[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you are self employed? > Age? >What do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 4

File: selfemploy - Copy.png (43KB, 328x154px) Image search: [Google]
selfemploy - Copy.png
43KB, 328x154px
How many of you are self employed?
> Age?
>What do you do?
> Any training required?
> What kind of money do you make per week?
>>
No one?
>>
I think we are all just dreamers...mabie a few bullshitters.
I am an electrician by trade, tried a little bit of work for myself, but the market for tradies is too competitive, and it's too hard to get people to pay etc.... I earn more money as a wage slave, I am studying business at the moment and will mabie try and invest or get into another kind of business when i finish.
>>
>>1060317
Are you in the US? how much training did you have to complete to become an electrician how long do you have to apprentice before you can legally do it on your own as a full fledged electrician
>>
In uni (NZ).

I tutor - created a website and some flyers and now have a good base of students and a constant enquiries.

Charge $40NZD an hour, work about 10-15 hours a week between classes on campus. Usually getting 400+ per week before tax. Only business expenses are printing really (and I get tax deductions when I get lunch with a student or go coffee etc.).

200 of that goes into ETF S&P 500 meme.

The rest of it goes into my back pocket alongside my interest free student loan and weekly allowance from payments. Live a pretty comfortable life and over my 5 years of uni I will have saved up about $50,000 + whatever it earns as interest.
>>
>>1060335
cool
>>
>>1060217
>28
>illustrator
>art training
>$700-$3k/week
>>
>>1060627
Damn that's not to shabby for drawing
>>
>>1060217
fun fact: if you're self employed you are not paid per week. you only know for sure how much you made after your taxes are done the next year.
That said, here in Germany in the IT field if you're lucky and you can work ~220 days a year for one customer @800 EUR per day - which is a heavily discountet rate cause they employ you for the whole year in advance - and you have to pay 20% for an agent you can clear about 140k before taxes.
>>
>21
>Sell custom made Yugioh cards that appeared in the anime but never officially printed.
> $1K-2K per month, it varies.

I've been doing this for five years, started on ebay and I run a website now instead. I'm amazed Konami hasn't sent a C&D yet.
>>
>>1061596
Most self employed people would have understood that it was per week on average...or are you saying you only receive payment once a year for the entire years work?
>>
>>1061607
Forgot the training part.

>Just use a template i found online and basic Photoshop skills with a decent photo printer

I have a professional Roland sign printer I'm trying some new stuff with now
>>
>>1061619
jeez man 1 grand a month is decent for that!
>>
File: 1425988174937.jpg (58KB, 485x302px) Image search: [Google]
1425988174937.jpg
58KB, 485x302px
>>1060217

>turned 29 yesterday (yay me)
>freelance programmer, also running a few small fantasy sports sites I built
>programming training needed obviously

I make $40/hour, trying to bump that to $45 now; usually work 30 hours per week programming, plus what I make from the sites comes out to like $6000 per month give or take.

>mfw I make 12x the average salary in my shitty country
>>
>>1060217

> 29
> I own a small tiling business
> just work for someone else for 6 months, it is not complicated
> It varies, my small business is new. One day I made $1,000, in a single day. But I have also gone 3 weeks without making a single dollar. The work is simple. It's getting customers that is hard. Such is small biz.
>>
>>1061731
>>1061650
JIDF detected!
>>
>24
> Freelance Writer
>Nope. Just know how to write.
>$700-$2k /month depending.
>>
>>1060217
>37
>Consulting Software Architect/Engineer
>Yes but if you're reasonably intelligent and apply yourself you can teach yourself from online tutorials and practice and that will never stop due to the rapid pace of dev tech advancement
>~$4600 average
>>
>19
>information/programme management
>none
>£28k (just over $40k now bc strong dollar)
>£1k investment income

Was equal to $50k only a few years ago.

Sad.
>>
>>1061824
Per week that's like £550, but after tax and expenses (not living with mummy) it's not like I'm living lavish.
>>
>>1061619
link me to ur website/page and how do you print ? you need to print those cards on cardboard not printer paper
>>
>>1060217

Game Development

ComSci degree, but I've succeeded more-so due to my creativity and critical thinking.

Just under 2m in 2015
>>
>>1061860
Site is oricacard.com. Looks like absolute garbage right now. I'm putting together a new site to go live by Summer. Cards are currently printed on photopaper, cut and spray adhesive mounted to an official card. The Roland I have now uses vinyl which will be significantly thinner and match card thickness more acurately. Some other card makers have these print and cut all with an industrial offset printer. That is out of my price range for now.
>>
>>1060217
>22
>hose fitter (wagelsave)
>more knowledge based then training, otherwise no
>660 aud week, after tax

Sigh
>>
>>1061787
what is a freelance writer? who pays you to write? like a magazine or some shit? or do you do homework for kids who pay you?
>>
>>1062233
what kind of games? what do you mean by development? like you actually code the game programs? or you photoshop the art? or market or come up with the ideas for the game?
>>
>>1060328
I'm in Aus it was a 4 year apprentiship. Then I went and worked in mines, it is good money but I am studying business now at uni, so hopefully I can invest my wages wisely and stop being a wage slave haha
>>
>>1063185
JIDF detected
>>
>>1060627
>>1061787
I've wanted your job for a long long time. Severe depression made me quit though everyday I think about drawing and writing.
>>1061607
>>1062857
This is an amazing gimmick you have going.
Hope you stay under the Konami radar.
>>
>>1061819
You are living my dream. I'm starting this. Do you have online tutorials you started with?
>>
>>1060217
CEO/low voltage electrical technician
2 years to get an 06 license
About $1500 a week.

The business is still young. 3-4 years old. She's had some hiccups, but she's had fairly consistent growth. Should clock in about $300k+ this year in revenue.
>>
>>1061731
So you just find hard earth for people and do the ol' roto-till/pull up rocks game for hours then? How well does that pay?

I've been thinking about doing some maintenance landscaping, such as weed pulling, weed whacking and lawn mowing. Do you think it would be worth getting my hands on a decent till too?
>>
>>1063095
Little bit of everything. Essentially what I do on working time is find clients who need help with their writing needs. Copywriting, proofreading, or creative writing. Mostly it's people who need help publishing their books because they want be the next Hemingway, but lack the creativity to put together words without sounding like you're reading the back of a cereal box. Sometimes it's kids needing help with their homework (and surprisingly, a lot of them are college kids my age). Sometimes you get a curve ball. I got a 15 year old kid wanting me to write Voltron Fanfiction. That's kind of fun, really. She sends me her allowance money.

A lot of other times it's people wanting to fill their blog or website up with content because they think the more stuff they have on it, the higher it ranks in search engines.

Which also is leading me into studying SEO content and offering some of that.

It's just a bunch of different things.

>>1063492
Funny how it's severe depression that led me INTO freelance writing cause I wasn't finding work that didn't conflict with my college hours. That and I was originally a freelance artist, but I never thought my art was good enough for anything, so I was constantly late trying to be perfect each and every time and didn't get repeat customers.

Writing I figure as long as I write, and proofread what I wrote, was good enough, so I switched to that and surprisingly been doing alright with it now. Getting better each month. Be nice to make $3k a month with it and maybe start publishing my own stuff eventually.
>>
I hope to be self employed someday soon, but currently:

>23
>csr for a large corporation (babbys first accountant)
>in house training, nothing special
>$530 in monopoly funnymoney a week (canadian)

My company has sent me for NACE coatings inspection training and I passed that with flying colors. I hope to get some experience doing that and then jump ship to start my own inspection company.
>>
>>1063977
stop shilling jew
pol was right
>>
>>1063527

no, "tileing" like laying tile.

not tilling the earth.
>>
>>1063608
>the more stuff they have the higher it will rank

That's mostly true though, if you have a niche website that you're trying to rank, you need content to rank it. You also need a keyword that they'll need to find your website. The point is so they buy your product, clickbank item, etc.
>>
>>1064144
Probably not useful to tack onto landscape maintenance....
>>
>>1061742

What does being a programmer have to do with Jews? What the fuck is wrong with you?
>>
>>1064216
/pol/ was right
only a jew would say that
>>
>>1064216
what kind of programming training are you talking about? self taught?
how long do you think a person would need to basically learn from scratch to get a job and in what field/language (learning up to 10-12 h per day)

my acquanitance left university and started learning c# and after 6 months he got a job paying well above the country's average
>>
>>1064291

Depends on the language and how committed you are - and some amount of talent, tbqh. I had a few programming classes in uni (C and C++), but self taught in PHP (which I've mostly been working in since I started freelancing).

A few months is enough to become proficient and earn solid money freelancing, as for full-time employment I wouldn't know, I never had a regular job.
>>
File: 8JVHTBP.jpg (171KB, 1701x1080px) Image search: [Google]
8JVHTBP.jpg
171KB, 1701x1080px
>>1060217
>21
>Unemployed working on a startup and hustling
>Get all kinds of hate/shit talk both online and offline
>Oh well, just got this one life and I rather keep trying to achieve my dreams rather than just be working a job I don't enjoy, just so I can live comfortably.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter who you are or what you do in life anyway. You can either conform to the ways of the others around you or embrace the inevitable changes in life and try to be what you want to be.
>>
>>1060217

internal tools (software) for companies

only programming knowledge and good networking

i have no idea per week but when i used to do this i got up to 200k (local currency, which is about 50k dollars) per year
>>
Forex trader
Varies
>>
>>1064528
can you please explain a bit more indepth what you did, what languages and where and how you acquired the knowledge required to get and do that job

im planning to no life learn coding (up to 16h per day every day) cause the shitters at my school dont allow me to finish my school which leads to university (despite one of the best scores at school) holy fuck how ridiculously stupid laws..

any tips?
>>
Get into a service business. Of any kind.
Seriously. Quit reading about "How to start a business, and roll up your sleeves and start something". You need to get your feet wet. You will not learn online how to get out of bed and make money regularly. It has to be a discipline.
Learn things such as accounting/taxes/etc, as you go.
Do not try to "put it all together" or "wrap your head around it" before starting anything. Just get out and start making money/advertising through free sources, etc. This attitude gets you nowhere. Just start.
The whole time, do not allow yourself to lose money. Do not give away your time. You will hold a service that ppl will pay for, if you consistantly charge them for it. If you give it away, they will continually expect that. You don't want those people. Time is money.
Good luck.
>>
One more thing....
Never screw people over.
Word of mouth is the best advertising.
The fact that they can count on you will earn you a living, and grow to more business over time.
Rinse and repeat this work ethic until you have more work that you can handle, then hire another people. Treat that person well, but don't be a partner with them. Complicates things.
>>
>>1063608
how do you go about with freelance writing? how do you apply/advertise yourself? I don't really have a writing portfolio
>>
>>1064673
go to iwriter and try to do some of their writing gigs
>>
>>1061787
I have also been writing for quite a while now. I started with academic writing and have transitioned into web content more. Only clear about 1k per month, but I also work a full time job, so it is just a side hustle right now.

I see there is some interest in writing so I will drop my pearl of wisdom - don't sell yourself short. I spent way too long charging low rates. I just put my rate up to $25USD/500 words this week and not one customer batted an eye lid. Should have asked for more really.

After seeing so many others 'make it' with online businesses, I have resolved to grow my own this year. I want to get to the point of managing other writers instead of doing it all myself.
>>
Is it possible to make a living with
odesk
elance
iwriter
etc.
>>
>>1061819
any advice? places to learn/start?
>>
>>1060217
>Age
>What do you do
Cryptography consulting. Basically a subfield of IT-security, except that I dont do white hat hacking, pentesting or firewall setup, but instead help my customers understand, use and implement cryptography and steganography to protect their data.
>Any training required
Math for cryptography basics, not that much to be honest, only enough to understand the algorithms not enough to invent new ones myself (huge temptation there, but horrible idea)
Studied physics too and did some standard business consulting on the side during university which I find helpful now. Physics helps me with analysing problems and breaking them down.
Self taught CS, it occasionally shows when I dont know many complex data structures outside of what is used in cryptography.
>What kind of money do you make per week
Varies hugely. Sometimes I have nothing to do for several weeks in a row, then I work 80h/week.
I get a bit more than 250EUR per hour, but I have to pay everything myself: insurances, office, retirement... and Geneva is the 3rd most expensive city in the world...
>>
>>1064810
as a computer engineer: No.
The site is overrun with pakis and indians willing to develop for 5$/day. This attracts the kind of client who is looking for such scammers instead of real programmers.
>>
>>1064340
What sites do you go to for freelance work?
>>
>>1065009
Hey I have a question about your degree. I'm studying computer engineering and I'm wondering if the average graduate does programming or is it more hardware oriented? People keep telling me it's basically computer science and it's all about programming, but my flowchart for the four years has only two classes about programming, and the rest are all hardware design etc.
>>
>>1063608
>>1064774
Do you charge different rates for proof-reading/editing and writing from scratch? Thanks for the information regardless.
>>
>>1064598
Any words of wisdom for someone looking to start trading?
>>
Publishing niche fiction ebooks and consultant for self-publishers
Have a uni degree but mostly self-taught
Money is very unstable since italian ebook market is still very small but passive income is costantly rising, did 25k€ in 2015 but aiming for 3 this year
>>
>>1065149
I meant 35k lol
>>
>>1065036
It is hard to have a set rate for proof reading/copy editing as no two jobs are quite the same.

I usually quote based on how much I think the person will pay. Also, if I don't really want the job, I quote high (and sometimes I get it anyway).
>>
>>1065032
I really depends on the program and the country.
For example in Germany where I studied you have "Informatik" which translates to informatics (yeah that word is tough) which includes computer science and engineering as well as hardware stuff, but it depends on which courses you take.

Officially:
Computer Science: theory heavy stuff, great for allrounder and people working on open problems later, HFT boutiques like to hire those guys.
Computer Engineering/Software Engineering: More hands-on, may look more like a sophisticated trade school than university (I said computer engineering but actually meant software engineering in my original post, sorry)
Programmer/Coder/CodeAcademy graduate: shit tier, unless you intend to work in another area and simply use programming to make your life easier. Lets say you are an accountant, then programming esp. for VBA or Python can help you automate all the boring, repetitive stuff
>>
>>1064628
>>1064636
Cheers bro,
I've been thinking about starting a man-in-a-van aircon cleaning company.
Gonna go do it now.
>>
>>1065028

Upwork is by far the best in my experience. Have worked on Freelancer, Elance and Guru in the past but none come close.
>>
File: 1341604428_36753.jpg (98KB, 562x750px) Image search: [Google]
1341604428_36753.jpg
98KB, 562x750px
>>1060217
Optical tech for the d.o.d.
Hs diploma here, no college
Make $24a hr, 40 hrs a week, always have Fri-sun odd
>>
>>1065708
fuck....that's decent jimmy for a HS diploma
>>
>>1065734
It's not too bad eddie
>>
>>1065402
Thanks.
>>
No, but I manage a Starbucks.
>25
>I make sure the place doesn't fall down, and ensure my butthole is properly lubed for Ecosure when they decide to drop by and find what my partners are hiding from me.
>Yes. A lot.
>Salaried, obviously. I'm at $53k, but it's obviously negotiable. Dank benefits.

Not quite self employed, but I love my job and would be interested in running my own shop if I wasn't comfortable where I am.
>>
>>1066107
Do you think there is room for you to advance? I am thinking of becoming a manager at my restaurant.
>>
>>1066107
53k to oversee a coffee shop...im gonna guess your not being truthful...or...?
>>
>>1064636
this is actually good advice
don't have a business myself, but both of my cousins do as well as a friend from college
>>
>>1062857

Your website is slow loading.

You should look into a CDN or Cloudflare.
>>
>>1066155
You'd be surprised. Starbucks actually takes care of its people.
>>
>>1066153
The step up from me in the Starbucks structure would be District Manager, but I'm way too new to my position to go for that yet. I was scouted for my position just over a year ago. As a DM, I'd oversee all of the Starbucks corporate and licensed (think Target Starbucks) stores within a district. This is, of course, relevant only to Starbucks, but most corporate chains work the same, more or less. Moving up to DM is a completely different mindset from being a SM, and is far, far more logistics oriented.
>>
>>1066155

Starbucks has great HR policies....

Totally believable
>>
>>1063096
I personally do come up with the ideas, and am the lead programmer.

But I'm also overseeing all other aspects (art, sound, music, marketing).
>>
>29
>Street Performer, Tinman in Chicago
>3 years training in dance, robot, popping
>$30/hr spring and fall, $45/hr summer, though I can only go for about 5 hours per day before I run out of energy to perform proper
>>
>>1061650
How do you find gigs? What languages do you code in, generally?
>>
>>1061650
>what coutry are you from?
>do you finish collage or just follow some net-tutorials and trainings?
>how good are you at code?
>how do you speak with your customers
>>
>>1060217
Own a small electronics startup.
Learning EE since HS.
3k. Sometimes 5k-6k
>>
>>1062857
That is really cool. How do you get traffic? Do you advertise your website at all?

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think Konami can legally come after you - it looks like what you're doing is a parody of YuGiOh, which is perfectly legal.
>>
I'm currently a wagecuck, but have an idea for a side hustle on fiverr

>have authentic typewriter from the 40s
>charge X dollars to type up pages of authentic typewritten font on nice paper for gifts, poems, notes, etc.

Do you guys think that there is a market for this? The startup costs are extremely low, since I already have the most expensive component needed (the typewriter). I just need to purchase additional ink spools and nice paper. Im planning on advertising this as "authentic" and "genuine"
>>
Part time janitor
$350 every two weeks.

HS Dropout.
>>
>>1062233
>that feel when game developer, too, and slowly making more money

Is this what winning feels like?
>>
>>1067568
I'd say so, yeah.

Stressful as fuck though, i've got 0 free time and no longer have any social life at all.

Will be worth it though, when i retire in 1-2 years, and can get my life back.
>>
>>1060627
Good for you, art friend!

I have started making some money from my artwork recently: Selling art works on etsy, doing commissions for album art, and other request aswell.

Illustration or art training is the ultimate goal. At university, I study physics and tutor this subject and others in a tutoring center. From this, I have gained a tutoring certificate and hope too possibly leverage this in order to tutor art outside of university.

anyways, best of luck.
>>
Self Employed here.

30 years old
Affiliate Marketing
No official training, just lots of googling
Used to make $2-3k/week for a several years, now I'm making $300-500/week for the past year. Hoping things get better, working on it daily.
>>
I'm self employed. 1099 Insurance sales
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.