[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /biz/ I'm sending out applications to internships and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: Resume.png (203KB, 826x1169px) Image search: [Google]
Resume.png
203KB, 826x1169px
Hey /biz/

I'm sending out applications to internships and summer jobs. Can you guys give me pointers on my resume?
>>
>>1048175
You've got a motherfucking 3.94 in Physics, you are probably in the top 10 students in your state lol.

Unless grade inflation hit STEM too. Fluent in 3 languages, 6 computer languages and had 3 internships along with merit scholarship.

Suck my dick, you should get into a top internship with this simple resume' or do you want pointers like making 3D rotating images of your fine looking bald head and maybe what piece of classical music to play when they open your PDF.
>>
Other than the languages you have listed, try to demonstrate how you have used the other computer skills in your internships if you can. Employers like to see application and quantification anywhere possible.
>>
>>1048175
Honestly the formatting is what I don't like.

Take a look at U of I Urbana Champaign's resume format.

If you don't feel like doing that I suggest placing language underneath your actual computer skills.

Also, That entire section takes up too much space, you could better utilize the extra whitespace to expand on what/how your experience is relevant to the job you're applying to.

If a highschooler can't read this and then know exactly who you are and what you did in 30 seconds, you're finished.

The people who will get you the interview is not the physics professor, it's the fucking retard in HR who passed it along for him to have final say.
>>
>>1048186
i think the average gpa of our phys majors is ~2.5
>>1048201
>>1048208
Thanks for the pointers guys
>>
>>1048175
Remove the dollar value of your scholarships, putting it on your resume is both retarded and pointless - how you can get a near 4 gpa in physics and not realise that is beyond me.

Get a position above secretary in your student group if possible. vp, p or treasurer look better. I'd personally remove the subjects field also - no one cares what you studied exactly, just that you have the degree (unless it genuinely is relevant to the position).

Put english on top of russian and ukrainian. Put it as native if that is the case so they know you were born here.

Do you have an actual job? Part time or something? If so you need to put it in there, if not you need to get one. No one wants to hire someone with no work exp, relevant or not, a part time job in a normal field shows you can interact with other humans and arent autistic.

Otherwise, p good.
>>
>>1048284
>he dollar value of your scholarships, putting it on your resume is both retarded and pointless - how you can get a near 4 gpa in physics and not realise that is beyond me.

I was told to put it on there by a prof.

>Do you have an actual job? Part time or something? If so you need to put it in there, if not you need to get one. No one wants to hire someone with no work exp, relevant or not, a part time job in a normal field shows you can interact with other humans and arent autistic.

last job on my list is sept. 2015-present, that is my current job
>>
>>1048284
Also, I used to have a couple of jobs in HS, i was a wrestling referee for HS and Women's NCAA wrestling, and I was a waiter for a while, should that be on there?
>>
>>1048297
When was the last time your professor applied for a job? Let alone an industry one. Speak to a HR rep or career counselor rather then a professor, most of the time lecturers and others in educations have very little or no real world experience in their field, especially not recent experience, hence why so much taught at university tends to be irrelevant to the job. I wouldn't put the dollar value.

I would put the job you had longest and the one that is most normal on there - its hard for HR to look at your tutoring work for example because they won't know what it entails, and theh have been such short stints (a few months at best) which looks to me more like work exp. Or placements more than genuine work. While it's excellent experience and worth including you really should have a normie job in there unless you are trying to get into academia.
>>
>>1048175
Physics degree here - now business owner with 250 employees. Essentially, if you aren't getting your PhD you're fucked and should look into other fields.
>>
>>1048297
>I was told to put it on there by a prof
Sheesh, who the hell puts salaries on resumes?

What are you going for, OP? Internship? Research? Job? With your GPA and research you should get into grad school no problem. Nobody knows what to do with someone who has a BS in Physics (unless they can code).
>>
OP
Congrats on the credentials. Good luck in your hunt. Why didn't you just choose Engineering?

Optics bubble burst years ago. I know in Ottawa Canada they have some tech firms related to the fiber optics field.

>>1048332
What type of business do you have?
>>
>>1048175
Solid, impressive resume tbqhwy
>>
>>1048348
Business services and logistics
>>
Op here

>>1048348
I regret picking physics. I honestly want to just do Optics Engineering. I'll be doing EE grad school.
>>1048346
I've essentially been applying to everything. A few intel internships, lockheed, REUs
>>
>>1048417
Optics Engineering and EE dovetail. You will definitely find something that would be thesis project worthy that will encompass both.
>>
>>1048175

Listen, despite all the BS they give you in college resumes literally don't mean shit. You either know someone who is recommending you, so your resume doesn't matter, or you're cold applying and they're just going to run your resume through a computer. You just copy and paste key words and phrases from the job description into your resume so the computer goes ding ding ding racking up points it when scans yours. It doesn't have to look good or even make sense. When an actual human being reads your resume, it'll be next to a bunch of other ugly, nonsensical resumes that played the same game so you'll be at no disadvantage. Either way, once you're in for the interview, resume will matter even less at that point.
>>
>>1048175
you misspelled society
>>
you could do something like this
Languages: Ukrainian (Fluent), Russian (Fluent), English (Fluent)
repeat for the rest of the skills.

it would make for less of an awkward white space, especially useful if you have something else you'd like to put on there but didnt have the room. like the stuff you mentioned in >>1048303

>>1048284
dont listen to this retard
-dollar value of scholarships show how important they are, nobody knows the difference between a schulich leader or a loran scholar, but they definitely know the difference between a $100 and $60,000.
-i wouldn't put a subjects field, not really necessary
-for the rest of his post, he is complete autist level, you're fine

final recommendation and im suprised nobody else caught this, spelling error in "Physics Honor Socieety", hope you didn't apply to anywhere with this yet :/
>>
>>1048457
thanks i've read this through at least 20 times and didnt catch that
>>
>>1048175
Print your resume on a waifu pillow, it will really impress.
>>
File: Resume.png (207KB, 826x1169px) Image search: [Google]
Resume.png
207KB, 826x1169px
Updated.

What do y'all think?
>>
>>1048537
REVERSE CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER 99% OF THE TIME IS IMPORTANT ANON
>>
>>1048457
Clearly jealous of my superior resume advice. Don't be angry. If you put the dollar value on a scholarship mention you are literal garbage.
>>
>>1048537
Why would you put table tender and wrestling referee experience on there?

Do you have any relevant personal projects or papers?
>>
>>1048896
Clearly there's a disagreement here. You guys just told me to put a normal job on there
>>
Mate. You've already got multiple internships ND research positions, a fucking 3.94 in Physics, and enough awards to make a trust fund baby jealous. You are set for pretty much whatever you want to do.
>>
You could probably remove the 'ten week internship' bit, you already specify the date range, if anything you could maybe put it in parentheses next to the date range.

Other than that looks good, nice everything, wish I was even a 1/10th of the student you were. Whatever at least I have my degree.
>>
>>1048989
it shows that your not an autist anon. life experience and shit. leave it like that
>>
File: resume.png (42KB, 651x847px) Image search: [Google]
resume.png
42KB, 651x847px
Been job hunting for a month now. No luck. Any advice?
>>
>>1050141
Looks pretty solid to me.
Only thing I'd do different is maybe partition the tools/languages section into different levels of proficiency. If you want to be extra sneaky, reorder it so your foremost skills are always whatever the specific job asks for.

Where have you been applying?
You might just need to broaden your search to other states.
>>
>>1050156
>reorder it so your foremost skills are always whatever the specific job asks for
That's really good advice, I'll do that. I also do not have a cover letter, is that crucial?

>Where have you been applying?
Monster and Indeed. I've had 3 phone interviews within the last month. I'm currently talking to a recruiter which should yield some more interviews. I'm also considering stackoverflow.
>>
OP's resume is fake.

Yeah right, gtfo with this bullshit.
>>
>>1048313
>Speak to a HR rep or career counselor rather then a professor, most of the time lecturers and others in educations have very little or no real world experience in their field, especially not recent experience, hence why so much taught at university tends to be irrelevant to the job.
good advice. The HR department is there for a reason.
>>
>>1048989
Yes, I would leave it on there. Employers are looking for people who have spent time doing 'real' work instead of flying round Thailand saving elephants.
>>
>>1050141
You're a little late. These days internship hunting starts in the fall semester.

As a backup, how about REUs? I never did any REUs and it might be too late now but you might want to try looking. You can hit up professors cold if you can sound reasonably interested in what they're doing.
>>
>>1050311
I don't want an internship. I'm looking for a full time job
>>
>>1048721
you were so quick to shit on OP that you didn't even notice a spelling mistake... youre just trying to inflate your epeen
>>
File: cvr_ltr.png (145KB, 738x968px) Image search: [Google]
cvr_ltr.png
145KB, 738x968px
Do you guys think cover letters are still relevant when it comes to apply for a job or does HR just glimps threw it?

>pic related
let me know if there are any tense grammar errors, I kinda suck at keeping my tenses correct.
>>
Here is the accompanying resume for
>1052039

If you guys could give me some honest feedback as well on this, it would be helpful.

Let me know which things you think I should delete (there are a few things I think I should delete but I'm not sure yet).

Thanks everyone.
>>
>>1052039
How long does it take to read a cover letter? 30 seconds?

They're going to give your entire resume 6 seconds. Visually, you need to make whatever is important stand out. Cover letters go directly against that grain.
>>
File: resume_3pg.png (1MB, 1845x771px) Image search: [Google]
resume_3pg.png
1MB, 1845x771px
>>1052039
>>1052054

Resume photo didn't get attached for some reason
>>
>>1052061
Lots of good stuff, but it's way too long. Try for 2 pages max (one page would be even better but might not be able to get across everything you want to): just try to put the best things you did not everything.

Also, put work experience ahead of academic experience or blend the two.
>>
>>1052039
What the fuck is wrong with

Hi I'm interested in your position at such and such. Some of my relevant experience includes 1 2 3. I would be willing to speak more with you over the phone or via email about how my skills can help your company grow.

Regards,

Fuck-tard

The fucking cover letter is not going to get you the job.
>>
>>1052081
I was thinking of removing some of the professional accomplishments since theyre too old

>>1052104
Ill shorten it, its just recently ive been trying to match my cover letter skills with job requirement skills so its a bit lengthy
>>
>>1052081
What do you suggest I remove from the work experience? I feel like there's alot of irrelevant experience but if I remove them, it's quite obvious i haven't had any engineering job experience or job experience in the past years.
>>
My HR professor in college said cover letters piss people off and don't use them unless asked.

I mean what is a cover letter? Saying how you want the job. Wtf is the point? No shit you want to job that's why you gave our hiring people your resume.
>>1048537
your update looks great, I'd hire you.
The spacing, font and use of italics and bold along with line breaking is more important than most people think, makes it stand out and shows you put time into it.
>>
>>1048537
I second this >>1048549 change.

you don't want "person who has your future in their hands" to read server and referee first, leave them on there but change it to reverse chron. order.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.