[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone know how much investment in a bitcoin mining rig

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: project1.png (44KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
project1.png
44KB, 612x792px
Does anyone know how much investment in a bitcoin mining rig is needed for it to be profitable?

I need advice for this project I'm working on at my university. It's basically a philanthropic crowd funded mining rig, that furthers the public's understanding of crypto-currency.
>>
>>1068386

You need free or discount electricity for it to be worth it.

You also need to hit ROI VERY VERY FAST, because moore's law means you're mining rig is worthless in 18 months
>>
Mining is completely dead.

You literally cannot break even without free electricity now, and even then, it's going to take months just to pay for the equipment.
>>
>>1068423
what numbers are we talking here? universities provide 'free' electricity
>>
>>1068427

The university is gonna be real pissed they find out dorm room 100 is using $10,000 a month in electric

Anyways, this isn't class- this is real life. I'm not your babysitter, if you want the 'numbers' calculate them yourself
>>
>>1068432
>if you want the 'numbers' calculate them yourself
there has to be a going rate for independent miners wanting to get-rich-quick

>The university is gonna be real pissed
this wont be a rinky dink opperation in a dorm. it will be thru university approval, and for philanthropic and educational purposes
>>
>>1068437

So you don't make any money off it? Don't waste your time on it.

FOLLOW THE MONEY! NO MONEY? LOOK ELSEWHERE!

I'm your professor in REAL LIFE SCHOOL and that was lesson NUMBER 1.

LESSON NUMBER 2: NOTHING IS FREE!

Thousands of people did that math, made those calculations- WHY WOULD THEY SHARE THE DATA WITH YOU? DO IT YOURSELF
>>
>>1068443
i mean like bitcoin is literally money so i dont know what youre getting at. it could even be the world currency of the future which sounds safe to me prospectively

as for profit- im a college student, so this is my way of gaining recognition and legacy at the college.
>>
>>1068459

RECOGNITION AND LEGACY DOESNT PAY THE BILLS.

MONEY TALKS BULLSHIT WALKS.

I WILL KEEP USING CAPS UNTIL YOU PASS MY CLASS- YOU'RE FAILING IT RIGHT NOW.

GO GET A JOB DELIVERING PIZZA IT WILL HELP YOU FAR MORE IN LIFE
>>
>>1068463
funny you mention that, i actually chose not to work at my uncles pizza joint so i could work on this gig instead

but in the end i have faith in bitcoin, and i want to enlighten people to it. blockchain technology is a technology that is not going away any time soon. if im wrong, then i guess i gained some experience as a snake oil salesman
>>
>>1068476

work at your uncle's joint you idiot

anyways, im done helping you, take my advice, dont take my advice

being a snake oil salesman is fine- snake oil salesmen MAKE MONEY. YOU DONT MAKE MONEY.
>>
>>1068459

The fact you're asking these questions means you've done little to no research on the topic of crypto-mining yourself. A couple of basic searches will tell you why it's no longer viable and those searches go back 2 years.

I'll make it simple for. The more people mining, the greater the difficulty. This is the hashrate. The current meme-of-the-month (ethereum) has a hashrate of ~650 GH/s. With a basic GPU mining at 22 MH/s, you're looking at $2.20 per day at current value.

The Hashrate of bitcoin is 964,225,572 GH/s. It has been hardcore mined for years but now it's being mined by chinese factory mines far more powerful than your home rig. The more power added to the network, the harder it gets to mine. If you wanted to mine bitcoin you're about 3 years too late.
>>
>>1068386

Make a btc mining multipool. Mine gpu coins.
>>
File: progress.png (144KB, 1824x984px) Image search: [Google]
progress.png
144KB, 1824x984px
>>1068893
and what has anyone done to stand up against these 'chinese miners' who are just hoarding the stuff anyway with their terahash rates...

anyway here's a progress pic, i've set up one 60Gh/s miner and have a second one waiting to be hooked up. even though im essentially using the machine as a space heater i still enjoy the idea that im making the bitcoin system a little bit more secure
>>
>>1070116
>>>/g/

fucking NEET neckbeard virgin loser go rice linux arch nerd
>>
>>1068386
A couple trillion should cover a time machine to 2008, and a rig
>>
>>1070274
im 100% serious. what is it $100,000? $1 million?
>>
>>1071152
apologies i forgot my sage
>>
Don't mine bitcoin, mine ethereum it's far more profitable right now, and Ethereum is a blockchain that will dwarf BTC very soon.
>>
>>1068386
>still mining for bitcoins

Not that it's impractical but are you trying to start a housefire with this?! Even the Chinese had server rigs mining for bitcoins back in 2013 until it got banned.
>>
>>1071152
$1M? Not even close. It would be around thirty to forty million dollars to even break into it.
>>
>>1071251
The chinese still have the biggest mining pool
>>
>>1068386
there are calculators around.

I looked into it for fun, and with my decent computer with dual videocards, I'd mange 2 dollars a month apparently.
>>
>>1068386

I looked into this about two years ago and figured out that power costs and hardware upgrades required have edged out small scale startups.

So unless you've got access to free power don't bother. And if you've got access to free power, grow ops are more lucrative.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.