[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how to invent widget

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: Coffee-cup-eco-dough-covered.jpg (68KB, 560x371px) Image search: [Google]
Coffee-cup-eco-dough-covered.jpg
68KB, 560x371px
How do I invent an appliance? My idea is a novel modification to a household item, think something like a rice cooker. It has niche appeal and I am confident it would succeed if marketed properly. I've been thinking about this for almost a year now and I even wrote up a product proposal draft. I personally know myself and others who would use this invention every day.

But how do I get the ball rolling? I'm just a simple IT guy, not an engineer or industrial designer. I don't have a lot of money. The concept is fairly simple but things like which electronics to use and how to program them I don't know. And how would I go about manufacturing the widget on a large scale? Any guidance at all? Thanks in advance
>>
I wish I could contact you anon but I'm nervous about putting my personal info on 4chan.
>>
>>1038961
then send your contact info to [email protected] within the next 20 minutes!
>>
>>1038952
im exactly in the same seat as you, i have came up with alot of products over years, but those have all been forgotten, though. Today i think i came up with something that would be really big and something i could make big bucks out of.
But yeah, im stuck in the same position as you.
>>
>>1038952

Talk to an electrical engineer. See if he'll split the idea with you 50/50.

Get him to sign something as well.
>>
In b4 tortilla chip warmer
>>
>>1038998
okay, so he helps me draft the schematics and design, but then what? How do we go about marketing it, getting it made, and distribution? How to go about getting start up capital if I need it?
>>
>>1039013
that's my problem to, the whole marketing/making it a sellable product. i would be fine with just making the product and selling it to another company, since it's both risky and expensive to make my own company. But still i dont even know how make contact with the bigger companies out there
>>
>>1039021
you could try emailing them everyday for 6 months
>>
>>1038998
50/50 seems like a big split imo i think i would go for 70/30 then see if he/she will talk you up
>>
>>1040795
my bad meant to say "see if he/she will talk you up to 50/50" because seeing if you can get anything cheaper is always a good thing
>>
>>1038952
>a novel modification to a household item, think something like a rice cooker

FUCKING
CHIP
WARMERS
>>
>>1040839
I don't know wtf a chip warmer is but that's not my idea
>>
perhaps some sort of appliance to increase the temperature of nachos
>>
>>1040839
It's a biz meme, don't bother...
>>
>>1038952
Do like a rice cooker and crockpot in one and sell it with a cookbook you write
>>
>>1041647
This isn't my idea and I'm sure this has been done many times
>>
>>1038969
I'm over here a guy with resources to build and mass produce anything I want but have no ideas....wanna get my ball rolling? Lol
>>
>>1042996
How is this possible?
>>
>>1043098
My father owns a machining company we can make just about anything, we have every machine you would need to cut or size anything you needed down to the millionth of a millimeter also everyone there knows how to use just about every tool there is including me and my father told me if I ever wanted to invent something he has all the resources and I can use them
>>
>>1039021
Unfortunately OP you have a lot of obstacles to overcome. Your best bet is to try to sell your idea, as mentioned, but generally you would first want to build a prototype and get a utility patent.
That part alone could cost you, who knows, $10 to $100k. If anon ITT helps you build a prototype that would be pretty sweet.
Once you have that you can try to set up a meeting with whoever you think might buy it.
I'll warn you though that most of the "awesome amazing ideas" I've heard over the past 5 years or so were mostly kitchen gadgets. Maybe the world doesn't need any more kitchen gadgets.
>>
Make a prototype at a machining shop near you. Or go with anon >>1043441
>>
>>1043441
Are you willing to help me make a prototype of my idea? I don't know if you could do the electronics part, but you could certain do the outer shell and inner casing. Let me know and Ill give you my contact information if you actually think you can help me.

>>1043463
seriously, 10 - 100k? I don't have that kind of money. Also my idea isn't limited to the kitchen per se, it's a bit more general than that.
>>
>>1043559
You'll find nearly all inventors since 1900 have been well off already. It's a rich man's game
>>
>>1043573
But what about investors? Crowd funding? This is the age of the internet, where barriers between product and consumers are minimized!

My product would be especially popular with young people. I bet if I could get my hands on a prototype and make a neat video promotion then I could do a successful kickstarter or something of that nature.
>>
>>1043627
>My product would be especially popular with young people

If its not related to smartphones and apps young people will probably not give a fuck
>>
>>1038952
So you've thought of a new thing for the kitchen? That's a tough market and it's dominated by a bunch of big players. Your best bet is to make up a prototype and then try to sell the idea to a big company. Going alone you will not be successful almost assuredly. Although you might luck out.
>>
>>1038952
YES PLEASE MAKE ME A CHIP WARMER. I want a sleek portable appliance.
>>
>>1043684
But will it fit in my cabinet?
>>
>>1043839
yes it's great for young people, Mexicans, and anyone else who wants that classic restaurant quality warm tortilla
>>
>>1043559
I probably could but it would be more of an interest thing like is this actually worth my time because I have no idea what you're looking to make
>>
>>1038952

>I personally know myself
>>
>>1038998
>>1038952
You want to be talking to a mechanical engineer more bang for your buck, can do the electrical and design details in addition to the costing with the scaling up of production to what ever level you want .
Imo Electrical engineers tend to shy away from a real challenge most times.
>>
Throw together some 3d drafts or make something that looks like a functional prototype out of other appliances and then make a kickstarter. Once you get enough $$ just hire an engineer to do all of the design instead of giving away 50% of your co.
>>
>>1045595
This. If you are serious, its your new hobby. this weeks hobby time? Crash course in 3d modelling/drafting. Newxt month? Diy electronics and schematics.

Bteak it up into pieces and get advice from here even, /diy/ has a LOT of electric knowledge, and if you put in hobby time for 6 months i bet you could get enough of a prototype to make something happen.

If you do into 3d models, shapeways dot com is a 3d printing service that will print whatever you send them, theres some affordable materials.
>>
>>1043441
Are you in TN?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.