[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any teachers here? Thinking about a career change and need advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (46KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 300x300px
Any teachers here? Thinking about a career change and need advice
>>
>>1070023

I'm a professor at Harvard Uni,

The only option that guarantees you a job is our new DickoSuckuMous courses. Don't worry, we have online classes too.

Need help signing up? I can be your personal trainer.
>>
>>1070026
Huh...ok
>>
>>1070023

considering teaching as well (chemistry). lurking.

Also is that Zac Efron in the stock photo?
>>
I can help, but I need to understand what you want, (1) are you a teacher looking for a career change? (2) are you looking to teach as a career change?

If the first, run away. Teaching is a very shit job. Youre basically an over educated, over worked grocery cart pusher. Theres a reason why university enrollment rates for education have dropped by 600% at some schools.

Don't let anyone fool you by saying "its so rewarding" or "its all for the kids". Its all horseshit.

Turn over rate for teachers is 5 years, theres a reason for that.

The education system needs to be utterly destroyed, and the best way to do that is turn away people who want to be teachers. No talent to be taken advantage of, then the system collapses.

Run away.
>>
>>1070541
Made a mistake...sorry i meant to say "if the second..."
>>
Maths Teacher in the UK, AMA.

I'm switching careers, applying to MSc courses as we speak. It's shit, didn't work out as I expected.
>>
>>1070023
From experience the older teachers get around 90k a year including bonus, and 2.5 months off
>>1070553
Why did it suck? The job or the pay/hours?
>>
>>1070559
Both. On paper, I get 13 weeks of paid holiday, the pay isn't "that bad" and the amount of teaching contact hours is reasonable.

In reality, the job is 10% about Maths, and 20% Teaching. The rest is administrative bullshit on dysfunctional systems to keep the government happy.

The amount of non-teaching, non-Maths related stuff I do is insane, and it's under-appreciated considering people get paid to do what I'm manipulated into doing.
>>
>>1070023

You need a good mindset.

Like; ''I'm just here to make money and sip coffee''
>>
>>1070023
feel like the type of person who wants to be a teacher isnt the type that gets the most of out teaching.

I tell ya hwhat if I was a teacher I wouldn't do jack shit. teach off powerpoint, hand out 20 questions multiple choice quizzes, spend an hour correcting them, then just pretty much sit at my desk and tell the kids to shut up.

you can easily run a 2nd business/job while teaching and make over six figures plus dopse ass gub'mint benefits. teachers get stressed out because they take it so seriously and spend all this time outside of work staying late, grading papers, planning lessons, etc. big waste of time.
>>
File: download.jpg (35KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
35KB, 300x300px
>>1070023
there's got to be a good meme for this guy
>>
>>1070711
And this is exactly the reason why the profession is severely underpaid and disrespected by the public.

It's a profession like anything else. People take pride in their work. You go to an auto mechanic or a doctor that has that same attitude? No you don't.
>>
>>1070746
I think I'm pretty good at teaching. But I'm not really good at giving a fuck, committing, or dealing with little shits. So maybe I could tutor or something
>>
The gubbermint interferes too much so that I can't teach as would best suit my students.
That's why I became a tutor instead.

>Did you know it is illegal to touch your students at all, even when one is getting the shit beat out of them :^)
>Did you know that if you look at female students you could be prosecuted and put on the registrar ;^)
>>
>>1070023
former middle and high school math teacher here. got into field bc
>its so rewarding/ its all for the kids...
Done after 3.5 years. Disrespect from students, parents, admin, public at large. Shitty pay. Shitty benefits. Shitty hours.
Fuck teaching.
>>
>>1072446
How long ago was this? What are you doing now? How did employers view your teaching experience?

>muh classroom micro-management
>muh leadership
>muh data analysis/admin
>muh confident presenter
>muh explaining complex ideas in understandable ways

I'm 1.5 years in, done as soon as I get qualified in about 6 months.
>>
>>1072552
14-15 was my last year... so I've been out since last june. prior to finishing my degree, i worked about 15 years in restaurant. im doing that again at night while I work on finding career 2.0. The sad part is that I'm making more now waiting tables in fine dining (dinner only ~35 hr/wk) than i did in the classroom...
>How did employers view your teaching experience?

when trying to get work post teaching, you have to sell the management aspect of it as your skill set.
>>
>>1072632
Are you 35-40 y/o?
>>
>>1072446
OP here, honestly thought this thread 404'd awhile ago.

Thanks for the replies guys. Currently I work in the energy sector doing legal work (I have my law degree) and with the price of oil...things are pretty stressful right now with layoffs constantly looming and shit.

I've hung on for quite awhile but in the event my time is up, teaching is sorta my fallback. I live in a state desperate for teachers.

The shitty pay and asshole kids is a big worry of mine. But I figured it could float me for a couple of years, get some sweet benefits, holidays/summers off then GTFO.

I'm sure it's a lot worse than I'm imagining but coming from my current industry, working 9 hour days teaching off the same powerpoint slides and staring at some high school booty sounds nice.

Am I fucking crazy?
>>
>>1072891
I can't even begin to tell you how much teaching sucks.

Your thoughts on teaching are waaaaaaay off.

Too much to talk about...just trust me on this, the education system needs to implode on itself.
>>
>>1072700
yes
>>
Related: I want to open a private school!

K-12-University
Uniforms, Segregated classrooms(sex), lots of male teachers, only professional credentials, and very little tolerance for bullshit. No gender studies bs, no "white guilt" history, no diversity quotas. It'll teach practical skills, have mandatory fitness requirements, and students are allowed to do paid work(Janitorial, yardwork, groundskeeping stuff etc) if they wish.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but i'm making a legitimate business plan for it. I'm saving up my salary in order to make this happen.

I'm also going to become a teacher for awhile in order to see what its like in the education field.

fuck public school
>>
>>1074716
If you never taught before, then you have no idea how complex the system is.

almost 95% of teachers would drool to work at that type of school, but it cannot exist.

The government has done a very good job monopolizing it. Why should I pay school taxes, while paying for private school? Private schools don't last long becuase the teachers are severely under paid, the state doesn't recognize your credentials, which makes your diploma absolutely worthless to universities.

Best of luck to you.
>>
>>1074716
I had this dream too once.
>>
>>1070541
I feel like teacher's should have PHDs or at least some type of graduate degrees. Most of them just do not give a fuck and it's really hurting our public school system.
>>
>>1074716
>>1075113
>>1074772
So, instead of a race war, can we wage an education war?

Safe space and no bully zones vs. legitimate secondary education and common sense.
>>
>>1074716
Yea but if you don't breed one dimensional low worker class humans who will keep the pyramid afloat?
>>
>>1070541
> university enrollment rates for education have dropped by 600% at some schools
I hope you're not a math teacher; if you're a teacher at all, that is.

If you meant 60%, sorry for the snark.
>>
>>1075241
>legitimate secondary education and common sense.
It'll never happen. They're too worried about getting sued so they'd rather throw a teacher under the bus then address the policy/pedagogical issues.
>>
And...
>>
File: Spirit Animal.jpg (49KB, 990x557px) Image search: [Google]
Spirit Animal.jpg
49KB, 990x557px
>>1075436
>>
File: 1398685931085.jpg (23KB, 367x384px) Image search: [Google]
1398685931085.jpg
23KB, 367x384px
>>1070711
>>1070711
>teach off powerpoint, hand out 20 questions multiple choice quizzes, spend an hour correcting them, then just pretty much sit at my desk and tell the kids to shut up.

I teach statistics to bachelors and this is what I do, except I like to do experiments. Time flies when you do taste tests on chocolate.

>mfw they like my lessons.
>>
>>1075436
What these people don't get is that some (many?) 'students' need to be told to stop trying and wasting their and everybody else's time and just get into professional education to learn a trade. Telling people who don't get linear equations that they might become a 'math person' is simply stringing them on and creating/feeding delusions.
>>
>>1075448
Excellent post

I agree that if you can't hack 090 level college algebra or 100 level trig you likely don't belong in college, that stuff is piss easy
>>
My mom is a teacher and for all the complaining she does about it, she is compensated very well. She makes around 90k plus pension, healthcare, etc. She lost some of her healthcare coverage during the last negotiations and made a huge fuss about it, but they really were getting way too much and it was bleeding the system dry.

It's the same with a lot of these unions. The money simply isn't there anymore, but the older workers refuse to give anything up (as do the leaders of the companies), so instead the next generation is getting fucked by not only having to accept the decreased value, but they also have to front the overcompensation cushion that the elders refuse to accept. really it's just a shit deal for the youth of the world, or anyone who is now embarking on such a career path.

im a union worker and during the last negotiation, for the entry level guys, they have no schedule day to day, no benefits, no vacation, and they start 10 dollars less an hour than we used to. basically nothing besides their wage. new guy had to work 15 days in a row because the vets know that if they move slowly, they'll get away with it, and the new people will have to pick up the slack. it's a shit existence.

at least as a teacher you're off on the weekends, have a set schedule, and have all those long ass breaks.
>>
>>1070593
>The amount of non-teaching, non-Maths related stuff I do is insane, and it's under-appreciated considering people get paid to do what I'm manipulated into doing.
Tell more, I'm currently a maths undergrad and honestly wondering why anyone would want to teach.
>>
I feel that your experience with teaching will largely depend around your area: my state NJ tends to treat its teachers well and is ranked 3rd for education in the nation. Also, better-off and mostly white suburbs tend to produce the least dickish kids as a whole. Also, you should only really teach if you actually want to teach, cause everything else is meh as a whole. You will hate your job if you did it because you had no choice, and trust me, your students can tell you hate your job too and will probably hate you for it. But the teachers I've met who love their jobs love it a lot and their students like them. Don't go in thinking all your students are obnoxious little shits, because then that will be all you will see them as. Students, especially high schoolers, can surprise you with their intelligence (and capacity for banter).
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.