[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Frugal thread.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: photo.jpg.png (149KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg.png
149KB, 900x900px
Frugal thread, post tips.
>>
Farmer's markets are the best places for cheaper groceries. They're usually more fresh too. Unrelated to frugality, but you'll meet lots of nice people there if you're frequent.
>>
Can i be fined for ony using 50 degrees in my house with lots of coats? I live in a rich area and theyfine out of the ass to try to gentrify
>>
>>1050775
Farmers markets are great ways to get fresh produce. I find I can often get good rates at farm stands too by saving the farmer transportation costs.

Speaking of transportation costs, I haven't owned a car in years. When choosing a new place to live, I look for solid public transportation and a small enough town to walk across.
>>
File: 1452477922662.jpg (636KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1452477922662.jpg
636KB, 1280x1920px
>>1050751
chan-that-must-not-be-named.co/min/catalog.html
>>
>>1050751
No lie, I quit using shampoo and soap when I shower. It takes weeks to adjust, but your body's oils rebalance and your skin and hair become healthier as a result.
>>
>>1050775
Back when I worked overnights at Wallyworld, there where a couple guys who would come in 3 am & buy a bunch of produce. When I went to the local farmers market one day they were there, selling everything for twice what they paid for it.
>>
>>1050751
>Stop eating out
>Stop buying brand name everything
>Stop driving, get a bike, even walk
>Don't pay for cable, all your entertainment
>Stop having friends. Such a waste of money being social.
>>
>>1050751
Google "early retirement extreme"

Systems approach or nothing bro
>>
>drink half a cup lemonade
>pee in drinking cup

Bam, infinite lemonade
>>
>>1050917
Not having friends saves you a ton of money that would otherwise go to eating out, drinking out, paid events, etc. It's great, aside from the crippling loneliness.
>>
>>1050857
I agree; I hate soap and shampoo. I switched off shampoo for diluted apple cider vinegar once per week. It does a better job with my hair than any shampoo ever has. It cleans and deoderizes my hair. It takes out some of the excess oil but doesn't strip your hair like regular shampoos. Once the vinegar evaporates, your hair will smell better than after shampoo (Kinda like what happens when you use vinegar on musty clothes in the washer).

Oh yeah, sure, I'll talk on laundromat frugality since I work in a laundromat and see what works and what doesn't.

-Dish soap is a great and cheap stain pre-treater. Pretreat and keep stains wet if you want to get rid of them.
-Use vinegar for anything that has smells, especially mold/mildew.
-Peroxide works perfect for removing blood.
-If you insist on using bleach, pre-dilute your shit in a cup. Take a detergent cup, fill it 80% full of water, then add a capful or two of bleach. This will make it so you will never have the risk of having even a drop of concentrated bleach hitting your clothes and eating holes in it.
-In my opinion, vinegar is safer and does better than bleach at everything but keeping whites unstained.
-If you actually use a laundromat, always use the stainless steel front loading washers. They came out about 80 years after your classic top loaders and they can handle wash loads much better and more efficiently. The key is to fill these to the top without stuffing them. Trust me, they will run better than if you leave them half or 2/3 full. This is because they spin horizontally and being underfilled, combined with gravity, will cause the machine to become unbalanced. Underfilling machines is old habits from top loading machines and is one of the reasons why you should avoid them.
-As for dryers, it's the opposite. They will run best underfilled so that the items have room to tumble. 1/3 full is perfect, 1/2 loads will take forever to dry and anything more isn't worth the effort.
>>
>>1050921
>retirement
enjoy your fast track towards alzheimers
>>
>>1050751
Start walking daily and pick up cans/bottles for redemption if your state has a deposit

Only buy food that is on sale

Quit drinking starbucks/dunkin/wherever

Go through closets anything you haven't worn in a year gets sold

anything in boxes for more than 12 months gets sold unless it is a collectible or something heirloomy

cut cable/satellite keep internet stream everything and youtube

cut heating in winter to 60-63 degrees cooling in summer to 72-75.

buy cars for cash <$2000 and drive them with only liability insurance and no (or limited) repairs for 2 years or more. repeat as necessary.
>>
pay off your debts before investing
>>
>>1051385
>Go through closets anything you haven't worn in a year gets sold

Protip: Reverse your hangers at the beginning of the year, hang up regularly after. When it's time to clean closet you know what you have, and have not worn all year.
>>
>>1051385
>using heating at all
If you're cold, just wear more clothes
>>
>>1051423
This.

Also, if you have a difficult time saving on your own, setup automatic deposits into a mutual/index fund(s).

Then you limit yourself to an allowance and you're actively saving money.
>>
>>1050751
i re-use teabags
>>
>>1050751
Save hot water:
>half fill a bucket with hot water
>clean and soap up body
>turn on shower to rinse off soap
>cuts shower time down to 1 minute
>>
>>1050751
>Quit doing drugs/smoking cigarettes/drinking.
>Take half of a caffeine pill in lieu of drinking coffee. At Walmart it costs about $4 for 100 pills, so taking half a pill is only 2 cents per morning. Compare that to a $5 Starbucks drink.
>Use coupons. The savings add up. A lot of the time if you write to companies online, they will send you coupons. There are blogs with links posted. A few months ago I spent about 2 hours doing this and received over $100 in coupons. Only write companies whose products you buy anyway.
>Don't pay for music/movies/satellite TV. Everything is stream-able online.
>If you have a girlfriend or are dating, do things that are free. Instead of going to dinner/movie, go on a hike, go to the park, go to the beach, go out late at night and stargaze. Whatever. The best dates are free and you'll build much more intimacy with her than her 20 previous boyfriends who only did dinner/movie dates.
>Don't eat out. You can prepare the same foods at home for half the cost. It adds up.
>Get hobbies that don't require you to keep paying money or only require a one time start up cost. For example, buy a guitar and learn how to play. There are free lessons on Youtube.
>Learn how to change your own oil/air filter/whatever. Again,there are free tutorials on Youtube that are absolutely killer.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>1050781
Coats, eh? What about vests?

What are you even saying? You talk like a fag and you're shit's all retarded.
>>
>>1051830
At a certain point, most of what you've advised is not worth my time. Spending two hours couponing, to get only $100, is not worth my time.

That time could be spent on more productive endeavors.
>>
I also steal things from work.

I work in a large corporate company, I will sneak off to office supplies area and swipe markers/pads of paper/pens/folders/pencils for home use.

From the cafeteria, I take plastic spoons/forks/knives, paper plates, and plastic cups.

The custodian closet is never locked, so during lunch I can swipe toilet paper, tissues, and garbage backs without anyone noticing.

I've been doing this for about 3 years. No one has noticed and no one cares.
>>
>>1051834
>$50/hour isn't a productive endeavor
>lurking 4chan for $0/hr is
>>
>>1051841
Heard of multitasking?
>>
File: 3456.jpg (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
3456.jpg
1MB, 1536x2048px
>rice, oatmeal, potatoes, and bananas are cheap foods. Peanut butter is cheap in terms of calories per dollar. Eating mcdoubles for the gains is a meme.

>I used to own a prepaid phone to save on cell charges, but realized switching to republic wireless will save me money in the long run. look into it, but only if you have wi-fi at home. I paid $16 last month (after the initial $247.64 for the phone itself).

>If you're thinking of buying a treadmill, consider buying a jump rope. It's a lot of cardio and forces you to keep good form throughout.

>I recently installed a $20 programmable thermostat and I assume I've saved -- some -- money, although it's too early for me to say.

also, check out pic related
>>
>>1051841
Or, his leisure time has that much value.
>>
Swallow cum instead to save money on condoms.
>>
>>1051308
if you actually look into ERE , using a systems approach youd have to stay physically active.

Also the point of early retirement is exiting the wage slave rat race not watching netflix all day
>>
>>1051801
-20 outside no heat
pipes freeze solid
oops
>>
>>1051385
>Cars

My man, that's exactly how I do it. I don't find driving to be fun or worth any great investment, most of my friends who bought new ($8,000+) cars have wrecked them and ruined their resale.

If my cheap car lasts more than 2 years it's highly inexpensive with the huge boost that no matter what I can still sell the damned thing even if it has some trouble for a decent chunk of the initial investment back.
>>
I bought myself a good quality mug, big jar of coffee, creamer and bag of brown sugar. saves me atleast 21 dollars a week from not buying coffee at timmies.
>>
>>1050751
>do preventative maintenance on your car
>split costs with roommates. We split food, utilities, & rent. I pay $50/mo food, 25/mo utilities, 300/mo rent
>use spare money to pay down loans while in college.
>>
>>1052078
Idk where you live but cars are fact of life for me. There's no mass transit here, roads are dangerous ice sheets and sidewalks are impassable.

My car cost 2k, have had it for 3 years, runs great, put 35k miles on it, registered the car under my parents name for super cheap insurance, no crashes. Being mobile is the best.
>>
>>1052089
>using cream and sugar
>>
Get your oil changed at walmart for under 30 bucks. Or get the coupon and go for one of the pricier options... avoid those though, and make sure to never get anything else that they are selling.

Use fuel injector cleaner around the time you get an oil change.

Eventually save up to get a jack for your car, oil filter wrench, and a ratchet with adjustable torque to take the oil plug off. Make sure you know the torque on the plug so you don't strip the screw.

Fuck synthetic, buy regular oil.

Change your air filter yourself.

Buy a tire gauge either electronic or non and check the air pressure once a month.

Don't forget to add oil every now and then. Buy it in bulk.

Buy some transmission fluid as well.

Don't wash your car. Let the rain do it.

Buy wipers only when you absolutely need to. Like once per year is good.

Every 5,000 miles or 8,000km, rotate your tires.

Check engine coolant level.

Unhook the battery and brush off the connectors with a wire brush. They are like 50 cents.

Once a month, turn the car on at night and inspect the lights all around the vehicle.

Whenever you get gas, wipe the outside with a rag and the inside with a rag. Wipe down the inside of the cap too.

When you think of it. wiping off the inside of the engine is a good idea as well. Make sure vehicle is turned off, obviously.

And that is how you deal with cars if you don't really know them. All of my suggestions can be a little advanced especially if you have never changed oil or filters or added fluids, but you can search the internet for your car manual.
>>
>>1052078
>>1052475
>>1052093

>having a car
>frugal

pick one
>>
>>1052475
>don't wash your car, let it get caked in filth and let the rubber dryrot
>>
>>1050917
I tried that for a couple of months and fuck that.
>>
>>1052589
You can always use a hose and some soap, dipshit. Or just hit it with soap when it rains.
>>
>>1051836
Bill? Is that you?
>>
>>1052584
walking 12 miles to walmart
>>
>>1050917
jokes aside, networking is one of the best ways to raise your income.
>>
>>1051423
>being a pussy
>>
>>1051832
Coats, the thing you put on the resist cold retard
>>
does living in my parents house and leeching off their pension money count as being frugal?
>>
>>1053633
Read your first post. Shit's autist af
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.