[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do some startup become successful and well-known and others

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 1

Why do some startup become successful and well-known and others don't? Have you ever heared of Keek? Or happn? Or Mingle? All of these apps implement a new and perspective idea, but don't get popular.

Why did twitter become viral? It's a fucking text blog limited to 140 characters. Nothing new.
Instagram? Tumblr with filters.
Even Facebook. It's not the first social network as well.

So, what's the secret? How do I make a startup successful?
>>
https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gross_the_single_biggest_reason_why_startups_succeed?language=en
>>
>>1082459
I've heard of happn and mingle, but that's it.

Twitter is an open text to the world. IG because you don't need to have an iPhone and some app to put yourself in b&w. Facebook because it was marketed much harder than myspace ever was.

Oversimplify all the popular things and look at the lowest common denominator in US or UK, cater to the useless desire they have but can't get, ???, success. the formula works.
>>
>>1082459
A Startup is a business without a well developed business model. It fundamentally has to developed a business model with its product. Failure to develop a business model in a tech based startup is the primary reason for its failure.
>>
>>1082486
What's the difference between a business model and a business strategy?
>>
>>1082509
A business model is a conceptual idea of how a business operates. Revenue streams, key partners, key activities, value propositions, cost streams etc. You are measuring and understanding what you provide the consumer of your product and how that can be rendered profitably.

A Business Strategy, as with a military strategy, should be the analysis of the business objectives in light of the the total market situation within your field and co-related fields, with consideration given to the resources you have available for achieving that objective.

Go read a book instead of expecting to be told.
>>
>>1082461
I'm skeptical that "timing" is the real culprit here. What's implied by good timing? Obviously, it means "not too early", so people are "ready" and it can grow/spread by word of mouth, and "not too late", well of course if it's too late that implies you're copying some other big competitor's model and it will fail. The idea of "timing" is vacuous, what's really happening are novel and useful ideas. Peter Thiel's book Zero-to-One makes a lot more sense here - build a monopoly in an untapped market, be truly original.
>>
Toi et TheFamily vous dégagez d'ici.
>>
>>1082459
well facebook won out for being more utilitarian than myspace, myspace was too glittery and bullshitty and you could have profiles for fictional entities

turns out people just wanted an easy way to stay in touch with people

tumblr has the entire early teen demographic (and btw its the fucking most hilarious website online right now, gets tons of hate here but go look at old 4chan screencaps vs tumblr, mountains of good content coming off tumblr daily - 4chan in all its years has like 1/8th of the funny shit that tumblr's done in its short life)

instagram works for celebrities etc

so utility and niches
>>
>>1082461
That's pointless. It's not even told how to know if it's the right time for your statup or not.
>>
The successful ones make a lot more money than they spend. The ones that fail do the opposite.
>>
>>1083111

So much business advice is like this. Vacuous words that amount to "to be successful, you must succeed!"
>>
>>1082459

>Why did twitter become viral? It's a fucking text blog limited to 140 characters.
>Even Facebook. It's not the first social network as well.

But notice what both of these have in common: simplicity. Twitter forces you to boil your message down to its essence. There is no TL;DR on Twitter.

And compare Facebook with Myspace. Myspace made you customize your background, set your top friends, set music, set boxes and content, set set set. Facebook is much simpler - that's why I myself switched way back.

One of the biggest problems today is information overload. We have titanic amounts of information coming at us constantly. Mediums like Facebook and Twitter boil the information down to its essence.
>>
>>1082537
>consumer of your product
Consumer is always the product now no? Nobody wants to pay for anything. You need an app that collects aggregate meta data on those consumers that the motherhsips haven't go yet, and then sell it, or sell out to the mothership.
>>
>>1082459

I've started companies.

Some failed, others didn't.

To me, it all comes down to this: Is it a good idea? How did the person or people behind it execute it?

If it's a good idea and it is executed well it will succeed. If only one of those requirements is met, or neither, it will almost certainly fail.
>>
>>1082478

> oversimplify things

sadly this is the truest thing i have ever seen on biz. One guy wrote in another thread: if you can find something fun and simple that appeals to lazy people you will get rich. In fact lazy people are the very best to market.

So true.
>>
>>1082639

Yeah but Tumblr is way too organized and artsy, and caters to people who wanna "make a change in the world". It's like NY's hipster art scene.

Whereas 4chan is like the wild west. Full of savages. Some of whom are witty and hilarious.
>>
>>1083916
Still. Both have a niche. Ita just easier to monetize tumblr apparently
>>
>>1083911

brb, off to create a sexbot startup.
>>
>>1082459
Money. Twitter and instagram both paid models/celebrities to use their products which brought the massive hordes of surplus spenders who worship them.

I'm not kidding in any way, it's just like everything else: have money to make money.
>>
>>1083925

True that.

4chan is least profitable internet success in history. Even Wikipedia is raking in money.
>>
>>1084066
4chan could easily become profitable if they started policing it heavy for racism and other behavior that normies consider undesirable, implement a username system and just have a favorites button for comments so people could rack up points for their posts. Then it would be more "addictive" for the whole young crowd that's into gratification and more accessible for advertisers who normally wouldn't want to be associated with cp and neonazis
>>
>>1084093
Don't give them ideas, this is one of the last bastions of the "old net"
>>
I'm not an expert, and I have no real experience in start ups, so I'm probably wrong. But I have a feeling a lot of it has to do with how start ups market their products. Obviously they have to be good ideas; but good marketing - convincing the public that your product is a good idea - has to be a very substantial part of it.
>>
>>1082537
>Go read a book instead of expecting to be told.

Being told is much more profitable. That's the sole point of this board. Those that know tell and those that don't ask.
>>
Can anyone explain why Youtube has no solid competitors? It seems like anybody could compete, but getting content would be a problem. In any case, Youtube has a lot of room for improvement. You can't search for a particular comment by a certain user, ads are a problem (for the average user), the videos have no download function, not enough filters/tags, non-offensive content only, no audio only functions, etc.
>>
>>1084717
Youtube used to have tons of competitors. They've been drying up one by one.
>>
>>1082537
>Go read a book instead of expecting to be told.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why business is an Arts degree alongside Gender Studies. Before you start doing anything, a business plan is something you need. If you run into trouble for any reason, it's something you should've had. That's it, like defining a cobbler as somebody who cobbles. Either way, repeating "business plan" over and over allows fools to look smrt and jerks to appear helpful without helping.

I'm afraid that, if you're in the US, lying is a critical component to success. Hype like crazy even if your app is useless, broken, spying, or all three. It takes a certain kind of person to be able to do that and not hate every bit of it. Otherwise, unless you have some measure of luck (right idea, right place, write time, etc), it's a long steep climb.
>>
>>1082459

> nothing new

But it was then. Being artificially limited was seen as a cool artsy gimmick when Twitter first came out.
>>
>>1084717
Hosting video is very capital intensive. Youtube's margins are incredibly small. To compete with YT you need massive volume, which requires significant investment at a very high risk of failure.
>>
>>1085377
>>1084727
I see. Guess Youtube is here to stay for a long time.
>>
>>1084093

Uh, that would defeat literally the essence of 4chan.

It would be like taking punching out of boxing.
>>
>>1084093
basically reddit
> thatsthejoke.jpg
>>
>>1082459
Buy ethereum
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.