[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finance Jobs Books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: randompic.jpg (1MB, 2074x1446px) Image search: [Google]
randompic.jpg
1MB, 2074x1446px
Hello /biz/nessmen,

I'm wondering if you'd be able to provide me with some books that you think would be good for getting an edge on applying for work in investment and finance jobs in the City.

I'm a law student so I don't have a background in finance or economics and would like to spend my last year self-teaching as much as I can in order to be able to go to interviews with levels of knowledge at least comparable to some undergraduates from finance fields.
>>
I have a book called microeconomics and behavior that's alright. I guess it would help.
>>
>>1038772

I guess you want to join as M&A? To get in there is really difficult if you don't have a finance background. You need to fully know accounting, corporate finance, financial markets, financial valuations, m&a procedures and a large etc.

It won't be easy. People who don't come from a finance related backgroun have more chances as traders. Don't want to demotivate you, everything is possible, but it won't be easy. And btw expect a big focus on the question why a law students wants to change to finance. And the answer better don't be "because of the money". It's has to be a very credible story.
>>
>>1038807
I'll look that up, thank you.

>>1038832
Not necessarily M&A, although the legal background would probably be a bit useful there.

Trading I could look at too, but I've no idea how people get good at that before starting the job.

Money isn't the issue, lawyers make decent money here too, starting salaries are bigger than for bankers actually.

Finance just seems much more rewarding and competitive, something that I think I'd like in a career. I started my law degree with the intention of not practising in my field, I simply liked studying it.
>>
>>1038772
OP, you're basically me right now, except I'm not a law student yet. My logic is that an Ivy League law education can be big to becoming in-house counsel. Snagging internships like a dirty broad seeks alimony is probably a good idea, no?
>>
>>1038870

>Money isn't the issue, lawyers make decent money here too, starting salaries are bigger than for bankers actually.

>Finance just seems much more rewarding and competitive, something that I think I'd like in a career. I started my law degree with the intention of not practising in my field, I simply liked studying it.

Okay that really good arguments and it seems that it is what you really think, not a bs story. That's very. And yes as a lawyer you could try to get into a Transaction oriented department. Maybe even Transaction Advisory like Finance Consulting? Idk, but you'll definetly need basic accounting and basic corporate finance. Remember that you don't have a finance background so they'll do a lot of question to know why you want to change (you got that) and if you have the knowledge to work there.

I don't have a special book to recommend you. But definetly start with basic accounting, baisc corporate finance and basic financial markets.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.