[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is LinkedIn worth it? Seems like more social media bullshit to me.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: image.png (30KB, 1280x347px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
30KB, 1280x347px
Is LinkedIn worth it? Seems like more social media bullshit to me.
>>
Not really. It's pretty pointless. I just have it because people keep asking to add me. So now they can, if that makes them happy.
>>
Easy way to get doxed and stalked by people who know your name.

I've heard about people getting job offers there though.
>>
>>1042083
Old person with semi-lengthy professional history here. I find it mildly useful to keep in touch with people I've worked with, or met at professional events, but with whom I'm not necessarily particularly friendly. Not everyone's card makes it into my various contact lists. I don't have many personal friends on LinkedIn, and I am not Facebook friends with professional colleagues, so they're useful separate networks.
>>
>>1042083
It's worth it because employers and clients might use it to look at your history. It could make or break a prospective job/sale.
>>
>>1042083
It has pretty much replaced traditional resumes for many companies.
>>
>>1042811

Basically this. Personal life. Facebook. Professional life. LinkedIn.

LinkedIn is the place you post those feel good quotes your friends would laugh at you for. Facebook is the place you post the drunken pics from Saturday
>>
>>1042083
I think the 20/30 bucks a month is worth it..

Then again I make 145k/yr and only would because the companies that would pay most found me on linkedin
>>
it costs money to be there? rofl
>>
File: shekels.jpg (41KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
shekels.jpg
41KB, 600x600px
>>1042842
Goodest Goy.
>>
As with most things... it benefits extroverts and fucks introverts in the ass
>>
Never pay for it. It's not worth it just like job sites like "The Ladders" or whatever the hell. Jobs are looking for YOU, you shouldn't have to pay to look for them etc. Consider it like paywalled bullshit in games.

I use LinkedIn because I don't want to friend old colleagues on Facebook. Facebook Business would have been awesome had they gotten into it a DECADE ago.

I'm unemployed currently and I've been able to contact old managers, employees and colleagues-especially those who have gotten promotions or moved up or to different companies. That's gold right there, and most of them are happy to hear from you and help out.
>>
I would say yes. Always have a respectable LinkedIn profile - add uni friends, HR contacts you meet, people you've worked with etc. And over time it will build up into a fairly nice profile. You ideally want a few endorsements, either have or be working on a degree or business, and around 200+ contacts before it becomes useful in general.

I know a handful of people who use it a lot and have got jobs or job offers from it, I personally took a consulting job from it not that long ago, no interview, no resume, they literally just sent me a message on linkedin.

Even if you dont plan on using it much, for anyone in a business field it can be an important aspect of networking.

I'd disagree that it serves extroverts more than intros, I think as long as you are able to fake being outgoing online you can use linkedin very effectively.
>>
>>1042083
It's a good way to stay connected with real professional contacts you would really have no other way of staying in touch with.
>>
Databases and social networks are not made with the purpose to help the users, in principle. They're more of an intelligence tool for recruiters / stalkers etc. But yeah it can have some uses for small end-users
>>
>>1042949
For a pro account. There's a free version but it limits features and constantly nags you about upgrading. It'd be nice to see who's checking my profile but not worth a monthly subscription.

Most of the recruiters who contact me through it are trying to fill shitty IT jobs with high turnover. You know the type. They've got a project that's way behind schedule, crippled by entrenched incompetence, and they keep burning through new people who can't spin fucking straw into gold with a shovel.
>>
I enjoy scoping out what other people in my Industry have done. It's a good way to see a professional pathway laid out in their work history with time spent at each position. You can't get that info anywhere else.
Other than that it's just a bunch of annoying "entrepreneurs" that won't stop posting inspirational quotes about how failure is a good thing.

Also you should make one if you don't plan on using it because hr will screen applicants by checking it out and seeing if you follow their company and if you have professional connections as an indicator of your ability to network. Just put a nice photo on follow some companies you like and let your friends add you
>>
Absolutely worth it. Linkedin has replaced tradition rolodexes and resumes.

My last 2 careers (not jobs) have come from Linkedin
>>
>>1045045
That's useful if you're a recent graduate from college, but otherwise is just knowledge you can't use.
>>
>>1042083
I'd say yes

However its usefulness is highly dependent in what career/field you are in, as well as your career stage, and the number of contacts you have on it.

Id say its best for people who work in the private sector with IT/Programming/Business skills, who are mid-late career with 5-10 years experience under their belt
>>
File: ari-gold.jpg (263KB, 813x1250px) Image search: [Google]
ari-gold.jpg
263KB, 813x1250px
>>1042083
I'm an energy trader for a large trading company. I don't use LinkedIn. I have an agent, like a pro sports agent.

Headhunters have themselves to promote. My agent promotes me to headhunters. I have to admit my current employer was a little put out about my representation but they were in dire straits and hired me to get them out of the ditch. AM Almost A.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.