I'm planning on making some waffles this Sunday and I'm wondering what some great things are to put on/in them aside from the usual blueberries or chocolate chips. What are some of your favorite things to have with your waffles?
This is fantastic, I make coconut - pineapple waffles pretty regularly.
Also, if you like savory waffles, adding minced crispy bacon and some shredded cheese to the batter is good.
You can also turn waffles into Waffle Eggs Benedict. That's pretty boss. I did that for a brunch once, and made savory herbed waffles, then topped them with sauteed garlic spinach, pan fried canadian bacon, poached eggs, and hollandaise. It's not something you'd want to eat on a regular basis though, or you'll be Fatty McFatterson in no time.
One of my all time favorite toppings for waffles is fruit and yogurt. Yogurt and waffles have a natural affinity for each other. Just make sure you buy good quality yogurt.
1) Pistachios and chocolate chips inside - strawberries and a sprig of mint on top
2) Ground cinnamon inside - caramelised apple slices and a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top
3) Vanilla and pearl sugar inside (Liège waffle) - optional thin sugar glaze or dusting of powder sugar
4) Standard waffle - jam and powder sugar on top
5) Non-sweet option: Top with fried chicken, honey mustard and sriracha
4) With raspberry jam is the best easy option, but 1) and 2) are my favourites.
In Belgium, the home of waffles, they typically only use the following toppings:
Dark chocolate drizzle