[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey would any of you fine gents mind chiming in with some advice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1439336244281.jpg (24KB, 300x544px) Image search: [Google]
1439336244281.jpg
24KB, 300x544px
Hey would any of you fine gents mind chiming in with some advice?

I have this site/app idea that fills a need and I couldn't find anything in the marketplace quite like it. (not a complete monopoly, but sort of unique in terms of how I plan to market it/write copy for it)

Now, of course I don't know Web Development (HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, MySQL, etc) too well, but the time for me to learn/build it kind of scares me, because one with knowledge could probably make it in a much shorter amount of time.

What do?

a)find a technical co-founder
b)hire someone to build it
c)learn to build it myself
d)other ideas?

>inb4 sucking dicks
>>
>>1060764
b) but you can't afford b) and if you don't have prior experience programming c) will take forever so a). Make sure you choose someone who is kind of autistic/socially inept so that they don't realize that once you've communicated your idea to them, you're completely disposable.
>>
File: 1447108455099.jpg (62KB, 1024x770px) Image search: [Google]
1447108455099.jpg
62KB, 1024x770px
>>1060772
Thanks, yeah figured a)

I got decent networking/people skills. Just needed a strangers opinion. Thanks.
>>
>>1060772
>find an asspie to exploit
Harder than you think. There are many more scumbags with a website idea looking for someone to make their website for free than an asspie who can be suckered into making one. Getting a 50/50 partner or hiring someone are the only realistic options.
>>
It's so common people make youtube videos like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyTpzgAW5NA
>>
Your idea is worthless on its own.
If you hire someone else to write it, they'll have full control.

Furthermore, if it hasn't been done already, it's more than likely a more difficult problem than you can even grasp.
>>
>>1060840
Someone has a case of the Mondays. Jk, I understand ideas are worthless (unless licensing is applicable) and the execution is where the value is made.

However, it's worth noting that non-disclosure agreements and similar documentation can protect it in certain cases. Also I'm not going to just converse online with some fag. I will work with a tech-cofounder by their side and if they get any crazy ideas about trying to remove me from the equation, I'll most likely know where they live and have ways to reclaim ownership.
>>
>>1060830
>exploit
Here's the problem:
1) You give me your idea, ask me to come up with the implementation and we'll split 50/50
2) I say, well now I have the concept and I'm the only one who can do the implementation so how about we split it 100/0?
3) You realize you should have gone with the aspie who only wants to be given a problem to solve and have you handle the business details.

The only other option is if OP is good enough with people to get a bunch of VC money. Then he can pay someone what they're worth, and without offering them ownership.
>>
>>1060861
Then I would sue dummy.
>>
>>1060861
I plan on doing a pitch eventually, but I feel like a functioning site would be more appealing than my sketches and wireframing? Unless I'm wrong on that? I've also been told that a lot of VC's don't like to sign anything that may protect your idea. So that kind of worries me a bit as well.
>>
>>1060880
If you came to me with only an idea OR a website I wouldn't invest. VCs invest in businesses, not ideas, and not websites.
>>
>>1060877
You can't patent an idea.
They can patent an alpha built on your idea without you.
>>
File: Pimp-Cat-in-Space.gif (129KB, 324x199px) Image search: [Google]
Pimp-Cat-in-Space.gif
129KB, 324x199px
>>1060887
It's more than just a site (sorry for having to be vague.) And I understand what you are saying. Why would anyone want to invest in something that isn't going to make them money or at least guarantee that they will be able to get their money back?

I know that I could find an investor and get their money, but without the functioning site it just doesn't seem as appealing.

I'll be alright though senpai. Even if this idea doesn't work out. Giving up isn't an option.
>>
>>1060764
>a)find a technical co-founder
what value would you bring to a technical cofounder, besides the idea?

>b)hire someone to build it
hiring an employee before you have revenue is not a good idea

>c)learn to build it myself
you'll build something crappy which will be immediately copied by someone who's more skilled than you

>d)other ideas?
come up with a business idea in an area where you actually have skills
>>
>>1060877
>I don't have the money to pay you for your work but I have the money to hire a lawyer to sue you.
>>
>>1060933
a) sales, marketing, writing copy, designing, great communication skills (as well as people skills), confidence, can assist with development, etc.

b)kinda figured

c)even if I had decent skills to develop it, I'll eventually need other people to work on it.

d)*facepalm* that's condescending and also very "in the box" thinking. I'm willing to learn more and grow my skillset, but as this is time dependant I was asking about the best course of action for someone in my situation.
>>
Your idea is worthless, execution is everything. If you're serious about starting a startup, you should learn programming AND find a technical cofounder. It's plausible your app will succeed, but if it does, it's not because it was a good idea, but because it was executed well.

https://youtu.be/CVfnkM44Urs?list=PL5q_lef6zVkaTY_cT1k7qFNF2TidHCe-1&t=1749
>>
>>1060965
>a) sales, marketing, writing copy, designing, great communication skills (as well as people skills), confidence, can assist with development, etc.
if you have a proven track record in sales, marketing, copywriting, and design then you might be a worthwhile business co-founder

if you have never been paid for those skills then you're not

>c)even if I had decent skills to develop it, I'll eventually need other people to work on it.
once you have revenue you can hire people, sure, but what are you going to do if you build a crap site and then your lunch gets eaten by a company with professional programmers who can build a better version in a couple of months?

if your idea requires significant technical innovation then you don't have the skill to execute on it. if it doesn't require innovation then it's easily cloned and the only way you'll win is through better execution, for which you lack the technical skill.

>d)*facepalm* that's condescending and also very "in the box" thinking. I'm willing to learn more and grow my skillset, but as this is time dependant I was asking about the best course of action for someone in my situation.
what's condescending are "idea men" who go around looking for someone else to execute on their vision and make them rich despite the fact that they bring nothing to the table
>>
>>1060764
Let me guess, thermodynamic tables calculator #5748385392? Absolutely brilliant, anon.
>>
>>1060966
I understand ideas are useless (unless licensing is applicable.)

>>1060979
a) have been paid and made money using all these skills both under other businesses, as well as independently.

b) yourself anon :)

c) so how should I execute? People who have little starting capital and little knowledge start websites, software, tech companies, etc and succeed. Of course they learn more after it is started, but it's ignorant to think that only programming prodigies succeed.

d) are you under the assumption that I'm just an "idea man?" If that is so, that is quite a generalization.

>>1061016
Close, but no cigar. Jk, not at all.

Anyone have any useful advice that isn't essentially saying, "you can't do it?"
>>
>>1061022
FEA software is already a crowded space. I would be highly surprised if you could produce something better than somebody like Ansys who's poured millions of man-hours into their product.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.