[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there anything more soul crushing than failing tonnes of internship

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-01.jpg (27KB, 500x365px) Image search: [Google]
Feels-Bad-Man-Frog-01.jpg
27KB, 500x365px
Is there anything more soul crushing than failing tonnes of internship and graduate job interviews due to bad social skills and then graduating and working a near minimum wage menial job while living at home?

And I'm realising that people at workplaces really really fucking hate you if you're introverted. Even if you're part-time they really fucking hate you. If this happens at part-time jobs, how the hell could I possibly succeed in some white-collar, HR-Stacey-filled, posh-people-filled, management sucking up workplace? >inb4 go in to STEM. Many STEM workplaces are like this.

How is it that I've failed so many interviews if they only ask dumb competency questions and I give my answers with the STAR framework they're looking for?
>>
>>1083539
You didn't realize the most important thing at all - you don't wanna succeed in there. Yes even in STEM. Succeeding means kissing a$$ left and right, ... ah you know I dont even wanna continue. It makes me sick just thinking about it. A good way to get a heart attack and nothing to show for it.

Think what youre good at, or polish your skills in the afterhours and open your own thing. It may be small at first, but great trees grow from well cared for trees.
>>
Tfw you realise work is just school 2.0 electric boogaloo but with extra bullshit.
>>
>>1083539
>How is it that I've failed so many interviews if they only ask dumb competency questions and I give my answers with the STAR framework they're looking for

because you didn't look them in the eye and signaled your autism
>>
File: 455917453257.jpg (76KB, 709x765px) Image search: [Google]
455917453257.jpg
76KB, 709x765px
>>1083539
I didn't even get any interviews
>>
>>1083539
Dude get therapy and suck it up

The world doesnt owe you shit

Adapt or die
>>
I'm an introvert and ended up working for myself. Working for the man is a fool's game IMO. Don't try and be the next Bill Gates, just keep it simple and find something you can do.
>>
>>1084247
A losers perspective. Winners adapt the world for themselves.
>>
>>1083539
At least you live in a nation where you can get a job. I'm from Spain and I wish I could work in a factory and bring an income at home (I live with mom).
>>
>>1083539
I know this feel. Fucking Chad and Stacies get jobs with worse grades and less exp than me. Im going to my uni career fair tomm buzzed so i at least act half normal.
>>
>>1083539
okay. finally something I know something abou.

First of all-- are you introverted or merely fat? Know the difference.

Second, you're right. People despise introverted workers. Every job I've gotten (software Engineer, currently doing games in SF) has been a horror show the first 3-6 months. People fucking despise me on sight. Get along with no one.

The solution is to be stronger than everyone else. Expect the insults, the slights, the bullshit. Take it and don't say a word and work fucking hard.

After a year of this people will start to realize you're no drama and not too bad to have around. Complete your assignments.

Eventually I realized that the people who heap insults and shame on their coworkers are generally hated, even more than the introverted. The most valuable thing you can bring to the table is NO DRAMA, GET IT DONE. OWN UP TO YOUR MISTAKES.

That's about it. The benefit of all the above is I feel no pangs of conscience when I quit for a higher paying job after 3 years.
>>
>>1084396
I can sympathize with this approach and mindset but it's fucking tiring. also, with others, it's like

>"no you must socially validate me before I do the job I'm paid to do!"
Then I have to jump through hoops to get my shit sorted.
>>
>>1084349
You should try phenibut, it works similar to alcohol without all the loss of motor skills, I took some before a job interview and beat out 150 people (apparently) and I'm a social retard
>>
>>1083539

I been there bro.

It sucks.

I got through it though.

and yeah out of college I was right back waiting tables. It sucked dick.
>>
>>1083539
I was in this boat for a year after graduating. Sperged out in interviews, wound up doing minimum wage grunt shit for about a year. You just need to fake it. I finally got a good job and I''m probably one of the most outspoken people in my workplace. It can get pretty exhausting, but it also can be pretty fun.

Also, I imagine once you have the experience and performance under your belt you can dial it back. Just remember to be social with the right people still. Unfortunately, when starting out almost everyone is above or equal to you so you want to be on their goood side.
>>
> Interviewed some peeps for an IT internship position
Last guy was a total introvert - I am not seeking for the next Oprah but at least some communication skill is necessary for discussing, negotiating and presenting ideas.

If the guy could barely look me in the eye and couldnt even say about himself in a proper tone, how is he going to perform in a meeting..
>>
>>1083539
>Dress professional
>have a portfolio
>lie your ass off
>call back when you fail to see where you need to embellish more.

If it is really just that you're a spazz, gets some fucking Valium.
>>
I am interviewing next week and no idea. I need a "security expert", but at the end of the day just some guy who can IT and not blow himself and others up. The job involves critical infrastructure.

Assholes who are just laying out a maze of trap questions get the wrong employees.

So what questions would you like to hear?
>>
>>1086686
You should ask questions related to the job at hand, aka setting up a firewall, what a DMZ is, backups, network structure, shit like that is basically IT security in a nutshell
>>
>>1086713
lol. Nobody in my company knows how to do all of that in any our security team. So tired of being the smart one. Our fucking IT team can't even figure out how to allow copy paste of text but not files through RDP.

Anyways, DMZ operation is a keeper question has we have trouble with that concept
>>
>>1084396
Accurate. Personally I didn't feel as much resentment but it's there if you don't socialize. I think people are just wary of you as an unknown more than anything.
>>
>>1083539
People have to work WITH you to get the job done. Meaning they need their emotions to trust you so they can get their work done.

If you were in a hunting party with some fucktard who couldn't communicate the plan and coordinate in vivo, that guy would be removed from the hunting party b/c we and our kids gotta eat.

But from your post you don't see your employers as people, they are a meal ticket and that's all. Once you see them as customers whom you are serving. then you'll grow and see success.

here's a guy talking to his boss and communicating that he loves his job.

https://www.bulletproofexec.com/andy-hnilo-entrepreneurship-alitura-naturals-281/

>>1086686
>>1086751
Frankly you guys should hire a consultant for a while and then have the consultant hire and train his replacement.
>>
I interviewed for a construction engineering position last week and it was the exact opposite. The interviewer acted more autistic than I did. A very chill and relaxed environment.
>>
>>1086686
Thats right. I'd rather to hire a responsible, interested person than a technical one with no desire to work.
>>
>>1086766
>it's OK for employers to treat you as disposable but it's not OK for you to view them as disposable.

Yeah, sounds like another IT shop run by retards.
>>
>>1084295
You are not a winner and you don't know any winners irl.
>>
>>1086777
that isn't a question. I have other people I can blow smoke up their ass should I choose to.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.