[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

first time ever posting on /ck/ I have recently become interested

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: sous vide.jpg (3MB, 2564x3051px) Image search: [Google]
sous vide.jpg
3MB, 2564x3051px
first time ever posting on /ck/

I have recently become interested in purchasing a sous vide cooker. Can you guys give me some suggestions with what brand/model to get as well as other materials (container/vacuum, plastic bags if not any will do, etc).

My budget is roughly $200 I can go a little over if I need to.

I plan on getting a blow torch as well but that is not included in the 200 budget as I will probably get that with the next paycheck or something. When that time comes, what is a good blow torch if any in the $20 range?

thanks for any and all help
>>
anyone have any experience/suggestions?
>>
hopeful bump
>>
anyone?

sorry if i'm being impatient i frequent /v/ and sadly enough /b/ so I'mused to fast paced boards idk how /ck/ generally goes being my first time on here
>>
one more bump, might try again another time if no replies
>>
why do you want to cook your food in a plastic bag?

does this not seem a little fucked up to you?
>>
>>7241230
Hey man I got nothing to add but I feel bad for you lol
>>
I have an Anova one, it's pretty nice. I don't see the point of paying for the wifi version unless you leave the house or something lol
>>
Get the Anova, they are often discounted to around $150 (if not they are like $170 on amazon). Does everything you need to it to.

You can skip the torch and vacuum, you don't need them. A cast iron pan will do a better job than the torch and you can just use freezer bags while using the water displacement method to seal them instead of a vacuum(there is no difference unless you buy an expensive vacuum).

The only thing you probably want to buy is a big container if you want to make more than one thing at once (stockpots aren't big enough). I recommend something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Cambro-12189CW135-Polycarbonate-Storage-Camwear/dp/B002NQB63E/?tag=serieats-20&link_code=ur2&creative=9325&camp=211189

might want to get a lid too
>>
>>7241236
nah what seems fucked up to me is paying more than 20 dollars for a good 14oz steak anywhere around me. I want to buy my own steak, cook it to a perfectly distributed uniform temp, and then burn the outside with a blow torch. costly up front but then i can buy my own prime cuts and make perfect steaks forever

>>7241237
no prob man, /ck/ isn't the only place on the internet I can go to get some sous vide guidance

>>7241240
yeah and even if I leave the house I would just throw the steak in beforehand and so its ready when I get home. how much did the anova set ya back? can you link me to your model?
>>
seems like a meme cooker waste of time unless you like to cook ultra rare recipes for you and your wives son all the time?

anyway good luck ma'am
>>
>>7241243
thanks for the input man. two questions though, water displacement method? I assume thats like lowering the bag in to the water before sealing it?

second, with a lid, how would that work? can you buy lids that are fitted around the sous vide cooker? doesnt the cooker stick way out of the container?
>>
>>7241254
>you and your wives son
>ma'am

???

I'm a single man lol
>>
>>7241247
if you need to sous vide a prime cut...

>maybe you need to learn a bit more about how to cook
>>
>>7241265
well i dont have a grill, and buying a nice grill is out of the question financially. what else would you suggest?
>>
>>7241270
cast iron pan
>>
>>7241258
Yeah you're right about the method.

and with the lid, they have ones with sliding doors that make it able to fit (you could always just tape something on top too). The only time you would really run into trouble is when you're cooking for long periods and too much water evaporates.
>>
Boil in the bag cooking is for uncle ben
You fucking ignorant meme spouting faggots
>>
>>7241276
>it's a meme because I say it is
>>
>>7241265
Sous vide>grilled

You can even grill after cooking sous vide.
>>
File: 9408.jpg (118KB, 724x800px) Image search: [Google]
9408.jpg
118KB, 724x800px
>>7241284
why the fuck would you grill after sous vide you fucking loser?

grill .. or be a meme and sous vide

i bought this weber smokey joe for under $50 and it delivers charcoal grilled deliciousness that no faggot submerged tepid baggy could ever provide
>>
>>7241293
It doesn't "deliver" anything. Stop spouting memes.
>>
>>7241293
It's the whole reverse sear concept. You slow cook the meat first to get it up to the level of doneness you want, then quickly sear it right before slicing/serving.

I do the same thing when I make prime rib, not sous vide specifically but I roast it in a low oven at 250 until it hits the internal temp I want, then let it rest and stick it back in the oven for 10 mins at 550 to sear and crisp up the outside.

You end up with less of that band of gray, overcooked meat on the outside of the roast or steak than you tend to get if you sear it first and then then finish in the oven.
>>
>>7241293
lol

just because you can't afford it doesn't make it a meme
>>
>>7241321
>can't afford it

poorfag detected
>>
>>7241321
sorry i don't extract any joy from cooking my meats in a baggy in tepid water
>>
>>7241175
You don't need a sous-vide machine though.

Instaread thermometer, cooler, and a hot water kettle.

>fill cooler with warm water three quarters of the way
>adjust temperature with the kettle water
>when it's where you want, put the meat in (bagged, naturally)
>close cooler, walk away
>come back half an hour later, add more hot water to adjust temp
>now leave it as long as needed
>pull from the water bath, let it rest
>sear it in a pan

That $100 you saved can be put to a better use.
>>
>>7241394
what size cooler would you say?
>>
>>7241399
Depends how big your food is. You can do a fucking prime rib this way, but you need an absurd cooler for that purpose. What's your game plan?
>>
>wants to buy a meme vide and a blowtorch
>can't buy a grill because "too poor"
>he thinks cooking food in a plastic bag and blowtorching it is better than a regular multi purpose grill

Your fedora is way too tight, you fucking neckbeard.
>>
>>7241175
https://www.chefsteps.com/joule
use this one + ziploc. it makes cooking basically impossible to fuck up.
>>
I have the anova sous vide. Its pretty interesting, sous pork usually. The pork always turns out so tender and juicy that its kind of spooky. Did some new your strip the other night, turned out fantastic.

its not necessary, just another way to cook. Especially if you feel like being lazy. works wonders
>>
>>7241236
>>7241254
>>7241265
>>7241276
>>7241293
>>7241344
>>7241419
Go back to your ramen and taco bell threads.
>>
>>7241293
It's almost like it's a different cooking method for a different result. But you knew that, didn't you, anon?
>>
>>7241293
Ur faggot
>>
>>7241494
You caught me. But it is too late. You, and this entire thread, have been infected by the Gay.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.