[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My brother and I are both about to inherit around $200,000 each.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: 1450149865613.jpg (194KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1450149865613.jpg
194KB, 1536x2048px
My brother and I are both about to inherit around $200,000 each. He's trying to talk me into spending a little bit of it to go mountain climbing with him. <- I figured out that it's pretty cheap to do and seems like it would be some cool shit to do since I've never really left my state.

But I was thinking about the ways to profit off of it. I talked to him about how we could possibly leverage these trips (climbing smaller mountains and working our way up to climbing some of the seven summits) by become travel agents/guides for people who want to go on outdoor adventures instead of get-a-way retreats. Then, after a while, purchase property/companies that deal with mountain climbing, parachuting, rafting, etc. to market to our clientele base. That way, we'd be making money from the travel agency and the destinations that we send them to.

What does /biz/ think about this? Yeah it sounds ultra risky, but it seems better than throwing it into investments. I'm thinking about a company that could be the Hilton Hotels of Outdoor Adventures.

I'm a 22 year old college student majoring in CS, but I'm already behind and I just feel like college isn't for me. If this is a dumb idea, then what's a better way to use the money to build a career for myself?
>>
>>1074665
Do you have any experience in marketing?

You're entering a market that's fairly small and competitive already and unless you have some gameplan for how you're going to win the marketing wars and attract customers to you, then all you're doing is dreaming.
>>
>>1074678
You're right, I have very little knowledge of marketing--I've only taken one college class on the subject, but it was one of the more enjoyable classes that I've taken and left an impression on me.

Do you think majoring in something like marketing or business would be worth more to me with the capital that I'd have?
>>
Don't do it. He's looking to push you off a cliff so he gets your money too.
>>
>>1074946
nah senpai, I'll be writing a will that states to donate all of my money to charity. He'll have no reason to do that.
>>
>>1074979
> i'd push you off the cliff just for writing a will like that.

Source: i have a brother
>>
>>1074665
Adventure sports industries are infamous for having a glut of talented wanabee instructors driving down wages for the entire market. It gets worse in the ones that try to sell through hotels or travel agents (who have a vested interest in cheap entertainment for their customers). 2/10 Do it for passion or find a very obscure niche.
>>
>>1074665
all the other posters are spot on about it being a small but stupid highly competitive market.

but another thing no one mentioned
>Insurance
the insurance required for you to carry in order to do this is insane.
I dont know numbers, but since you are taking amateurs with you on these trips, your insurance premium is going to be very high

the "minimum" is generally a $1,000,000/$2,000,000 policy

you have a bit of homework to do son.
>>
>>1075049
>>1074991

Fuudge, I have done a little bit of research on the topic and knew that insurance would be a big issue concerning the viability of operating a business like this.

On that note, I've also been looking into investing a portion of it into a turn-key business for sale, like a dry cleaners. Anybody on here experience with purchasing businesses like this?

I'm just looking for a place to park it for now that's less prone to recession than the markets.
>>
>>1074665
your bro is looking to kill you lel.
>>
He's going to kill you.
>>
>>1074665

He's going to push you off the cliff and take your 200k you dumb fuck. You really think you have to inherit 200k to go mountain climbing?? He could have suggested this at any point in the past 20 years but he does so now when he has so much to gain
>>
Hey /biz/,

My brother and I recently inherited 200k each. I've got an amazing business venture that's set me up for life, only problem is it's about 350k and I don't wanna share the profits with my faggot brother.

I told him we should go mountain climbing. There are two options that have me stuck to avoid legal ramifications though. Do I:

>Push him off and take a small tumble myself so people will believe it was an accident.
Or
>Find good wolf site, push him into it and run saying he risked his life so I could live.

The first seems so much easier, but he gets a hero's death on the second option. 'Course, I could just push him and say he fell so we didn't both have to, then it's easy AND he gets to be a hero. I'm perplexed. What would you do?
>>
>>1075145
Why don't you just poison his drink at a bar?

That way it could be any of the patrons rather than you. Better alibi.
>>
Sounds like your brother plans on murdering you
>>
>>1075145
You will be scrutinized because of the money. The good news is that your brother is a CS major, so he's probably a pussy. Everyone will understand that he couldn't hold on to that rock.
>>
>>1074665
I don't think this would be worth it if this trip is a one shot thing, I highly doubt this business would be profitable without consistent experience, right?

I don't know how informal your tour will be though.

Anyway, won't you be better off spending time researching investment opportunities for that money?

Also, how did you inherit already? Your parents were relatively old?
>>
Pretty sure that mountain is Uluru, bro. Id recommend against climbing that. Does Australia even let people walk on it? I thought they didn't. You may as well let me walk on top on of jesus's casket if there was one.
Anyways, yes
>>
>>1075077
That could be ok. The local dry cleaner never has anyone in it who looks like they might own it and it's open basically all day.

Once you break-even, it's just coasting from there.

Any real nigga will be easily able to calculate that it's a million times cheaper to actually buy a washer/dryer than go to a laundromat though. You'll probably make a killing in a recession
>>
>>1075145
The only way this could work is if you draw up a life insurance on him. Unless you do it BEFORE you guys get an inheritance, in which case you'll be the sole beneficiary
>>
>>1075196
Yeah, my father passed with cancer.

/biz/ is going top banter mode right now with the whole "he's trying to kill you" thing. He's had the desire to climb mountains and shit for a while now, and he's been trying to get his friends to get on board way before he asked me to go. He never even offered for me to go, and I just felt like it'd be some cool shit to do. He just told me that he wants to travel the world for cheap and shit. That it doesn't even have to be montain climbing.

Smfh.. sorry /biz/ it's not working.

>>1075125
Nah anon, we've always been super broke. Our father had money, but he was like /biz/ with his money, except he invested in shitty automobiles instead of securities.
>>
>>1074979
>donate all of my money to charity

Which charity?
>>
>>1075809
>he wants to travel the world
>doesn't have to be mountain climbing
A nice, long cruise will do just as well. A hot air balloon also sounds neat. It absolutely doesn't have to be mountain climbing.
>>
>>1074665

Your brother is going to rape you, leave you for dead and then collect the inheritance. Don't do it OP.
>>
>>1075998
Wait I have a question how often are charities scams. Remember KONY2014
>>
Buy a property and rent it out DESU.
>>
File: lake-duck.jpg (23KB, 445x239px) Image search: [Google]
lake-duck.jpg
23KB, 445x239px
It's inadvisable to start a business without bring an expert in the business, especially sinking a large amount of money into it. There will be a dozen other guys doing the same thing with more experience than you.
>>
>>1077114
Yeah, it does sound dumb now that I was really thinking about being able to compete with heavy weights in the field with little to no experience.
>>
everytime someone convinces you to spend money its not for yourself

i learned my lesson, i hope you wisen up
take 100k now and another 100k on the side
one part for investment, one lies as security
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.