[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grey-Area Income Taxation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (2KB, 129x233px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
2KB, 129x233px
Hi /biz/,

I was talking with my friend, and we think we have found a novel way to make bots in MMOs. This is obviously against the TOS of most MMOs. So, if we were to make an effective bot, how would we declare the income? I would definitely not be keen to launder cash, at all, and would like to keep it clean as a whistle without opening myself up to civil lawsuits.

How do?
>>
>>1057471
Don't claim?
Collect payments to bitcoin?
Also if you want play an mmo with a real cash economy try Entropia universe. It's like a slot machine
>>
>>1057492

Bitcoin would be a good idea, sure, but some of these hackers/botters have made $90k from game exploits in osrs alone. Bitcoin in that case would just have extremely poor liquidity.

Entropia universe sounds interesting. I'll check it out.
>>
>>1057496
> bitcoin
Bitcoin is also taxed in the USA. By the way, decent MMOs have scripts that smell out even novel bots. Enjoy your bans.
>>
>>1057516

Don't care about bans sir. It's part of the game. As long as they can go long enough, we'll be happy.
>>
>>1057492
>>1057496
Ah Entropia...

Where new players spend countless hours sucking sweat off of animals, to sell for mere cents!

I played for a while, was good fun (if you paid). The gambling aspect of combat was very addictive.

My gun cost 6 cents worth of ammo every time i fired it. On average, you'd make a slight loss on enemies, but you'd also skill up - so it was 'worth it'.

Sometimes though, you'd kill an enemy and they'd drop loots worth lots. My biggest was $120.

I used to play with a few friends, and we'd always go hunting at the same time every Thursday. One time, i couldn't make it, and they hit an Top 10 all time high loot of $30,000. I was sad, and ended up quitting.

I logged in a few years later, and it's really lost a lot of its charm. Feels super ghost-towny too... no one around.

/blog
>>
>>1057604
Interdasting.

I once wondered what a game like Rust would be like if you could sell shit you had farmed/looted for real money, even if the profit per item were minimal the group i played with would be turning a massive profit monthly. Thank god i got a job instead
>>
>>1057646

What job did you get? Is it better than being a NEET for you?
>>
Reminds me of an idea I had about half a year ago where I would learn to write my own bots and a script to mange a whole bunch of them. I crapped out on that because I'm dumb as fuck when it comes to coding/scripting, so nothing ever came of it.

I had an idea along those lines of giving people who's computers I fixed an agreement that they would sign that would make them into a voluntary botnet with their computers running my scripts in the background, with a server I host managing the bots remotely and eventually having them launder their money through like a dozen merchant alts who I log in and play whatever the local stock market is. Such a shame I'm too lazy and stupid to put forth the effort. Not like it matters, since I was only ever going to do it as a hobby and would never make money.
>>
>>1057687

>would never make money.

Did you ever play Runescape? If you did, you wouldn't have heard of the Rat Pits, since it was a minigame nobody ever played. Some hackers found a money doubling exploit, since it was made with broken code back in 2004 that was never updated. These guys had 40+ bots doing rat pits at one time. They made tens of thousands of dollars each.

They did it a few months before that, too, with a relatively new superboss. Exploits everywhere man. Especially with a company like fagex that hires half-intelligent autists at £3.50 an hour.
>>
>>1057471
Breaking terms of service isn't a crime. The worst thing that could hypothetically happen is that jagex would sue you, but even that's next to impossible. They'll just ban your accounts.
>>
>>1057471
You are a stupid bitch.

> Wants it to be 'clean as a whistle'
> Already aware it's against MMO's TOS.

Fucking pick.
>>
Ive created a bot for a minigame that was presumed not bottable. Making about $30/hr running it around 12 hours a day

its pretty cash but you're right about it being gray area. I just declare the damn income and be done with it.
>>
>>1058214

So have you set up a business to declare it, or just as ordinary income? I literally know fuck all about taxation. Have only ever worked for others.
>>
For the people that do this, where do you sell your gold? Is there something like a bitcoin exchange for GP that you can use?
>>
>>1059165
I have a "doing business as" name registered and opened up a separate bank account for it simply to make the income record keeping easier. I have an accountant that does the heavy lifting come tax season.

>>1059345
I personally use a site called Bogla Gold. Completely trustworthy and great service. I bought gold from them as well when I was first starting up in order to invest into training my first bot.
>>
>>1057471
>>1057496

its impossible to get a 90k income from runescape botting. i'm familiar with the runescape black market. one of the top chinese gold business earns only 20k usd per year. botting only gets harder and harder on rs because jagex is constantly improving their anti bot tactics. its not worth the effort.
>>
>>1057471
As long as the gov't gets their piece of it they don't care about the details
>>
>>1060032

What new avenues or exploits do you see coming with games or mmo's? Cosmetic items? Botting? Item market cornering?
>>
you can't file for taxes, you can use bitcoins, or find a good tax lawyer but if you aren't making six figures they probably aren't good enough to help you. setup temporary bit coin wallets use gyft to transfer things to yourself buy work clothes take courses online but don't pass the certification. If your not making 10 grand a year extra and putting it in your bank account uncle sam won't give a flying fuck. Anyways in order to suceed in life everyone cheats don't file for taxes on osrgp tho ever.
>>
>>1060595
Depends on how those games create value,in csgo,tf2 and dota 2 is cosmetics,in mmo botting.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.