cater to you because YOU have a peanut allergy

> I don'y feel comfortable eating food with your cum inside of it
> Alright, I guess I'll just have leftovers for the month now.

If someone won't do the bare minimum to accommodate your beliefs, they're not worth being polite to. Just because being veg is a choice doesn't make it any less of a belief than anything else.
>>
>>7261541
>Is this meat kosher?

No. Eat it or leave it.

>are there any peanuts in this dish?

No because I knew about your allergy and don't need to hassle of calling an ambulance for me, and peanuts are rare enough as an ingredient that it's trivial for me to avoid them.

>I don'y feel comfortable eating food with your cum inside of it

Why would you? Only someone being weirdly hyperbolic in a sad attempt to prove a point they think they have would suggest someone should eat food made from bodily fluids.
>>
The upside of veganism is that your food holds a lot longer in storage.

If you broke like me and have to buy your meat from the supermarket, it usually is already like a week past its prime when you take it home, let alone if you don't feel like cooking it the day you buy it.

On the other hand, you can have beans in the cupboard as long as you want.
>>
>>7261306
But the mystic spirit animals are theist, and I'm pretty sure scientology has some form of a god in it.
>>
>>7261583
>the mystic spirit animals are theist

No, that would be mystic god animals. Spirits are not gods.
>>
>>7261504
Exactly this. Even if its just me and them, I'd rather them making food they're comfortable with preparing. When I started cutting meat out of my diet, I found it difficult to make vegetarian recipes that actually tasted good. unless its a medical requirement, it's a choice of personal opinion.
When I prepare food for others, I cook vegetarian, and likewise it'd be rude for them to complain about the fact that it doesn't have meat. That being said, I haven't received any complaints about anything I've made since I've stopped telling them beforehand that it doesn't have meat.
>>
>>7261541
>is this meat kosher?
Fuck off, i'm not a jew, so even if I followed kosher procedures, it isn't kosher.

>are there any peanuts in this dish?
No because I want to have dinner with my friend, not his corpse

>I don't feel comfortable eating food with your cum inside it
That makes sense, I don't want you to catch my sti's anyways
>>
>>7261668
>>7261548
I was pointing out that there's a double standard between veganism/vegetarianism and other dietary restrictions, but I guess the point was lost on you two edgelords. Regular decent people would consider the host in those examples rude as fuck, but if it was a matter of vegetarianism, the vegetarian would have to be the one who is accommodating and polite.
>>
>>7261727
>there's a double standard between veganism/vegetarianism and other dietary restrictions

Except there isn't, but I guess the subtlety of voluntary v's involuntary is lost on you.

>Regular decent people would consider the host in those examples rude as fuck

Only if we accept your examples as valid. Which they are not.
>>
>>7261504
>>7261630
Quit blaming other people for being an ineffectual cook who bases all his shitty meals on steak or chicken.
>>
>>7261741
>Being a special snowflake
>WAAA, CODDLE ME! GIVE ME ATTENTION!

Nah.
>>
>>7261731
Religion is just a life choice. Choosing to be a practising Muslim is as much a choice as being vegetarian, and from every viewpoint many times more idiotic.
>>
>>7261747
Nice rebuff. Do you serve that with your well done steak and ketchup?
>>
>>7261750
>Choosing to be a practising Muslim is as much a choice as being vegetarian

It is, yes, and as a non-Muslim I wouldn't chose to serve Halal food just to appease one guest out of six.
>>
>>7261755
But fortunately you'll never make enough friends to know that problem
>>
>>7261755
The majority of people would consider you an asshole, then.
>>
>>7261754
Why are you so buttblasted? Meat & fish are both excellent anchor proteins for any dish that are massively versatile. Chicken stock is a basic ingredient in most savoury sauces. Why would I artificially restrict my ingredients just to please one special snowflake who'll cry if I use chicken stock in the risotto?
>>
>>7260704
it's bad because it turns otherwise decent people into pretentious, holier-than-thou, fucktards

i'm at the top of the food chain, and I prefer to enjoy every minute of it!
>>
>>7261763
>Chicken stock is a basic ingredient in most savoury sauces
Hahahahahaha
>>
>>7261761
It's ironic that in a vegan thread, someone would call me an asshole for not serving kosher or halal slaughtered meat in a dish.

Even as a meat eater I find kosher and halal slaughter disgusting and I avoid it, because it's unnecessary.

Having said that I'm not going to cry like a little bitch if I went for dinner and someone else chose to prepare a kosher meal. Because I don't expect them to accommodate me.
>>
>>7261764
You. You are why vegans become holier-than-thou fucktards. Hearing lame ass excuses to not do something good for the world every single day makes us cynical to the majority of the population and treat them like children.
>>
>>7261792
>good for the world

What if it turns out you didn't make much of a difference? At least you tried? At least you had good intentions?

I don't know. I feel like if I'm not selfish, someone else will be. I don't go out of my way to pollute, but I'm not sure if I was put on this earth to save it.
>>
>>7260704
Good: eat more veggies.

Bad: Requires special attention to nutrient intake or subtle health problems occur.
Part of a deceptive plan to sour public opinion on capitalism and western values.
Full of non-science and divisive politics.
Pushed by shitty, arrogant assholes.
>>
>>7261887
>Part of a deceptive plan to sour public opinion on capitalism and western values.

what
>>
>>7261898
It's a part of the animal rights/environmentalism branch of critical theory.
>>
>>7261958
Environmentalism isn't all Gaia worshipers and sun eaters. Vegans aren't all militaristic faggots, either. Why is /ck/ more full of shitheads than the rest of 4chan, to the point where this is considered board culture by some? Cancer
>>
>>7261980

Vegans are pretty much brony-tier shitposters when given free reign post anonymously online, and are almost as defensive and "persecuted" as the fake religious trolls who pretend atheism is nothing but fedora 13 year old's being edgy.
>>
>>7261992
but it is, sorry you had to sit in a church growing up and now your mad
>>
I switched vegetarian at the start of the year, and it feels good and is easier than I thought.
I don't see myself becoming vegan tho, and I kinda feel bad for that...
>>
>>7261999

As has already been said in this very thread, most civilized countries are secular, and most people only call themselves "atheist" if they are for some reason asked.

The majority of people simply don't even think about "god" or religion, unless they come from a place of poverty and ignorance.

Many vegans act like religious fanatics because they're grasping for anything to make themselves feel better about their lives.
>>
>>7261261
>Its inane because it limits your choices.
I don't like eating living beings, and I think it's more insane to think we have the right to be superior to any other life form, treat it like shit, and eat it. It seems normal but it's not.
>>
>>7261980
>Why is /ck/ more full of shitheads than the rest of 4chan,
Because it isn't, unless you just hang out on those classy boards that get like 3 posts a month and are only visited by middle aged men. Basically everyone under the age of 25 thinks it's cool to foam at the mouth with rage over veganism.
>>
>>7262017
The number of shrill preachy atheists I encounter and the number of shrill preachy vegans I encounter went down sharply when I left the college campus environment.

Just relax, and enjoy the ocean of easy casual sex with attractive young women who don't ask a bunch of thinly veiled questions about your income and net worth as a prerequisite for sex. Don't worry too much about the annoying people, it's a small price to pay.
>>
>>7262034

I graduated in '07.

Apparently I'm out of touch.
>>
>>7260704
Actually detrimental to your health but so are most eating habits.
>>
>>7262177
Absolute propaganda.

There is no inherent detriment from being vegan just like there isn't from eating meat. Why are you people so fanatical against another supposedly fanatical group?
>>
>>7262109
yes you are
>>
>>7261346
Mate I'm a veggie because of other reasons than a poor palette, meat is fucking tasty.
>>
>>7262024
it may very well be insane to set out to eat living beings, it's inane to limit your choices.
>>
its meme
>>
>>7261741
I blame them for the fact that they can't cook without meat?
I cook veggie myself. I can do it well, but I don't expect others to have the same skill set because I'm not an asshole. I know my Chinese friends would rather me serve them a mushroom pasta dish than shitty dim sum, and I'd rather eat their murder-filled jiaozi than whatever vegetarian-friendly abomination they fumble together
>>
>>7261750
Yes, a complete set of philosophical ideals and beliefs, shaped by culture for many generations, is on the same level of depth and complexity as "animals have feelings too!".

>>7261727
>but if it was a matter of vegetarianism, the vegetarian would have to be the one who is accommodating and polite
Lmao, I am accommodating and polite because I make my decision based on my subjective ideas about morality, rather than on a complex set of beliefs. I don't believe in hell, but I could understand if you believe consuming the holiest of all foods, the chickpea, would give you a one way ticket down, I'm not gonna make you eat my world class 5 star falafel; religion is a little bit more involved. Besides, you may always politely decline the dinner invitation.

>>7261761
What am I supposed to do when one guest is a jew, and one of my best friends, who was raised in a speciest cult, teaching both that being digested is the ultimate shame, and that of all lifeforms on this earth, pigs are the most degenerate beings and it is a religious duty to avoid disgracing other, more worthy beings whenever possible? Its simple, I'll cook them my tofu stirfry for lunch, I'll eat Ezra's brisket for dinner, and sunday bacon brunch with Gary.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 6
Thread DB ID: 420065



[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.