[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: stock-market-stockrockandroll.jpg (329KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
stock-market-stockrockandroll.jpg
329KB, 1200x800px
How to get started in trading?

I dont actually wanna become the next Warren Buffett it's more a learning by doing thing for me to gain some knowledge on the financial market.

There are just so many possibilities that i have no idea where to start + some dangers(im looking at you leverages).

Best thing would be to have an investment banker buddy but i have none. Any books you can recommend? Websites? Youtube channels?

Any idea senpai?
>>
>>1083787
look up portfolio hedging strategies
>>
>>1083787
Investopedia has a lot of beginner tutorials that are really informative
>>
>>1083787
It really depends on what you mean by "trading".
90-some% of people don't have the sufficient time or resources to put toward real trading.

If it's investing you want though, then this >>1083875

It'll do for a beginner.
Just don't hang around these threads hoping to shortcut the fundamentals. There are countless shills lurking, making the noise hard to filter out.
>>
>>1083787
First, clarify what you mean by 'trading' like >>1083898 said.

Then use investopedia to gain a basic understanding of diff. markets (equities/bonds/commodities/currencies).

Reading blogs like ZeroHedge or articles from FT/Bloomberg will be difficult at first with little to no knowledge, but they're helpful for understanding what is important to know about. Eventually you'll also be able to understand what the articles are talking about pretty easily and can get good info from them.

Be careful with the news, though. It can be misleading and paint an incorrect picture in your head very easily. Don't trust everything you read. There's almost never one answer. (Good books on this would be Fooled by Randomness + Black Swan)

The best way to learn is to track daily price action. Make a spreadsheet every Monday like pic related. As you can see, I have different sectors + economic releases (important to understand what SOME of them mean and why they're important) + good reads from the week (largely from ZH)

Hope this helps, also I'll lurk and try to respond to follow up questions. I know a lot of traders (real Wall St traders, not sit at home on E-Trade traders), so I can get more technical or specificl info/answers from them if needed.
>>
>>1084183
Cool, thanks man. Right now i only have one question: Is this the beginning of a new financial crisis? Or just a small earthquake?
>>
>>1084816
It's a correction. Unless something dramatic occurs and everyone loses their minds, the worst that can happen is we go into an 8 month recession.

We simply aren't at a level like in 2008. The world is just slowing down its growth and people need to get used to lower yields on investments.
>>
>>1084816
>>1084838
I'd tend to agree with this guy in saying it's a correction, but...

There are a lot of fragile things in the market right now that, if broken, could (and I really do mean could, it's not definite) begin a massive downward spiral.

If you're planning on putting any money into the markets right now, I'd wait. It's a really weird time right now and you'll likely get destroyed if you don't now how to trade this kind of vol
I
>>
desu gtfo /biz/ and your own research faggot

that being said go check out investopedia
>>
dough.com
>>
File: herrslag.jpg (61KB, 376x490px) Image search: [Google]
herrslag.jpg
61KB, 376x490px
>>1084816
it is absolutely going to be a superb financial crisis because we have had 4000 year low intereset rates (never before this low, this is so crazy) but all the money will flee to stocks from bonds
>>
File: 1441075446337.jpg (15KB, 556x561px) Image search: [Google]
1441075446337.jpg
15KB, 556x561px
>>1084183
>zerohedge
>>
>>1084838
Here

>>1084920
What do you see as very fragile?

The American economy is very sturdy right now and we aren't running too crazy on derivatives or complex instruments. The only things I do think caution is needed is the tech bubble, oil obvi, and baby boomers cashing out their investments. Also Asia, but fuck them.
>>
>>1085071
Im looking more at emerging markets, the dollar, and energy debt/bank exposure to energy debt (ties into oil like you were saying)

Also running crazy on derivatives isn't the only way to blow up... that being said guys like DB have insane exposure to debt and derivatives alike.

My concern in general is credit/debt, just look at bond markets and what they seem to be saying.

>>1085024
Good for learning about what's going on if you make sure not to take all of it completely seriously. Also all the traders ik read it and say the same thing, so your greentext is cute but wrong
>>
>>1083787
The Richest Man in Babylon is a great starting point for not being a poor loser.
>>
>>1085786
>hurr durr all the oil traders i know say your wrong lol ur wung m8

Literally hedge your zero-ness.
>>
Tips:

>remove all emotional aspects from your decision making process. do not trade a company's stock because you like the products they make, and do not convince yourself that it will always do what you expect it to
>it's about time in the market, not timing the market. if you think a badly performing stock will rise, wait until you see some indication of it doing so. remember, the market does not always behave logically, so sometimes your logical prospects will meet an illogical, return-destroying fate.
>be patient, but also don't be hesitant to change your position. if a well performing stock takes a small sell off yet the future appears bright for its company, chances are it is just a sell off and not apocalyptic. if the market is unstable and your portfolio is taking a nose dive, it might be time to exit the market or find better things to invest in.
>>
>>1085786
Those are valid concerns but the world will fuck itself over and the rich will park their cash in American assets. We will use that to counter any failed energy credit.
>>
>>1083787

you're probably best off trying to get hired into a junior trading position

if you get into a target school then try to land a summer internship and get onto a grad scheme...

failing that there are other opportunities to trade in some capacity - options marketmaking firms like Optiver, IMC, Jane Street will get you trading rather rapidly - you'll also be out of the door rather rapidly if you're not successful..

some smaller firms in London or Chicago might be less competitive to get into too

lastly - there are some industries the grads targeting banks won't consider - I know a guy who started trading at a power company then moved to the energy desk at a big bank... so you could try utilities, oil companies and the various commodities houses...

London still has one open outcry floor left - the LME... and judging by the characters smoking outside at lunchtime on Fenchurch St there is still room for the uneducated barrowboy types in that market.

anyway that would be my advice - the online forums are full of noise... if you want to learn to trade then do it by learning from people who are already successful traders - not people who will sell you some shitty course or seminar but people who have a vested interest in training you because you're now employed by their desk
>>
Go to the piratebay and download Tim Sykes DVDs
>>
Buy ether
>>
signed

t. Shill b8
>>
>>1086018
This.
>>
>>1086007
never thought of that outcome... that's an interesting view. not sure if I agree with it though. what American assets other than treasuries are you thinking?

>>1085802
When did I say oil traders? I'm talking about mortgage managing directors at BB firms and hedge fund guys.
>>
File: 1441257593315.jpg (51KB, 573x609px) Image search: [Google]
1441257593315.jpg
51KB, 573x609px
>>1086885
>im talking about managing directors and hedge fund guys

Ok.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.