[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>although we’ve seen improvement in the number of Black

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

>although we’ve seen improvement in the number of Blacks and Hispanics in the company, and in technical roles, their representation is starting from a very low base,” Dropbox CEO Drew Houston and Dropbox Global Head of Diversity Judith Michell Williams wrote on the company blog. “We know we have to do a lot better. Our goal is to continue to increase the number of women and underrepresented minority applicants in our pipeline and make sure we remove any biases in the hiring process.”

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/28/dropbox-is-2-black-5-hispanic-according-to-2015-diversity-report/?ncid=rss&cps=gravity_1730_-6880787137113331919

What's wrong with hiring based solely on skill, experience, and nothing else?

It's racist to refuse employment to a qualified applicant because the color of their skin is black, but isn't it the other end of the spectrum to go out of your way to find a qualified applicant that has black colored skin?

I thought Martin Luther King Jr. was all about people being treated fairly, but now companies are being vilified for not having "enough" African American employees.

If I were to start a company, I wouldn't even have a line on the application for race, throw that out, don't need it. That's the only way to be fair, right?

All I would want are people who have the skills, the knowledge, and/or experience. All I would want are people who get stuff done.
>>
0/10
>>
>>1074666
Nice trips, Satan. Your sentiment is well-meaning and very understandable. However, the fact is that race plays a part in getting callbacks from applications, even when applications are identical in every input, except for name. Black-sounding names get fewer callbacks than White-sounding names (source: http://www.nber.org/papers/w9873.pdf).

Is affirmative action discriminatory? Absolutely. However, it is discriminatory in a theoretically positive manner. Even the most well-meaning companies/proprietors may stall on workforce diversity.

Should employers care about the ethnic makeup of their company? Maybe, I guess. Clearly, Dropbox hopes to gain some positive press when they hit their diversity goals, which may have some tangible impact on their bottom line. Other employers may pursue workforce diversity as a matter of altruism and personal ethics (though I'm sure the profit motive plays into it by way of industry positioning, whether they're willing to admit it or not).

>What's wrong with hiring based solely on skill, experience, and nothing else?

Nothing, so far as I'm concerned. However, others have different political views and values systems than you, which prompts them to act in ways that you might not, were you in their position.
>>
Wait, is this bait? Are you just trying to /pol/ on /biz/?
>>
>>1074687
>However, it is discriminatory in a theoretically positive manner.
What evidence do you posses that affirmative action actually works positively?

Hint: I'm not asking for more flowery rhetoric but actual results
>>
>>1074666
Lol op u can't be racist against whites. Lmao where u think u r senpai(ily)?
>>
>>1074666
>go to school, few blacks or women
>go to grad school, fewer blacks or women
>go to work, even fewer blacks or women
Goddamn it feels good to be an engineer
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.