[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What got you into cooking?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

File: inspiration-sign.jpg (47KB, 500x303px) Image search: [Google]
inspiration-sign.jpg
47KB, 500x303px
What got you into cooking?
>>
Needing to eat, and liking good food.
>>
This board :^)
>>
>>7246420
Mum was chef, whole family big into food. Learn to cook from babby. Was a welder/fabricator originally, had a big bike crash, fucked up left side of chest. Couldn't do metalwork anymore, needed new career. Realised I like to cook, may as well make money from it. Never looked back.
>>
:Food ^ Network. )
>>
Anorexia
>>
I wish to feed myself like any other human being that isn't a neckbeard
>>
>>7246420
When I was growing up I went to a babysitter every day after school until I was 11. We were only allowed to watch PBS and the only ones I would watch were Mr Rogers and the Frugal Gourmet. Frugal Gourmet would air before dinner time and I would be super hungry so I was enthralled. About the time I turned 8 I started helping my mom cut veg in the kitchen

So the pedo from Tacoma got me into it
>>
Hungry, gay, don't play sport i guess.
>>
Action Bronson
>>
>>7246420
the mother and the hunger
>>
>>7246420
Cooking shows. I tried Alton Brown and he's a bit too childish for me with his skits and shit, but then you see somebody like Ramsay who is over the top most of the time and you don't want to be involved in that.
but then Master Chef was so good. I thought, "this faggot with tattoos and piercings is making food these chefs like? i can do that"
>>
After I got off Ritalin. I discovered food tastes amazing. So I taught myself to be able to cook when I was hungry. Which was often since I didn't have my appetite suppressed.
>>
I realized the only thing I knew how to do in the kitchen was boil an egg properly, and I stepped up my game by asking older relatives to show me how to cook
>>
>>7247902

I was on Adderall for close to a decade, and the day I ran out was during a butchery course in culinary school.

On that particular day the instructor broke down a whole lamb, and was super excited that parts of it were going green (so that we could see an example of meat that was spoiled, and not simply oxidized).

My heightened appetite was not a good thing that day.
>>
>>7246420
Growing up poor
>>
Being poor as shit and only being able to afford basic ingredients like rice and oats. It was either learn to cook or starve at that point.

Once I started making money, I bought better ingredients and made different things.
>>
I need to eat and a lot of foods can't be eaten raw. Or they just taste better when cooked. Never really got into cooking, to be honest. It's just something that needs to be done.
>>
no idea .. i think the obvious could maybe be watching my parents.
>>
I love food. My parents were middle-upper class and my dad is somewhat of a glutton, so we ate out multiple times a week -- but they have good taste in food. My mother cooked every day of the week up until shortly before I moved out (also before they went broke; my dad was a home builder and the housing market went to shit). Eventually I recognized that I could make similar or better quality food at home than what I had eating at decent restaurants at a fraction of the cost. It's sort of developed from there
>>
a basic knowledge of food allowing me to shitpost constantly on this board
>>
>>7248853
You don't need any knowledge to do that here
>>
>>7246420
My gf at the time was and is a horrible cook.
>>
Single mom only child. Mom worked double shift so I had to learn to cook, and eventually started to enjoy it.
>>
>>7246420
incredibly abusive household, bullied at school and constantly sexually abused by friends

pretty much eating was the only pleasant experience i had, so i learned to cook as a way to distract myself

now that i'm an adult and self sufficient and happy, it's still very useful ofc
>>
>>7246420
I wandered in here looking for /co/ and they shut the door before I could get out!
>>
Growing up I never got a saying on what I'll eat, when I'll eat or how much I'll eat, because my mother is a controlling psycho.

When I started living alone I discovered I could choose to eat tasty things, and quite often make them.
>>
I got hungry and I was cold when my parents dumped me with a bunch of wolves. Figured out warming up the meat they brought me and eating it helped satiate my hunger and warm me up.
>>
you guys got me into cooking. thanks, /ck/
>>
>>7246420
Eating tasty food and cooking for friends and family. I've perfected my fish pie and various soup recipes.
>>
>go to uni
>have to cook for self
>look up recipes
>realise mother has been cooking everything wrong all my life
>mfw steak actually does taste nice
>>
creating

serving

in my single digits, maybe seven or so
>>
>>7249011

fish pie recipe please
>>
>>7248894
Awww.
>>
File: 1448033556936.jpg (19KB, 439x293px) Image search: [Google]
1448033556936.jpg
19KB, 439x293px
>>7248894
Cheer up pussy.
>>
Neccesity. My mother was an awful cook and underfed me, I eventually learned to cook myself. I would have learned earlier so I wouldn't have to eat her garbage, but she was a hoarder who blamed everyone else for making messes (that she made) and didn't want me to "make a mess in the kitchen"

Eventually she tried some of the food I was making and that shut her the fuck up, which is probably one of the warmest memories I have of her because she actually respected me then.
>>
desperation and necessity
>>
I don't think I could spend too much time and energy for something "useless". Cooking is perfect, it's fun, you can be creative, you can try hard, there is an unlimited amount of recipes and techniques to learn, and, well, you get to eat during the process.
>>
Moving out on my own and being a cheapass. cooking is so much cheaper.
>>
Seeing stuff I wanted to have on TV shows got me interested, then getting annoyed at conflicting advice and wive's tales got me into actually learning about it properly instead of following recipes.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.