[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you be able to have fun if you went to a con alone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

File: CJKu_gsVAAAEJt8.jpg (115KB, 578x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CJKu_gsVAAAEJt8.jpg
115KB, 578x1024px
Would you be able to have fun if you went to a con alone?
>>
I always go to cons alone.

And no I don't have fun
>>
File: 4fc0x.gif (464KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
4fc0x.gif
464KB, 320x240px
>>9269597
Maybe I would now but my one experience of going alone was a disaster.
>was about 16 and in cosplay as Misa from Death Note (which was a skimpier costume that I probably should have been wearing to be fair)
>ended up taking to this dude in line who kept asking very invasive questions (asked me if I was alone at the con, if I was looking for a boyfriend, asked me if I liked hentai etc.)
>being a socially awkward kid I didn't know how to tell this guy to leave me alone and just kept laughing awkwardly or answering his questions
>ended up calling my mom after a few hours to pick me up from the con because he kept following me around and I was creeped out
>>
>>9269597
I go to cons alone because I don't have any friends. I find it fun enough, I like looking through artist alley and buying cute stuff, and seeing people's cosplays.
>>
I go to cons alone sometimes. It's not all bad but it's more fun with friends. It does give me a chance to branch out and make new friends though.
>>
I always go alone. Sometimes I meet people I know, sometimes I meet strangers, and sometimes I'm alone the whole time.

If I can't find anyone to be with, cons are pretty bad. If they have non-stop, semiobligatory programming, it can distract a bit, but it still sucks to go to every panel alone.

You may have some fun, but if you can't find a group willing to give you their weekend, it's pretty bad.
My best con experience is probably still that time I went alone, but met some people, and despite me messing up socially, they went out of their way to include me in their weekend. Almost five years later, ut's still one of my most precious memories, and sometimes I get teary eyed when I think about it.
>>
Used to do it all the time, and probably still could. I'd probably attend a lot more panels than i do now, where i usually go with my SO or a friend or two.
>>
Nope! Not unless you get super lucky and actually meet some people to be friends with. If anything, it is extremely depressing seeing everyone around you have fun while you sit there alone.
>>
I used to go to cons with my brother but he doesn't go to cons so now I just go alone...
I still have a fun time along though, but I get bored/panicked more often
>>
>>9269599
): aw, anon
>>
File: (You)s for all the lovely Anons.jpg (129KB, 578x1024px) Image search: [Google]
(You)s for all the lovely Anons.jpg
129KB, 578x1024px
>>9269599
Why do you keep coming back for more?

>>9269621
I feel like a lot of girls have this story on /cgl/. yuck.

>>9269626
>>9269636
>>9269647
>>9269669
Nice, nice.

>>9269644
That's kind of sad. You should've stayed in touch with those people or something.

>>9269664
Hmm, unfortunate.
>>
>>9269597
I only go if the one friend I attend cons with joins too, but I know I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself alone. I start getting extra self-aware and mildly paranoid whenever I'm alone anywhere. Also, I'm horrible at making friends.
>>
>>9269597
I've for the most part always went alone. It gets kinda boring and lonely sometimes, but for the most part it's still a good time. It's also a good opportunity to flex those "networking muscles" of yours....if you have any.

Note: This is coming from a guy that mostly goes to the gaming and dealer rooms and the con rave. I am not a good source of info about panels (though I have attended panels alone before and god does it suck).
>>
I've only gone alone once, and it was okay. I was too socially anxious to make any real friends, but I went to some neat panels, had a few nice conversations with strangers, and got a lot of compliments on my cosplay. I'd consider doing it again, especially now that I'm a bit better at turning quick conversations into friendships instead of getting anxious and running away asap.
>>
I've gone to a couple of cons alone. I had a good time. I'm a rather independent person so I like do things at my own pace. I didn't really have to worry about what other people wanted to do and I just did things on my own.

Even when I do go to cons with other people, I usually end up wandering off a bit on my own.
>>
Always go alone. Mostly for the anime.
Love looking at cosplayers, taking pictures, complimenting people.
Love the atmosphere, everyone being happy and nice.
Shopping and walking around.
Yup, best times. Am 45. Sad, I know
>>
File: CJUmCHEUEAEVz2d.jpg (109KB, 578x1024px) Image search: [Google]
CJUmCHEUEAEVz2d.jpg
109KB, 578x1024px
>>9269810
That's not sad. And it's actually encouraging to hear. I'm 24, and am hesitant to go to a con because a lot of stories on here about cons are about spastic/cringey/creepy younger people.
If someone older like you enjoys themselves, then I probably would to.
>>
It's not a bad experience to go alone. You can attend more panels, visit more booths, spend more time in the artist alley and you don't have to be dragged to things that don't interest you. And you can always meet new people to hang out with.
>>
It's clearly more expensive going alone, so if you end up having a rough time it's extra crushing paying for it.
I wouldnt go alone again, makes sense to me to try and get to know people over the social groups and then room together just if it totally sucks you can save some money.
>>
With some experience:
Con folks, in general, are introverted and insular. It's tough making new friends, most people there are automatically wary of strangers and shy away from social interaction.
>>
Honestly, I just room with friends and go out and do shit alone. My friends are either cosplaying in a group, and I'm the one left out since I like different shit, or I just feel bad having my socially retarded friend who strictly likes old anime and video games follow me around the con, so he just does his own thing.

But I enjoy watching people or getting stopped for my cosplays. I just don't socialize often with other cosplayers though, the ones around the Midwest scene are kind of superficial about things.
>>
I know for sure if I went alone I would be miserable if I wasn't cosplaying. I would rather go with friends but if I did go alone, I'd want to be in costume soI can use it as an easy conversation starter. I would choose a more well-known cosplay just to find other cosplayers I could meet and hang out with.
>>
>>9269815
op your images are killing me
>>
I did (one day the only people who I know at a con were... Cringy at best so I ditched them most of the day)
It's easy enough if you attend cosplay meets as people are much more social at them
>>
I sorta did, last con I went to I did go there with friends and had a couple other groups there I knew. But basically it turned into a solo con when no one wanted to do anything and/or ditched last minute when there was anything going on. Was a pretty great time actually 10/10 would solo con
>>
I've had fun going alone. You can do the things you want to do without compromise.
>>
>>9269745
>Why do you keep coming back for more?
So I can see all the pretty girls cosplaying and think that the burning envy will get me to change myself so I can be like them but I just stay at home and play video games for the rest of the year instead

And I like some panels
>>
I've been to cons alone before but I always met up with friends there so that defeats the purpose.

I'd actually like to go to a convention in a nice travel destination by myself just so I can enjoy the sights and try new foods whenever I get bored at the event.
>>
>>9269597
Probably. I always go with friends but it's pretty common for us to lose each other for a couple of hours at a time, or split off to go for separate events, so I could probably do that alone. Although desu I don't enjoy cons very much any more full stop because the standard of cosplay in my country is so low, so I'd probably enjoy then even less alone without anyone to riff on the costumes with.
>>
I actually prefer it. I love the freedom of being able to do whatever I want, and the mobility that comes with not having to keep track of a group.

Though if I'm in an elaborate cosplay, I'll admit that I prefer to buddy up with a good friend, as it's nice to have a "handler" to make sure all my straps are in place for photos, and to help protect and props during a con crowd crush.

But if I know I'll have a day/con free to myself (or friends who also love to wander around solo, and meet up later for dinner), I'll usually make sure to wear a simple cosplay, so I can run around and try new things! Usually I'll try to hit up a bunch of panels/screenings I'm interested in, a bunch of panels/screenings I randomly chose because the name sounded amusing, any cosplay meet-ups of series I like (even if you aren't cosplaying, everyone loves photos), check out the gaming room if they got one (especially if they have board games, that shit makes socialization ez with randos, or at least gives you a seat for your butt), and indulgently take my sweet time slowly walking through the dealers hall and shopping. If things get boring, there's always people watching!

Also, you get to get whatever the fuck you want for lunch, without having to deal with a Poorfag Paul, who only wants to eat pretzels and fast food fries the entire con. Or you can gorge on pretzels and fries yourself without your friends judging you, if you're into that sort of stuff.
>>
Most of the cons I've been to I went alone. In the early days I went with some friends but they've all moved on, since then I've only ever gone alone.

It can be fun but it's never as fun as going with people, but I say that as an extrovert who enjoys the company of others, so every con is bittersweet for me. In general, it's as fun as you make it for yourself - that applies whether you're alone or with others. In cosplay you've got a good chance of meeting more people because you're more approachable and have common ground, but in casual clothing there's no chance.

I've constantly reached out to people online to arrange meeting up with them at a con but understandably they don't want to just meet up with a random guy on the internet and stop replying a couple of days before the convention. I'm so used to seeing it that I know the pattern when it emerges a few weeks in advance, probably before they even realize it.

I always turn up at the time I know I'll be queuing for the longest in hopes I can make conversation with someone in the queue and tag along with them but it rarely happens and if it does we branch off awkwardly at the ticket booth. For all my extrovertedness I can't muster up the courage to actually ask if I can walk around with someone, it always sounds too desperate and I don't want to come across as clingy.

I'm not ronery, I don't care about relationships or anything like that - I just want con friends. Even weeby fujoshi are totally fine, in fact I find those people to be really fun and there'd be a lot to talk about. I've thought about bringing a big picnic along and sitting outside with some cosplayers and sharing it all but I don't want to 'buy' my friends if that makes sense.
>>
>>9269597
>>9269745
>>9269815

What is she opening and what's the big deal?
>>
File: shrugu.jpg (98KB, 811x780px) Image search: [Google]
shrugu.jpg
98KB, 811x780px
I've been going to cons for close to 10 years now and I've usually gone alone. I've found I typically prefer to go by myself, never have to worry about your schedule clashing with anyone elses, no drama. Just a whole lot more chill.

Plus I've found I have an easier time meeting new people and making friends on my own, than if I'm already hanging out with someone. But that's all my personal experience, I'm sure other people might go to cons alone and hate it and feel like a total outsider and seeing all these other groups of people hanging out might just make them feel more lonely.
>>
>>9270710
The first two are eternally cursed with bad luck. The third is she-hulk strong. I dunno what the cup is, some kind of yogurt?
>>
>>9269597
I love it because I can do photos, drink, go to random panels, go to parties, and hang out. Its like, I am an independent agent able to be free
>>
File: 1440156442340.png (238KB, 665x720px) Image search: [Google]
1440156442340.png
238KB, 665x720px
>>9269597
I've only gone to cons alone. I like it
>>
File: weebjail.jpg (56KB, 840x630px) Image search: [Google]
weebjail.jpg
56KB, 840x630px
>>9269597
The best time I ever had at a con was alone.

Granted, I had some friends there, but I only saw them once or twice.

The best part of a con is meeting new people.
>>
>>9270788
The best part of this picture is the officer had no idea what the fuck was going on and just got asked to pose with these two.

source: person who was there when this happened.
>>
File: cup woes.png (2MB, 578x3075px) Image search: [Google]
cup woes.png
2MB, 578x3075px
OP I made u a thing
>>
>>9269597
I go to every con alone. No offline friends, and I don't go far enough to need a hotel room, and I can drive myself wherever in my own car.

I still have fun, a quiet and sensible kind of fun. There's a ton of stuff to see and do and I can go from place to place without worrying about someone else getting tired feet, or hungry, or bored, or dehydrated, or heatstroked. If I get hungry I can just grab something simple and eat on the run. There is a disadvantage where I would feel too awkward to go to a proper restaurant for lunch alone. Once in a blue moon I have small nice conversations with random strangers in lineups or after panels.
>>
>>9269599
Anon, that's so sad...

I love going to cons alone. I love having my own hotel room, my own schedule, and only having to worry about my own plans. You can easily make friends at a con. Hey, you're at a con- you have to have something in common already. I'm just so tired of not going to panels I want to go to because the people I'm rooming with or the people I drove with want to hang out.

>My thinking: We can hang out literally any other weekend. This is a con weekend. I want to do con things.
>Apparently everyone else's thinking: Must. Stay. Attached. At. Hip.
>>
>>9271009
"anon, cons aren't about doing con things! they're about spending quality tiiimmee togetherrrr"
>>
>>9271009
that's what I learned last con I went to, friends didn't give a shit about actually doing anything con related at a con so I ran around doing my own thing solo and loved it
>>
>>9269669
I used to go to cons with my brother also , but one time the day of the con I was getting ready and he said he didn't want to go I begged him to come but he said he was tired , so I went by taxi and train and another taxi to the con by myself
At 4am as it started at 9am I wanted to be there early and I did the same thing coming home it wasn't bad coming home on the train cause there were girls from the con on the train who I talked to but overall I had fun to but was also more worried and panicky
>>
>>9269597
I've only been to one con. It was "with friends" but we'd go our separate ways every morning and just meet back up to head back to the hotel room.

I had fun. It was a little lonely though.
>>
I only have one friend and she isn't in to cons she into things like twilight and 50 shades of grey and such two things I hate a specially twilight , so I go alone.
>>
Everytime except for 2 conventions. Going alone (AFAIK rn) to my first con where I actually cosplay. I want (more) friends (since none of my friends right now are into cosplay or anime for that matter) but I don't have any means of getting them. :(
>>
I've been to Japan Expo 3 times and the latter 2 of those times were alone(including hotel room/travel). I just make friends whilst there. I often have an idol group/performer I'll go see all the shows of so I'll start chatting with the Japanese fans that travel with them (I'm not fluent in French or Japanese but I find the Japanese fans get really happy/excited about foreign fan being interested in their idols so they make a big effort to chat and I know enough to get by).

For the local smaller ones I've never gone alone but I don't enjoy being in a large group. I like a small group that is happy to split off to do some things alone and won't pressure me into events I'm not interested in(I also won't pressure them, perfectly happy to be on my own for a few hours)
>>
I go alone all the time.
I am not even looking for a relationship, just friends and I treasure every small conversation I have with people at cons. I don't have friends so I cling to those memories as good times.

Big cons have guests and panels I go to and I have fun, but get sad with the groups of people having fun together and I can't share fun things together. People make fun of weebs, but I still envy them being stupid together.

I try to make small conversations with people and go to panels but it usually doesn't go far.
>>
I used to go alone/with friends who weren't attached at the hip. It was really relaxing since I could chat with people, go to group meetups without worrying about the time, and actually participate in con things. Now I miss it since the people I usually go with now are so high-maintenance and get passive aggressive if I wander off or eat alone for two seconds. I miss getting ready for cosplay on my own and not hearing snarky comments when I get up early to iron, brush my wig, etc.
>>
>>9270804
>>9270788

You nerds were at Otafest?
What you think of the new place?
>>
>>9269745
> >>9269644
>That's kind of sad. You should've stayed in touch with those people or something.

I think it may be a good thing that I haven't stayed in touch with them. Then I'd experience them trying to avoid me, or at least being dismissive, and that would ruin the good memories I have with them.
I actually did meet one of them a few times after. The first time I said hi, but since then, when we've seen each other, we've pretended we didn't know each other. Which I guess is fine. It has been a few years since last time now, though. And they declined my Facebook friend request. Any more, and it would have been really bad to my memories of the experience.
It was another person who was the most active in including me, though. Maybe it'd ruined it more if they were the person to decline my friend request.

Staying in touch, well I'm really bad at talking to people on Facebook, and the only person whose name I remembered was that other person who rejected my friend request.

We happened to live in the same town at the time, however. Maybe that was part of what kept me included in their group at the time. And I did have a delusional hope that we'd randomy meet at the store and end up in touch. But that never happened, obviously.

Conclusion:
staying in touch is impossible, because I rarely talk to people on Facebook, and am way too shy to ask for contact.
It'd also ruin our relationship, because they'd learn how bad of a person I am. It's nice to fantasize about what could have happened if I got to befriend them, but realistically I know that any closer relationship would have further ruined their impression of me, and tainted the good memories too with it.
I had a third point, but can't remember it.

A thing that really bothers me is that I lost my camera before the convention, so I have no pictures from the convention. and I remember thinking while I was there that I should have been able to take a picture.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.