[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some methods / types of passive income? Which ones can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: nedroid.jpg (81KB, 499x333px) Image search: [Google]
nedroid.jpg
81KB, 499x333px
What are some methods / types of passive income?
Which ones can someone from the upper middle class have access to?
>>
File: 1452796142778.gif (26KB, 90x90px) Image search: [Google]
1452796142778.gif
26KB, 90x90px
buy houses and have them rented out.
absolutely the easiest thing. then get equity in them and buy more.
repeat until dpon trump tier

do you work a 8-4 job? if so open a bar, work as the manager at night for the first year, then hire another manager and he will do what you did then collect the benefits of their work
>>
>>1045526
>absolutely the easiest thing.

Being a landlord is not "easy".

If you want to be hands off, you have to hire a property management company to manage your properties. You can expect to lose about 10% Gross for their services.

You are also responsible for all taxes, repair costs, and misc costs and fees. You can expect this to be around 20% but it very greatly depending on location and age of the building. The more densely populated the area, and the older the building the higher this will go.

Also factor in interest on the mortgages for new properties and costs associated with buying real estate.
>>
>>1045526
>absolutely the easiest thing
^words from someone who has never owned rentals
>>
>>1045526
It's a lot safer and a lot simpler to simply buy REITs. You get a share in hundreds or even thousands of buildings instead of just one and you don't have to do the work yourself.
>>
>>1045573
I own 5.
>>
>>1045573
well 4, I live in one in san diego. 2 in mass,1 in PA and 1 in florida, the management companies do everything, when i dont have anyone in them then i have to pay for the mortgage, which isnt that bac cause i have a emergency fund.
>>
>>1045768
What about the part for a bar?

I've been debating this since its a lot cheaper than managing property it seems. Do you have any experience you can share?
>>
>>1045655
I agree with this except for one thing, you'll never get the same leverage on a REIT as you can om a property. It's ironic since the REIT has much better diversification, less risk of vacancy, better management, etc. But go to a bank and try to finance a purchase of 400k in REITs, with 10% down. They'll laugh you right out of the building. But they'll give that mortgage to any chowder head with reasonable income and credit score
>>
>>1045774
owning the bar is the only way youll see any significant passive income.
experience?
in reference to managing a bar?
>>
>>1045817
How people think this will be passive. If you're not a crackerjack manager you'll be killed by theft, spillage, spoilage, depreciation, etc
>>
>>1045821
By crackerjack you mean run it like a fucking mob boss.
>>
>>1045824
you need to run it with an iron fist or hire that kind of manager.
>>
Hospitality manager here.

I'm always amazed at the number of people who see running a bar/restaurant as some kind of retirement/passive income thing. It's shitloads of work, all around the clock, no holidays, no week-ends.
If you have the resources, you should rent out a bar. Find a manager to be the owner of the business, not the walls. You collect rent, and don't need to bother about operations.
Business leases are generally less work for the landlord, longer contracts, and tenants have skin in the game and lose income if they get shut down, so less risk of rent payment issues.
>>
>>1046194

I agree. I spent nearly 30 years in the restaurant industry.

I especially like it when the celebrities think "I like EATING at a restaurant, I should own one".

The restaurant industry is a lot like the computer industry... you can't fake it. If you're good you rise, if you're bad you go broke.
>>
>>1046194
>no holidays
Couldn't you, like, just close it down from time to time?
>>
>>1046264
By holidays, I meant Christmas, New Year, etc... You can close but not to celebrate with friends and family, hospitality works the most when every one else is having fun, that's when your make your buck.
>>
What about building passive income from self-publishing? Ebooks, music, YouTube ads, etc... Make content, and let the money trickle in. Anyone have any experience doing this?
>>
>>1046472

It's all crowded to the point of being lottery, like making apps for phones is. Two years ago I looked into stock photos.
> build a portfolio of a few hundred pics
> post it to every stock photo site
> receive income from it til eternity

Guess what? There's pics of everything from every angle already. Me, my pleb cam, and my pleb surroundings got appropriately pounded.

I do have a book published, which is currently in the long-tail mode making 1-3 sales a month. That was in a niche I was an expert in though, so I knew my shit, as well as where and how to push it. Most sales always happen in the first month, then it slowly drops to the stable tail mode.
>>
>>1046454
Ah, ok. Yes, that does sound shitty.
>>
>>1045526
people who live in rented apartments(except college students) are huge failiors and will probably just break the apartment with a sledgehammer when they get drug psychosis
>>
>>1045490
Real estate.

Upper middle class id say buy a trailer park. Here me out. Yourr in charge of maintaining the electric and water going to the trailers. Everything inside and the trailer itself is their problem.

You can even do 55+ only and have HOA regs to keep it nice and keep away scumfucks
>>
Stock dividends
Low cost index tracking ETFs
Annuities
Real estate Trusts
Patents/Copyrights
Rights of exploitation for natural resources

>Semi passive
Peer to Peer lending
Angel investing/Private equity
Real estate, landlord
Active investing, trading
Patent trolling
Affiliate marketing/click-bait/adsense

and you know, if all else fails, a nice pair of kneepads can go a long way
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.