[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /biz/ I graduated last may with a degree in Economics and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (209KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
209KB, 1152x864px
Hi /biz/ I graduated last may with a degree in Economics and am currently working as a data analyst making $51k a year. I was brought in at $41k/yr but then earned a promotion and a raise. I'm 21 years old about to turn 22.

My family is really pressuring me to get a master's degree. I've been thinking about doing one part time through a state school or something so I can pay for it in cash while I work, but they want me to go to expensive private schools and stop working. They don't intend to help pay or anything, they didn't even help pay for my undergrad.

I don't understand /biz/. Is a graduate degree really that big of a deal? What will it get me that I can't already get? Is it worth 2 years of lost earnings and incurring debt to go to some well known expensive grad school?

Why are they trying to cuck me like this?
>>
>>1046575
Check with your boss. Each company is different how it handles promotions. They won't get mad at you for asking questions like this because it shows ambition and determination.

Just say "I'm looking to improve my position here even more. Should I work on getting a masters or will it be enough if I put that energy towards being more productive?"

Your family isn't bad, i guess, it's just that the biggest meme of the world is "YOU NEED TO GET LOADS O DEGREES OR U DIG DITCHES FOREVER" and they just don't want to see you get stagnant in your place. They don't realize a lot of big companies (unless specifically mentioned) don't care about degrees once you get your foot in the door
>>
>>1046595
This

also, hows the work anon, im debating majoring in economics, either that or finance/math
>>
>>1046597
I enjoy my job alright. Usually the beginning orf the month is boring because we're just making standard end of the month reports for the executives. After that though we tackle ad hoc requests. Before I started doing the data analyst job I was in the fraud department, so I act sort of as a liaison for them, and handle a lot of the fraud requests, so it's cool shit.

Econ is good but make sure to supplement with Stats and math. Same with finance really. If you do that it really opens up your potential. The job I was doing before my promotion I was doing with people with BA's or who didn't even have degrees. Because I had a BS and math/stats experience I was able to move up.
>>
You are an adult and earn over 50k.
Its your life.
Your boss probably is happy with your work.

Theres literally no reason to gamble if YOU are happy with hhow things are going.
>>
>21 years old, already earned a 25% raise
sounds like you're doing a pretty good job OP and they like you, if you're happy and there's room to grow you should stay. only get a masters if there is a position you want that requires the degree. tell your family to fuck off, as wise anon >>1046622 said, you are an adult.
>>
>>1046575

OP, higher education is always good for you and the people around you. Don't stop at your masters, get your PhD.

Also, your parents know what's best for you
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.